Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Moving polyline using center control doesn't set keyframes

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

fullmetalfilm

Moving polyline using center control doesn't set keyframes

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 1:15 am

I'm in Fusion, rotoscoping and using Polyline to create a garbage matte. I'm using the divide and conquer technique - so creating keyframes at beginning, end and middle and then adjusting.

With the polyline node selected in fusion, if I move any single point on the poly it sets a keyframe. I can also set keyframes by selecting all the points and then using my mouse to move a single point which of course moves the entire poly.

However, if I select the center control and drag, which moves the entire poly, no keyframe is set. This doesn't seem correct because the poly points moved and so a keyframe should be set, no matter the method used to move them. Seems like a bug.

OSX: 10.14.6
Resolve: 16.1.2.026.

Thanks,

Mark.

xunile

Re: Moving polyline using center control doesn't set keyfram

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 am

If you move the center point, you are moving the entire shape, this can be animated by keyframing the center x and y points. All of the points of the polyline are staying the same distance from the center point. Moving the points, either one at a time or as a group is affecting the shape, and is actually moving the points independent of the center point. These are 2 different operations, similar but different.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

fullmetalfilm

Re: Moving polyline using center control doesn't set keyfram

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 am

xunile wrote:If you move the center point, you are moving the entire shape, this can be animated by keyframing the center x and y points. All of the points of the polyline are staying the same distance from the center point. Moving the points, either one at a time or as a group is affecting the shape, and is actually moving the points independent of the center point. These are 2 different operations, similar but different.

Thanks Eric, I confirmed you're right about this. And it makes sense to me now. If I set a keyframe on the "Center" X and Y, and then move the center, I get a new keyframe category of "Displacement" appearing and it keyframes reliably. Moving the center doesn't create keyframes until I create that first keyframe for Displacement manually.

Mark.

Return to Fusion