Resolve for iPad Please

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Resolve for iPad Please

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 pm

Now that iPadOS has been announced, I'm very excited for the professional future for iPad Pros. Mainly that external storage is now supported. I've played with Luma Fusion and Adobe Rush, and they're both good editors for the platform, but I'd love to be able to edit BRAW on the iPad Pro. However, before on IOS 12, because of the lack of external storage support outside of Cloud storage, the iPad Pro could never true be used for editing video professional. Now that it's coming, I hope Blackmagic considers making a mobile version of DaVinci Resolve, designed for future iPad Pros.
Last edited by Chris Chiasson on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrate

Re: Resolve for iPad Please

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Please no

Chris Chiasson

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Pyrate wrote:Please no

Why?

Reuben Hustler

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 am

I could see an iPad Pro being usable as a larger monitor with the ability to do some quick and dirty colour grading on location, maybe tied in with the camera control, but a MacBook Pro gives you that now with only slightly more bulk. Admittedly the ability to use the pencil on the iPad would be a plus, but we’ll maybe be able to do that with the new sidecar feature in macOS Catalina.

JPOwens

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Chris Chiasson wrote:
Pyrate wrote:Please no

Why?

The latest WWDC saw the announcement of a newer and much bigger macPro, which turns out to be a throwback to the old modular silver tower.

The reason?

Because the trashcan/coffeecan wasn't up to the task.

Perhaps an iPad version would be good for the iPhone movie makers, but you aren't going to be working with anything more than what might have been shot on the mobile device. Maybe "HD", UHD if you only want the device to last for a few hours, and anything beyond would only be inviting the "why won't my iPad battery last more than a few seconds?" and "why did it burn out?" threads... after the "why are there so many glitches in my output video?" and "do you really need 128GB of VRAM for 12K?"

Why wouldn't BMD just add it to their line of cameras, so that it functioned on the device instead of giving away a free license of Resolve with every one of them?

Going back a few years, AVID actually ported out a version of editing software for the original iPad, sort of an iMovie MediaComposer called AVID Studio. No uptake. Sold to Corel. I have a version. Really.

jPo, CSI
Attachments
AVID_Studio iPAD.PNG
screenshot original iPad
AVID_Studio iPAD.PNG (708.39 KiB) Viewed 26814 times

TijmenWolf

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 am

I hope they do. Mainly for the editing part.
So you can start editing on the go, and finish the project later on a better machine.

Seen alot of people on youtube editing 4k video's on the ipad pro's.

And yes i know, it won't be good for anything heavy.
But it will be sick for smaller projects, whom are shot on "smaller" camera's.
Editor | Camera | Color | Production

From the Netherlands

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 12:51 am

I can imagine a quick edit and trying some looks on location. After all, the screen is really good. If they’d integrate ColorTRUE it could even be calibrated.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

RCModelReviews

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 am

And a version for the Apple iWatch perhaps? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Mark Foster

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:And a version for the Apple iWatch perhaps? :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

+g*
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Frank Engel

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 12:09 pm

I would rather they developed a virtual control surface for the iPad (and even Android tablets for that matter).

Yes, there are a few generic ones out there now, but in the end they don't work as well with Resolve as a dedicated Resolve-specific app could: instead of trying to simply mimic a physical control surface, it would be nice if the app would move the panels from the desktop app to the tablet screen and show the color wheels, curves, etc. on the tablet's touchscreen. If we can also (optionally) hide those interfaces on the computer screen when the app is connected and have multiple tablets connected at once, this could be a useful improvement, particularly when using Resolve on a laptop in a portable configuration...

All of that said, isn't this thread in the wrong section of the forum?

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:06 am

As long as an iPad has no tactile feedback, I’d pass.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

JPOwens

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Uli Plank wrote:As long as an iPad has no tactile feedback

But... GarageBand...

I get it.

I very occasionally use the Element Vs app to do some preliminary spotting if I am out visiting a client at a remote, but it's not what I would choose as a device for a master grade. Works fine on an iPad Air that I picked up for cheap from OWC, and really beats lugging around a panel, especially if I'm going the Piper Apache route over to the mainland or something.

jPo, CSI

JPOwens

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Frank Engel wrote:
All of that said, isn't this thread in the wrong section of the forum?

If you don't think of Resolve as a color correction application, but instead as a portable NLE then this is probably the right forum.

jPO, CSI

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:12 am

Maybe BMD could port the Resolve Cut Page into a stand-alone editor for iPad?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Frank Engel

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 am

JPOwens wrote:If you don't think of Resolve as a color correction application, but instead as a portable NLE then this is probably the right forum.

There is a dedicated DaVinci Resolve forum:

viewforum.php?f=21

If you look at the descriptions on the "General" forum page, the DaVinci Resolve forum is described as "Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve."

The Post Production forum is described as "Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?".

I believe this thread belongs in the DaVinci Resolve forum, not the Post Production forum.

JPOwens

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:27 am

Frank Engel wrote:Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring

would be more about BMD hardware issues involved in Post Production, I guess, which was less of an encompassing theme when the Forum ecosystem was founded, given the narrow focus that Resolve had at that time.

There will always be a certain amount of debate around whether a big tentpole with every instrument in the philharmonic playing (not using the loaded word "Symphony" for legal reasons :D ) is a good solution. Engineering will push the boundaries of common sense until the aircraft is so big and complicated (or bridge, or skyscraper, or ship.. or...) that it crashes or collapses, and then they re-figure it.

The biggest single problem that has been a common theme since commodity-platform applications started appearing for color management is cross-platform commonality of timeline sharing. One manufacturer's approach to another's was and still is a mine field. What happens is The Fisherman's Wife fable where it starts out as, I'd like to just export my timeline from here to there and get it back, but it always evolves into "Need to be Master of the Universe and rule the sun, moon, and planets." And so the Fusion and Fairlight pages start dragging the system requirements around by the tender bits. Which are obviously not going to run on an iPad.

So the argument turns back on itself...

jPo, CSI

karmacomposer

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:19 pm

The iPad Pro 2018 is so powerful it actually destroys high end core i7 laptops.

I would love to edit with Da Vinci Studio on my 12.9” iPad Pro and I would also love it to morph into a dedicated controller for Da Vinci Studio as well.

Any chance of both and I would spend the money.

Mike

Phil999

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am

a simple .braw viewer app would be a nice. Like the one on Mac, and recently on Windows. Why not on iPad, since this iPadOS allows reading from external flash media?

Advanced features like editing, colour correcting and grading may follow in future, but a simple viewer app could be done this year without much technical problems as far as I can see.

Janis Lionel

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:50 am

Phil999 wrote:a simple .braw viewer app would be a nice. Like the one on Mac, and recently on Windows. Why not on iPad, since this iPadOS allows reading from external flash media?

Advanced features like editing, colour correcting and grading may follow in future, but a simple viewer app could be done this year without much technical problems as far as I can see.

+1 would be terrific.
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 5:02 pm

I assume iPad Pro should have no problem with editing ProRes or h264 (thanks to dedicated HW h264 decoder), so simple editing should be doable.

Andrew Welch

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I assume iPad Pro should have no problem with editing ProRes or h264 (thanks to dedicated HW h264 decoder), so simple editing should be doable.

It also has hardware h.265/HEVC decoding. My 2015 MacBook Pro (i7, 16GB, M370X w/2GB) can’t play back 400mbps HEVC from the Fujifilm X-T3 properly but my 2018 iPad Pro handles it with ease.

LumaFusion for the iPad is no joke, it’s quite amazing how fully featured it is. However, I would prefer a mobile version of Resolve simply to make cross platform functionality more seamless. Even a version with just basic editing functionality and color tools would be great- I’m not expecting power windows, tracking, noise reduction, etc.

Frank Engel

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Andrew Welch wrote:make cross platform functionality more seamless. Even a version with just basic editing functionality and color tools would be great- I’m not expecting power windows, tracking, noise reduction, etc.

Yet without power windows how cross-platform would it really be?

Sure, you could argue that the mobile version will ignore noise reduction settings in the project and render without, and that it will not offer tracking, but without power window support, how would it handle rendering of color node trees in existing projects copied over from the desktop version... not to mention Fusion comps?

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:17 am

Phil999 wrote:a simple .braw viewer app would be a nice. Like the one on Mac, and recently on Windows. Why not on iPad, since this iPadOS allows reading from external flash media? Advanced features like editing, colour correcting and grading may follow in future, but a simple viewer app could be done this year without much technical problems as far as I can see.

I'd have no problem with a BRAW viewer. But that's a far cry from trying to edit or color correct on an iPad. I think that's fraught with trouble for a lot of reasons.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Janis Lionel

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:14 pm

BRAW viewer would be amazing.

But: First the Ipad need to become a reliable file handler. Using the iPad for transferring large files is a catastrophe! It's way below what the Gen 2 would be able to handle. When using the iPad for writing files from a external SSD to HDD via adapter you get below 10 MB/s. A thing that was overlooked by all so called 'professionals' on Youtube who hyped iPad OS. Also a shame for Apple since files transfer is not rocket sience. So far the iPad Pro is unusable for files backup*. Shame! Thats a big reason I bought it for.

*Also because there is no way to check folder size.
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

timberthrax

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 pm

It would be awesome to have something that could prep a project in the field and then feed it into Resolve. What would be even more awesome is if BM released an iPad app that worked as a control surface for Resolve. I want touch jog wheels.

Peter Cave

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 am

timberthrax wrote:It would be awesome to have something that could prep a project in the field and then feed it into Resolve. What would be even more awesome is if BM released an iPad app that worked as a control surface for Resolve. I want touch jog wheels.

The Tangent app may work for you.

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 4.30.23 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 4.30.23 pm.png (586.6 KiB) Viewed 15398 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Georg Pelzer

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 9:19 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I assume iPad Pro should have no problem with editing ProRes or h264 (thanks to dedicated HW h264 decoder), so simple editing should be doable.

It's 2021 and unfortunately, there is STILL no ProRes support in iPadOS.......
Georg Pelzer

Tim Franks

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Well considering that production teams love the iPad thanks that footage looks the same on any iPad.
With the M1 and supposedly easy on the CPU then ProRes :roll: it should be easy to bring a BRAW viewer to iOS.

Now you need large production use Blackmagic cameras. :D

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 1:24 am

No. I rather they spent their R&D money and time improving Resolve as it is and fixing bugs quickly, and possibly invest on a color grading control panel that will sell for $295 that can seat next to the speed editor for the small time and individual Resolve users.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 am

Second that.

Return to Post Production