Missing audio of imported media file

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

2b2bff

Missing audio of imported media file

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi,

I have some TV recording that is originally an AVI file. My goal is to cut out all the parts of the recording that is not the movie, like commercials. I use Resolve 16.2 on macOS Catalina.

As Resolve cannot open the AVI directly I use VLC to convert it to an mp4 file by copying the video and audio content. This gives an mp4 file with H.264 video and MP3 audio. However if I open this in Resolve it insists on an AAC audio track - what is not there and thus silent.

If I use VLC to convert the audio track of the video to AAC, it works. And if I use VLC to export only the audio to some MP3 file, this file can be opened in Resolve as well.

Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers

Juan Salvo

Re: Missing audio of imported media file

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:21 am

No, you’re not missing anything. The mp3 audio codec is very rarely paired inside an mp4. And never paired with any kind of camera originated material. Presently resolve doesn’t support it, and the process you’ve described would be one way around. You may want to look at other software to convert as ideal you can avoid the mp3 mid step. There used to be an app called mpeg stream clip which was useful on stuff like this, but I haven’t used it in a very long time. FFMPEG would definitely be able to do this, but is a command line tool, can have a little bit of a learning curve.

2b2bff

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 am

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this is no MP3 mid step. The MP3 is already there in the source file I use.

I'm new to Resolve and editing videos in general. I guess I can use the MP3 as an additional audio track, instead of the embedded "AAC"?

Last time I find out, after I already cut out the commercials in the video. I struggled to find out how to apply the same cutting to the MP3 that I loaded in the project at this time...

FederikFer

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 am

I'm sorry, what kind of converter did you use to convert avi to mp4? Cause the one I tried ruins the quality( And btw what about cutting the video/audio I would suggest vlc. And I also found a good article on this theme https://movavi.io/how-to-trim-video-in-vlc-en/.
Last edited by FederikFer on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

2b2bff

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 pm

I don't remember exactly. I guess I just used the H.264 one and configured it to copy the video and audio part. It's more about the container that is not understood by Resolve...

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm

VirtualDub2 is a pretty competent tool for conversions.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve