Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kappei

Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

I know the topic has been discussed in different ways and forms but I can't find a feedback about my precise setup and I'm having a couple of issue, I wish someone could help me!

I'm trying to power my BMPCC 4k with the following:

Feelworld monitor FW568 with DC OUT 8.4 Volt

Baxxtar Energy NP-970 Plus (7.2V . 10500mAh 75.6Wh)

Dummy LP-E6N

Haven't tested the overall power duration with a full charged battery but I have this issue:

Camera won't power up if I connect the Dummy to the DC OUT 8.4V on the monitor. It tries to boot continuosly but can't fully boot.

IT WORKS if I connect the Dummy to the DC-OUT ON the Battery itself (this battery model has one DC and one USB out), and I'm able to power both the Monitor and the Camera this way.

What I don't get is why the monitor dc out can't power the camera on.

It depends on the battery V? (7.2V throuh a DC OUT 8.4V? I'm not an electric expert so I can't say). Note that it doesn't work with classic NP-970 batteries as well.

Hope someone can help! ty

Denny Smith

Re: Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 8:10 pm

The monitor’s DC-DC power supply was designed for lower wattage applications, like mirrorless or DSLRs, the Pocket 4K need a minimum of around 22 watts, which your battery can supply, but not the Monitor output. I had the same issue with a SmallHD Focus Monitor. That said, I would be careful powering a monitor and camera with the same battery, as ground loop issues can occur, resulting in damage to camera or monitor. I personally prefer to power mine from separate batteries, or a battery pack like Dmitry’s Micro Camera pack, which has regulated individual outputs, but even Dmitry feels their is still a risk of a static feed back.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kappei

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 1:20 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The monitor’s DC-DC power supply was designed for lower wattage applications, like mirrorless or DSLRs, the Pocket 4K need a minimum of around 22 watts, which your battery can supply, but not the Monitor output. I had the same issue with a SmallHD Focus Monitor. That said, I would be careful powering a monitor and camera with the same battery, as ground loop issues can occur, resulting in damage to camera or monitor. I personally prefer to power mine from separate batteries, or a battery pack like Dmitry’s Micro Camera pack, which has regulated individual outputs, but even Dmitry feels their is still a risk of a static feed back.
Cheers

I see, thanks.
I'm trying this setup because found out different people on the web that are happy with it, and because I absolutely need an as lightweight as possible solution to power the camera from an external source. And having 2 NP-970 batteries (1 per monitor, 1 per camera) on the same rig is not that great.

Would a V-Mount battery which power the camera through the AC input and the monitor through it's DC input a feasible solution, or you discourage the same power source for both monitor and camera in any case? (so independently from the source battery capacity)

Nick Heydon

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 am

I power my camera and monitor through a v-mount plate that has D-tap and a few DC outputs.

So I run the monitor with D-Tap and the camera with a 7.2v - lpe6 dummy battery. I chose to go this route so I can leave everything rigged up when I put it in the bag. I don't like the idea of the power-cable sticking out of the camera when it's in the bag, and don't want to plug/unplug every-time I want to shoot.

Kappei

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:I power my camera and monitor through a v-mount plate that has D-tap and a few DC outputs.

So I run the monitor with D-Tap and the camera with a 7.2v - lpe6 dummy battery. I chose to go this route so I can leave everything rigged up when I put it in the bag. I don't like the idea of the power-cable sticking out of the camera when it's in the bag, and don't want to plug/unplug every-time I want to shoot.

Thanks,
for what I understood by surfing the web, a V mount is a definitive a safer solution and is something I'll aim to.

Still try to setup a lighter rig with 1 np970 meanwhile

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 am

A single NP 970, does not have the watt hour power to power both a Pocket 4K and the Monitor. The camera requires 22-30 watts alone. This is why you need a larger battery setup. Dmitry’s Micro Camera Battery back has the owner to run both, I have tested this with a Picket 4K and a PixE 5-inch Monitor, which has a bigger power draw than the Freeworld Monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Shivers

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 am

Buy a npf battery with the dc port in it then get a lpe6 dummy battery to dc. Stick that dummy battery in the pocket 4K and the dc cable in the npf battery. I have the atomos shinobi 5 sdi and I use that to power the pocket 4K and the monitor. It gives me about two hours

Kappei

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:Buy a npf battery with the dc port in it then get a lpe6 dummy battery to dc. Stick that dummy battery in the pocket 4K and the dc cable in the npf battery. I have the atomos shinobi 5 sdi and I use that to power the pocket 4K and the monitor. It gives me about two hours

nice, this is my setup actually, I just hope that long term usage is not going to cause electrical issues as mentioned before

Diegis

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:Buy a npf battery with the dc port in it then get a lpe6 dummy battery to dc. Stick that dummy battery in the pocket 4K and the dc cable in the npf battery. I have the atomos shinobi 5 sdi and I use that to power the pocket 4K and the monitor. It gives me about two hours

I find this one of the most efficient solution so far, for my needs... Thanks!

Boscom

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Denny Smith wrote:A single NP 970, does not have the watt hour power to power both a Pocket 4K and the Monitor. The camera requires 22-30 watts alone. This is why you need a larger battery setup. Dmitry’s Micro Camera Battery back has the owner to run both, I have tested this with a Picket 4K and a PixE 5-inch Monitor, which has a bigger power draw than the Freeworld Monitor.
Cheers

I get 3 hours runtime with a NPF 990 running both the BMPCC 4K and a 5" Monitor.

There's no need for all this 'dummy battery' nonsense. A Tilta NPF battery plate (and I'm sure there are other brands), will supply the 12v to the camera power port and the 7v for the Feelworld monitor.
An NPF970 will give you some decent runtime, but a NPF990 would be better.

tonybeccar

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 5:24 am

Boscom wrote:
I get 3 hours runtime with a NPF 990 running both the BMPCC 4K and a 5" Monitor.

May i ask what brand of F990 battery are you using? I'm doing test runs right now with Kastar ones and cannot get over 2 hours with the p4k and 5" monitor.

Thanks!

johngwheeler

PostMon May 10, 2021 5:52 am

I would also be interested in knowing which NP-F batteries have a power output that can drive the Pocket 4K.

I've just bought the Feelworld FW568 (the Pocket 4K arrives in a few days), and was hoping to power the camera from the monitor as well - which looks it's a no-go.

I haven't been able to find NP-F batteries with a power output that isn't USB-A - which presumably tops out at 500-2000mA, which might not be enough for the camera.

Return to Cinematography