ATEM Mini only input 1 works

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

thomgonz

ATEM Mini only input 1 works

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 4:46 am

Hello everyone, hope this is the right place for this question/tech support.

I just setup my Black Magic ATEM Mini with 3 cameras, Panasonic HC-V770. The only input that seems to work is input 1. The other inputs only show a black screen, input 2 flashes up the video briefly if I unplug the hdmi cable and put it back in. If I switch the HDMI cables around to be in slot 1 that camera works, so I don't believe it's an issue with the cameras. Did I miss something in setup, or is there a way to update the ATEM? I installed ATEM 8.1 software control, but I don't see anything in there for updating the ATEM. It does seem to pickup audio off the mics based on the audio panel in ATEM control.

Thank you,
Thomas

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: ATEM Mini only input 1 works

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 pm

U need connect ATEM with USB cable and run ATEM SETUP utility to update firmware ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

thomgonz

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 am

Through backordering silliness with B&H I had a second ATEM mini show up today, I replaced the ATEM and still get the same issue. I found the ATEM setup, I didn't realize it down loaded with the ATEM Software Center, I'm running 8.1 on both devices.

So same issue even with a completely different ATEM Mini. I'll see if different cameras work for some reason, but whatever I plug into spot 1 works, the other spots don't.

Ian Morrish

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:37 am

ATEM Mini should already have the latest firmware.

Try manually settings your camera HDMI out to 1080p as the ATEM Mini doesn't scale 4k down. Most external devices should set their output based on the EDID sent from the ATEM, but it doesn't always work (sequence of connecting and powering on etc).

If you only have an HDMI monitor connected to the HDMI Out, then it depends on the ATEM Software control settings for the following:
Output menu on the top bar. should be set to Program. Then it depends on the format specified from the gear menu bottom left. Auto Mode means whatever is on input 1 will try to be matched for output and all other inputs will convert to this format (monitor needs to support the same rate). This is default.
Try changing it to another standard that your HDMI monitor supports.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

thomgonz

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:19 am

*RESOLVED*

Figured out the issue, 25 ft HDMI cables are too long. What's interesting is it's good enough for slot 1, but not the rest. If I have the 25ft cable in 1 and use shorter cables to 2 and 3 it works perfectly. I ordered some 15 cables to see if those work. If not I might have to look at changing the setup.

I want to thank Ian for the super insightful post, even though that wasn't the issue it got me down the path of thinking about how the connection was being negotiated. I per-preemptively ruled out "bad" cables since all 3 work while in slot 1. Makes me wonder what the difference between that input and 2-4 is.

Firworks

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm

If you need that kind of length lookup "Redmere" HDMI cables. I'm running a few 35ft in our studio and they seem to be working fine with the ATEM Mini. I do have a 25ft normal HDMI cable that also works with the Mini but it might just be cable to cable variance and it's on the edge of working or something.

thomgonz

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 am

Firworks wrote:If you need that kind of length lookup "Redmere" HDMI cables. I'm running a few 35ft in our studio and they seem to be working fine with the ATEM Mini. I do have a 25ft normal HDMI cable that also works with the Mini but it might just be cable to cable variance and it's on the edge of working or something.

Awesome! If the 15 foot cables don't work out I'll look into those ones. I should be fine with 15 ft but if I ever rearrange the locations I might need one around 30.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 am

BMD recommenced Keelung HDMI cable’s to 12-feet or less.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kevin McGrath

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 pm

I woulda rather invest in sdi to HDMI converters rather than longer HDMI cables

I am not 100% sure but I also think there is a setting saying atem input one only
Something to that effect.
So please check your settings in the software
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:06 am

thomgonz wrote:*RESOLVED*

Figured out the issue, 25 ft HDMI cables are too long. What's interesting is it's good enough for slot 1, but not the rest. If I have the 25ft cable in 1 and use shorter cables to 2 and 3 it works perfectly. I ordered some 15 cables to see if those work. If not I might have to look at changing the setup.

25ft cables work, you just need the right ones ;-)

bluesgeek

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 am

Kevin McGrath wrote:I woulda rather invest in sdi to HDMI converters rather than longer HDMI cables

I am not 100% sure but I also think there is a setting saying atem input one only
Something to that effect.
So please check your settings in the software

I use these Comprehensive HDMI (ethernet) Extenders.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/667676-REG/Comprehensive_CHE_1_CHE_1_HDMI_Splitter.html

Return to Live Production