CCTV DVR Spot Monitor Issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

cctvwork

CCTV DVR Spot Monitor Issue

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello everyone, and Xtreemtec :) I am an amateur. I had a cctv dvr that died. One camera channel had a spot monitor being used - analog in, analog out. The monitor was a regular PC monitor but with a bnc port for video in. The run is a long way. The new dvr only has hdmi video out for spot monitors so I was thinking I would use the BMD micro hdmi to SDI. It is not working. Do I have the right product? If not is there another solution, avoiding running new cable?

For test purposes (which doesn't work either) I have my laptop --> hdmi --> bmd converter --> rg6 coax bnc --> a cctv field test monitor by Triplett

I adjusted resolutions on the laptop in all directions. The test monitor will display all kinds of resolutions directly from the laptop over hdmi or from the camera via coax.

I appreciate any advice.

Xtreemtec

Re: CCTV DVR Spot Monitor Issue

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Your Spot monitor is Analog CVBS Composite video. And not SDI Serial Digital Video....

What you need is a HDMI > Composite converter at the DVR. And then just the long video line to the monitor.. Thats it.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cctvwork

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Thank you! I am not seeing such a product here at BMD. My quick search online gives me plenty that output to RCA. Can you recommend a brand that outputs to a bnc connection or do I need a further conversion? Pardon my ignorance.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am

BMD does not have a HDMI to CVBS. And yes the internet is full with converters doing that.
I have no idea which to pick because we use Pro gear all the time ;)

You need a passive adapter.

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 am

Maybe somewhere in the "gamers" community, or maybe a home-theatre setup device... (scaler)
but a google does learn, that amazon and ebay etc... doo have these kind of devices, only it's very doubtful,
if they will work, being HDMI very complex......
your google should be HDMI to AV or cvbs
The MINI HDMI2AV seems to be one that does the job, by viewing some youtube videos..... this one has also a NTSC/PAL switch to set for the different tv standards, but also for the different US color frequencies ?
this box comes at a cheap price.....
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started