Pocket Cinema 4K Not working with Panasonic Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pierceal

Pocket Cinema 4K Not working with Panasonic Lenses

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Hello,

I just purchased a lightly used Pocket 4K as an upgrade from my Panasonic G85. I am having an issue with it communicating with with my native lenses. There is no iris control under firmware 6.6 or 6.5. All the lenses are updated to the latest firmware from Panasonic. I also reset the camera to factory defaults.

I am using
Panasonic 1.7 25mm (H-H025K)
Panasonic 14-42mm power zoom (H-PS14042S)
Panasonic 45-175mm power zoom (H-PS45175K)

I only plan on using the 25mm with this camera but none of them display the iris control options. They work flawlessly with my G85. Is there something I am missing? I am hoping this doesn't need to be sent in for service.

Thanks,
Alex

bobosola

Re: Pocket Cinema 4K Not working with Panasonic Lenses

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 7:00 pm

There are lots of mentions on here about Panasonic lenses on the PCC4K but this problem has never come up before so far as I can recall. And I can confirm that iris control works fine for me with my Panasonic Leica 12-60 on my PCC4K running v6.5 and now 6.6

Any possibility that the lens contacts on the body and/or lenses are dirty? Maybe the PCC4k does not attach to lenses with the exact same contact pressure as the G85? I haven't tried it myself but isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab seem a popular choice out there for cleaning camera & lens electrical contacts. I'd give that a try first before sending it in for service.

pierceal

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 pm

bobosola wrote:There are lots of mentions on here about Panasonic lenses on the PCC4K but this problem has never come up before so far as I can recall. And I can confirm that iris control works fine for me with my Panasonic Leica 12-60 on my PCC4K running v6.5 and now 6.6

Any possibility that the lens contacts on the body and/or lenses are dirty? Maybe the PCC4k does not attach to lenses with the exact same contact pressure as the G85? I haven't tried it myself but isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab seem a popular choice out there for cleaning camera & lens electrical contacts. I'd give that a try first before sending it in for service.

I will give that a try. The lens is fairly new with maybe a couple hours of video shot with it. One observation I made this morning was that powering up the G85 opens the aperture all the way. When powering up the PCC4K, the lens does nothing. At max ISO (so I can see something) touch focus does nothing. It's almost as if the lens doesn't have power.

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:20 am

Yes, something is wrong. I have used numerous Panasonic MFT Native AF lenses, and have full control,iris and focus. Look at your camera menu, to see how you have Auto Exposure set, to get Manual iris control, you need to select Auto Expsure to Off on the display when you:
Camera must be fitted with a lens that supports changing aperture via the camera.
Tapping the ‘iris’ indicator once brings up the iris menu along the bottom of the touchscreen. You’ll see your current lens aperture at the far left of this menu. You can change the aperture by tapping the left and right arrows on either side of the current aperture, or moving the slider left or right.
While in the ‘iris’ menu, tap the arrows on either side of the iris indicator or use the slider to adjust iris settings
Tapping the ‘auto exposure’ switch icon at the far right of the iris menu opens the iris auto exposure menu.
This gives you the following auto exposure options.
Iris
This setting automatically adjusts the aperture to maintain a constant exposure while keeping shutter angle consistent. This will keep motion blur unaffected, but may affect your depth of field.
Iris + Shutter
Maintains the correct exposure levels by adjusting the aperture, then the shutter value. If the maximum or minimum available aperture is reached and exposure still cannot be maintained, your camera adjusts the shutter value to keep exposure consistent.
Shutter + Iris
Maintains the correct exposure levels by adjusting the shutter, then the aperture. If the maximum or minimum available shutter value is reached and exposure still cannot be maintained, your camera adjusts the aperture to keep exposure consistent.

To,the far right of the bar is Auto Esposure On/Off soft button. Once AF is off, you can use the exposure slider to change the front/stop, or use the left and right arrow buttons. If one of the three AE modes is selected, then the buttons will not work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography