[HELP] Black and Red Bars in RAW

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

RabitHole

[HELP] Black and Red Bars in RAW

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I shot a commercial and reviewing the footage on the camera seemed good.
No back home, I'm going through the footage and some of them have these weird bars as u can see in the attachment..

I updated BRAW as well as Davinci.
In Davinci, I don't have these bars, but instead everytime they show up (almost flickering) it says "Offline Media".

The footage itself should be good, cause on Camera it was okey and in the BlackMagic RAW Player it also plays without any issues..

Any ideas what the problem might be?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 20.59.21.jpg
Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 20.59.21.jpg (251.16 KiB) Viewed 7896 times

RabitHole

Re: [HELP] Black and Red Bars in RAW

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 7:49 am

UPDATE:

Seems almost it's the clips in 60fps(project frame rate) that were recorded in 300fps with a variable framerate (Q0)..

Also: If I export the clip, untouched in a h264 the bars are visible.. Any clues?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:52 pm

Sounds like your card was dropping frames and couldn't keep up with the frame rate.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

wllking.la

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:58 pm

I had the same issue after shooting a wedding...I'm using the recommended Samsung 500GB SSD. I shot everything at 60 FPS.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.36.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.36.35 PM.png (373.74 KiB) Viewed 7783 times

RabitHole

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 am

How come then, that in camera it looks normal, and as well as in the raw player?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 pm

RabitHole wrote:How come then, that in camera it looks normal, and as well as in the raw player?

The Blackmagic RAW player will show the previous frame if there is an error with a frame, are you sure that isn't what's happening when you view the clips with the Blackmagic RAW player?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

ericmillercbc

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm

This is the same issue that shows up for me when I have a conflict between the Autokroma Braw Studio plugin and Blackmagic's raw plugin. If you have both plugins installed, you can randomly see this issue. If that's not the case for you, try re-importing the offending clip.

If you do have both plugins, try uninstalling the autokroma one, then start a new project and import the media.

danidrumond

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 am

Hello, I'm having the same issue with Premiere Pro.

I do not have any other plugin despite the Blackmagicdesign's one.
I do own a Ryzen 7, geforce gtx 1070.
I've already tryed uninstalling both plugin and Premiere Pro, nothing helps. And the more I try to fix it, more bugs start appearing... Any help?
Attachments
EDIT 3 PESSOAS.00_00_37_10.Quadro001.jpg
EDIT 3 PESSOAS.00_00_37_10.Quadro001.jpg (328.65 KiB) Viewed 7553 times

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 am

Are you using 1.6.1 ?
Does the clip decode okay in the Blackmagic RAW player or Resolve?

Golani

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Hey everybody,

We're also experiencing troubles working with *.braw 4k 60fps files in Adobe Premiere.
The red bars appear after about ±46% of the video's length.
The video plays high-speed on the timeline for some reason.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

DiegoFLopez

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Wanted to add my recent experience here.

I had the issue of black and red bars filling the screen at a certain spot in a few of my clips (Pocket 6k footage, viewed with the 1.6 SDK in PPRO 2019 on a late-2013 mac pro running High Sierra). Turns out the error was only happening on clips that were shot as a timelapse.

In the Blackmagic RAW player, the clip "froze" on a frame but still had the live sound playing for the remaining duration of the play bar. The sound was real-time, so my guess is that the camera has an issue with finishing the file written at the end of a timelapse take with audio. The audio recording is the real-time length of the take, but the video compression throws out frames, which makes it much shorter and now we have a clip written with a big empty space in the video track.

In Premiere, the clip shows the black bars at the same timecode that the clip freeze-frames in the RAW player, and in Resolve, the clip shows "Media Offline" at that timecode.

Based on reviewing these clips, I don't believe I've lost any footage due to this.

I had the same issue with a different clip in a project before this, but that one was not a timelapse (it WAS a Pocket 6K) and it only occurred in Premiere so I was able to output a proxy from resolve then re-link the original when i graded in Resolve. In that case, the black and red bars DID cover footage that I needed.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 am

DiegoFLopez wrote:The sound was real-time, so my guess is that the camera has an issue with finishing the file written at the end of a timelapse take with audio.

Timelapse shouldn't record any audio on the camera, are you sure they are timelapse clips?

On the other hand, what you are describing is the expected result of what happens when you shoot offspeed and have a lower sensor rate than your project rate, so the audio is still real time but you have less video frames and therefore the clip with have less video than audio and Resolve will show 'media offline' and Premiere the red and black bars - both are expected behaviour in that case since there is no valid video frames for the part of the clip that only contains audio.

DiegoFLopez

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 3:38 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Timelapse shouldn't record any audio on the camera, are you sure they are timelapse clips?

Thanks for the response - I'll DM you a link to two of the shorter (smaller) camera originals but they are definitely timelapse (perhaps i'm misusing this term?) with a long shutter speed and they definitely have audio.

I'm still digesting your description of "expected result" with black and red bars and "media offline" but I will clarify that the braw files show up in MediaInfo 23.976 and the project is also 23.976.

I'm at least comforted by the fact it appears I haven't lost any footage in this case due to those bars.

Doing some quick math:

The first clip I'm sending (...._C062) is 2301 frames long.

The clip shows black and red bars after 484 frames

I heard the DP tell our director that he was shooting at 5 fps (via the audio recorded on the clip).

5/24=.21

2301x.21=483

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am

Hi, looks like you weren't using time-lapse mode, but instead doing offspeed with 5/24fps which as described above is expected behaviour.

Time-lapse has it's own dedicated enable button on the 3rd page of the record tab. Once you turn it on you set your "interval". You will also notice the record button from the main hud is a different icon to the regular record icon. There should be no audio when you record with this mode enabled.

DiegoFLopez

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 6:52 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Hi, looks like you weren't using time-lapse mode, but instead doing offspeed with 5/24fps which as described above is expected behaviour.

Time-lapse has it's own dedicated enable button on the 3rd page of the record tab. Once you turn it on you set your "interval". You will also notice the record button from the main hud is a different icon to the regular record icon. There should be no audio when you record with this mode enabled.

Great to know, thank you! I'll mention this to our DP and it's great to have a definitive answer.

fixedinpre

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Okay, I got the same issue. I figured I would post my solution. Seems as though "OFF SPEED FRAME RATE" was selected on my bmpcc. It was at 60/30. In premiere, I just cut the video at the last frame before the bars and slowed it down to 50%. Boom. Fixed. Solved.

antoine

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 1:55 pm

fixedinpre wrote:Okay, I got the same issue. I figured I would post my solution. Seems as though "OFF SPEED FRAME RATE" was selected on my bmpcc. It was at 60/30. In premiere, I just cut the video at the last frame before the bars and slowed it down to 50%. Boom. Fixed. Solved.

Great to know, thanks. So the footage had the wrong length when you imported it into Premiere Pro, using Blackmagic plugin ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

fixedinpre

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 2:20 pm

[/quote]
Great to know, thanks. So the footage had the wrong length when you imported it into Premiere Pro, using Blackmagic plugin ?[/quote]

Well, the footage was basically sped up 200%. The error came from the incorrect settings in the camera. Audio was normal. I am not familiar with offset frame rates. That was the cause.

antoine

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 6:41 pm

But you still shouldn't experience this bug/behavior in Premiere Pro. It's OK to set off spend framerate it lets you have a 60 fps footage already slowed down at 30 fps. Could you share with us the .braw ?
Thanks
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

mrlukeb

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:02 am

on a mac, using premiere pro, updated, and have blackmagic viewer 2.0.

Well im having this issue now, just did a commercial shoot. Not something i can reshoot. In premiere i have the red/black/blue vert bars etc. in blackmagic viewer it stop at 40% of a clip, doesnt matter if its a long clip or short clip stops at 40%, so i can see quite a bit in a long clip. shot in 12:1, 5k, 60fps, er 24 i think. any ideas or solutions before my client says, "hey so whats up with my video?"

mrlukeb

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 am

hmm but some footage from another bmpcc 6k and even from days prior seem to be ok, it must have been a setting i changed or something.

ZackHefley

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 7:58 pm

If you update to Black Magic RAW 1.7 it will resolve this issue inside of premiere.

antoine

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:21 pm

We would be interested in a faulty .braw to test if anyones has one.
Last edited by CaptainHook on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising/promotion

Return to Post Production