My feedback and feature request for Resolve 17

• Author

laci00

My feedback and feature request for Resolve 17

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 am

Hello, I am new to Davinci Resolve, but it quickly became my favorite editing software, mainly because of the stability, ease of use, features, fast performance and color grading. However, there are few things in editing workflow I really miss, and I believe Resolve would become the dream platform. I would appreciate your consideration and if any of listed features exist in any for and I missed it, please let me know. Here we go:

1/ TIME WORKFLOW: Working with slomotion, speed ramps etc. is super complicated. You have to open two separate bars under video clip (which often mess up editing window) and do a bunch of clicks to get smooth result, no shortcut for adding keyframes as well. I would prefer to have it same like in Premiere where we can switch on TIME line over the clip, easily add keyframes and adjust speeds. In my work I use speedramps very often, so would appreciate easier approach.

2/ SLOWMOTION WITH AUDIO: I love the audio effect of changing pitch when slowing down footage. Would be cool if the pitch of audio would automatically change with any time changes. I tried to adjust pitch separately, but keyframing is somehow not working.

3/ KEYFRAMES: By far the biggest issue in Resolve for me is workflow with keyframes. They open up under the clip, which messed up my timeline and are hard to tweak. I would prefer that the keyframes for each clip & setting would be placed under their corresponded setting in inspector and easily moved around

4/ AUDIO PEAKS: Hard to explain why, but audio levels just does not look as good and are not so easy to read as other software. For example, here is the same song in Resolve and Vegas Pro:
Its just easier to see the beat peaks in Vegas, not sure why is that.

5/ TIMELINE POSTER THUMBNAIL: I always set poster thumbnails in media pool when sorting clips for easy orientation. On the timeline I have switched setting to display only 1 thumbnail per clip, but this one is surprisingly not the one I set, would be helpful to see my selected poster frame also on the timeline.

6/ ONLY VIDEO DROP FROM MEDIA POOL: For most of my clips I do not use audio in the project, so I have to open the video and drag only the video file down the timeline, I would really welcome faster way, here are few ideas:
- In media pool when you click Clip Attributed and Audio, to have option to turn off audio on selected clips. This way only the video file would be imported on timeline straight from media pool
- Add video small pic (like in preview window) in media pool so I can drag video only straight from media pool
- Add shortcut for insert / overwrite video only

7/ MOUSE CUSTOMIZATION: I love to customize my keyboard, but I miss customization of the mouse. For example, I would really like that the mouse wheel would work as zoom in / out (instead with holding ALT).

8/ ROTATION ANGLE: When adjusting angle of the clips, I would love to see 2 things:
- Small grid that would appear over the clip so I can easily level the horizon
- Option to select automatically zoom in the shot, would save time

9/ FINE ADJUSTMENT BUTTON LOCK: I struggle to find button that would work as a HOLD TOGGLE for fine adjustments in various instances like moving clips, keyframes, adjusting volumes and other settings.

10/ SLIP HOLD TOGGLE BUTTON: Slip is really awesome feature, but instead of going to slip and back to normal editing tool, I would love to have HOLD button for slip, so when I hold it I slip the clip, but after releasing goes back to normal. Much faster and more efficient for me.

11/ SNAPPING HOLD TOGGLE BUTTON: Same like above, I would like to have option to set button for HOLD SNAPPING OFF, so when I hold the button, clips move without snapping.

12/ ORDERING CLIPS IN MEDIA POOL: I know you can move around this by renaming all clips (but would take ages). I would like to be able reorder the clips in media pool by moving them around. For example I have two similar shots taken in different times, but I know I will use them close to each other. So some sort of “random” sorting, when you start by name but can rearrange clips freely.

13/ EXPORT WITH DIFFERENT FPS: Minor but useful would be to be able to export videos with different fps, sometimes I need for different social medias, now I can copy & paste project into different timeline, but would prefer to have it easier.

14/ AUTO REFRAME: I really like the new auto reframe feature in Premiere 2020, would be cool to see something similar in Resolve 17.

15/ AUDIO KEYFRAMES MOVEMENT: This one really bugs me. When I have to dial down the music in between interview, its cool that I can easily create keyframes, but more often than not you don’t get the right position of keyframes and have to move them around. The only way I fount is by mouse and this moves keyframe both horizontally, but also vertically, so usually end up messing the audio levels. I would like to either move the keyframe by mouse only horizontally, or to be able to move keyframes by arrows on the keyboard.
*SOLUTION* Fount it in KEYBOARD CUSTOMIZATION s "Move Selected Keyframes Left/Right/Up/Down"

16/ SLIP PREVIEW UNDER CURSOR: Right now when I slip the clip, preview window shows me first and the last frame. I would very much prefer that the preview would stay on the cursor, since often I am sliping in order to match some action into the beat somewhere in the middle. I understand that is not for everybody but would be cool to have the option in the settings.

17/ GENERATE OPTIMIZED MEDIA IN ALL BINS: I cannot find the option to generate optimized media for clips in all bins.
*SOLUTION* For the Bins that have your media, highlight them in "Bin List" by holding shift/ Resolve will show you all the media in all those bins on the right. Then just select all and create optimized media

18/ MULTIPLE IN/OUT POINTS IN MEDIA POOL: I often have to pick multiple in/out points from one clip in the media pool, for example interviews. Right now what I do is after first in/out I split clip and continue with next subclip. But would be great to have option to select more within one clip.

19/ YOUTUBE EXPORT FOR HIGHER FRAMERATE: I noticed the drop in video quality when I rendered project with YouTube preset in 60fps. My understanding is that youtube preset have fixed 20000 kbps even with higher framerate. When I exported with custom settings at 40000 kbps quality was fine.

Thanks for your time, I would have double longer list of features in Resolve that I love, but if we can see some of mentioned above in next updated, I would be really stoked.
Last edited by laci00 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

kinvermark

Re: My feedback and feature request for Resolve 17

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Good list of suggestions.

12/ ORDERING CLIPS IN MEDIA POOL

This is the most important addition for me. Also known (In PPro, Bridge, etc.) as "user sort order." Allows user to "storyboard" by dragging clips into order inside a bin. Super useful. Would be a big help in organizing clips in the CUT PAGE, which is hindered by having no normal timeline thumbnails.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:35 pm

It's better to post one idea per thread. Makes discussion more focused.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

laci00

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm

kinvermark wrote:Good list of suggestions.

This is the most important addition for me. Also known (In PPro, Bridge, etc.) as "user sort order." Allows user to "storyboard" by dragging clips into order inside a bin. Super useful. Would be a big help in organizing clips in the CUT PAGE, which is hindered by having no normal timeline thumbnails.

Thanks, I was not aware of the name of this feature. Yea really would be such an useful addition.

laci00

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Jim Simon wrote:It's better to post one idea per thread. Makes discussion more focused.

Well since I had list of 19 points, I did not want to spam the forum. If somebody from Blackmagic would find this post and consider my points, I would appreciate a lot :D

JeffreyWalther

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Just use keywords for each clip and so you can (auto)sort them into bins.
DaVinci Resolve Studio V18
Fusion V18
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

laci00

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:51 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:

Just use keywords for each clip and so you can (auto)sort them into bins.

What do you have in mind? add keywords in attributes? That would add quite a lot of work. I do sports videos and I have often 100+ clips in media bin.. So for example I sort clips from different athletes / locations in separate bins, but then within bins I would like to have similar tricks close to each other etc. All in all I am just looking to have faster and more efficient process. But thanks for your feedback!

kinvermark

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:Just use keywords for each clip and so you can (auto)sort them into bins.

We need to be able to sort WITHIN bins, not just get clips into bins - that's easy. And, of course, bins themselves can already be dragged into a specific "user sort" order.

Adding any kind of metadata to sort clips inside bins is way to time consuming to make it worthwhile. You may as well just sort on the edit timeline. (Hard to do this in the cut page because you can't zoom to see all clips' thumbnails on the timeline.)

Best examples are Adobe Ppro bins (or in Bridge folders) or Vegas Pro "storyboards." Both allow drag/drop sorting of clips.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

kinvermark

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Also, for #17:

Just make a SMART bin to grab all of the media you want to have optimized media generated, and then follow the normal procedure.

laci00

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

kinvermark wrote:Also, for #17:

Just make a SMART bin to grab all of the media you want to have optimized media generated, and then follow the normal procedure.

Thanks, that works! I added it as solution to my list. Still I would like to have some sort of indicator for which clips have created optimized media, would come in handy sometimes.

kinvermark

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm

LIST VIEW in the media bins has a column for showing if optimized media has been created and what resolution used. IIRC you may have to set up custom columns to see this.

Obviously, you can also set up a smart bin to show all media NOT having optimized media created.

laci00

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:08 pm

kinvermark wrote:LIST VIEW in the media bins has a column for showing if optimized media has been created and what resolution used. IIRC you may have to set up custom columns to see this.

Obviously, you can also set up a smart bin to show all media NOT having optimized media created.

Hey thanks a lot, so hidden this one :)

So for anybody else, go to the list view, then right click on the attributes on top and you can add "Optimized Media" column :idea:

twainrichardson

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 5:59 pm

17/ GENERATE OPTIMIZED MEDIA IN ALL BINS[/b]: I cannot find the option to generate optimized media for clips in all bins
*SOLUTION* Can create smart bin for all shots and generate optimized media from there. I still miss some sort of indicator for which clips have created optimized medias.

For the Bins that have your media, highlight them by holding shift/ Resolve will show you all the media in all those bins.

Example: Say you have a a few bins labeled BROLL, INTERVIEW, GOOD TAKES. Click on the one that is marked BROLL and then hold down shift and select the others.

Then hit Cmd+A to select all then right click and create Generate Optimised Media.
2023 16' MBPro/M3 Max/48GB/macOS Sonoma
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.4.2

laci00

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 11:48 am

twainrichardson wrote:17/ GENERATE OPTIMIZED MEDIA IN ALL BINS[/b]: I cannot find the option to generate optimized media for clips in all bins
*SOLUTION* Can create smart bin for all shots and generate optimized media from there. I still miss some sort of indicator for which clips have created optimized medias.

For the Bins that have your media, highlight them by holding shift/ Resolve will show you all the media in all those bins.

Example: Say you have a a few bins labeled BROLL, INTERVIEW, GOOD TAKES. Click on the one that is marked BROLL and then hold down shift and select the others.

Then hit Cmd+A to select all then right click and create Generate Optimised Media.

Ah cool tip, I was not aware of that! Just want to add for others, that you have to highlight bits with SHIFT in "Bin List" which is at left.

twainrichardson

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm

laci00 wrote:
twainrichardson wrote:17/ GENERATE OPTIMIZED MEDIA IN ALL BINS[/b]: I cannot find the option to generate optimized media for clips in all bins

Ah cool tip, I was not aware of that! Just want to add for others, that you have to highlight bits with SHIFT in "Bin List" which is at left.

You're welcome, it also works in the media page also.
2023 16' MBPro/M3 Max/48GB/macOS Sonoma
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.4.2

Robin Doelly

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 11:55 pm

7/ MOUSE CUSTOMIZATION

for this one ... would X Mouse deliver what you are looking for? It is an amazing program adding a wide range of specific customisations.

Allen24

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 4:26 pm

I love the guy who says he likes Resolve because of its "ease of use". That's pretty funny. It's anything but. I've been an editor for many many years and I know my way around a lot of systems, especially Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro is "easy to use"...Resolve is not. Resolve is complex where it should be simple.
Example; I add a plug in to a clip on the timeline and it stutters and will not play. Now try "rendering" that clip so it will play. Goodluck! The same clip plays fine in the color module, and stutters like crazy on the edit timeline. How is this possible?! The answer - Resolve is just not ready for prime-time yet.
In premiere, if something has a hard timer playing, you simply hit "render between in and out", and boom, it just works. Why is this major major feature not working in Resolve?? We don't need the cut page, we need the edit page to just work!

billprather

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 11:46 pm

I successfully downloaded and seemingly installed Resolve 17. However, when launching 17, the software would hang up when trying to load the Fairlight page. It closes and disappears. Hanging up isn't quite the right phrase, therefore.

Ultimately, I had to uninstall 17 and reload 16. I think I'll wait until 17 comes out of beta unless you have ideas for correct this.

At least I didn't lose my databases in the process!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests