Which Eizo for grading monitor?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tommi14

Which Eizo for grading monitor?

PostTue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Hello,

I am considering a grading monitor for Davinci Resolve. I would be using it for home videos shot by BMPCC and BMMCC. The videos would be played by LG OLED TV.

At the moment, I am considering Eizo models CS2420, CG2420 and CG247X. The approx. prices for each model are 600 euros, 1200 euros and 1500 euros, respectively. In addition, I am planning to buy Decklink Mini Monitor or Decklink Mini Monitor 4K.

I would have some questions if some of you could help me. I am a novice in grading and Resolve, so some of the questions may be silly.

1) I understand that I should deliver the videos in REC709 in order to play them correctly by LG OLED TV. I also understand that only CG247X has REC709 as a predefined color mode. Would it be possible to adjust a color mode ”CAL1” in CS2420 or CG2420 for REC709? Or is 3D LUT required for that?

2) If I have understood correctly, I could use a Display LUT in Resolve to adjust the output for CS2420 or CG2420. What I don’t understand is why there seems not to be a predefined REC709 to sRGB LUT in Resolve for this task?

3) Is it a completely bad idea just to use the sRGB color mode in CS2420 or CG2420 to monitor REC709 video?

4) What do you think, which one of the listed Eizo models would the best choice for my use, considering also the price? I am not after the best possible accuracy but would prefer a high-quality, easy-use display with a good uniformity across the panel.

5) I shoot at 25 fps. According to the specs, all the listed models should be able to play correctly the frame rates 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz. So, they should be equal on this matter, right?

6) For my use, is there any reason to consider Decklink Mini Monitor 4K over Decklink Mini Monitor?

Best regards,
Tommi

Tommi14

Re: Which Eizo for grading monitor?

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Hello,

Yet another option:

How about using just one monitor, for instance, Eizo CG279X for both GUI and grading, but by toggling between two inputs, one from graphic card and the other from Decklink Mini Monitor?

Would this be possible? Would it be feasible? Is anyone using this kind of a setup?

This would save some money as well as desk space.

Best regards,
Tommi

bruce alan greene

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:53 pm

Tommi14 wrote:Hello,

I am considering a grading monitor for Davinci Resolve. I would be using it for home videos shot by BMPCC and BMMCC. The videos would be played by LG OLED TV.

At the moment, I am considering Eizo models CS2420, CG2420 and CG247X. The approx. prices for each model are 600 euros, 1200 euros and 1500 euros, respectively. In addition, I am planning to buy Decklink Mini Monitor or Decklink Mini Monitor 4K.

I would have some questions if some of you could help me. I am a novice in grading and Resolve, so some of the questions may be silly.

1) I understand that I should deliver the videos in REC709 in order to play them correctly by LG OLED TV. I also understand that only CG247X has REC709 as a predefined color mode. Would it be possible to adjust a color mode ”CAL1” in CS2420 or CG2420 for REC709? Or is 3D LUT required for that?

2) If I have understood correctly, I could use a Display LUT in Resolve to adjust the output for CS2420 or CG2420. What I don’t understand is why there seems not to be a predefined REC709 to sRGB LUT in Resolve for this task?

3) Is it a completely bad idea just to use the sRGB color mode in CS2420 or CG2420 to monitor REC709 video?

4) What do you think, which one of the listed Eizo models would the best choice for my use, considering also the price? I am not after the best possible accuracy but would prefer a high-quality, easy-use display with a good uniformity across the panel.

5) I shoot at 25 fps. According to the specs, all the listed models should be able to play correctly the frame rates 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz. So, they should be equal on this matter, right?

6) For my use, is there any reason to consider Decklink Mini Monitor 4K over Decklink Mini Monitor?

Best regards,
Tommi

The CG models have a significantly deeper black level than the CS model (different screens). I would choose CG if you can afford it.

You will need to calibrate the displays with a 3D LUT for good accuracy though for REC709. The CG247X can store a 3D LUT in the display which is the ideal solution, but you will probably need LightSpace software to do that. It's expensive software but they do have a 3 day rental I believe. You will also need a probe such as an iOne Display Pro OEM that you can get from LightSpace I think.

The display calibration is not trivial and will require a bit of study and probably trial and error. I don't think a 4k Decklink will be helpful with the 24inch Eizo, but you might want it if you ever connect directly to your OLED 4k TV.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:09 am

Tommi14 wrote:Hello,

You may be better getting TV, eg. LG OLED C9. At the end it may serve you better and it will do UHD and HDR.

Simon McLean

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:07 am

I was just reading about the Eizo CG279X today. It looks like it is equipped with a built in sensor and can calibrate itself.

Here's the link.
https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cg279x/

Tommi14

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your advices. I must look into LightSpace.

Seems like either CG247X or CG279X might be a good choice. I am afraid that I could not fit LG OLED into the space where I am editing video.

In fact, the space is quite limited and I am editing video, photo and audio with the same hardware. So, I must find some sort of a compromise suitable for all of them, considering speaker positioning as well. I might fit two 24 inch monitors on the desk but two 27 inch monitors would be difficult.

Because of the space limitations I was asking about using just one CG279X for both GUI and grading by toggling between two inputs, one from graphic card and the other from Decklink Mini Monitor. Would you have any comment on this idea? Would it work? Would it be feasible?

Best regards,
Tommi

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Ok.
How are you going to grade on same monitor which you use GUI on?
You need to look at image while you are adjusting it, so doing it with 1 monitor and switching inputs is simply not going to work.
You may be better trying to get accurate GUI preview and grade without BM card.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Tommi14 wrote:1) I understand that I should deliver the videos in REC709 in order to play them correctly by LG OLED TV.

I don't think that's right, especially if it's a UHD model.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tommi14

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Ok.
How are you going to grade on same monitor which you use GUI on?
You need to look at image while you are adjusting it, so doing it with 1 monitor and switching inputs is simply not going to work.
You may be better trying to get accurate GUI preview and grade without BM card.

What I meant with the one monitor solution was something like: 1) Making adjustment in GUI based on the preview. 2) Checking the result through Decklink Mini Monitor. I know it would not be an ideal solution. What I would like to know is whether it would be a satisfactory compromise or just a bad idea. As you suggested, trying to get as accurate GUI preview as possible would help, wouldn’t it?

Tommi14

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Tommi14 wrote:1) I understand that I should deliver the videos in REC709 in order to play them correctly by LG OLED TV.

My footage and videos are HD. Doesn’t LG OLED UHD models play REC709 correctly?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm

It does. Don't assume that UHD TV can't play properly HD files.
This will be still by far majority what people will watch on those TVs :D
UHD and HDR is still rare thing.

Alex Aitken

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 am

Jim Simon wrote:

Being UHD has nothing to do with its colour space, REC709 is correct

MartinOzFox

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 am

I bought the CS2420 and got it calibrated, and the mini monitor. It’s been a really functional set up at minimal cost (the CG would be better but too expensive for me).
I would get the 4K mini for future proofing if it will also do HD in the interim.
I think your idea of using the reference monitor for UI duty will end up being a pain, too much switching & thinking.
iMac i7 2018 32GB 2x Rx580 8GB
Ezio CS2420, BMD Ultrastudio,Micro panel, Beatstep controller, Keymand+keyboard maestro, Sata Raid

Tommi14

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 pm

MartinOzFox wrote:I bought the CS2420 and got it calibrated, and the mini monitor. It’s been a really functional set up at minimal cost (the CG would be better but too expensive for me).
I would get the 4K mini for future proofing if it will also do HD in the interim.
I think your idea of using the reference monitor for UI duty will end up being a pain, too much switching & thinking.

Thank you for your opinion.

In which way did you get your CS2420 calibrated? Do you have the calibration data stored in the monitor or in a LUT box, or are you using Display LUT in Resolve? Is the monitor calibrated accorting to REC709?

Return to DaVinci Resolve