Which shooting format?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JeSuisRaphael

Which shooting format?

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello,

It's certainly a basic question but I don't know the answer:
During the register of my film in a festival, they ask me; which is the shooting format?
And I have those choices: beta, numeric beta, beta sp, blu-ray, DCP Jpeg 2000, DV, DVCAM, DVD, HDCAM, Mobile.
I shot with a BMPCC 4k in BRaw Q0.
Can you tell me in which format I shot please?

Bests regards.
Raphael

Frank Engel

Re: Which shooting format?

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

None of the ones listed apply. Those are primarily tape-based formats (other than DVD, Bluray and Mobile) and are largely outdated.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm

JeSuisRaphael wrote:Hello,

During the register of my film in a festival, they ask me; which is the shooting format?
And I have those choices: beta, numeric beta, beta sp, blu-ray, DCP Jpeg 2000, DV, DVCAM, DVD, HDCAM, Mobile.

Looks to me like the choice of delivery format and not shooting format. All of those have been used by festivals for their sighting/projection copies. And I am pretty sure they didn't mean "numeric beta" but "digital betacam aka digibeta". Maybe a translation error from the website creator?

Can you link the festival site?
Last edited by Robert Niessner on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Given the options, should the deliverable be DCP?
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

Which shooting format?

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Shooting format x
Delivery format standard.
Every shooting format could delivered in any delivery format.

Think about Star Wars 2 (clone wars) was shoot ed in h264 step 2 4:2:2 8 bit, avatar hdcam sr h264 step10 4:2:2 10 bit ...
you shoot raw 12bit, you are far far away about these blockbusters

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 pm

Bests regards.
Raphael

I've been on this rodeo a few times over. They really mean delivery format for the purposes of showing (as Robert eluded to).

It's how you will delivery your movie in Post. So if you are using Resolve, for example, you could deliver a DCP Jpeg 2000, or a few different compress HD format and burn it on blu-ray or DVD. All those other options are magnetic media cams - which might be transferred to any of the above format.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denis Kazlowski

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:37 am

Bests regards.
Raphael

Yeah, these gents are asking about your output - not shooting format.
They want to know if you'll send them a tape or a DCP 2K/4K and in 5.1 or 2.0 etc..
4K DCP should be able to play in a 2K projector/ so just make sure your bitrate matches most movies released on DCP - if memory serves right, around 125Mbps in JPEG2000 at 4K.

They can care less what you actually shot it on. So if you're doing a DCP just tell them 2k or 4k, and I don't know what the sound mix is, 5.1 or 2.0 - but you need to tell them that too... Just make sure your DCP is not incompatible with their projectors file system, some are NTFS, some are Ext4, some are HFS+/Ext4 - I would do a dry run at a small cinema (usually $150) using Dolby and Doremi or similar before shipping the DCP to place unknown to make sure they can load it from your USB drive into the projector, and some projectors even support FTP for the MXF bins so you won't even need to ship them anything on physical media, then they really wont care about the file system - just leave the Crypto/DRM out of it, unless you must have it and know what to do with key management.

Things to remmeber for DCP, your framerate should be 24.00 not 23.98 - your frame resolutions should be proper 2k or 4k scope or full, your audio might need a speedup from 48,000khz to 48.048Khz match 24.00 frame rate - unless you posted the film at 24.00.
Last edited by Denis Kazlowski on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis Kazlowski

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:46 am

Ellory Yu wrote:It's how you will delivery your movie in Post. So if you are using Resolve, for example, you could deliver a DCP Jpeg 2000, or a few different compress HD format and burn it on blu-ray or DVD. All those other options are magnetic media cams - which might be transferred to any of the above format.

Question for you, is easyDCP in Davinci still a $1000 plugin? And if you have any tips for Blu-Ray in Davinci I am all ears like for real, I've been away from Physical disks for a while since DVD, so I would love to get some info. Thanks kindly.

Frank Engel

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Denis Kazlowski wrote:Question for you, is easyDCP in Davinci still a $1000 plugin?

If you have Resolve Studio 15 or 16, you no longer need the plugin for basic unencrypted DCP export, though there are more options available (including encryption) if you do have the plugin.

Return to Cinematography