HDR Scopes

• Author

Jim Simon

HDR Scopes

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 pm

I'd love to move the HDR Scopes setting out of Preferences and into Project Settings. It makes more sense to have this setting as project specific so we don't have to keep turning it on and off as we move between SDR and HDR projects.

Additionally, I'd love to have IRE units as an option for SDR scopes, with 0 IRE at 0 bits and 100 IRE at 255/1024 bits.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mark Grgurev

Re: HDR Scopes

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 12:09 am

+1 Makes sense to me.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 9:00 pm

Why not put it directly in the scope window?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Oooh, I like that. A menu option. Perfect.

BUT, it would have to be project specific and sticky, so that when I switch projects, I get the correct scope.

Bottom line, I want to set it once for the project, and always get that scope.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Oooh, I like that. A menu option. Perfect.

BUT, it would have to be project specific and sticky, so that when I switch projects, I get the correct scope.

Bottom line, I want to set it once for the project, and always get that scope.

I have often SDR and HDR in the same project, so, for me, it is more handy to be a tick option on the scope itself.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Hmmm.

Timeline specific then? Perhaps part of Timeline Format in Master Settings?

Really not too fussy about where it goes, so long as I only have to set it once.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Lee Niederkofler

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 pm

+1

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I have often SDR and HDR in the same project, so, for me, it is more handy to be a tick option on the scope itself.

Jim Simon wrote:Hmmm.

Timeline specific then? Perhaps part of Timeline Format in Master Settings?

Really not too fussy about where it goes, so long as I only have to set it once.

There was a suggestion somebody else made a few months back that could apply to this problem.

They had suggested being able to make multiple output nodes that could be routed to different monitors. I think the idea they had would be that one would be for HDR and the other for SDR. Makes sense because I can imagine someone having to monitors set up for such a purpose. In that case it could be output node specific or the output node could have HDR and SDR inputs. The latter would be interesting because that functionality could be extended to Fusions MediaOut node.

It's one of the things I was thinking about in my Contextual Color Palette's request. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96213

The issue of course would be determining how the scopes would act on nodes that could potentially be part of both. In that case I suppose you could just have a toggle in the scopes.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 am

They had suggested being able to make multiple output nodes that could be routed to different monitors

I was among those that suggested it.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:They had suggested being able to make multiple output nodes that could be routed to different monitors.

Not sure that would help here. It's the Scopes for which I want that Ron Popiel experience. (Set it, and forget it.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:14 am

Jim Simon wrote:Not sure that would help here. It's the Scopes for which I want that Ron Popiel experience. (Set it, and forget it.)

Was just bringing it up to see if that sparks any ideas for people and maybe kill two birds with one stone. I can imagine combine these two ideas so that you connect the HDR and SDR nodes to their respective outputs. Then instead of having a toggle for the scope mode, you'd be toggling between the HDR and SDR grades and the scopes would follow. Then on top of that they could add the ability to have each output routed to a different monitor if someone wants to do that.
waltervolpatto wrote:I was among those that suggested it.

I think I remember that!

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:37 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:combine these two ideas so that you connect the HDR and SDR nodes to their respective outputs.

I'm still thinking that would not be an acceptable solution to this issue, as it requires the use of an external monitor.

I don't have one.

I'm 'stuck' doing the best I can with the GUI and reviewing on a calibrated Home Theater display, making notes about where things went wrong by doing it incorrectly.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mark Grgurev

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm still thinking that would not be an acceptable solution to this issue, as it requires the use of an external monitor.

I don't have one.

I'm 'stuck' doing the best I can with the GUI and reviewing on a calibrated Home Theater display, making notes about where things went wrong by doing it incorrectly.

Oh, I might be explaining it badly. Basically I'm suggesting that the two outputs would have the option to show on different monitors but wouldn't require them. So here's how it would work on a typical one-monitor-for-everything setup or with an editing monitor + playback monitor set up.

You'd have two outputs but only one output is active showing in the viewer at a time. In this case, the bottom output path, lets say it's the HDR one, would be the active one so the scopes will be in HDR mode when that's selected. The other path would be grayed out into you activate the SDR output.

The alternate layout, which would be more consistent with how Fusion would probably do it, is this:

Where one of the inputs of the output node is SDR and the other is HDR.

The former is probably the better solution for keeping node branches clean and would be scale with projects where you might want to output to multiple color spaces.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Still not sold on that as a solution for this issue, Mark.

A sticky* option in the Scopes menu seems the easiest method to satisfy all situations.

*(option remains as chosen for each timeline)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Well we got a nice improvement in 17. I consider this request satisfied.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests