6 Ursa Broadcast simultaneously Recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ducksamr

6 Ursa Broadcast simultaneously Recording

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Is there a way to start recording with all cameras at the same time?

I have a setup with:

Atem 2 m / e Production 4k
Atem talkback converter 4k
6 Ursa Broadcast with optical fiber
Hyperdeck Studio mini for PGM recording

I'm new to the subject, and I don't know much about timecode, I read the manuals but I couldn't find anything to explain.

Xtreemtec

Re: 6 Ursa Broadcast simultaneously Recording

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 pm

So is it your goal to record in the cameras or to make ISO recordings at the Atem side with 6 Hyperdecks?

If you want to do it in camera. It is a bit more difficult. There is a command that can trigger the record in the camera but this command is not available in normal BMD hardware.

You need to build a special box based on an SDI Arduino shield and special code to trigger the Record function of the cameras.

If you insert Timecode into the XLR on the back of the Atem Says TC IN. Your Atem will run in Timecode and will distribute this timecode trough it's output SDI's
If you install the latest FW on the Broadcast cameras they are able to receive the Timecode trough the SDI input. This will ensure the Time stamp on every camera is the same. So if you hit record it will embed that time onto the recording. Which will make it easy to sync up all recordings in the edit software.

You can also pre-set the Timecode trough the Atem software and let the Atem be the Timecode master. So you dont need external Timecode hardware.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

pederdingo

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:13 pm

If you are recording in camera and you use remote demands for the lenses, then it is a good idea to set the VTR button on the lens to something other than VTR (which starts and stops the recording).
Many ops are used to having talkback on VTR, so they will press it during the event.
On the new camera firmware you can also do this in the camera.

Also note that the Studio Viewfinder will permanently glow yellow when recording, which may be a little distracting for everyone else at the event - it would be nice if the front LED could be set to only show the red tally LED.

ducksamr

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 pm

thank you very much for the answers, my goal is to record on the cameras themselves!

I believe that the timecode option will be the best.

I only have a hyperdeck drive, which saves the pgm for backup!

Where can I use timecode options at atem?

Would it be good for BlackMagic to put the recording trigger option directly on the CCU?

@pederdingo I really liked the tip! I will definitely be using it! thanks!

I work in a church in Brazil, and all my operators are volunteers! the idea is to make the operation as easy as possible so as not to cause errors.

Sorry for bad English...

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:45 pm

Normally in a live event with broadcast cams you dont record inside the cameras but everything on separate recorders. So that is why you dont see a record start button on the Atem or CCU's. ;)

The TC can be configured here:
BMD TC.jpg
BMD TC.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

Be sure to set the hit the TC on the homescreen of the camera and it should say EXT next to it and TC underneath.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ducksamr

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am

I found this! I will be testing in the next few days and questions will certainly come up.

I'll post the results here!

Ian Morrish

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 am

I have created a small Windows exe that sets the atem time code to the current Windows time (which you can set more accuratly with ntp than default setting).
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/my-ate ... utilities/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Return to Live Production