Export frames to jpgs every "X" seconds

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tiggerdyret

Export frames to jpgs every "X" seconds

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm

I'm working on a music video with a stop motion like effect switching between different clips, where I wear different clothes, but to have the lips sync up to the lyrics I thought I'd record it as a video and export stills as jpgs every 0.xx seconds, so I can work on it with a stop motion workflow in a new project. So I kinda want to do this stop motion effect:
, but have every frame as a separate jpg exported to a folder. I can then set each jpgs length the exact same as the time between each exported still, so the stop motion effect lines up with the song length.

The reason why I don't just use the effect in the video is because I plan on switching between different recordings and having everything set up as a stop motion workflow will enable me to edit faster by just dragging and dropping pictures instead of cutting up the clips frame by frame.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks and cheers :D

Jim Simon

Re: Export frames to jpgs every "X" seconds

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Are you aware of the Stop Motion effect now in Resolve?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tiggerdyret

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 am

Yes, that is the effect I'm mentioning in post. The link doesn't work for some reason. I don't think that effect will make the work any easier since I only need to use one frame from each clip before moving on to the next clip.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:08 pm

If you only need one frame from each clip, then why not just shoot stills?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Gary Hango

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Here’s how I would do it. Let’s say you have 5 videos, 1 for each wardrobe change. They were shot at 30fps. In Resolve I would sync these to the music on 5 video tracks. Then I would export TIFF image sequences 5 times to 5 separate folders, each time disabling all tracks but one. This will make 5 folders of each take with all the files named the same and the same sequential numbers. I would then create a dos batch or AutoIT script that copied every 5th frame, alternating between the 5 folders, into a new folder and renumbering them so they increment by 1. Import this new image sequence into Resolve, making sure Resolve interprets it as a video clip. In the clip attributes, set it to 6fps. Drag it to a 30fps timeline and it should now play at the original duration, in sync to the music track.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Tiggerdyret

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 pm

@Jim
Because of lip sync'ing.

@Gary
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted. Do you have any tutorials on exporting "TIFF image sequences" and making dos batch/AutoIT script, so it works like you describe? I'm new to both editing and scripting :)

I also think I should reduce the frames before exporting as I think switching 30 per second would be a bit straining to look at.

Gary Hango

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Ketil, I’ll do some experimenting and come up with a script. Hopefully you use Windows, because that’s all I use. If you use Mac or Linux, you’ll have to translate what I come up with to the appropriate OS.

TIFF image sequence is one of the export format options.

Can you tell me how many video tracks you will be using? This will effect the math used in the script.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Tiggerdyret

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:25 am

Wow thanks Gary, that is awfully nice of you!

Yes, I'm on windows 10. So it is as simple as selecting TIFF as my format, when exporting?

I'll be using 8 tracks. I think I'll use either 12fps or 15fps to get that jankey stop motion feeling and to have the clothes be somewhat recognizable between transitions. Which do you suggest?

How do you recommend halving the fps? Can I just set the project/timeline fps to half the fps value of the footage or should I go about it in another way? It is fairly important to not export the same frames twice :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve