Green screen and cropping query

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nigel Scott

Green screen and cropping query

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi All
I have used my big TV to create a green screen background for my presenter. I made a green .jpg and loaded into the TV. I wanted my presenter to be minimised at the bottom left of the screen superimposed on the clips he was talking about. I used the color page to key the green screen out. This worked very well but when I cropped out all the superfluous stuff round the TV I found that I could not get the background clips to show. I don’t understand why.
I got round it by delivering the complete green screen clip and adding it to a new project. I could then resize, crop, and position it as I wanted. Although this works there are 2 stages and more work which is a pain as I have quite a few to do. Is there an easier way?

Regards
Nigel
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32.0GB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18.5 Public Beta

David_Cox

Re: Green screen and cropping query

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 7:25 pm

Did you add an alpha output on the color page? This is the bit that transfers your color selection in the color page to a transparency that the edit page will respect and show background clips underneath.
DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Nigel Scott

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 pm

David_Cox wrote:Did you add an alpha output on the color page? This is the bit that transfers your color selection in the color page to a transparency that the edit page will respect and show background clips underneath.
DC

Yes I did that. The cropped part had transparency but the rest of the image was black and this hid the clip that I was using as a background.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

David_Cox

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:11 am

My guess is that this is to with having to invert the key. The color page is designed to isolate colors to work on. By selecting a given color, the resulting alpha channel represents the area filled by that color. But with a chroma key, you want the opposite - for the alpha channel to exclude the selected colors. So the key needs to be inverted and my guess is that this is inverting the normally transparent area outside the frame, making it opaque. This gets revealed when you shrink the frame down and it masks your background.

A quick fix is probably to keep your keyed clip full size, then it into a compound clip and resize that instead. A compound clip is a container that has it's own transparency and resize ability, so should act as you expect.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Nigel Scott

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:43 am

David_Cox wrote:My guess is that this is to with having to invert the key. The color page is designed to isolate colors to work on. By selecting a given color, the resulting alpha channel represents the area filled by that color. But with a chroma key, you want the opposite - for the alpha channel to exclude the selected colors. So the key needs to be inverted and my guess is that this is inverting the normally transparent area outside the frame, making it opaque. This gets revealed when you shrink the frame down and it masks your background.

A quick fix is probably to keep your keyed clip full size, then it into a compound clip and resize that instead. A compound clip is a container that has it's own transparency and resize ability, so should act as you expect.

DC

Thanks David. That makes sense. I will try that now and let you know if your guess is correct.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Nigel Scott

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 am

Nigel Scott wrote:
David_Cox wrote:My guess is that this is to with having to invert the key. The color page is designed to isolate colors to work on. By selecting a given color, the resulting alpha channel represents the area filled by that color. But with a chroma key, you want the opposite - for the alpha channel to exclude the selected colors. So the key needs to be inverted and my guess is that this is inverting the normally transparent area outside the frame, making it opaque. This gets revealed when you shrink the frame down and it masks your background.

DC

Thanks David. That makes sense. I will try that now and let you know if your guess is correct.

OK David. That worked perfectly! Many thanks you have saved me hours!

Nigel
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Jim Figurski

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:52 am

I am having the same issue. But have no idea what a compound clip is or how to put it in! help!! :o

Mike Warren

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 1:01 am

Jim Figurski wrote:I am having the same issue. But have no idea what a compound clip is or how to put it in! help!! :o

Click on the clip. Then select from the Clip menu New Compound Clip
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 3:27 am

Jim Figurski wrote:I am having the same issue. But have no idea what a compound clip is or how to put it in! help!! :o

Resolve 16.2.6 user manual, starting on page 681. It's a good idea to read that manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Figurski

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:09 am

thanks, but I actually figured it out. I took 3 different techniques from 3 different youtubers, and somehow I compiled them and it worked!

Return to DaVinci Resolve