Zoom Shortcuts

• Author

Jim Simon

Zoom Shortcuts

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm

I like the new Full Extent Zoom and Detail Zoom options for the timeline.

Could we get shortcuts for them as well?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jason Conrad

Re: Zoom Shortcuts

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 3:17 am

Shift-z always worked fine for me. I don't understand what these new buttons add.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm

They work differently.

Use Shift+Z to see the entire timeline, then click the Full Extent Zoom. You may well see a slight change, with the latter better filling the available space.

The Detail Zoom seems to be a preset Zoom level independent of the length of the timeline and well suited to trimming at the frame level.

I find them useful. I think shortcuts would be even better.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

PleaseSupportProResRAW

PostSun May 23, 2021 1:47 am

+1 on shortcuts for these Zoom buttons. Even if they're not out of the box, at least allow us to create custom shortcuts. Thanks!

IvanTheEditor

PostSat Jun 05, 2021 5:20 am

+1

I'm glad someone else thought of that too! I can't believe the guy who said he doesn't understand what these new buttons add... seriously?? For an editor who values their time, being able to quickly zoom in and out on the timeline is KEY. Being able to assign keyboard shortcuts to the detail zoom will add A LOT because it's an action I do at least a dozen times per minute when I'm cutting.

So yes - please add shortcuts for the different zoom levels. The fact that those buttons are put right in the middle of the screen tells you that even the BMD team thought they were important. Why they didn't add the option to assign keyboard shortcuts to them is a mystery to me.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 05, 2021 2:59 pm

IvanTheEditor wrote:shortcuts to the detail zoom will add A LOT because it's an action I do at least a dozen times per minute when I'm cutting.

3777084698_a7ef4bf328_b.jpg
3777084698_a7ef4bf328_b.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jason Conrad

Zoom Shortcuts

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 pm

IvanTheEditor wrote:+1

I'm glad someone else thought of that too! I can't believe the guy who said he doesn't understand what these new buttons add... seriously?? For an editor who values their time, being able to quickly zoom in and out on the timeline is KEY. Being able to assign keyboard shortcuts to the detail zoom will add A LOT because it's an action I do at least a dozen times per minute when I'm cutting.

So yes - please add shortcuts for the different zoom levels. The fact that those buttons are put right in the middle of the screen tells you that even the BMD team thought they were important. Why they didn't add the option to assign keyboard shortcuts to them is a mystery to me.
I can’t believe the guy that read my post and didn’t try shift-z.

Of course I zoom in and out of the timeline all the time, and I use a shortcut to do it!

Shift-z toggles between full timeline view and custom. If you want it to toggle between full and detail, all you have to do is set your custom to detail. The buttons on the UI are just visual clutter, IMO.

I’m not opposed to adding shortcuts to the UI buttons, I’m just saying there’s already a solution and development resources might be better spent on more pressing matters… the abysmal state of keyframing being the top of my personal priority list.

p.s. The next time you disagree with me, feel free to quote me, so that I might receive notification, and provide a rebuttal in a more timely fashion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:If you want it to toggle between full and detail, all you have to do is set your custom to detail.
We can't toggle between Custom and Detail. Nor can we go from Detail back to Custom. And the Full view offered by Shift+Z isn't the same as that offered by Full Extent Zoom.

I still believe these shortcuts will add efficiency to our work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

liesenfeld

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 am

+1
I would also like very much shortcuts for full extend zoom and detail zoom.

TheBloke

PostTue Aug 10, 2021 8:13 pm

My suggestion:
1. Add a shortcut for Detail Zoom
2. Remove "Zoom To Fit" and make Shift-Z toggle between Full Extent Zoom and Custom Zoom.

I can't see a reason why 'Full Extent' should be fractionally different to 'Zoom To Fit'. IMHO it's a bug/feature discrepancy that they're currently set to slightly different zoom levels - like they were implemented by different people at different times, and they each chose slightly different values.

Full Extent makes better use of the available width than Zoom To Fit does, so I suggest removing the latter as a concept such that Shift-Z toggles between Full Extent and Custom.

This combo would allow all of Detail, Full Extent and Custom to be accessed at any time via two shortcuts total.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Andy Mees

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:58 am

TheBloke wrote:My suggestion:
2. Remove "Zoom To Fit" and make Shift-Z toggle between Full Extent Zoom and Custom Zoom.

I can't see a reason why 'Full Extent' should be fractionally different to 'Zoom To Fit'. IMHO it's a bug/feature discrepancy that they're currently set to slightly different zoom levels - like they were implemented by different people at different times, and they each chose slightly different values.

Full Extent makes better use of the available width than Zoom To Fit does, so I suggest removing the latter as a concept such that Shift-Z toggles between Full Extent and Custom.

This combo would allow all of Detail, Full Extent and Custom to be accessed at any time via two shortcuts total.

+1
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 4:50 pm

TheBloke wrote:I can't see a reason why 'Full Extent' should be fractionally different to 'Zoom To Fit'.
Full Extent is a continuous operation. Change the size of the timeline viewport, by opening the Inspector or Mixer, and things resize automatically to account.

Shift +Z doesn't do that, and folks might want to keep the current Shift+Z behavior.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

iwozzy

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:18 pm

+1

That's exactly what I'd love, the ability to with one shortcut go back and forth between detail or custom zoom and full extent zoom

sophocles

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 2:59 pm

I'd also love to be able to add a shortcut for the the zooms, especially the Detail Zoom.

Shift-Z just toggles between full and whatever zoom level you were, which may still be zoomed pretty far. Being able to instantly zoom to do trimming would be greatly helpful!

Thanks

JasonAaronPro

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 5:11 am

+1

Gabriel20

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 5:58 pm

+1

I definitely need a shortcut to Detail Zoom and Custom Zoom

AndrewKeil

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 2:11 pm

+1

danpalehorse

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 5:26 pm

+1 for this - would be super useful!
----
iMac Pro 10 Core 2017, 64GB Ram, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB GPU
macOS 11.2
Resolve Studio 18.0.1 build 3

Joe Shapiro

PostWed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm

I'd like to put in a bid for making the Zoom to Fit command use the calculation routines from Full Extent Zoom as @TheBloke suggested. Full Extent Zoom's calculations let me see the maximum detail while Zoom to Fit's leave ~10% of the tail blank.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

dimsum

PostThu May 11, 2023 1:08 pm

+1 for adding custom keyboard shortcuts (that can be modified if needed) for detailed zoom and custom zoom.

What could work fairly easily as has been mentioned already for for Shift+Z to toggle between the three zoom options : Full Extent Zoom, Detail Zoom, and Custom Zoom

I looked around in the keyboard customization and couldn't find anything that corresponds to the buttons in the timeline in Edit page, so it would be very useful to add them
Attachments
Resolve_k9cfKG8bzX.png
Resolve_k9cfKG8bzX.png (64.06 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

tailor45

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 9:35 am

Is there still no shortcut for Full Extent Zoom?

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 2:57 pm

No. Shortcuts are still just In, Out and Fit. Full Extent and Detail are still mouse clicks only. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

SiniArch

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 10:32 pm

How has this issue not been addressed yet?
I feel like so many software today don't do a good job of allowing users to manage their shortcuts.
Companies should take a look at REAPER and see how they have give access to almost every single action in the software and even allowed creation of multiple actions.
This seems like a no brainer.
Please BM, add this functionality.

(btw. I do find the current way of customizing shortcuts to be very counter intuitive, but maybe that's just me)

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 9:59 pm

SiniArch wrote:How has this issue not been addressed yet?
No. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

matttt.p

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 am

+++1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests