Re-cutting a 4K from 1080p on with wrong frame rates. weeee.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cowboycoffee

Re-cutting a 4K from 1080p on with wrong frame rates. weeee.

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi All,

I have a 5K feature film that was shot in 25fps (Hong Kong) and cut in 24fps 1080p. I shot it, but didn't edit it. Resolve was used for color.

Is it possible to bring it back into Resolve for a 4K version, but also at 25p? It was cut in Premiere.

Thanks!

Marc Wielage

Re: Re-cutting a 4K from 1080p on with wrong frame rates. we

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 am

cowboycoffee wrote:Is it possible to bring it back into Resolve for a 4K version, but also at 25p? It was cut in Premiere.

You could just render it in the original edit session in 24fps, then take that rendered file, bring it into a new Resolve 25fps project, change the Clip Attributes to 25fps, bring the clip in, and it should play correctly at 25fps. Since it's still a 1-frame to 1-frame ratio, I don't think there will be any artifacts beyond it going faster at 25fps and slower at 24fps.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:27 am

I second that, instead of the headaches from bringing over a project with differing frame rates.

Film has been shown like that (sped up) on European TV for as long as I can remember (and I'm an old guy).
Only musicians complain sometimes when they notice the minor pitch shift, but even that can be cured with good audio software. So, if a three-hour movie runs a bit shorter on TV, it's not necessarily censorship ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

John Paines

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 am

Are you guys sure (I'm asking seriously, not aggressively)? If you render out at 24fps, then import that render into a 25fps project and change clip attributes, I think the audio will still be running at 24fps....

Before importing any clips, he may have to set the project to 25fps, then change the mixed frame rate setting in General Preferences to "none". Then import the clip. With this scenario, there's no change to clip attributes (none will be possible with this setup, in any case). What results should play at 25fps (in sync), and allow 25fps delivery. I don't think it will work any other way.

But if I'm wrong, let's hear it.....

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:07 am

John Paines wrote:Are you guys sure (I'm asking seriously, not aggressively)? If you render out at 24fps, then import that render into a 25fps project and change clip attributes, I think the audio will still be running at 24fps....

Change the audio Clip Attributes to 25fps and see what happens.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:27 am

If the audio is connected with the video in one file (and not separated like in some formats) it'll be sped up just like the video. The timeline needs to be set to 25p too.

There used to be the Cinema tools from Apple where such a change was only a few mouseclicks away. But they are outdated, unfortunately.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

John Paines

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If the audio is connected with the video in one file (and not separated like in some formats) it'll be sped up just like the video. The timeline needs to be set to 25p too.

Based on my testing, what you propose won't work. Clip attributes *only* changes the video frame rate. This is with a single DNxHD file (V+stereo audio). To get the result you anticipate, I believe you'll need to do it as I suggested above.

Marc Wielage wrote:Change the audio Clip Attributes to 25fps and see what happens.

I have and I did.... And sync went out the window. That's why I'm raising the issue. Are you getting a different result -- with audio?

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 1:39 am

I'm sorry, didnt use that function with sound in a while. You're right, audio doesnt get changed.
You'll need external tools, like QTchange (I'm on the Mac) or you can use Fairlight to change audio too, even without pitch shift.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Better not to do pitch correction at all then do crap one.
Even best methods (eg. Dirac now called ZTX) sometimes give questionable results.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 3:19 pm

i used to get projects from mix stages for conversion in DS, they thought it did a better job than any tools they had on tap - but one of the lead dev's for DS was audio centric:

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/jean-marc-porchet

Return to DaVinci Resolve