HDCP version

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

trumpetplayer

HDCP version

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:31 am

Hello

Can someone tell me wich version of HDCP that Atem Mini videoswitcher supports?

best regards
Morten

Xtreemtec

Re: HDCP version

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:57 pm

NONE. ;) All BMD hardware does NOT support HDCP.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

trumpetplayer

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm

What do I do then - I’m sure that’s my problem - the communication between my Atem mini and my Panasonic projectors (PT-VMZ60). I only have black screen ?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Hello Morton. This will not be an HDCP issue with your projector. HDCP is an input process to the ATEM and not the output. Make sure you test with a short HDMI cable like 3 feet just to make sure it is not a cable length issue. There are internal projector settings that should be checked. Also make sure the ATEM 1080 frame rate is set to one of the supported frame rates in your projector. Not all rates are supported according to the projector manual.

Regards Gary (also a trumpet player)
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

trumpetplayer

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi Gary

All you suggest I’ve tried without succes :-(
So I thought that it was a sort of handshake issue?

Regards Morten

Frank Engel

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Is it working with something other than the projector?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Put a TV on it. See if it does anything.

Put the media player as a source or colorbar.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

trumpetplayer

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 8:43 pm

Yes it works on two of my TV’s (Sony and Samsung), but not on my projektors.
And that’s why I thought it might was a HDCP problem between BMD and Panasonic ?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I checked that beamer.,. Other then it does not like interlaced video on hdmi.. But it should work without an issue..

So no have no clue why it doesn't work.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Here's a test. If you have an HDMI source that directly works with the projector, connect it to HDMI Input #1 on the Mini. Set the Mini HDMI output to Input #1 Direct and see if that works on the Projector. I would think it has to but it's worth a test.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Eric-Jan

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:15 pm

Sometimes a different startup sequence of the hardware might help, also make adjustments in settings of software drivers while devices are on, and check with switched on hardware if settings are still the same, from previous "sessions"

btw. you say "projectors" the ATEM mini has only one HDMI output..... you know for sure this HDMI switch is working O.K. ? (and has correct specs for each projector ?
does each single projector work directly on the HDMI output of the ATEM mini ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

trumpetplayer

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 am

I do not have the Atem Mini with me these days, but as soon I'm back I will checkout your suggest.

Eric-Jan wrote:.....btw. you say "projectors" the ATEM mini has only one HDMI output..... you know for sure this HDMI switch is working O.K. ? (and has correct specs for each projector ?

I've tried with only one projector connected directly to HDMI output, also without succes :-(

trumpetplayer

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:07 am

Gary Adams wrote:Here's a test. If you have an HDMI source that directly works with the projector, connect it to HDMI Input #1 on the Mini. Set the Mini HDMI output to Input #1 Direct and see if that works on the Projector. I would think it has to but it's worth a test.

Regards, Gary

Now tried - don't work :-(

mmalesa

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem. I also tried two different, so called "EDID managers", with no luck.
The only solution I have for this problem and the only hint what may be wrong, is that when I connect HDMI Output from the ATEM mini through the Blackmagicdesign Video Assist passthrough monitor and THEN to the projector - it works.
On the Video Assist I can see that it recognized 1080p signal and thats it.
It works with TVs, computer monitors, camera monitors... everything but projector. Mine is Epson EB-2250U.
I asked BMD support about how Video Assist may change the signal (even the slightest hint here would be helpful) some time ago but without any answer.
Maybe with that additional knowledge you will come up with something and share your ideas.

Best regards,

trumpetplayer

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Sometimes a different startup sequence of the hardware might help, also make adjustments in settings of software drivers while devices are on, and check with switched on hardware if settings are still the same, from previous "sessions"

btw. you say "projectors" the ATEM mini has only one HDMI output..... you know for sure this HDMI switch is working O.K. ? (and has correct specs for each projector ?

Now I've tried without success :-( But maybe I did an important obsevation - When I try to change the resolution on my graficcard to any resolution with refresh rate 59 or 60 Hz, the active resolution on the projektor always will be 1920x1200.
But - if I change to ex. 1920x1080P 30 Hz, the active resolution on projector also will be 1920x1080 :-)

But it does not solve my problem, because the projector do not "remember" this setting.

Hope you understand my bad english?

regards Morten

Frank Engel

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Comparing the spec sheet for that projector against the specs for the ATEM mini, the formats they seem to have in common over HDMI are 1080p24, 1080p50 and 1080p60.

If you haven't already, try setting the output resolution for the ATEM Mini to one of those three modes and see if that works.

I am basing this on the chart on page 8 of this (options with a checkmark under "HDMI/DIGITAL LINK"): https://bizpartner.panasonic.net/public ... 8.6103.pdf

And the specs on the ATEM Mini located here ("HD Video Output Standards"): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-13

trumpetplayer

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:39 am

Frank Engel wrote:Comparing the spec sheet for that projector against the specs for the ATEM mini, the formats they seem to have in common over HDMI are 1080p24, 1080p50 and 1080p60.

If you haven't already, try setting the output resolution for the ATEM Mini to one of those three modes and see if that works.

I am basing this on the chart on page 8 of this (options with a checkmark under "HDMI/DIGITAL LINK"): https://bizpartner.panasonic.net/public ... 8.6103.pdf

And the specs on the ATEM Mini located here ("HD Video Output Standards"): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-13

The ATEM mini supports:

HD Video Output Standards
1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60

and the projector supports :

HDMI Moving image signal resolution: 480i*6/576i*6 to 4096 x 2160
Still image signal resolution: 640 × 400 to 1920 × 1200 (non-interlace)
Dot clock frequency: 25 MHz to 297 MHz

when I read the spec. I do not see any compatibility issues for the projector ?

Frank Engel

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

trumpetplayer wrote:any compatibility issues for the projector ?

Look at the chart that I provided a link to:

https://bizpartner.panasonic.net/public/system/files/files/fields/field_file/psd/2019/06/06/vmz60_spec_en_1559783048.6103.pdf

The projector does support those resolutions, but not at just any frame rate - it only supports a limited set of frame rates within that resolution when coming from HDMI. Only three of them match what is supported by the ATEM Mini.

trumpetplayer

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 11:58 am

Yes - your right, and the 3 resolutions that is supported by ATEM is:

1080p24
1080p60
1080p50

but I have tried all of them without succes :-(

best regards Morten

Frank Engel

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Based on all of the things suggested and tried on this thread, I'm lost too. It definitely sounds like it should be working.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 5:15 pm

test:
Will the projector show video when it's directly connected to the HDMI from a camera ? (HDMI without HDCP)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Peoplezbeats

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 am

So I recently had the same issue with a rental projector (Panasonic pt-vmz60)
It was a small room that added switching between 2 laptops last minute
From the Atem Mini to the projector a 50ft HDMI .
The HDMI would work from laptop direct to projector but once connected to atem Mini it would not work.
What made everything work was me putting a DAC-70 in between the atem Mini to the projector.
I have to test to see if a HDMI-DA would fix it as well but it was a time crunch moment and I did not care how it worked but as long as it worked.
So atem Mini HDMI out to DAC-70 HDMI in then DAC-70 HDMI out to projector HDMI in
If anyone has time to test a HDMI DA or any other device please post.
Maybe the HDMI out from the Mini needed a boost idk to be honest

trumpetplayer

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 8:30 am

Eric-Jan wrote:test:
Will the projector show video when it's directly connected to the HDMI from a camera ? (HDMI without HDCP)

I'll test as soon as possible, but I think it's working. I'll get back tomorrow ,-)

Mt_kiwi

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 4:04 am

I have the identical issue.
My sources are video camera.

My output goes to a CYP HDBaseT Splitter 1x4. (1x HDMI Input, 1x HDMI Output, 3x
HDBaseT Output). The HDBaseT is used to send video to Epsom EB-2265U projectors.

The HDMI output is used to send send to LENKENG HDBaseT over TCP/IP for multiple TV displays around our campus.

When I connect the sources directly to the HDBaseT Splitter, projectors and TV work perfectly.

When I connect sources to ATEM Mini, the projectors do not work, but the TVs work perfectly. (If i connect a monitor to the ATEM Mini no problems.)

Could it be that the output of the ATEM Mini is not compatible with the projectors and that a scaler is required? I don't believe it is an HDBaseT or HDCP issue, as there is no issue when source directly connected.

Thanks for your assistance :)

trumpetplayer

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 am

trumpetplayer wrote:
Eric-Jan wrote:test:

I'll test as soon as possible, but I think it's working. I'll get back tomorrow ,-)

I've now testet with a cam directly connected to projektor HDMI1, and it works fine !

Mt_kiwi

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 3:57 am

Mt_kiwi wrote:I have the identical issue.

My output goes to a CYP HDBaseT Splitter 1x4. (1x HDMI Input, 1x HDMI Output, 3x
HDBaseT Output). The HDBaseT is used to send video to Epsom EB-2265U projectors.

The HDMI output is used to send send to LENKENG HDBaseT over TCP/IP for multiple TV displays around our campus.

When I connect the sources directly to the HDBaseT Splitter, projectors and TV work perfectly.

When I connect sources to ATEM Mini, the projectors do not work, but the TVs work perfectly. (If i connect a monitor to the ATEM Mini no problems.)

Could it be that the output of the ATEM Mini is not compatible with the projectors and that a scaler is required? I don't believe it is an HDBaseT or HDCP issue, as there is no issue when source directly connected.

For what it is worth for anyone else having this issue, I resolced it by installing a Decimator HD-LX bi-directional converter between Mini ATEM and HDBaseT splitter. That resolved the problem. The Mini ATEM output is 1080p 50fps, and the converter output is 1080p 50 fps, but for some reason it makes all the difference.

Hope this helps someone else.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 10:32 am

What i now realize is, that what the original poster is looking for, is the HDMI version, a lot is to find on the internet about that, but will it always be: the latest version will be the best one, and all connections/cables should be of the same/latest version ?
Also, could the CEC "feature" sabotage "things" ? i guess switching (off) this feature would help ?

btw: HDCP is used to exchange (while protecting) copyrighted material between devices, so i guess HDCP isn't in play when using your own source video material. (or could a bad quality signal trigger HDCP ?)

Frank Engel

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 11:19 am

Poor quality signal should not add HDCP to a signal that does not already have it; if anything it might prevent an existing HDCP handshake from working, but then it wouldn't have worked through an ATEM to begin with.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 11:25 am

Frank Engel wrote:Poor quality signal should not add HDCP to a signal that does not already have it; if anything it might prevent an existing HDCP handshake from working, but then it wouldn't have worked through an ATEM to begin with.

Correct, that has already been tested (previous posts in this thread)

Gert

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 5:34 pm

It also might be a colour space problem. If the projector is set to RGB colorspace it might not work with YUV colorspace. The decimator might convert it to RGB color space, retaining the original framerate and resolution. A laptop with HDMI might work without problem as it is RGB colorspace. Most Panasonic projectors give you a choice on a specific HDMI input.
Atem 4M/E 8K; Atem 4M/E 4K; 10x Panasonic PTZ camera's; Panasonic RP150 Controller; Panasonic RP 60 controller; 3x Panasonic PX270; 3x Hyperdeck mini; Cleanswitch 12x12; Smartscope 4K; Videoassist 4k

yurkomik

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:57 pm

It's not just a projector issue. Many modern 4k TVs are not supported too. Only camera 1 direct works.

jperakis

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 5:06 pm

Mt_kiwi wrote:
Mt_kiwi wrote:I have the identical issue.

For what it is worth for anyone else having this issue, I resolced it by installing a Decimator HD-LX bi-directional converter between Mini ATEM and HDBaseT splitter. That resolved the problem. The Mini ATEM output is 1080p 50fps, and the converter output is 1080p 50 fps, but for some reason it makes all the difference.

Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for this tip, can you confirm that you use this model "DECIMATOR MD-LX HDMI/SDI Bidirectional Converter"... because I cannot find the HD-LX reference, unless this is an older model?

and which splitter model are you using exactly?

that would help, thanks in advance!
WECANLIVEonmars.com - innovation agency
WECANLIVEonmars.net - video network

Gert

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Some (Panasonic) projectors you have to set what colorspace is used. If you connect a laptop to the HDMI input and that works, then your setting in the projector is set to RGB colorspace. To accept YUV colorspace from the Atem you have to change the setting in the projector to YUV color space. Most projectors do this automatic, some don't. Read your projector manual for this setting.
Atem 4M/E 8K; Atem 4M/E 4K; 10x Panasonic PTZ camera's; Panasonic RP150 Controller; Panasonic RP 60 controller; 3x Panasonic PX270; 3x Hyperdeck mini; Cleanswitch 12x12; Smartscope 4K; Videoassist 4k

Return to Live Production