Intesity Shuttle (Thunderbolt)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

kroox23

Intesity Shuttle (Thunderbolt)

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 pm

I've tried to update my Blackmagic Intesity Shuttle firmware (for Thunderbolt on my computer MacBook Pro 2016, Mac OS Mojave), but the installation failed at 75%. Now it's not working (computer is not detecting the device). I've tried to reinstall few version of Desktop Video Setup hoping it will solve a problem, but it's not. Can you please let me know how to initilize the firmware updater by myself?

I live in Poland where we have only official resellers, and no support office. I'm sure the device is OK and there is no need to repair it / sending to different country just to re-flash the firmware...
Please help me,

Kind regards,
Tom

Ilik2luk

Re: Intesity Shuttle (Thunderbolt)

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am

Hi Tom,
My name is Sasha. I also have a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) which I have recently purchased & my computer is Apple iMac 21" desktop (macOS Catalina). However, I'm also connecting to a Panasonic VHS/DVD combo player & recorder. I'm not exactly sure what difficulty or problems you're experiencing but I'm guessing that you & I might possibly be experiencing similar problems &/or difficulty getting started. As I browsed through Blackmagic Forum I found the following post titled "Intensity Shuttle VHS recording" (dated February 17, 2017). Since we can't include URL in our posts I can only direct you to follow Forum Index: Board index » General » Getting Started » (Print view post titled) "Intensity Shuttle VHS recording" (dated February 17, 2017). Same location as your posting but on page 8, your is on page 1. It is a 3-year-old post but I doubt that the difficulties & problems using Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) have changed since then. You'll find an extensive dialogue discussing difficulties along with solutions from several users which hopefully could be useful & lead you to a possible solution. I haven't had an opportunity yet to check into the resolutions in that discussion but plan to get started tomorrow. I may need a "Time Base Corrector" (TBC) along with my Intensity Shuttle. I hope this is helpful to you.
Good luck,
Sasha

Forum Index: Board index » General » Getting Started »
Intensity Shuttle VHS recording

kroox23

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Ok, thanks for your response. Please let me know how did it go :) I doubt we have a same problem here. What Im struggling with is a bad firmware that wasn't fully updated into the device during the update. From that time its not working at all - my computer (Desktop Video Setup) is not recognizing my BM Intesity.

leonardchurch93

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 2:34 am

Hey Kroox23, I too am having the same issue. I'm using a Thunderbolt shuttle too but on windows 10. The device has worked before but it required an update today. I wasn't exactly what was being updated as I had Desktop video and media express open at the same time and was testing a video feed chain. In the middle of updating I unplugged my shuttle and the update failed. but now there is no response from device manager or any of my shuttle managing programs. My pc doesn't even recognise it for what it is anymore. I've also tried versions of Desktop Video as far back as 10.9.5.

kroox23

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:20 pm

and nothing helps...
im sending my device to the producer / distributor. Hopefully they will help by reflashing it.

kroox23

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 pm

...and they didn't.

My device is not repairable. Everything because I've interrupted the firmware update. I did't know I break hardware with software issues. Now I know!

My advice: DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!

Eric-Jan

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:30 am

One have to see the difference between the different failures, if your device is detected in your OS and the BMD software, failure can be: resolution settings do not match, check with the OSD of a device tv/monitor if these are correct with your settings, secondly, the video signal may not be stable enough, having the correct TBC between video source and Intensity Shuttle could help, but the only good TBC's are most of the time the professional ones, you need to know which one you need, you need to get hold of one, pay maybe a high price for it, even some of these also expect a good signal.
The use of a passthrough device could also work, or a other than composite connection on a VCR like component or HDMI connection.
A passthrough device can be: a VHS/DVD recorder combo, (not a VCR with build-in DVD player) or a DVD/HDD recorder, these devices can have component or HDMI output connections ,(the composite/s-video connections may also be an option) and output the the signal of the VCR in a stable form, to capture/transfer with the Intensity Shuttle.
(keep in mind that RGB is not the same YUV, an RGB option must be switched off because sometimes that connection is used for both)
If this still will not work, you can try a converter, but quality will not be optimal ! so you could try a AV2HDMI converter, the 4:3 format will be stretched to 16:9 most of the time, which you can correct in post.

or check my guide on this forum for other directions.

btw @kroox23 you might email BMD, asking them to un-brick your Intensity Shuttle, this should be an option.

btw: connecting a PAL or NTSC device to a flat screen results the the display going into 576p/i or 480p/i mode, but video output of vcr will be 625p/i or 525p/i < these values should be the settings in the BMD software, (Video Setup and Media Express) the 576 and 480 values are what the tv it converts it to.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

HerschelC

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:11 am

How does one update the firmware of the Intensity Shuttle thunderbolt version? I’m not sure if that is the problem but it’s the only thing I haven’t tried. I know my computer is picking up the Intensity Shuttle because I can manipulate the settings in Desktop video of which I have the latest version. But even though I set my Sony camera to the same settings as the desktop video and media express settings, I can’t seem to get a video feed showing up in Media express on the capture tab. I’m using a 2014 MacBook Pro 15” by the way. Thanks in advance.

Return to Getting Started