Advice for setting up a remote shared database PC and MAC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jgharding

Advice for setting up a remote shared database PC and MAC

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi all,

I have two editors, both with access to the same Dropbox.

One is on PC, one on Mac, both using Resolve 16.

I wanted to have a shared database so each editor can make changes to the same files, not necessarily simultaneously.

I tried using a disk database in Resolve in Dropbox, but this caused problems with the file paths for PC and Mac being different, files had to be relinked every time even if they were in Dropbox.

Is there a sensible simple way to do this properly?

mpetech

Re: Advice for setting up a remote shared database PC and MA

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:24 pm

I have never tried the Dropbox method. I didn't even know that was possible. We use PostgreSQL method, which requires a simple Win/OSX/Linux server hosting the database and accessible via IP.

For the file path issue, you will need to map it in Resolve on both the PC and Mac. DR will act as a translator. It is in the manual.

jgharding

Re: Advice for setting up a remote shared database PC and MA

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I made up the Dropbox method myself, and it does work, except for the way Mac and PC map the files being different.

I'll check the manual for what you're talking about and see if that solves the problem.

I'm guessing the issue Vs. dropbox is that the server would have to be on all the time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve