UI compositing issue - major inconvenience

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EposVox

UI compositing issue - major inconvenience

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi all! Ever since the latest update to Studio (16.1.2.026) I've had some serious compositing issues with Resolve's UI that didn't present as a problem before.
The new way of rendering the timeline mode selection menu (to change between tabbed or compact timelines, etc.), editing markers, and even the activation window for resolve, entering the key. I can't click on anything and can only sometimes use tab to get the correct button to work. (This does not work for enabling tabbed timelines, which has been a major annoyance for my work.)
I've updated GPU drivers, tried uninstalling and reinstalling Resolve, nothing has fixed it. This is super frustrating and causes a lot of delays in my projects.
Any ideas or anyone else know of this problem?

Here's a couple video samples of it happening.
and

Specs:
AMD 3970x, 128GB RAM, Nvidia Titan RTX w/ latest Studio drivers (Feb 3)
Windows 10 pro x64, 1909 latest updates
Last edited by EposVox on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

producerguy

Re: UI compositing issue - major inconvenience

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:01 pm

OK, that's buggy - and almost funny to watch. Frustrating too.

When you re-installed DR did you first eliminate all instances of the program on Windows first? The built-in removal tool from BM doesn't catch everything, and I'd highly suggest you re-do that process but MANUALLY search for and delete *anything* from BM from the machine before the reinstall.

Make sure you save all your project files first (.drp) and ensure that you don't move, delete or rename any of the assets you've used in all your projects. Otherwise the .drp files won't work when you re-import them into the project manager.

I had similar issues with small features going wonky; turned out the database for DR was no longer stable. So I did the exact process above and voila, back in working order.

Try it and see how things go.

producerguy

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:03 pm

PS - The latest version is 16.1.2. Unless there's a project-specific reason you can't update to the latest version I'd try using that for your re-install. It may also address some of the niggles.

EposVox

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 pm

I'll try going through and deleting everything; just didn't want to do that since I have other BMD products installed.

producerguy wrote:PS - The latest version is 16.1.2. Unless there's a project-specific reason you can't update to the latest version I'd try using that for your re-install. It may also address some of the niggles.

Yes, I typed 0 instead of 1, that's my bad.

Also Resolve makes me re-enter activation key like every other time I use it. Real fun.
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:08 pm

Deleting likely won't help. I'm seeing the same issue with the timeline view options.

EposVox

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Alright, tried a number of things - rolling back recent windows updates, deleting all BM traces and reinstalling, etc.
The actual issue has to do with display scaling. At default, system-level scaling % this is not a problem. Working great. But if you manually override scaling (because I'm on a monitor with 200% scaling but for Resolve that makes the UI uselessly large and somehow Resolve doesn't have controls for that) or you have a secondary monitor with a different % scaling and Resolve decides to launch with that (happens to me regularly) this happens.
So if I guarantee it runs at default 200%, it seems to work fine.
That's just miserable for other reasons.

Cool.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Ah, that explains why I was only seeing it on one of my PC:s, thanks.

EposVox

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 pm

So I guess bug report/feature request: Resolve really needs more fine control over UI scaling - looking like it's a tablet app on 4K displays is kinda insane and I'm not sure how anyone else deals with it.
(I've seen many people shy away from Resolve for this reason or try switching to Linux for it where UI scaling is more controlled.)

Return to DaVinci Resolve