Unable to open SD/C-fast media door

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

SilentRunning

Unable to open SD/C-fast media door

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Just got my Pocket 4k in today and noticed that the media door is not opening. I'm not sure if I'm missing a catch or pressure release somewhere but it's a bit confounding.
My assumption is it shouldn't be rocket science but...famous last words...
The seam for the door is very tight as well so I'm not interested in shoving something in to it to pry it open.
I'm of the mind if it doesn't go like it's suppose to, don't force it.
I'm just not sure if I'm missing something?
I watched a video with someone opening but unfortunately how he did it was facing away from the camera.
Any help would be appreciated.

SilentRunning

Re: Unable to open SD/C-fast media door

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Ah! Success! Thanks, Ray!

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 3:55 am

Aye, the door is a bit tough to open. Thumb slides rather than door. Then I managed to break off the small plastic parts of the door holding it closed. So now I have a loose door, albeit usable for now. Will be sending it back for warranty repair. Otherwise, I have been using the camera and it has been holding up well.

Unrelated but while think of doors:
The battery door seems to not close and lock real securely, but that has been removed for my power solution of dummy bat from a brick on my belt.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

John Paines

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 3:54 pm

To this day, I can't open the battery compartment of the BMPCC, without expecting it to be the last time. It's no better on the BMPCC 4K. The card compartment requires far too much force, and the battery door mechanism, if it's not flapping open from the start , doesn't look like it will survive actual use in the field. Same with the battery holding/ejection mechanism, with failures and jams already widely reported.

Hard to know what calculation led to these choices, other than hitting the magic $999 number. Superb, state of the art operating system, paired with unaccountably poor hardware -- stuff you wouldn't find on the cheapest camcorders from the majors.

Denny Smith

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 5:51 pm

The original Pocket camera was on the fragile side, but when used with care was very reliable. The new Pocket seems more robust. On the other side, Ursa Minis are fairly well built also, but all if the, can be broken, if you do not use some care. The Little Micro was a fairly solid build also, but it did not have any doors, and only one nice tight fitting battery latch.

Too bad BM didn’t follow through with a little more robust build on the new Pocket 4K, the devil is in the details... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Blazer12

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 am

Ray - Thank you so much. Just got the 4k today and could not figure out based on the instructions to, "open the door". Probably would have really damaged or broken the door without your post!

rward39571

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 6:42 pm

I see the questions, but not Ray's response. What is the answer? How do you get the door open?

rward39571

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Well, I found it. It seems as if a word or two in the manual about this would have helped tremendously. There is nothing at all intuitive about it, yet the manual can only say, basically, open the door to insert the storage card.

JonWill

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello...I'm a newbie here and I have the same problem with the media door. I am worried if I press with too much force it will break off. Please - what is Ray's shared solution?

Best wishes to everyone.

John Williams.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 8:00 pm

User Manual Page 10:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... Manual.pdf

What I do:
Hold the camera in both hands, where the right hand's thumb rests on the camera back (side with the display), and the other fingers on the side of the door. Now while using the thumb as a lever, pull the fingers (still pressed gentle onto the door) to the palm of your hand. The door should slide towards you now.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

USAMedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

Darn!
We need a video for this! but thanks for your help. got it open finally!
Alex Ramirez
Media Producer/Musician

Sean Weaver

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 pm

So I have a BMPCC6k Pro and a BMPCC6k (regular). Both new within the previous 6 months. The 6k pro is super easy to slide the door open on. The 6k, the door is much tighter. I don't need brute force and have no concern of damage. After calling tech support this afternoon to discuss the issue, I was still having trouble opening the door reliably with ease on the 6k. Seems that with my thumb on the top of the camera and the side of my index finger (so not the tip but the length of the finger) pointed down into the groove, I can leverage the slide back and the get the door open in a swifter motion. But I do wonder if the media doors vary a bit from unit to unit. I don't have to think about it on the 6k Pro and on this one I do have to be more conscientious. I am always able to get it open without force but the positioning of my hands seems a lot more fickle
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Return to Cinematography