Bug: 'Replace selected clip' looses clip attribute

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Darius Family

Bug: 'Replace selected clip' looses clip attribute

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 am

Replace selected clip.png
Screenshot of the replace selected clip command in the media pool clip right-click menu
Replace selected clip.png (37.01 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

The 'Replace selected clip' function is found above the 'Relink' command. Currently, it appears to be broken because using the command results in the newly selected clip:

• Loosing all previously set clip attributes (frame-rate, PAR, custom reel name etc)
  • All instances of the clip in the timeline have had their in/out points reset reset and they now all start from SRC 00:00:00:00.

Example 1 - Loosing clip in/out range: I have 10 near-identical timelines for a TVC which are all versions of one main edit. Each timeline uses the same audio mix, 'Stereo Mix V1.wav', but has a localised graphic at the start and the end.

The audio WAV has been trimmed to start 5 seconds into the WAV (to remove the 2-pop lead-in).

I receive an updated mix which needs to be replaced across all the timelines.

I go to the media pool and right-click on 'Stereo Mix V1.wav' then choose 'Replace selected clip' and navigate to 'Stereo Mix V2.wav'

Clicking ok, back in the timelines, the audio clip has been replaced with the V2 mix BUT each audio clip is now starting at 00, when it was supposed to be starting 5seconds in.

Example 2 - Loosing clip attributes: Say you have a 25fps clip you have rate-conformed to 24fps and placed into a timeline. You want to quickly swap the source file for a new version (scenario, working on an archive documentary and you receive a new, better quality film scan). You right click on the clip in the media pool, choose 'Replace selected clip', navigate to the new clip and select ok.

The clip has been swapped out but the frame-rate has reset itself back to 25fps and the extents in your timeline are incorrect.

As far as I can see, the 'Replace selected clip' command is not mentioned in the manual so the intended outcome of the command is not clear. I can only assume that the command is mimicking the highly useful feature in Premiere / After Effects which allows the user to easily swap out source files with different versions. I went into further detail about how the feature can be used to great effect
in a reply below

Running Resolve 16.1.2. Have had this issue on 16.1.1 too.

:?

Code: Select all
Edits: 2020-05-26: Added further example, screenshot of tool and tried to make clearer.
Last edited by Darius Family on Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TD @ Post Lab IO

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: BUG: Resolve looses clip attributes when clip is 'replac

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 am

It might be a frame rate issue, i constantly swap clips and retain color and other attributes...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Darius Family

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 am

I should clarify, its not just the frame-rate that we loose its seems like anything that has been manually set in the clip attributes page is susceptible.

I've lost custom paramaters for the following fields in the clip attributes panel:
  • Pixel aspect ratio
  • Frame-rate
  • Custom reel name
  • Timecodes / Timecode offsets
TD @ Post Lab IO

waltervolpatto

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 am

Darius Family wrote:I should clarify, its not just the frame-rate that we loose its seems like anything that has been manually set in the clip attributes page is susceptible.

I've lost custom paramaters for the following fields in the clip attributes panel:
  • Pixel aspect ratio
  • Frame-rate
  • Custom reel name
  • Timecodes / Timecode offsets

i dont think you can do that: if you swap a clip in the timeline, the color/fusion/edit parameter are retained , but the clip attributes are individual per clip.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Darius Family

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:04 am

Oh sorry I might not have been clear in my original post!

I'm reffering to replacing a clips source file in the Media Pool using the 'Replace selected clip' function.

This function is super handy in principal, its been around in Premiere for ages and was introduced into Resolve I think in version 16.

The idea is that, for example, you have a new version of a graphic supplied to you, you can just replace the clips source file in the media pool and it then updates all instances of that clip in the project - at least thats how I would expect it work, and thats how it works in Premiere.
TD @ Post Lab IO

waltervolpatto

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:13 am

Darius Family wrote:Oh sorry I might not have been clear in my original post!

I'm reffering to replacing a clips source file in the Media Pool using the 'Replace selected clip' function.

This function is super handy in principal, its been around in Premiere for ages and was introduced into Resolve I think in version 16.

The idea is that, for example, you have a new version of a graphic supplied to you, you can just replace the clips source file in the media pool and it then updates all instances of that clip in the project - at least thats how I would expect it work, and thats how it works in Premiere.

I'm not sure it works in that way in resolve...

Darius Family

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I'm not sure it works in that way in resolve...

Clearly not haha! What would be its intended function then, if not to quickly replace a files source media?

It's not for relinking, given there is already a relink function now.

I can't think of a scenario where you'd want to replace a source clips file and have the clips attributes reset.
TD @ Post Lab IO

Darius Family

PostFri May 22, 2020 8:03 am

Further to this bug, I just replaced a bunch of audio files and now each instance of the audio in the timeline has lost their in/out ranges.

ie the clips are all starting at the start of the audio file.

Basically making the replace file function completely useless. I now have to remove and re-add in each audio file into the timeline.

Does anyone know if this bug has been fixed in newer version?
TD @ Post Lab IO

Jim Simon

PostFri May 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Darius Family wrote:making the replace file function completely useless.

Your situation is...unusual.

If you need the shot at 24, why is it being created at 25?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Darius Family

PostSat May 23, 2020 12:51 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Darius Family wrote:making the replace file function completely useless.

Your situation is...unusual.

If you need the shot at 24, why is it being created at 25?

Sorry to be rude but regardless of what you think is and isn't a usual process, don't you agree the replace clip function should retain previously selected clip attributes and clip in/out selections?

If you have to recut the material into the timeline after replacing it, then what's the point of the function?

My last reply is not on a project with mixed frame rates but for your information, the process I describe in my original post is called frame rate conforming. It's a technique used on archive documentaries and other projects where you have mixed frame rates.

The project is 24, but some material is 25fps you can either interpolate the material (You drop the 25fps clip into the 24fps timeline and let Resolve maintain duration and sync by dropping frames) or you can 'conform' the material to 24fps (Change the frame rate in clip attributes makes Resolve play the clip at 24fps, this changes the speed of the clip and you loose sync but you don't introduce any drop frames etc).

For non-sync shots, this is the preferred method as it doesn't introduce it remove any frames.

The technique works in both directions for 25/24fps material.

Another option is to hardware convert but again this either introduces or removes frames so it's not the most ideal method.
TD @ Post Lab IO

Jim Simon

PostSat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm not so much commenting on "should or shouldn't". I'm suggesting that what you're doing seems out of the ordinary, so accommodating it may simply not have happened yet.

But your additional info does raise another question. If the footage is archival, already existing, why are you replacing it? I presume your team doesn't have access to a time machine, so going back to re-shoot the archival shot can't be the answer. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

franciscovaldez

PostSat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Darius Family wrote:Oh sorry I might not have been clear in my original post!

I haven't used the replace clip function but it sounds just like a shortcut for import and replace..

Maybe this is what you would want to do: If you replace the source on the drive with an updated version of the clip but with the same name, resolve will recognize it and retain all its attributes.

But if you import a new version of the clip directly, resolve interprets this as a new clip with its own particular attributes.

For example, this way you could have a clip that was shot at 48fps in one bin in the media pool with its native attributes and in another bin with tribute at 24fps.

I get your point, this being a new tool, it could have it's own new sets of rules. But if it's just mimicking the usual manual process, then is not a bug; it's supposed to work that way.

In my case when I need to keep, for example each vfx with their version number, what I do is import and copy/paste the attributes from the clip it's replacing... I use different approaches for this, depending of what I need to copy. Most of the time, hitting the = key while on the color page is all I need to do before disabling the old clip.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Darius Family

PostSun May 24, 2020 2:55 am

Jim Simon wrote:If the footage is archival, already existing, why are you replacing it? I presume your team doesn't have access to a time machine, so going back to re-shoot the archival shot can't be the answer. :)

Again, the archival material is just an example of one scenario. My recent post was related to replacing audio WAVs. When replacing the WAV file, the audio clips in the timeline had reset to all start at zero when they should have been trimmed to start a few seconds in.

Regards archival material: Archive material is licenced per second and you never get access to high-quality masters or scans until you have paid. So low-res watermarked proxies supplied by the archive provider are used until the edit is locked, and then the production knows exactly which clips are being used and thus can go out and licence them.

Common process if you work on archive docs :)

franciscovaldez wrote: I haven't used the replace clip function but it sounds just like a shortcut for import and replace.

I don't think the developers took the time to create 'Replace Clip' to simplify a 2-step process? (1. Import new clip, 2. Delete old clip) ;)

If you look at tools like Premiere or After Effects which have similarly named functions: the function swaps out, in-place, with the file of your choosing.

This feature is incredibly useful and is something I've used for years in the Adobe suite.

Imagine you're working on a commercial job which has 3x30" spots, 2x15" cutdowns and 5x social edits. Producer walks in and says, "the client has sent us a new version of their end ident. Can you swap it out on all the edits?"

All the edits use the same file but some of them have cut a few seconds from the end, or trimmed some hold time in the middle or you've speed ramped the clip to resolve on faster for the shorter edits.

So how do you update these 10 edits without having to re-do all your work?

Of course, you are not going to overwrite the original media on disk because you need to keep the other version in case you need to revert. Not to mention, the new ident has a new file name, so you're sure as hell not going to rename it to the old versions name just so you can overwrite the file on your disk to then trick Resolve.

So instead, because the ident is the same duration, you right-click on the file in the prooject and use the 'Replace Selected Clip' function. The clip is swapped out for the new version throughout all your timelines. It takes less than 5 seconds to do and now you can hit render on your old render items. You've just updated 10 edits in under 5 seconds!

Some more examples of where you would use this:
    - Swapping a low-res proxy with a high-res version on an archive doco.
    - Replacing an ident which is being used multiple times across different edits on a commercial.
    - Swapping out a new audio mix or sound effect on any type of production.

Can you see how this feature could be used to great effect? However at present, as mentioned above using the feature loses not only the clip attributes but also the clip extents in the timeline. I cannot see how this could be the intended function.
TD @ Post Lab IO

franciscovaldez

PostSun May 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Ok. I think I kind of get what you mean.

I'm not an editor, but you got me at the 5 seconds comment.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Kenzo

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:19 am

Darius Family wrote:Some more examples of where you would use this:
    - Swapping a low-res proxy with a high-res version on an archive doco.
    - Replacing an ident which is being used multiple times across different edits on a commercial.
    - Swapping out a new audio mix or sound effect on any type of production.

Can you see how this feature could be used to great effect?

Look in the manual and check Reconform.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Darius Family

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:46 am

Hey Kenzo, thanks for the suggestion but for the reconform tool to work in any of the scenarios I described, you would still need to open all the timelines and uncheck 'Conform Lock' on the desired clips prior to launching the reconform tool.

Then, you would have to place the new version of the file in either a separate directory or bin so you could point the tool to the right version of the file.
TD @ Post Lab IO

Steve Alexander

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:08 am

Darius Family wrote:Hey Kenzo, thanks for the suggestion but for the reconform tool to work in any of the scenarios I described, you would still need to open all the timelines and uncheck 'Conform Lock' on the desired clips prior to launching the reconform tool.

Then, you would have to place the new version of the file in either a separate directory or bin so you could point the tool to the right version of the file.

Exactly - that's how it is done in Resolve and has been for as long as I can remember. Doesn't quite work the way you would like, I suppose. I was going to chime in earlier but Kenzo's response nailed it. In addition, the 'Replace Clip' function has a different use case. One example might be when you want to swap-out one B-Roll shot for another without affecting the timing of the sequence and yet retain other attributes related to effects or color grading.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Kenzo

PostMon May 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Darius Family wrote:Hey Kenzo, thanks for the suggestion but for the reconform tool to work in any of the scenarios I described, you would still need to open all the timelines and uncheck 'Conform Lock' on the desired clips prior to launching the reconform tool.

Hmm, I may not understand you well but if you want to replace the clip with a newer version (with the same name and TC range) you can use relink for this. Relink does not change Clip Attributes.
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

Darius Family

PostTue May 26, 2020 12:37 am

I apologise If I haven't been clear enough in my posts. I have updated my original post with some further details and clarity (I hope!).

I have used Resolve for nearly 10 years and I work with an even more experienced colourist (They're also a BMD certified Resolve trainer) who has witnessed the issue, and agrees that the the 'Replace selected clip' command cannot be working as intended given it results in lost clip attributes and resetting of clip extents.

Kenzo. Steve Alexande. Jim Simon; You all have a high post count on the forums here so I can only assume you are also experienced users. Please at least attempt to replicate the bugs I've listed.

If you like, I'd be happy to setup a test project and provide some sample media.

All I'm hearing right now is 'your use case is not my use case and thus is invalid', to which I ask, why are you wasting your time trying to invalidate a bug report for a feature that you don't even use?
TD @ Post Lab IO

Steve Alexander

Re: Bug: 'Replace selected clip' looses clip attribute

PostTue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

OK - I gave your updated post a re-read and tried your workflow.

I agree that 'Replace Selected Clip...' does NOT work the way I would expect.

I was unable to search the User Manual (PDF) for the term 'Replace Selected' to read what BMD had to say on the subject.

So my previous comment about using re-conform tools is irrelevant to your original post. I should also add that when you were first describing 'replace clip' I misinterpreted your workflow as replacing a clip in the timeline with a different clip but keeping all other aspects such as color grading and effects.

I did a Google search for 'Replace Selected Clip' for Davinci Resolve and had no luck...
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Darius Family

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 am

Hey Steve, I just wanted to come back to say thank you for taking the time to test the function.

I have not yet tested on the latest version of Resolve, fingers crossed it has been addressed.
TD @ Post Lab IO

AntonPalmqvist

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Having the same issue I stumbled upon this thread. I can't agree more that the expected result would be to retain the in/out points when choosing "Replace Selected Clips"!

I'm new to Resolve so I haven't figured out the proper workflows just yet, but I solved it by creating a new, versioned, folder with the new files named exactly as the old ones, and then choosing "Relink Selected Clips" instead.

ivan.volkow

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:23 pm

+1
The same bug in the 17 version

ColinMcT

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 1:49 am

bump
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:52 am

And I notice that "Replace Selected Clip" is not in the 17.4 manual.

What happens if you choose "Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip" instead? That's usually how I do what you're describing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Einzelhaft

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 6:41 pm

I'm a recently new user, but I have run into this almost immediately, myself. I go through the trouble to input comments / scene numbers / descriptions for clips, and then if I produce an updated version of the source and use "Replace Selected Clip," all of those attributes are wiped out, making me waste tons of time re-inputting the stuff. There should at least be an option to retain these fields. I've not once replaced a clip where I didn't want to keep at least that info intact. :-(

ohimbz

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 pm

I have just hit the same problem

Replace Clip is useless ...

I have edited a documentary with placeholder audio files, thinking that i will replace them later with mastered audio files. When i try to change the audio files to the ones with the mastered sound, the In / Out points do not matter anymore .. everything starts from 0 in the timeline ..

Replace clip is basically useless

Resolve 17.4.2 Build 9
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

ohimbz

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Hmmm ... i have figured out what happens and why Resolve is not able to replace it properly with the In/OUT range.

It's the Timecode embedded in the audio file that messes up everything.

Zoom H4n Records a timecode, the mastered file which i want to use after does not have the timecode data anymore, even if it's basically the same duration.

I have to manually import my new file, set up with clip attributes the same timecode start as the original file, and then use Conform Lock with Media Pool Clip (right click in the timeline, while you have the new file selected in the bins)

This is so cumbersome and quite dumb for what it was a simple file replacement option.

The easy Work around for this issue is that i simply use Relink option but with that i have to use the exact same file name as the original file, which adds to the confusion in a large project because nobody knows if the new file used is the mastered one or not.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-06 161447.png
Screenshot 2021-12-06 161447.png (22 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Screenshot 2021-12-06 161413.png
Screenshot 2021-12-06 161413.png (19.7 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Last edited by ohimbz on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

ColinMcT

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:29 pm

What would be great if we could replace selected clip based on the timecode
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

zahraashams

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 7:24 pm

Hi,
I have been searching all over the internet and finally found a post that describes my exact problem,
Have you been able to resolve the issue of replacing a clip but keeping the same "start frame", as I am facing the issue of the new clip starting from 00:00 each time.
I've tried all of the suggestions on the thread.. nothing seemed to work .

Does anyone have any suggestions?

jholway

PostSat Oct 07, 2023 9:49 pm

Darius Family don't worry your situation is not unusual like others have said. Totally standard when receiving renders from vfx for swapping with old versions of clip. I would love to know the answer to this question as well.

It is something that is very simple in premiere... hoping resolve has a similar function as I've ditched premiere.

Adam_L

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 3:26 pm

Has a solution to this bug been found? I'm still getting it even in the most current version. It's pretty game breaking if you ask me and I'm considering just dropping resolve and going back to premiere because of it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve