Shipping dates

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

PetePolyakov

Re: Shipping dates

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 am

Eric Santiago wrote:It was a lot easier back in August when everyone was blaming Apple ;)

Btw the camera will not change my world, it just changes my financial situation for the next year.
If I dont see this thing soon, then its bank loan time for a Scarlet package.
Notice I didnt add ":P" or ":)" on the end of that sentence.
Thats cause Im ready for any challenges Im about to face ;)

the same here, i will try to sell all this stuff for BMC that i bought and will get loan for scarlet if the situation won't change in a month.

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 am

simonkn wrote:I cant give them any idea when the flight will go. I can't tell them when it will arrive. I can't tell them if they have a seat on it.. All I know is that if the delay is longer than 3 hours, they will get a free packet of peanuts and a drink..

The key in any conflicts Simon to understand the reason why this or that person complains. Basically your "i can't" keeps the answer on the question that you really can do for your clients. If you will need assistance with a pr management in your company let me know. I would cut 65-75% of those complains.

;-)
cheers.
Last edited by PetePolyakov on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PetePolyakov

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 am

Eric Santiago wrote:It was a lot easier back in August when everyone was blaming Apple ;)

Now is hard to believe in that story.

Antonio Rosiello

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

this thing is getting boring...

Ikonoskop i'm coming...the double but if i pay today i get it tomorrow

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 10:35 am

To be honest, I am now getting a little impatient... I might just go down the FS700 route instead:(

Andrew McMurry

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 5:09 pm

lol ^^^

Going to spend $8-15K on another camera because of a delay? Hahaha. Wow.

bhook

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Are any cameras being shipped at all at this point? If this has been answered, please point me to the thread.

simonkn

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 5:27 pm

PetePolyakov wrote:
simonkn wrote:I cant give them any idea when the flight will go. I can't tell them when it will arrive. I can't tell them if they have a seat on it.. All I know is that if the delay is longer than 3 hours, they will get a free packet of peanuts and a drink..

The key in any conflicts Simon to understand the reason why this or that person complains. Basically your "i can't" keeps the answer on the question that you really can do for your clients. If you will need assistance with a pr management in your company let me know. I would cut 65-75% of those complains.

;-)
cheers.

You've confused me Peter.. Your post explained your prowess at Customer Service and then you offer your services as a PR consultant. Two opposite ends of the spectrum, don't you think??
SK

daniel ltr7

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Wonder what limited shipping should mean...
Just a way to avoid correcting shipping dates again, as there is nowhere written when regular shipping will start. Calling limited shipping, when Philip Bloom or other VIPs get an test camera is a bit of an euphemism (As I understand till now USA got 8 cameras and UK 2...)
I ordered in may, and just had to pay 2.500€ because I had to rent a F3 where the BMC should have been => could now already have two of this BMCs :cry:

daniel

Costa Louvieris

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Andrewmfilms wrote:lol ^^^

I'm sorry, do you know me or how much money I have or what camera's I own already? No, didn't think so!

I have an FS100, so going the FS700 route really isn't that dumb now, is it? Your comment on the other hand...

I am still hoping and waiting for something to come from BMD. As of now I am losing a little faith. Especially considering I am waiting on TWO of their delayed products.

Scott R McCartney

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:25 pm

mhood wrote:Are any cameras being shipped at all at this point? If this has been answered, please point me to the thread.

BMD's position hasn't changed since friday as far as I can tell.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=998

bhook

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Scott R McCartney wrote:
mhood wrote:Are any cameras being shipped at all at this point? If this has been answered, please point me to the thread.

BMD's position hasn't changed since friday as far as I can tell.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=998

I understand that they're working to get "more" stock flowing and that they aren't shipping in volume but my question stands AFAIK: Are ANY cameras being shipped?

Andrew McMurry

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Costa wrote:
Andrewmfilms wrote:lol ^^^

I'm sorry, do you know me or how much money I have or what camera's I own already? No, didn't think so!

I have an FS100, so going the FS700 route really isn't that dumb now, is it? Your comment on the other hand...

I am still hoping and waiting for something to come from BMD. As of now I am losing a little faith. Especially considering I am waiting on TWO of their delayed products.

I'm not stopping you from buying a FS700. Heck, if you have that kind of money, go for it. I just don't know why you'd abandon a $3,000 cinema camera because of a delay. Unless you're filthy rich.

Nick Smith

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I wish I was filthy rich. Then I could just buy an Alexa and be done with all this.

sean mclennan

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 2:24 pm

I hope they lock down this thread soon...it's become completely unproductive

davedunville

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 3:06 pm

sean mclennan wrote:I hope they lock down this thread soon...it's become completely unproductive

I agree. There's nothing in this thread but complaints now.

bhook

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

davedunville wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:I hope they lock down this thread soon...it's become completely unproductive

I agree. There's nothing in this thread but complaints now.

Asking if any cameras are shipping in a "Shipping dates" thread is perfectly legitimate. And why would stifling discussion of the shipping problems BMD and we customers are experiencing be important to you? There's a locked announcement thread for official statements...go there.

Terry Frechette wrote:This is an open forum, and people can freely express their thoughts. But we do expect the discussion to be civil.

Terry

Antonio Rosiello

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm

@Nick Smith :

there's the Ikonoskop, but it costs 7700 euro! Nothing like the BMCC on the market...i mean...when it comes on the market...

Nick Smith

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Nah. I've committed to the BMCC because it's exactly what I need as a student filmmaker. It just makes me a little sad that I won't receive mine in time to shoot my first project this year on it. I've already spent all my free money buying the thing, so I don't have much left over to be renting cameras as well.

Costa Louvieris

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Apologies if this has already been asked, but how many have shipped so far? I'm 45 odd in the line at CVP, so was wondering how long it would take to get mine delivered...

Nick Bedford

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Costa wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked, but how many have shipped so far? I'm 45 odd in the line at CVP, so was wondering how long it would take to get mine delivered...

None of us have any idea :(
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

RichDorato

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, CVP still haven't received any units, so... It's less when will they get additional or enough stock and more when will they get any stock.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 am

Costa wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked, but how many have shipped so far? I'm 45 odd in the line at CVP, so was wondering how long it would take to get mine delivered...

i think a couple months at least. because if they could cover part of pre-orders we would see a lot of video tests from users.. but.. we see the same faces

PetePolyakov

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 2:42 am

RichDorato wrote:Well, CVP still haven't received any units, so... It's less when will they get additional or enough stock and more when will they get any stock.

in B&H (USA) said that they got 1 camera for B&H itself lol :-)

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 am

Well according to one retailer here in the UK (who shall remane nameless - no not CVP I deal with others here in UK too) BMD are famous for their lax release date ethic.. as in they NEVER meet deadlines. They say Canon are always on time, Sony are better than BMD but not as good as Canon, but BMD are near bottom for meeting their OWN release dates.

I didn't know this, but I am beginning to realise this now as I wait for two of their products to ship 3 months after originally intended.

I am NOT anti BMD before someone implies that... I love their products at reasonable prices! I own the following BMD devices: -

Smartview Duo
SmartviewHD
ATEM 1 M/E
BMD Sync Gen
BMD SDI distribution
BMD HDMI to SDI converter
Hyperdeck Studio Pro (paid for but not released 3 months later).
BMCC (again still waiting like the rest of you)

So I would say I have been a good customer of theirs. However, I think people's excuses for BMD are irrelevant. Saying that they aren't going to be as good and as on time as bigger companies that sell their products for more money is a silly excuse. If they sell a product they have a right to treat the customer fairly no matter the price. FULL STOP. They shouldn't release dates they cannot meet. Just as RED shouldn't etc.

Anyways, just letting off steam! To the limited few who HAVE their camera, I hope you are enjoying it! :)

Andrew Usher

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 am

In this day and age, i don't think its unreasonable for customers to ask for realistic shipping. I am sure most of us would be happy with a realistic date and deadline.

Roland Öller

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 am

I recently bought a 512 GB Samsung SSD.

Should I install it as a system drive in my Mac Pro or should I wait for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera?
I bought it for the camera but I don´t want it lying around uselessly. But installing and uninstalling it is a hassle so what should I do?
Are we going to wait for weeks or months?

Margus Voll

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 am

i'm not sure samsung would work good in camera.

look for separate ssd thread.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Roland Öller

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am

It is among the recommended SSDs for capturing RAW CinemaDNG, so it should be fine.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... snid=23763

Margus Voll

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 am

my mistake then.

i had the impression that it has changed in time by reading the thread.

may be good to go over that ssh thread still.
Margus Voll, CSI

bhook

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Roland Öller wrote:Are we going to wait for weeks or months?

Hopefully BMD will give us an update (even if it is "more of the same") today (a weekly schedule) but if their last update a week ago is accurate, they are holding with the "few weeks" statement. Of course, that statement (can we call it a commitment?) was made a "few weeks" ago.

Please...another update.

brilliantimage

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm

I believe that BMD are working on too many products than they can handle. Some would call it hardworking, while others can call it greedy! Yes they claim that some products are cheaper but if you sell many products cheaper, you may sell masses thefore better than selling few at higher price.

Does it really make sence to release a second model of the same camera before you have even shippied the original version? It would be smart to have the original camera out first so people can work with it in masses giving you feedback. That way the second model can be improved. Well, I guess this is where it makes me think that they are just greedy. Like most of you, I have been waiting for this camera for a long time and I'm thinking that it would be better to get a refund, try a Sony product. After all there is always a new product every year! So blackmagic, you have lost one more customer.

It was great meeting you.
Adios amigo.
Julius Barnabas

Margus Voll

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm

mft camera is not new in any sense to me as it is a physical part of metal just in front of the same camera.

i have been on microscopic level of electronic production and boy is it hard
specially when you have hundreds of details and you have to organize logistics
and availability for them.

on production to masses it has to be multiplied by a million.
Margus Voll, CSI

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Roland Öller wrote:It is among the recommended SSDs for capturing RAW CinemaDNG, so it should be fine.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... snid=23763

I'm sorry Roland, but that BMCC FAQ is no longer accurate as has been described in another thread. You need to go by the list of SSDs in the BMCC Manual. The Samsung and other drives have been removed from the list. That's not to say you wasted your money on the drive though as it is an excellent drive and should be fine as your boot drive.
Rick Lang

Roland Öller

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Damn. :(

Okay, thanks Rick. As you said: At least I can use it as a boot drive.

Just downloaded the manual. No Samsung drive in there. Maybe I will still test it when the camera eventually arrives. It´s probably still okay for ProRes recording. But I´ll have to get one of these for RAW:

Crucial 256GB C300
Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009)
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100
Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200
Kingston HyperX 240GB
Sandisk Extreme 480GB.

MikeC

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Ok, so it's been a few weeks..... so? ;)

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah, it's been yet another "a few weeks". What's going on? Will anything at all be shipped this month? Will anything ship in October? Does this camera exist?
www.whoatemyteeth.com

bhook

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Yea!!!! Folks in Texas want to know!!!! Don't make us form a posse, hop an American Airlines flight and come over there...

:D

Craig

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Folks in England are also wondering/worrying.

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Since BMD doesn't care enough to update, I'll have to assume that they still don't have the parts they need, which means, at the very best, we're a couple more months away from anything shipping.

Previously my person "worst case scenario" was that no units are shipping this year, but the way things have been unfolding, I'm now very seriously considering that the camera advertised will never be mass produced, that it died at the working concept phase.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

bhook

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 pm

RichDorato wrote:Previously my person "worst case scenario" was that no units are shipping this year, but the way things have been unfolding, I'm now very seriously considering that the camera advertised will never be mass produced, that it died at the working concept phase.

They sure burned a bunch of money on a nice box if it never hits the streets. I mean the unboxing videos are very good looking. I just have a hard time understanding the logic of "don't call us, we'll call you". Surely somebody at BMD is empathetic enough with customers to realize how insulting that strategy is to everyone who has pre-paid and/or pre-ordered the BMC. Say something on a weekly basis for Heaven's sake. Help us w8 this out. Give us a reason to believe.

Margus Voll

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm

it seems a bit harsh ?
Margus Voll, CSI

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Roland Öller wrote:Damn. :(

Okay, thanks Rick. As you said: At least I can use it as a boot drive.

Just downloaded the manual. No Samsung drive in there. Maybe I will still test it when the camera eventually arrives. It´s probably still okay for ProRes recording. But I´ll have to get one of these for RAW:

Crucial 256GB C300
Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009)
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100
Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200
Kingston HyperX 240GB
Sandisk Extreme 480GB.

If I was buying today, I'd get the Sandisk Extreme 480GB. But unless you have a large box from Australia waiting for you at your front door, there's no rush as other drives may also be blessed by BMCC such as the Plextor M5 Pro.
Rick Lang

Jason Davis

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 pm

I would wait until the actual unit comes out to get the drive. Chances are it will change to add more, and possibly take away some, plus if you get stuck with a drive now and the camera doesn't ship for another few weeks or months, chances are you'll end up using it as a data drive and have to get yet another when the cam ships. Besides waiting for the camera to ship is just gives time for the prices on the SSDs fall. $0.02

RichDorato

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Any update BMD? Any update at all??
www.whoatemyteeth.com

Rob Burgos

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I think we really should be hearing something today.
Rob Burgos
colorist/editor/producer
full circle post nyc

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:20 am

Rob Burgos wrote:I think we really should be hearing something today.

You'd think, wouldn't you...

Bill Rich

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:33 am

I talked to B&H today.. they have no updates for shipping from BMD, so as eager as I am to have the camera.. Beotching on a forum isn't going to make the camera ship any faster.. I have a shoot Monday that I really would have loved to use the BMCC on.. but it is what it is.. I'll use my 60D or XF100 (and GoPro)
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

RichDorato

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:34 am

Welcome to BlackMagic, where the customer is always wrong.
www.whoatemyteeth.com

RichDorato

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 am

I believe an update from BMD would be much more valuable than second or third hand information from a reseller.
www.whoatemyteeth.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography