Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

new MacBook Pro 16" for Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

rsf123

new MacBook Pro 16" for Fusion

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 am

Any thoughts on how suitable the new MacBook Pro 16" is for Fusion?

I'm thinking of the 2.4GHz 8-core i9 processor, 32GB RAM. (the 64GB would be too expensive). AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/

avclubvids

Re: new MacBook Pro 16" for Fusion

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 am

I'll let you know how it works in a week when mine arrives :)

My 2017 w/16GB RAM and the Radeon Pro 560 4 GB has been pretty capable with Resolve, so I anticipate the 16" working out pretty well. I jumped up to 64GB RAM and the 8GB GPU so it should be noticeably better.

Honestly, if the keyboard works I'll take it as a major improvement.

rsf123

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks. I look forward to your comments.

Several youtube reviews say the 16" MBP is good for Resolve, but I am particularly needing to know how it performs with Fusion.

filmmakeranto

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:18 pm

avclubvids wrote:I'll let you know how it works in a week when mine arrives :)

My 2017 w/16GB RAM and the Radeon Pro 560 4 GB has been pretty capable with Resolve, so I anticipate the 16" working out pretty well. I jumped up to 64GB RAM and the 8GB GPU so it should be noticeably better.

Honestly, if the keyboard works I'll take it as a major improvement.

Hey avclubvids, Any update on that MBP 16"?
Even I'm thinking of moving from windows to Mac from my Gaming PC/Workstation. Just wanna hear your thoughts on it. I'm tired of the Adobe and wanna move entirely to fusion to my motion graphic work as well so your update will be quite valuable.
Please note I'm not looking for the render times but smooth playback, while editing with NR, Titles, Effects and grading applied without frame drops My i7 6800k with 32GB ram and 6GB 1060, is not holding up well even with optimized media and I simply love spamming the JKL keys. A responsive editing workflow is life's greatest pleasures and that's what I'm looking at moving to the Apple eco-system.

So any input you provide will offer a life-changing experience for a fellow filmmkaer and editor.

avclubvids

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 5:40 am

So I have not hammered on it enough to give an objective review of performance, but I can say that I have not noticed it slow down at anything so far. Playback in Edit, effects in Fusion, responsiveness in Color, and rendering in Deliver are all smooth and snappy. Everything seems to work better than the 2017 MBP and I have not "felt" it get hung up on anything yet. I'm sure I will hit the ceiling soon with some of the resolutions I'm pushing through, but so far I'd say it is a solid upgrade from previous MBP's. I cannot say that it is better than a top of the line workstation with multiple GPUs, but for a laptop it's very solid with Resolve/Fusion.

fullmetalfilm

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 am

Also waiting for mine. Been using Fusion on a 15 inch 2017 model with 16GB of RAM and it's not snappy but works fine. I sprung for maxxed out specs on the 16 inch model, so 64 GB of memory. Will report back.

avclubvids

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 4:58 pm

I finally ran some large resolution footage through Resolve and Fusion on the MBP16 and overall I give it very high marks. It was able to handle some footage that choked well-spec'd PC desktops, and definitely would have killed my 2017 MBP15.

I am experiencing some GPU issues working on an AMD with 8GB on OpenCL and Metal instead of NVIDIA with 12 or 16GB VRAM running Cuda or OpenCL. Nothing that can't be solved by turning the GPU off on affected nodes... I'm reporting those issues now, hopefully, it is something BMD can solve and not an indication of something more long term and worrisome.

fullmetalfilm

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks for the update. Mind posting links to those issues here if you can? I'm getting my MBP on Monday and I'd love to keep an eye out for the same thing. Thanks.

Hollycene

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Hello guys!

I would like to ask you, how your MacbookPros 16, can handle 4k footage on your DavinciResolveStudio?
Can your macs play 4k footage smoothly?

I recently bought new MacbookPro 16 and was testing the new machine with 4k footage.
Honestly I am quiet disappointed. I’ll explain it in following example.

When I have 10 seconds long sequence filled with few 4K clips and each clip is like 1 or 2 seconds long, it's literally impossible to play the sequence smoothly in real time. Playback is really choppy even in quarter resolution proxy mode.
Although when I try to play only one 4K clip 10 seconds long, It plays really smoothly without any problems.

Do you guys have similar playback experience or Am I missing something?

Thank you for your response! :)

Clips I am working with: GH5 4k, 8bit, 59.94fps clips.

specs:
2,3 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
64 GB memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
2TB SSD

Blazso

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Do to my work I have used Resolve on the following machines: Brand new, fully loaded 2020 macbook pro, Fully loaded 2019 iMac, and various PC desktops including a 1080gtx-i7-32gb and a 2080gtx-i9-128gb.

My best experience with Resolve for editing, VFX, and color is always on desktops!! The macbook pro is the worse and only a suitable option for when you have to work on set to create "live" pre-vis (even compared to the older 1080-i7 PC I still use the mac book sucks). The iMac falls in the middle, it usually starts strong and then heat throttles down to like a macbook level of working after a couple hours.

For my money, the best option is a custom built PC, the dollar to power ratio is through the roof when compared to Macs and this june/july its only going to get better when Nvidia releases the 3080 GPU's (Cheaper, faster, runs cooler).

Oh also to consider; Resolve and RED are both working directly with Nvidia to maximize GPU performance for their respected softwares, this is something MAC just cant offer atm since they refuse to do business with Nvidia.

Return to Fusion