When is Fusion worth the effort on simpler projects?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Absref70

When is Fusion worth the effort on simpler projects?

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi,

I've really been battling to find any clear information on when to make the move from using vectors in layers in the Edit tab over to Fusion.

For the graphics I generally do 5 or 6 layers of individual vectors or pieces/lines with a few keyframe points to animate.
What I'm unsure of is when this method become less efficient than moving across to Fusion and doing it in there?

The kind of animation we're talking is the likes of the PNG attached (it's a beam bending), my initial though was to draw it out using the vector pieces and modifying to suit.

Are these sort of graphics best left in the editing tab, or would Fusion be comparable in terms of time to complete (once a bit more familiar with it)?

Thanks
Adam
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (287.82 KiB) Viewed 413 times

Derek Howard

Re: When is Fusion worth the effort on simpler projects?

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Short answer: move to Fusion when you are comfortable but it will probably be better in the long run.

Longer answer: Like many things in the post production world, there are many different ways to go about doing the same thing, each with their own Pros and Cons. Basically, how comfortable are you with the methods you are using, how well are they serving your needs, and is there a benefit to moving to a new workflow? There is always the trade off of the benefit of changing versus the trouble and time it takes to move to a new workflow.

Personally, I've done enough motion graphics work and am comfortable enough with Fusion that I do almost every effect with it outside of simple titles, but it took a while for me to get to that point.

More directly to your question though, I would recommend moving to Fusion if you are going to keep making a lot of things like this. It will give you a lot more flexibility and you will probably save time in the long run.

Absref70

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks Derek, very good point!

Thompsonrh

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 pm

No an expert, but i can see that once u move to 3D animation, Fusion offers lots of options. When I see the whirling news intros on TV the logo spinning around with 3D light rays and reflections, etc I now say “I could do that in Fusion”
Commercial photographer/videographer,
BM, Nikon, DJI user
Drone operator (advanced pilot certificate, Canada)
iMac retina 5k, 4.2GHz intel core i7, Radeon Pro 580, 24 GB memory.
Internal storage 3TB Fusion. Video storage LaCie 2T SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve