Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Shadows & Depth of field Limitations - Please confirm

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

SEN1969

Shadows & Depth of field Limitations - Please confirm

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello,

Is this accurate?
You cannot create /render soft shadows and shallow depth of field in the same project?

This because...

1. If rendering using openCL then, sorry no soft shadows.
2. if rendering using software renderer, sorry no shallow depth of field.

Please offer any workarounds if possible. I see some on line but they are very complex and time consuming.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by SEN1969 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saad Shah

Re: Shadows & Depth of field Limitations - PLEASE CONFIRM

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Bye!
Dont let the door smack you on your way out ;)

1. I dont have the same issue. Fusion has decent soft shadows as well as depth of field.
2. If you are an artist, who gives two sh*ts about what tools you use to do your work and feed your family. It was never about one software or the other. People use multiple tools to achieve their vision. Ever see the name of software on the bottom of a film or commercial?
3. Dont use caps. I can hear you just fine. I can read just fine. Dont act like a child. It only makes everyone else take you even less seriously.
4. Try to learn to use a tool to allow you to achieve what you imagine. The tools have limitations. Great artists find solutions. Its called problem solving. Most VFX artists learn this within the first year of their study.

Have a great day.
Sadi
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

Bryan Ray

Re: Shadows & Depth of field Limitations - Please confirm

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 12:57 am

It's true that you can't have both qualities in the same Renderer3D, but that doesn't mean you can't have both coming from the same scene. Just like with traditional 3d rendering, Fusion makes it possible to render in layers, so you can output your shadows as a separate pass from the rest of your geo. Or you can use a Z pass and the Variblur tool to perform a post-render depth of field, which will probably be faster than doing it in-camera, anyway.

Fusion's long overdue for a retooling of the rendering engine, at the very least. I imagine that it's high on the priority list, as it's a very frequently requested feature.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

SEN1969

Re: Shadows & Depth of field Limitations - PLEASE CONFIRM

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 1:20 am

“1. I dont have the same issue. Fusion has decent soft shadows as well as depth of field.”

FANTASTIC!! Whoops sorry... fantastic.

Glas to have gotten your attention. This is precisely what I wanted to hear. There’s a solution.
Please educate me! I’m having a horrible time trying to figure this out.
If you wouldn’t mind taking the time I would really appreciate it.
So far I have loved everything about FUSION but this really threw me into a dramatic episode.

What say you Saad? Help a guy out!

SEN1969

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 11:13 am

Bryan Ray wrote:It's true that you can't have both qualities in the same Renderer3D, but that doesn't mean you can't have both coming from the same scene. Just like with traditional 3d rendering, Fusion makes it possible to render in layers, so you can output your shadows as a separate pass from the rest of your geo. Or you can use a Z pass and the Variblur tool to perform a post-render depth of field, which will probably be faster than doing it in-camera, anyway.

Fusion's long overdue for a retooling of the rendering engine, at the very least. I imagine that it's high on the priority list, as it's a very frequently requested feature.

Thanks Bryan for your cordial and reasonable response to my frustration and reading me correctly.

By “rendering in layers” do you mean what is shown in this video? Or is there a much less complex approach? Thanks again.

https://lesterbanks.com/2019/09/how-to- ... d-resolve/

Chad Capeland

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 am

One combination you can't deal with is opacity mapped shadows and depth of field if you see the cast shadows through the object casting them.

One curious thing, however, is that there isn't, afaik, any reason the SW renderer can't do multisampled DoF. You could override the projection matrix and render to an accumulation buffer just as you do in the OGL renderer. It would be slower, but who cares?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bryan Ray

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 3:39 pm

SEN1969 wrote:

By “rendering in layers” do you mean what is shown in this video?

I don't care to watch a 13 minute video to find out for sure, but a quick look at his Flow in a couple of places suggests 'yes', that's what I mean.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion