eGPU Pro with Thunderbolt 2 on iMac?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

CeeBee

eGPU Pro with Thunderbolt 2 on iMac?

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 2:35 am

Hello all,

I have been utilising and eGPU Pro in my normal working environment with a recent iMac Pro (8-C) and it's been working really well.

I now have a need to work from home using the same unit. I'm trying to couple it with a Late-2015 iMac i5 running OS 10.14.6 over Thunderbolt 2 with an Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter and finding that the unit processor icon shows up in the menu bar for a few seconds and then vanishes. I've swapped out the TB 2 cables, adapters and generally tried to fault-find as much as possible but I've drawn a blank and still the same results.

Am I missing something - are the Pro units able to function in this way, or only over TB 3?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice from anyone who may have experienced this as well!
Apple Afterburner
BMD eGPU Pro
OS 10.15.6
Resolve 16.2.7

Uli Plank

Re: eGPU Pro with Thunderbolt 2 on iMac?

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

You may find some information at egpu.io to get up and running, but I wouldn't expect much from it.
I tried an older Mac mini with it and while it worked it wasn't really helpful.
The new ones work pretty well with it (see my sig).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

CeeBee

Re: eGPU Pro with Thunderbolt 2 on iMac?

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi Uli,

Yes, I found egpu.io and tried the automate-egpu package without any success, so not sure whether it was simply my user-errors or just unsuited to my iMac. My unit behaved exactly the same way, even after the install, following the detailed instructions. It mounts for a few moments and I see it in the menu bar, then it vanishes and doesn't return. In the system profile it lists as operating on the Thunderbolt bus, along with a 5K LG screen that I've got hung off there as well, however it doesn't register in Resolve 16.2 in the GPUs I'm afraid. Called Blackmagic in Melbourne (New Magic) and they basically say there isn't the bandwidth on the TB2 bus to make the unit effective.

So, I'll need to return it from whence it came! Shame.

Cheers.
Apple Afterburner
BMD eGPU Pro
OS 10.15.6
Resolve 16.2.7

Return to Post Production