Compatible Zoom Lenses

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Christian Zorzi

Compatible Zoom Lenses

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 am

Customer thinks of buying both the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K and an ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K switcher. He is now in the market for zoom lenses which can be zoomed with LANC remote control and also wants to use the Zoom knob on the switcher.

The only list I found at BMD support is from 2018 and says that the following lenses will work:

- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. Lens
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom O.I.S. Lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Micro 4/3 Lens

So my questions are:

1. Are there any other lenses which can be zoomed the desired way?

2. Can anyone confirm that the Zoom knob on the switcher will do the job? (hopefully it's not limited to PTZ cameras).

Thank you for all answers in advance.

RichardJolly

Re: Compatible Zoom Lenses

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 pm

The Panasonic 14-42 and 45-175 definitely accept zoom and focus control from the ATEM control software. I've not used the hardware panel so cannot comment on that. I have found that they operate OK for slow conference work (I use them remotely on a BMD Micro Studio Camera on a cheap Hague P/T head), though there can be problems with finding focus again after zooming in or out on the 45-175. Sometimes you have to zoom in steps, adjusting focus each step; or you even have to go and press the lens release button to reset the lens, though I have also had this experience with other MFT lenses getting "stuck" out of focus on BMD cameras. Having said that, the lenses are excellent value and generally available second hand, and provide a really flexible setup with the Micro Studios for manned or unmanned operation.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

David_Anderson

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 pm

I see so many people on this forum as of late swinging for the fences. They want all the control back in one operators hands. I tend to stay away from remotely controlled cameras for most live productions unless I have a dedicated person for them.

That being said, I agree with Richard that those lenses will work however I have seen and experienced where you can lose focus when zooming and you end up having to go do it manually. The only real option is to go with a high dollar parafocal lens which will get you the results you are looking for without having to manually focus after zooming. The downside is they tend to get very pricey.

I'd recommend more fixed cameras and if you need to follow a subject then 1 manned camera.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Christian Zorzi

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 am

Thanks for the first answers.

@David: due to Corona teams have to be very small in size here in my region. Being able to control everything from the switcher is basically a necessity thes days.

@All: any other lenses on the market apart from the mentioned ones where zoom can be controlled from the switcher?

David_Anderson

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 2:24 pm

As others have suggested, BM isn't necessarily the best solution for remotely controlling zoom and focus. Will it work, yes but as no one has chimed in there are not many cost effective options for remote control of zoom and focus. The aforementioned lenses will work although if you looked into B4 mount you will have more options.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Christian Zorzi

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 3:56 pm

David, can you please clarify the workflow with B4 lenses?

So first I would need an adapter like the Fotodiox Pro B4 Magic Adapter. But this is strictly mechanical so how would I control the zoom from the switcher?

David_Anderson

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 4:43 pm

The breakout cable has a B4 link on it. When you hook it to a B4 lens it should be able to be controlled by the switcher.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

EverythingCreative

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:11 am

Currently using both Panasonic lenses with BM 4K cameras. The hardware controls work great on the ATEM.

jsantibanez

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am

EverythingCreative wrote:Currently using both Panasonic lenses with BM 4K cameras. The hardware controls work great on the ATEM.

Hey friend,

Which Panasonic Lense work with the ATEM mini pro and BMPCC4K?

TapeDub

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:35 am

EverythingCreative wrote:Currently using both Panasonic lenses with BM 4K cameras. The hardware controls work great on the ATEM.
Looking for confirmation/experiences of ATEM Advanced Panel remote control of Panasonic LUMIX G X Vario 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Lens + Blackmagic MICRO STUDIO CAMERA 4K + Rushworks PTX Model 1L PTZ Head

Or would I need the Rushworks Ctrl+R as the dedicated controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production