Virtual NAB 2020

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Virtual NAB 2020

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 pm

A place to post items that are being introduced by vendors and product reviewers via the internet given that the vendors won’t be showing their wares at the convention as in years past.

I expect we shall see many products over the next three or four weeks handled in a similar way. Feel free to create additional threads such as for BMD announcements to discuss the products at length if you wish. This thread is intended to be a collection of the introductions of those new items.

First up, the live presentation of the Crane 3S which looks very interesting for BMD shooters taking a heavier payload.

Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

Re: Virtual NAB 2020

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 pm

The Crane 3s looks like the gimbal I have been waiting for all the time.
What I haven't found out yet, is if it can control the PCC4K/PCC6K over USB-C or not.
The compatibility list does not list those cameras for that.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

Virtual NAB 2020

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am

Agree, Robert; this one looks like a complete solution for the new Pocket cameras. This hopefully won’t require compromises and difficulties balancing and operating.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

Virtual NAB 2020

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 am

That reveal is going to be 8 am in the EDT and 5 am PDT I think. Noon in London? Don’t hang me if I get that timing wrong as I don’t get out much anymore!

Have an URSA Mini? No problemo:

https://www.cinema5d.com/zhiyun-crane-3 ... a-cameras/
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 am

Contact Adobe now. I just got 3 months free to help during the Covid 19 pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Good of on you Rick.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Ellory Yu

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 pm

I just watch the debut of the Crane 3S. This is the gimbal I'm waiting for. It will easily carry the BMD P4/6K and the UMP G2. Price is very reasonable too - starting at $650USD to the complete pro system at $1150. Take my money.

Crane3s.PNG
Crane3s.PNG (466.71 KiB) Viewed 8236 times

The only thing is this will be a heavy to carry gimbal, especially with a UMP. So an arm, a dual handle, and/or a easyrig will probably be necessary.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Phil999

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:The Crane 3s looks like the gimbal I have been waiting for all the time.
What I haven't found out yet, is if it can control the PCC4K/PCC6K over USB-C or not.
The compatibility list does not list those cameras for that.

I guess it is not compatible, and won't be in the future.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 6:25 pm

An Update on the 2020 NAB Show 20 March, 2020

https://nabshow.com/2020/attend/onsite- ... resources/

"That’s why we are excited to announce NAB Show Express, targeted to launch in April 2020. This digital experience will provide a conduit for our exhibitors to share product information, announcements and demos, as well as deliver educational content from the original selection of programming slated for the live show in Las Vegas, and create opportunities for the community to interact virtually—all of which adds up to something that brings the NAB Show community together in a new way."

Scroll down on website for FAQ's
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 pm

:)
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

robedge

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 8:18 pm

Eizo has been announcing monitors that it intended to release at NAB, including the new CS2740:

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cs2740/

https://www.provideocoalition.com/eizo- ... th-4k-uhd/

No pricing yet, but it replaces the CS2730.
Video Cameras: iPhone & Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps & DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Computer: Mac Studio, Eizo monitor

Brad Hurley

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:04 pm

For those of you who do postproduction as well as cinematography, it's worth noting that Acon Digital just released a major new update of its excellent Acoustica audio editor; the Premium edition has many of the features of Izotope RX Advanced at a fraction of the price. I have both (RX7 Advanced and Acoustica Premium Edition) and mostly prefer the interface of Acoustica, although RX does a better job at some things and has some tools that Acoustica doesn't. The new version adds a dialogue isolate tool and a remix tool, similar to those in RX 7, on top of its existing tool set. See https://acondigital.com/products/acoust ... io-editor/ for details.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

robedge

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 1:49 am

Ellory Yu wrote:The only thing is this will be a heavy to carry gimbal, especially with a UMP. So an arm, a dual handle, and/or a easyrig will probably be necessary.

Just want to mention that there may be some question about whether an EasyRig solves the problem. I know that there are discussions online about using an EasyRig with a gimbal, but watch what this guy, from Lens Pro to Go, says at 02:34:

Uli Plank

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 1:59 am

You would have to add the FlowCine Serene to dampen those vertical movements:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... g_arm.html

The whole combination will not be cheap, though.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

robedge

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 am

Uli Plank wrote:You would have to add the FlowCine Serene to dampen those vertical movements:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... g_arm.html

The whole combination will not be cheap, though.

Or you could plan your shots and hire someone who has the right tool and knows how to use it :)

I have a lot of regard for YouTube, but I’m not sure that its role in the proliferation of gimbals is one of its finer accomplishments.

This Crane 3S thing just might help get us to peak gimbal. Hey, one can hope.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am

Rick, maybe you should post your post about waiting for an email about upcoming announcementsfrom Grant here, so people here know to keep coming.

Frankly. I would announce as soon as I could figure out what to do after the show closure, if it was me.

I hope we will at least see a good micro with up to 8k. With my health I want something really light.

But, there needs to be something smaller for the drone and action/pov market again. I was thinking of looking into doing such a thing. There also needs to be a thin camera, thinner than the original pocket, and closer to the micro in size, but with a display. So maybe a bit of a rectangle still. But, you can do an action cam like this, which could attach to a video assist for better onscreen control. Using an ambarella chipset, or other, they could make these with Braw recording, and h264/h265 while waiting fur ProRes approval. Ambarella has supplied pro chipsets and technology to big brands fir a long time.

Now, for the action cam. Mobile website are going to 1 inch, but at the moment Sony has one a bit smaller that bins pixels to nearly 3 microns for 16mp and is over 60mp, and the images are ok, like the pocket 4k. It also has the ability to use the 4 binned pixels for very good multiple axis phase section. Really nice for a basic cinema action cam. There is going be 9 pixel binning in the industry, which is exciting for computational imaging. On the other side, Samsung has nicer sensors when ch have more a subdued 4.6k micro look. They have a 1 inch 150mp I think coming. So, both sensors could take good stills and be good for 180 degree. They also are cheap, with 48mp Sony's popping up on cheap me d range phones. With Sony, they may have processing related circuites behind the sensor, making it possible to do very small compact and cheaper stuff. I was interested in using this to help with compression, to make a very compact unit with reasonably low end performance.

rick.lang

Virtual NAB 2020

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 3:51 am

Expectations, anticipation, expiation, elation.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 am

rick.lang wrote:Expectations, anticipation, expiation, elation.

The question is whether anyone is going to have money to buy stuff :)

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:59 am

A year like no other that requires a new perspective with time for reflection and time to plan for the future. Certainly we must provide for ourselves, our families, our communities, and those who are in need. And hopefully provide for the future. It’s urgent. No time to despair or hide. Walking is just falling forward, isn’t it? We all feel like we’re falling now, but let’s fall forward and leave these times behind as many other civilizations have done before us. “Don’t give up.”
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 6:31 am

Laurie Anderson fan? About falling forward…

Right you are, we should reconsider our priorities. Maybe 8K is not as important as helping our fellow people.
And, after all, this is not the Black Plague, which killed two thirds of the population in the dark ages.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Wayne Steven

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am

Rodney Dangerfield could say "What! Fall forwards, and flat on your face!" and chuckle with that laugh of his. :)

robedge

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm

I would think that the major manufacturers regard B&H's and Adorama's YouTube channels as important vehicles for getting the word out. Both retailers continue to operate online and to post videos. The New Jersey "stay at home" order specifically exempts online retailers, so does not affect B&H's and Adorama's New Jersey warehouses. Only the Manhattan retail stores are closed, and B&H customers can still pick up orders at its store.

Looks like both YouTube channels are operating normally.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Laurie Anderson fan? About falling forward...

Good stuff!
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm

It really looks like “virtual” is going to be the reality for quite some time. Interesting video by a Canadian travel vlogger on trying to fly from Bali > Dubai > Switzerland > Canada last week, with his non-Canadian girlfriend getting through just hours before Canada closed its borders to non-residents:

The Wall Street Journal says that airfares have plummeted, but cautions people on buying tickets, even well in advance, for international travel:

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Agree with the closures in the attempt to limit suffering and debilitation or deaths.

But so stressful for many due to the heavy onslaught of bad news, the inability to be with friends and family, the frustration watching some young people ignore all the guidelines because they’re not going to die (but their grandma might).

My wife has told me not to watch all the news now. She’s concerned that the stress can bring on other serious consequences even though I’m not infected with a virus. Sometimes one needs to dial back on the emotional component of a natural empathy for others and make sure one can keep it in perspective and relax to some degree.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I agree Rick, isolate your self from the news too, especially before bed time. I am doing the same, just catch the occasional local news to see what is happening in the Mendo coast area. National news from networks is overblown, and not always accurate anyway, but feeding the fires of fear and panic. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

rick.lang wrote:My wife has told me not to watch all the news now. She’s concerned that the stress can bring on other serious consequences even though I’m not infected with a virus. Sometimes one needs to dial back on the emotional component of a natural empathy for others and make sure one can keep it in perspective and relax to some degree.

I hear you, and good luck weathering this storm. I have been working from home for 28 years now so nothing much has changed for me, although I have a bit less work than usual. But many of my colleagues and clients are under a lot of stress as they try to juggle working from home amid the distractions of kids, pets, spouse, etc.

I've been enjoying the outpourings of encouragement and support that have popped up spontaneously around the world: I saw that in Vancouver people who live in high-rises near hospitals have been shouting messages of support to hospital staff from their windows, and here in Québec children and their parents have been drawing rainbows on sidewalks or drawing them on paper and putting them up in windows for passersby to see, with the tagline "ça va bien aller" (everything will be okay).

I think the NAB announcements will come at a time of economic hardship for many, which will likely dampen the purchasing but hopefully not the enthusiasm.

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm

rick.lang wrote:But so stressful for many due to the heavy onslaught of bad news, the inability to be with friends and family, the frustration watching some young people ignore all the guidelines because they’re not going to die (but their grandma might).

My wife has told me not to watch all the news now. She’s concerned that the stress can bring on other serious consequences even though I’m not infected with a virus. Sometimes one needs to dial back on the emotional component of a natural empathy for others and make sure one can keep it in perspective and relax to some degree.

On the upside, Canada is doing really well so far. Don’t know whether you’ve seen it, but the Government has a web site with detailed data that is updated a couple of times a day: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ction.html

As of 11:00 EDT this morning, there are 1,959 cases, 833 probable and 27 deaths. On a per capita basis, that is way lower than the U.S. (multiply by 9 to get a per capita comparison), even though most Canadians live within 50 miles of the border.

Governor Cuomo said this morning that we’ve now got 17,856 confirmed cases in New York City, and that doesn’t include Suffolk and Nassau counties just outside the city limits. There are 285 deaths in New York State, most of them here. I’m seriously thinking of driving to Nova Scotia (51 cases) or NL (4 cases). I’d have to self-isolate for 14 days, but I’m beginning to think that it might be worth it.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Over a million Canadians came home in the last week after Trudeau’s exhortation to “come home” last week! Not all have the opportunity though due to difficulties scheduling flights. Even so some have given up their flights so others can return! Sometimes adversity brings out the best in people.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:Over a million Canadians came home in the last week after Trudeau’s exhortation to “come home” last week! Not all have the opportunity though due to difficulties scheduling flights. Even so some have given up their flights so others can return! Sometimes adversity brings out the best in people.

The video six posts up starts with Trudeau’s statement. If I’m prepared to take the risk of flying, I could be sitting in my living room overlooking a salmon river in about seven hours; otherwise a three day drive, but that requires seven hours on a ferry that may be as risky as a plane. I also have the option of staying on Cape Breton Island, which would avoid the ferry.

Right now, I’d rather be in Canada than New York. The health care situation here is not good, and it’s deteriorating. The hospital nearest my home is already running at 125% capacity, and there are lineups to get into the emergency ward.
Last edited by robedge on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 pm

robedge wrote:I’m seriously thinking of driving to Nova Scotia (51 cases) or NL (4 cases). I’d have to self-isolate for 14 days, but I’m beginning to think that it might be worth it.

The border is closed in both directions, though; I don't think driving up will be an option.

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
robedge wrote:I’m seriously thinking of driving to Nova Scotia (51 cases) or NL (4 cases). I’d have to self-isolate for 14 days, but I’m beginning to think that it might be worth it.

The border is closed in both directions, though; I don't think driving up will be an option.

It’s not closed to citizens and permanent residents.
Last edited by robedge on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 6:56 pm

robedge wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:

It’s not closed to citizens.

Yes it is. It's closed to all nonessential travel. I suppose you could lie and say you had been traveling and need to get back home. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... 9-eng.html

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Yes it is. It's closed to all nonessential travel. I suppose you could lie and say you had been traveling and need to get back home. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... 9-eng.html

You are misreading that. The Canada/U.S. agreement is about Canadians and Americans crossing into one-another’s country. It is not intended to prevent Canadian citizens and permanent residents from returning to Canada. Read this sentence: ““Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature.” That sums up what the agreement is about. I don’t think that it’s even legally possible to prevent Canadians from entering Canada, short of stripping them of their citizenship.

What’s actually happening is that the Canadian Government is working on getting Canadians who are stranded elsewhere back home. It’s certainly not going to deny entry to a Canadian just because he or she happens to be coming from the U.S.

In my case, the issue would be reentering the U.S., but because I’m involved in a business here I don’t think that it’s a problem, and in any event the current agreement expires in 25 days.

As a practical matter, the real question for me is whether I can afford to be away from New York for a few weeks.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 pm

The situation is escalating here, so I think it might be Buckley's of getting new camera availability now from BM. People that are loosing money in the industry, so won't want to spend too much, and the gloom report makes a company concerned.

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:05 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:... I think it might be Buckley's of getting new camera availability now from BM.

Just learned a new Australian expression :)

robedge

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:39 pm

I probably sound a bit unnerved about being in New York in a couple of the above posts. The New York Times has just published an article and video that help explain why. The piece is about the nearby hospital that I mention seven posts up. This is a very mixed area of the city. It’s true, as the article says, that the hospital serves a lot of lower income people, but that isn’t the whole story, not that income has anything to do with the situation that’s developing.

This is not sensationalized journalism. Yesterday, I saw the outdoor tents and the lineups at Emergency with my own eyes. What I didn’t know is that people can stand in line outdoors, waiting to be seen, for over eight hours, and that 13 people died yesterday. Nor did I know that my borough has the highest rate of cases in the city.

The lead writer was part of a team that won a Pulitzer Prize last year. My understanding is that the NY Times is not placing coronavirus stories behind its paywall:

13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyre ... ticleShare

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 3:34 am

I visited Cape Breton many years ago. Lovely. Sounds like a good option you have to avoid a potentially crowded ferry.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 4:09 am

robedge wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:

The Canada/U.S. agreement is about Canadians and Americans crossing into one-another’s country. It is not intended to prevent Canadian citizens and permanent residents from returning to Canada.

Hi Brad, coincidentally CBC News ran a story tonight that should remove any doubts you have about the right of Canadians in the U.S. to return to Canada. The story is about retired Canadians (aka Snowbirds for non-Canadian readers) returning from the U.S. The focus is that some of them are ignoring the obligation to self-isolate for 14 days after entering Canada. It’s apparently a minority, but it’s still troubling.

robedge

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 4:26 am

rick.lang wrote:I visited Cape Breton many years ago. Lovely. Sounds like a good option you have to avoid a potentially crowded ferry.

I love Cape Breton (as did Robert Frank, whose summer home was on Cape Breton), and it’s where the ferry leaves from. I could suss out the situation with the ferry before deciding on a sailing. It’s probably mostly trucks right now, and some sailings are lighter than others. Because the crossing is 6 to 7 hours, I get a cabin, so my partner and I could just go and hide :)

The alternative is to fly New York > Toronto > NL, where I also have a car. Less than a day’s travel, but requires two flights, the second one a good three hours in a cabin where some passengers/crew may or may not be contagious.

This is just not a good time for me to leave New York, but I may if the situation here continues to deteriorate.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 pm

I'm hoping to get something before they go into lock down, or supplies from overseas stop, but things are taking so long, I doubt things will come through.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 3:47 am

The suspense is growing, but I admit there are far more important issues occupying our thoughts than NAB this time. I hope next week we start seeing more of what would have been introduced at the convention, but it’s not a certainty given all restrictions and the public’s preoccupation with staying alive.

I hope everyone is coping and managing including the business world and that today doesn’t become the new normal. How we miss ‘normal’ in spite of all the things we managed to find to complain about. One good thing about this kind of crisis is that our appreciation and perspective will change whether it be of our world view or how we see ourselves and those close to us. We are all so very precious.
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm

I know that, but I have a more balanced view, we are all precious but we don't act like I to varying degrees. I see things as happening,. I continue to contact senior politicians suggesting a few solutions. They are already cottoning onto a few other things I'm writing to the paper about. I doubt that is being back channeled by party people, it simply doesn't work like that, generally people aren't smart enough in real life, and there is simply too many people involved in this to continually miss the obvious, as most solutions are. Actually the process people locked onto what ever they think they know, denying stuff, like many I've had to deal with, and the really smart people get ignored. We had an viral outbreak expert ask if the stratergy was herd immunity a few weeks ago, he could weigh it up. But big headed process people ALWAYS make a **** storm and accuse others of doing so, when somebody is deviating from the process, which is alright when the process is PERFECT, PERFECTLY MATCHING and in need of NO improvement, but often it is not. Conformity to failure is what will kill you rather than selling better. So, the smart people ,options were put back, such as the economic process people want to do in the US at the moment, and go back to normal to stop pain to certain people. The smart way was to have thorough contingency plans, training, emergency reserves of production capacity, equipment and people, then this could have been handled with a lot less Gus and death earlier. The Chinese and the Singaporean, and even Japan, have been onto this a lot more, and will be creating the obvious technological innovations I'm also suggesting, and sell it back to the west at trillions of dollars outfitting costs, when the Americans could easily find and patented this themselves, except for the Giant turkeys counteracting process people doing the bidding of their own smart financial people in zero sum games to maximise profit to certain people rather than the common good. It's hard to believe Germanic Lombardy is being hit this way too, but who knows who is living their now. If that's the case, how much longer will the people of that region:s industrirs be able to prop up Italy? The situation out there is complicated, it's happening, it's happening as could even be expected given the delayed reduced unplanned reaction, people are catching up, you can only do what you can do, and sit back and watch those in charge otherwise. It doesn't stress me too much, people are doing what they are doing, and reaping it unfortunately. People with Aspergers are known to get locked up in psych wards for trying to warn people to do the right thing, and get them to. During preselection when asked about what I would do if I didn't agree with others in the party, I said I would put forward what was right and discuss it etc, but if people didn't agree that was up to them (I actually said I wasn't a Rudd). Which wasn't the right thing to say, the right thing in that process was to put the best 'manly' face on 'I'll do whatever you say' type of comment and elaborate, not to look too much like a complete sux up. Thank goodness I wasn't going for NSW greens preselection, I cannot imagine what they would do to me there fur saying what I did. They don't even respect their own party founder that much, who basically kicked off green parties around the world, one of the fewer world wide things Tasmania has done. In a way it was good, in other ways not so good. That's another .... storm coming. But they have perpetual weakness, because the founder Bob Brown was a pragmatic impressively presented leader, and they find it hard to replace him, and the membership is probably not generally of that ilk, and I don't know how many of the small business inspired side of the democrats followed the otherside over. Anyway, enough about local politics
The situation is complicated by the actors and their belief systems, as you can see in politics. People whom are conservative left, the salt if the earth type people, are the sort of people who have responded strongly and we'll do far, as long as they listen to good advice. Non conservative right though, likes energy and convenience, and things flashy, their way, and that stuffs things up. Conservative right like things their way too, and meanly treat and milk the situation. The unconservative left though, like to complain, and aren't that good at doing things. But when all four sectors are centralists and work together, truely great things are possible. It's time to start understanding each other and working together to achieve something greater than each other.

Wayne Steven

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Stuff, one of the phones I wanted to look at sold out in seconds of going on sale.

It is supposed to be orientated towards a couple of things including camera, and had a very large vapour chamber cooling system. But don't know if these things are any good, as I haven't seen a proper review.

https://m.gsmarena.com/redmi_k30_pro_se ... -42278.php

https://m.gsmarena.com/redmi_k30_pro_wi ... -42092.php]

The cooling system is very important for continuous filming. The Samsung's will do 8k for five minutes. I don't know if it was because of cooling, but imagine it is.

So, here's to a Virtual NAB. Surely one of these phones will be useful.

timbutt2

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 3:49 am

Wayne Steven, will you please desist from the Full Frame & 8K long posts? Thank you.

Frankly, I don't care about either enough. I've written posts in defense of either subject in the past purely to satisfy those obsessed with it. But, in general, I don't care.

I am an ARRI fan, and when ARRI doesn't go for resolution I don't care about 8K. At the same time they went to LF for the 4K resolution sake of Netflix. Either way neither is important.

The movies I grew up loving were shot in Super 35mm. Even more so the movies I especially love from the past are Academy 35mm. Beyond that I defend Stereoscopic 3D because it is an artistic form that demands respect.

So now, you have forced me, to go into why Stereoscopic 3D demands more respect than LF or 8K...

We see the world stereoscopically. Alfred Hitchcock chose 3D over widescreen in 1953 when making Dial M for Murder (1954). Hitchcock is the reason I started to defend 3D. Are you a filmmaker of the same caliber as Hitchcock? Did Hitchcock shoot LF or 8K?

I don't give a f*** what a cell phone can do resolution wise. Cell phones don't hold a candle to the best cinema cameras. So stop comparing cinema cameras to the resolution of a stupid cell phone.

Honestly man, I skip past your posts. They are exhausting. I care more about dynamic range than resolution and frame size... In fact, when I do argue Frame Size it is for the maximum size I've seen for cinematic film which is IMAX 15-Perf film. So please stop until digital can come close to that.

This will be the last and only time I do this. I have been isolation enough during Covid-19 and have had enough alcohol to ask you to stop.Frankly I don't care. Story is more important.

That is all. End of line.

timbutt2

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 3:58 am

Now, I can write what I want from Blackmagic for NAB 2020:

1) Most important improvements to DaVinci Resolve. I'll cover this maybe in a post in the Resolve side of the Forums. For now I just want to see Resolve become the defacto editing software.

2) Cinema Cameras: Make all cameras equal firmware wise. This is most important to me. I want the frame guides in the Pockets in the UMP, and I want the 8X Zoom in the UMP. Make the cameras equal. This includes getting LUTs embedded in BRAW on the Pockets.

3) Ultimatte becoming more universal. I don't deal enough with it... but, it's something worth bringing to the masses.

4) Virtual Camera Technology. It's a huge new sector. Please Blackmagic make this something that we can all get into. I'd love for Game Engine Technology to be more integrated.

5) Better Metadata. This is because I've found a lapse that has already been pointed out. I don't care enough about LF or 8K. Make shooting to editing more seamless with better metadata for scene information and the editing software.

robedge

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 4:11 am

timbutt2 wrote:Wayne Steven, will you please desist from the Full Frame & 8K long posts? Thank you.

Frankly, I don't care about either enough....

I don't give a f*** what a cell phone can do resolution wise.

Honestly man, I skip past your posts. They are exhausting...

I have been isolation enough during Covid-19 and have had enough alcohol to ask you to stop.Frankly I don't care. Story is more important.

Believe it or not, a lot of people do care about cell phone resolution.

You know what’s exhausting (a lot of people, not only women, would instead use the word offensive), and short on story?

Beefcake videos of “models” that look like they were shot 50 years ago. At least Russ Meyer brought a sense of humour to the genre.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 5:30 am

timbutt2 wrote:Wayne Steven, will you please desist from the Full Frame & 8K long posts? Thank you.

L.

Let's just skip the rest of your post. Get real, or go away, nothing is making you read it. Now, the reason I stopped you is that while I normally tolerate rudeness, you accusing me of full frame, when I rarely get into full frame posts fir a long time. Now, selfish, 8k is part of the industry and a more valid part yltjsn objections, phones took. Shortly more phones will will be used in a commercial capacity than others cameras, and 8k will be delivering superior 4k and 2k down resolutioned video. So, I think that's rather a problem. And stop trying to make things a .... storm, be use it is really doing something like this s rather being cooperative or moving on. I don't go around torpedoeing everybody's correct posts, and rarely including trect ones, and I'm sure done people who do thishsve lots of those, so I suggest you might try to do the same, and don't go on about fullfrane when it's hardly mentioned by me, and maybe not even in this thread here. Thank you.

Now back to a virtual Nab 2020. Anybody got done interesting filming stuff they could post?

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 am

Ok, back from what so had to do.

So now, you have forced me, to go into why Stereoscopic 3D demands more respect than LF or 8K...

Are you a filmmaker of the same caliber as Hitchcock? Did Hitchcock shoot LF or 8K?

Some nice comments Tim, but this stuff quoted here doesn't make excessive sense, it's up your you if you preference 3D, 3D, small format (35mm), MF. 8k, HDR, wide colour, are all part time of the tapestry that makes up an image. They also, along with 8k+, how the hi depth and component or Bayer formats are also technical parts of production. You see me arguing against any of them? I see 2k as a valid part of production, less so HD and SD these days, but hey, I could film 160*100 as article at C expression.. The Altered Carbon Resleeved uses exactly the look envisionaged doing decades ago. Who should you listen to, some old filmmaker yhat thinks some new technology is fancy, which he never came up with, and uses it, or somebody who is always decades ahead and writing about it before it happens? There is only present be answer, and as much as I listen to other people, they often don't have much to say. But you look stem to hear and to pay via up truth, and wisdom. Even listening to the boring interests of others intently and long.

So, you are making a S... Storm out of nothing.

I don't give a f*** what a cell phone can do resolution wise. Cell phones don't hold a candle to the best cinema cameras. So stop comparing cinema cameras to the resolution of a stupid cell phone.

Who cares man, if you selfishly don't care about anything other than what you care about. But that itself goes down the bottom of the list. I've already have a Donald here to entertain. Your preferences will still be on record long after this stuff is preferred standard practice. 8k could consumer stuff shows how bent the sensor industry is in particular, and how camera makers aren't trying enough. BM Cameras shouldn't be out, there should be ASIC from big manufacturers, FPGA camera versions shouldn't be viable, that is how held back the industry is, and whubsone things should be suggested, even 12k phones produce pictures with an Arri look. It's reduculous qmd even incredulous. So, speaking bad negativity in favour of the existing against a morally better situation, versus discussing progressive moral truth about what can and should be to improve things, which do you think is right?

Honestly man, I skip past your posts. They are exhausting. I care more about dynamic range than resolution and frame size... In fact, when I do argue Frame Size it is for the maximum size I've seen for cinematic film which is IMAX 15-Perf film. So please stop until digital can come close to that.

Yes, listenning to wisdom is exhaustung, but which is more exhausting, listening to that, or to people make noise and complain about wisdom, after spending hours to write a post, and an hour to respond to noise?

Great water my time responding to a drink post.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 8:57 am

I was hoping to see one or more of these at NAB this year:

https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nVideoMin=4320

Return to Cinematography