Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Nikon D7500

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

tbandej

Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Nikon D7500

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 11:28 pm

Is anyone successfully using the Nikon D7500 with the mini recorder? The picture shows up if I use my D5100 but when I connect to the D7500, it is just black.

I would love to know if I have a setting wrong or if nobody can get this setup to work.

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Nikon D7500

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 am

set the nikon to a resolution (while not yet connected) that is set for the mini-recorder, switch off camera, connect camera, switch on the camera.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

mitchm

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Did you happen to get the settings sorted out for the d7500? I have the same issue, my d5500 works, but I get the black screen for the d7500.

Ronlau

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 1:29 am

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has had any luck in resolving this issue with the D7500 ?

I have confirmation in writing from the head of Nikon technical department that the D7500 is Non-HCDP so it should work.

I have also linked up the D7500 to my TV and am able to get a clean signal.

My computers (windows and Mac) picks up the BUMR software and the unit lights up so I've ruled out the cables, the BUMR functions, the Nikon D7500 gives a clean output signal however, it may very well be a BUMR and Nikon D7500 compatibility problem.

Please advice if there is any resolution to this otherwise I'd have no choice but to look at getting rid of my BUMR and go with another capture device.

Rgds

wangzoom

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:05 pm

+1 having this problem with D7500.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Do you have the input switch set to HD? This is switchable between SD and HD. Also the MinimRecorder only takes a SD or HD signal, not UHD. Check your camera’s HDMI output setting to make sure it is set to one of the resolutions the Mini Recorder accepts. You can verify the HDMI output by connecting the camera to a monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

wangzoom

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Do you have the input switch set to HD? This is switchable between SD and HD. Also the MinimRecorder only takes a SD or HD signal, not UHD. Check your camera’s HDMI output setting to make sure it is set to one of the resolutions the Mini Recorder accepts. You can verify the HDMI output by connecting the camera to a monitor.
Cheers

Appreciate the feedback, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who tried every combination of settings before posting here. Input is set to HD in Blackmagic. Nikon D7500 does not output UHD. I've tried all the resolution settings. Based on tech specs, they should be compatible at a variety of resolutions and frame rates. Camera HDMI works when I plug it into a TV. Mini Recorder works when capturing other HDMI sources. (With the exception of a Canon XA10... The commonality there with the D7500 is mini HDMI out. Could that be an issue?)

I did find a workaround at 1080i! I'm currently running the D7500 into a KanexPro HDMI over ethernet splitter/extender with one of the outputs plugged into the Mini Recorder. It seems ridiculous to have a rack size piece of gear for such a simple purpose, but gets the job done.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 8:21 pm

What was the camera output when your connected it directly to the monitor?
Nikon Cameras do not out a full 24, 30, or 50 frame rate, but rather 23.98, 29.97 and 59.94 respectively, which the Mini Recorder is supposed to Support, just be sure the software is set to match.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

wangzoom

PostMon May 04, 2020 6:24 am

Monitor works at all resolution settings. You're correct on the decimal frame rates, but like you said, it should be compatible either way. The camera HDMI output setting only allows adjustment of resolution. I've verified settings in the Desktop Video Setup application and in OBS. The splitter/extender I mentioned in my previous response shouldn't change resolution or frame rate, and everything works with that in the chain so I'm convinced that it's not a settings issue.

I tried setting it up again today without the extender, and for about a second I could see the camera's menu in on my computer screen before it went black again. Haven't been able to replicate it. Not sure if I should call that progress or not.

Return to Getting Started