Great news from Apple for the ones outside the US

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MishaEngel

Great news from Apple for the ones outside the US

Uli Plank

Re: Great news from Apple for the ones outside the US

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 am

They’ll come down, be patient. I’d expect food to go up and electronics to drop over the crisis.
People’s priorities will change.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 am

I suspected prices would go up especially in Canada since the collapse of oil hits us extremely hard and our $CDN is dropping like a stone. I checked my order versus the costs now and I saved $430CDN buying the Mac Pro before the change. I rarely make the right guess about the future, but at least this once I did the right thing.
Rick Lang

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Apple is simply amazing.
Corpo full power. Margins, targets etc. up to the last possible way. This company is just all about numbers. So sad as they make good operating system.
Not a single other company raised prices (in so obvious way), yet poor Apple just done it again. Hopeless.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Many countries’ currencies have slipped dramatically this year against the USD. Normally Apple sets a price based on international exchange rates and sticks to it but I can understand they wanted to recoup some of the losses from their perspective as the value of the foreign purchases was shrinking when expressed in USD. They raised the price of many add-ons but didn’t alter the prices of the base product. So the impact is significant to consumers but not as bad as it could have been.

It is tough if you look into the details and you’re right, many companies are giving people a price break in these extraordinary times. You can understand it from an accounting perspective but one might think that Apple could ride this storm better than anyone with their cash pile and their historically excessive margins.

Rather than earn some respect and admiration by dropping some prices while many feel the pinch from COVID-19 shutdowns and projects on hold, they chose the argument that they have an unassailable obligation that their first priority must be to protect shareholders’ interests. But that’s unconvincing when they must also be a good corporate citizen.

They make headlines for donating stockpiled masks, that were already paid for in previous years, and in truth their charity is paid for by these recent increases that are done quietly and don’t make headlines in the general press or editorials.

If we look back 50 years, when newspapers were king, some respected editorials may have ripped this behaviour. And in spite of Apple News+ bringing us thousands of ‘curated news’ articles every month, I don’t recall a single editorial on being the best corporate citizen a company can be when people are clearly suffering in terms of health and financial well-being. Of course I don’t recall News+ passing on a single editorial on any topic.

I can only hope they are doing their part behind the scenes in ways that we are unaware of and would make us proud if we knew; if not, shame on them.
Rick Lang

MishaEngel

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Apple is E-corp to the power (>2).
https://mrrobot.fandom.com/wiki/E_Corp.

COVID-19 doesn't discriminate.

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 am

Don’t worry, they’ll come down from their throne when people have no more money for luxury items. Those who are profiting big by gambling with the crisis are too few to keep Apple afloat.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production