How to put video files on a Hyperdeck Studio Mini?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Hadmut Danisch

How to put video files on a Hyperdeck Studio Mini?

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi,

I have a Hyperdeck Studio Mini for recording, and I am considering buying a second one for playback of videos since the ATEM switcher is able to automatically start them when switching to their input and have them play the next video.

Unfortunately the HSM is currently not willing to playback any video if not recorded with itself.

Could you please point out the requirements in terms of file names and videoformats (i.e. how to convert videos with ffmpeg) in order to make the Hyperdeck Studio Mini play them?

regards

Xtreemtec

Re: How to put video files on a Hyperdeck Studio Mini?

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Welcome to the club.. This is very very hard.. And BMD does not seem to get a setup that works out of the box.

For pointers look at this::
Frequently Asked Questions - Recording >Point 3.01

Also please go to this topic and also ask for the option to be able to render them direct from Resolve. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=97849 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 3:42 pm

I do it all the time. I live in the 59.94i world so I have to export from Adobe After Effects or Premiere Pro as 29.97 upper field first. I use QuickTime LT and it works great. For anything with an alpha channel you will need to use QT 4444 RGB+Alpha and have your deck wired up to use both key and fill on two inputs.
Aric Mackey

Hadmut Danisch

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 3:57 pm

At the end of the day it might be the better, easier, and even cheaper solution to just use a Raspberry Pi 3 with HDMI output, which plays, renders, scales, and converts virtually everything. Just set the screen refresh rate to the needed fps, and it will play almost everything you give it, no matter which frame rate, size, format.

And even better: It come with USB and Ethernet connection and has Linux running.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 2:59 am

Keep in mind that the HyperDeck Studio Mini will not playback arbitrary H.264 video files that are loaded onto the device (there is a note about this limitation in the manual).

So you will need to export files in either ProRes or DNxHD format in order to play them out from the HyperDeck Mini.

Hadmut Danisch

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 12:34 pm

I know.

But the ProRes files (generated with ffmpeg) I've put on the memory card are not recognized by the Hyperdeck either.

There's some restrictions about the file name or the precise parameters I'd need to know.

(side note: There's HDMI->MP4 recorders available at Amazon for about 80 Euro)

scotmacman

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Can you say what your desired settings are? (If you're playing via an ATEM, then this will be the setting that your switcher is set for, e.g. 1080i50). Someone might have some handy settings for FFMPEG ready to send you...

Howard Roll

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 am

There's no possible combination of export settings in Resolve that will output a file a Ki-Pro will play. I wouldn't say the issue is tied to the Hyperdeck exclusively. My solution was to re-compress in Apple Compressor and then everything worked as it should........$50 bucks later, booo.

Good Luck

Hadmut Danisch

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 10:35 am

Well, I'm somewhat experienced with ffmpeg and could find the options myself, it's just about: what does this device want to have?

Of course I'm taking care to match the settings, i.e. 1080p25 or p50, but since there is a setting for the framerate etc. on the ATEM only, the hyperdeck should not be restricted to a particular setting (and not even know which frame rate is set on the ATEM). So even if the framerate is not the one configured at the ATEM, the hyperdeck should still be playing the video (and just the ATEM not accept it).

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm

If you are using ffmpeg to generate ProRes files, be aware that ffmpeg has a couple different ProRes encoders (prores_aw and prores_ks). Since neither of these are officially licensed ProRes codecs (but instead are reverse engineered implementations), it is possible that they may produce slightly different output than official ProRes implementations:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#ProRes

Other people that have tried using ffmpeg to generate ProRes files for HyperDeck playback seem to have had mixed results:
https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3736
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71054
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65226
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9974

I'm not sure I've seen anyone report a fully working ffmpeg command to do this (with correct video and audio playback on HyperDecks), so if you find one that works, definitely report back. The people that seem to have had the most success are using either QuickTime or Adobe Media Encoder to export the video files.

scotmacman

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 8:42 am

A technique I have used is to make a recording on the HyperDeck with the video parameters I need. For example by recording the output from an ATEM that is set to my required configuration.

I copy that file to my computer and use MediaInfo to look at its video and audio properties.

Then (using mostly trial and error) create files using a software encoder (Resolve, Compressor etc) and opening that also in MediaInfo and seeing how they compare and differ, and then tweaking settings until I get a good match. Not everything has to match, but key elements do. Then — for the real test — copy potential "good matches" to the HyperDeck and see if they play! I've always got there... eventually.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:45 am

scotmacman wrote:A technique I have used is to make a recording on the HyperDeck with the video parameters I need. For example by recording the output from an ATEM that is set to my required configuration.

I copy that file to my computer and use MediaInfo to look at its video and audio properties.

Then (using mostly trial and error) create files using a software encoder (Resolve, Compressor etc) and opening that also in MediaInfo and seeing how they compare and differ, and then tweaking settings until I get a good match. Not everything has to match, but key elements do. Then — for the real test — copy potential "good matches" to the HyperDeck and see if they play! I've always got there... eventually.

So would it not be MUCH easier if in Resolve you just could hit Export for Hyperdeck, Select the codec type you want and resolve exports the file in the correct way for the hyperdeck to play accordingly???

Please go to this Feature request topic for Resolve regarding this matter and Vote it up please!! >> viewtopic.php?f=33&t=97849
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jodysmith

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Howard Roll wrote:There's no possible combination of export settings in Resolve that will output a file a Ki-Pro will play. I wouldn't say the issue is tied to the Hyperdeck exclusively. My solution was to re-compress in Apple Compressor and then everything worked as it should........$50 bucks later, booo.

Good Luck

Howard, what settings did you use in Compressor to get playable files? I am in the process of doing that same thing.

thanks!

David_Anderson

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 pm

My Settings in Compressor:

Video:
Frame Size 1920x1080
Pixel Aspect Ratio - Square
Frame Rate - 29.97
Field order - Top First
Color Space - Rec.709
360 Metadata - Automatic
Codec - Apple ProRes422

Audio
Channel Layout - Stereo (L R)
Sample rate 48
Sample size 24
Codec - Linear PCM
Sample Format - Integer (Little Endian).

I just did a production where I had to render out 70 pre recorded slots. The above profile worked beautifully!

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

David_Anderson

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm

One more thing - I found that it was best to render the files and make the destination the SD card. It saved a bunch of time from rendering and then copying. It rendered at the same speed (at least on my mac) to the local SSD and the SD card. A 60 minute video took about 17 minutes to render in compressor and then another 17-20 to copy to the SD card. If I just rendered to the SD card it was still 17 minutes.

Also - at the above settings it's about 1GB per minute of video. Just a FYI. I have used Sandisk Extreme Pro 512 SD cards with no issues.

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

Baz

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 3:29 am

For mac, if you click this link...

http://www.bazcontrollers.com/x8tally/

and download the file DeliverPresetList.xml and put it in...

/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Settings

...this will allow you to open the Davinci Resolve 'Deliver' tab and the preset "hyperdeck export" will appear for you to select all the required Hyperdeck settings for export.

The same will work with windows by changing the file location accordingly.

WARNING: If the folder already has the DeliverPresetList file you will need to open it and ADD this preset to your existing Deliver presets.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

BulldogDrummond

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:18 pm

I tried the XLM on DaVinci 17 and could not see the option to export to my Hyperdeck Studio Mini.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

Baz wrote:For mac, if you click this link...

and download the file DeliverPresetList.xml and put it in...

/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Settings

...this will allow you to open the Davinci Resolve 'Deliver' tab and the preset "hyperdeck export" will appear for you to select all the required Hyperdeck settings for export.

The same will work with windows by changing the file location accordingly.

WARNING: If the folder already has the DeliverPresetList file you will need to open it and ADD this preset to your existing Deliver presets.

Baz

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 8:45 am

BulldogDrummond wrote:I tried the XLM on DaVinci 17 and could not see the option to export to my Hyperdeck Studio Mini.

Any suggestions?

This is a preset recipe for the correct Deliver Page settings, it's not going to open up an FTP channel to the deck. FWIW I'm pretty sure that these settings are exactly the same as Prores master.

Good Luck

hyper.png
hyper.png (100.37 KiB) Viewed 9169 times

BulldogDrummond

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
BulldogDrummond wrote:I tried the XLM on DaVinci 17 and could not see the option to export to my Hyperdeck Studio Mini.

Any suggestions?

This is a preset recipe for the correct Deliver Page settings, it's not going to open up an FTP channel to the deck. FWIW I'm pretty sure that these settings are exactly the same as Prores master.

Good Luck

hyper.png

Thanks for the Clarification

It did work as you mentioned. I wasn't looking in the correct area. All is good.

Bill Drummond

BulldogDrummond

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 pm

BulldogDrummond wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:

Any suggestions?

Good Luck

hyper.png

Thanks for the Clarification

It did work as you mentioned. I wasn't looking in the correct area. All is good.

Bill Drummond

One more question if I may?

I am only seeing 1 of 3 files on the Hyperdeck (on either SD. If I only load one of the files on the card it plays fine. If I have 2 or more files on the cards only the first file will play or be detected.

I'd attach screen shots of the ATEM SC and FTP client but I don't haven't figured out how to make that happen

No Joy in Mudville Today

Thank You

Bill Drummond

fbarrera

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 am

For Davinci Resolve on Windows. The only configuration in which I managed to render for playback in Hyperdeck Studio Mini is the following:
226223423_10225048416658392_3939449621601809307_n.jpg
226223423_10225048416658392_3939449621601809307_n.jpg (13.95 KiB) Viewed 8191 times

jcbrown1

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 11:14 am

I'm struggling understanding this. I can create files in Premiere Pro, use Apple Prores 4444 with Alpha at 29.97 (whole system is set to 29.97) and load up the SD Card and it is works. Conversely, can do they same exact export setting with After Effects and it works. However, I can't put a Premiere File and an After Effects file on the same SD card and see both from the Hyperdeck mini. I also can't use Media Encoder to make a difference. The hyperdeck mini somehow recognizes either one or the other but not both file types even though I'm rendering with the exact same settings. Anyone know why this is happening? Am I missing one small setting somewhere?

RicG@PCC

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm

I've been working on making as clean of a break as I can from Adobe CC and found out how to do this in Resolve/Deliver.

- In the Video export settings set to:

Format: QuickTime
    Codec: Apple ProRes
    Type: Apple ProRes 422

Check the box for Interlaced Rendering (That's a biggie)
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 HD
    Frame rate: 29.97 (also critical)

This the HyperDeck will recognize as 59.9i and be happy.

Ric

Return to Live Production