Advanced Panel

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Herbert Unterberger

Advanced Panel

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Hy folks,

I need some advice or ideas for a Windows 10 Pro machine.

Environment:

Resolve 16.2
latest Windows 10 Pro
Panels left, Right, center seen on devices

Usb connection 10m - which is not the problem - cause builtin keyboard and attached mouse is working

just Resolve ist not finding the panel.

what did not work:

removing the drivers
changing to a usb extension
changing the Preference to None and reboot....

just run out of ideas to bring this 30.000 bugs thing alive

once the system was sold as turn key......

So I checked it with my mac book (resave 16.2) and it was alive. so no Firmware problem.

thx for every ideas

stay healthy

Marc Wielage

Re: Advanced Panel

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 pm

We only run the panels connected directly to the computer's own USB port, not through a port extender or an extension cable. 10 meters is very, very long for a panel connection. I wouldn't go longer than 2 meters, tops.

There are systems that boost the USB connection that I know are being used around LA. They basically convert USB to CAT5 signals, and those you can extend for hundreds of feet. Geffen is one such company:

https://www.gefen.com/product/usb-20-ex ... -USB2.0-LR
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 am

For sure a 10M USB cable is too long. Doesn't matter that the slide out keyboard works.

10 FEET would be the longest USB cable I'd recommend. Longer than that, we'd recommend you use an Icron 2204 or 2304 USB extender.

There CAN be a real issue, but we can't go there until you verify a short 10 foot cable also doesn't work.

How did you connect the Mac?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Herbert Unterberger

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 am

The mac was connected by a 1m meter cable and work, but this 10 m cable was working fine for year without problems and it still is connecting internal keyboard ans attached mouse correctly.

does the new firmware need a higher Usb connectivity?

the Usb extender was just a workaround try cause I have been reading your comments in the forum.

thx for your answers.

If you have any further ideas, bevor I have to rebuild my system and move my supermicro and accusy racks out of the machine room, I would be happy.

Herbert Unterberger

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 am

Dwaine thx for your answer and also to Marc with the year I read a lot of your comments and the help many times.

I am realy happy to get with you in a direct conversation.

If I bring the the computer the external gpu in the grading suite it will get noisy and I loos the 10 G copper connection to the Avid net.

Thats a lot of work with the result, that I will be working on the Nike protocol.

When you think windows is not the problem - in which I am not to firm as Mac user :D - I will give it a try.

all the best from Vienna
Herbert

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:37 am

Dwaine is correct
we'd recommend you use an Icron 2204 or 2304 USB extender.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 7:23 am

So, just to check one thing then...

With Resolve on Windows running and configured to talk to the Advanced Panels, open Task Manager, and look in Apps, and expand the Resolve group, and is there a bmdpaneld process running?

If you don't see it there, do you see it in anywhere in the Background Processes list?

If you don't see bmdpaneld anywhere in Task Manager, then open a File Explorer window and navigate to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

Double click bmdpaneld

What happens?
Dwaine Maggart

Herbert Unterberger

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 11:17 am

I am back in in 4 h

Herbert Unterberger

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 3:04 pm

There was no bmdpaneld in the task Manager to find.

Double clicking in on c/.../DaVinci Resolve/bmdpaneld Brings up an Error:

Translationen:

System error
Start of Code can Not be continuted, because MSVCR120.dll was Not found.

Try to reinstall the App, that could solve the problem.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm

OK. Using Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features, uninstall the Microsoft C++ 2013 packages.

Then go to the Microsoft site, and download and install both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the C++ 2013 packages:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... le-package

After doing all that, double click bmdpaneld again, to make sure the error is gone.
Dwaine Maggart

Herbert Unterberger

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Trank you so much!!

Dawaine you are a hero.

Panel is back on, even with the 10 Meter cabel the Cheap USB Extension is Looping the Connection periodically

So back to work

Stay healthy
All the best

Herbert

GEGEGE

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a serious issue with switching from Resolve 15 to 16 on Windows10 station. The advanced panel that have perfectly worked till this day isn't recognised at all now. I tried several things, like switching to previous versions (and it works again on Resolve 15), connected advanced panel on a Macbook Pro with Resolve 15 / Resolve 16 (nothing happens, the panel doesn't pop-up), and tried to switch in Preferences from 'none' to other panel options (but the advanced isn't in the list).
By now, all I can do is switching back to version 15 to be able to use the panel, but it will be a serious problem when I'll have to open an existing version 16 project on the station...
If you have something in mind...

Many thanks,

Etienne

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 4:31 pm

The panel firmware changes from Resolve 15 to 16.

And once the Resolve 16 panel firmware is loaded in the system, it will no longer connect to a Resolve 15 system.

When you install Resolve 16, it should pop up a message that the panel fw needs to be updated, and ask you if you want to update. Perhaps you missed or ignored that message?

I'm troubled by your comment that Advanced was not in the panel list on the Macbook. Advanced panels are only supported in Resolve Studio (and not the Apple App Store version). Does your MBP have the free version, or App Store Studio version installed? That would explain the lack of an Advanced option.

Sometimes USB extenders will interfere with the panel fw update process. If you are using a USB extender on the Windows system, that may be an issue.

Ideally, connect a computer directly to the panels, Using your MBP is a good plan, but only if you have the BMD Studio version installed. Can you try that? Or a Windows laptop with Studio 16 installed, that you can temporarily connect to the panels, to get them updated?
Dwaine Maggart

GEGEGE

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 am

I tried again, with a Windows 10 laptop this time. Installed brand new Resolve 16.2.3 Studio version, and connected it to the panel via direct USB cable.
First launch, nothing happens, and I switch from 'None' to 'Advanced Panel' in Preferences menu. After rebooting, I have a pop-up window : ''One or more Davinci panels could not be found. Please check your panels are properly connected. All panels require both a USB and power cable.''

Nothing has changed in panel plugs, except the fact I changed the input of USB cable from Icron extender to USB input of the laptop.

For information, I had this exact same message on my 'main' Resolve station (also running Windows 10).

Thanks for your help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:15 pm

If you open Windows Device Manager, and look in the "Sound, video and game controllers" area, do you see all 3 panels?

If you right click each panel and select Properties, then select the Driver tab, what version do you see?

Do all 3 panels show the same version?
Dwaine Maggart

GEGEGE

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 am

I can clearly see all 3 panels in Device Manager, and each are in 15.3.0.0 Driver Version.
For information, I tried again pluging Advanced Panel to a Mac Resolve 16 Studio Version, switching from 'None' to 'Advanced Panel' and I obtained the exact same message that I had on the Windows 10 Station : 'One or more Davinci panels could not be found. Please check your panels are properly connected. All panels require both a USB and power cable'.

GEGEGE

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Problem solved, unplugging main power cable for a minute and relaunching Resolve, the firmware update window poped-up...

Bill Holley

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi,

I'm using the Advanced Panels with a Mac Pro and over the last year the panels have started acting up.
It first started with the panels becoming inactive after sitting for the weekend and needing a reboot of the Mac on Mondays. Then during an extended time of inactivity during a session one or two of the panels would become inactive and require a Mac restart.
Now I have lost 2 panels completely, the left and right are not recognised by the system. It shows "vendor specific device" for 2 of the panels and "Davinci resolve center console".
I am running the Icron extenders because we have a central equipment room. I have been running this setup for over 3 years without problems.
I have taken the panels to the Mac to test directly and found the same results, I have also plugged the panels into a Mac book in my room and found the same results.

Any other ideas?

P.S. running 17.4

Bill Holley

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 2:14 pm

I guess we'll find out what's going on. BMD has asked for the panels to be sent back to them for inspection.

Tang Qiang

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 3:27 pm

Bill Holley wrote:I guess we'll find out what's going on. BMD has asked for the panels to be sent back to them for inspection.

Hi Bill, any updates from BMD? I am having the same problem with the right side panel.

Bill Holley

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi Tang,

BMD replaced the motherboards in the left and right panels. LEDs are super bright now compared to the center panel and there is no real separate adjustments for that. Panels are now back to normal functioning, thanks BMD.

Return to DaVinci Resolve