keyboard shortcut for next clip in media pool?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Mo

keyboard shortcut for next clip in media pool?

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 6:48 pm

Hello,

I cannot for the life of me find a keyboard shortcut for "next clip" in the media pool.

I'm trying to keep a speedy workflow to use my mouse less.

In an ideal world I can go to the next clip in my media pool, play the clip back & enter key words in the metadata all without having to reach for my mouse.

Am I missing something or is resolve not set up to accommodate this out of the box? Do I really have to click each clip and click the keyword box each and every time I want to input metadata into the clip?

Thanks in advance!
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9 | Macbook Pro (16-Inch, 2021) | Apple M1 Max 10 Core | 64 GB Memory

Nick Mo

Re: keyboard shortcut for next clip in media pool?

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 6:55 pm

Also I would love to know how to make it so that when I select a clip from the media pool it automatically cues up to the BEGINNING of the clip in the source viewer rather than at the current position of the playhead over the media pool clips.

I keep having to press the home key to get to the start of the clip but I'd rather have them default that way.
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9 | Macbook Pro (16-Inch, 2021) | Apple M1 Max 10 Core | 64 GB Memory

John Paines

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:09 pm

1) ctrl-5, cursor right/left/up/down

2) am not sure what the issue is. Position will default to first frame, unless the clip was previously in the source viewer and last play position was other than the head frame.

Nick Mo

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Hey John,

Thanks so much for the reply! I left out a very important detail, my apologies!

I am working in the edit tab of resolve working in the media pool there rather than the media tab. When I went to the media pool tab it worked perfectly as you described.

Any idea how to achieve the same functionality in the media pool while in the edit tab?

John Paines

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Try ctrl-2. ctrl-5 is from an earlier version of the keyboard, which some of us are still using. You can find these assignments, or search for them, using the keyboard preferences template.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 8:35 pm

I assigned the "make bin active" operation to the "h", which is not assigned to anything by default i think. Makes it a little handier and faster than the default combination IMO. From there you can indeed use the arrows and enter.

Wish there was a real, direct shortcut for "next clip" though.. like, i dont know, arrow down? It could be so simple.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 am

Rick

John is on the money - look up Workspace > Active Panel Selection menu for focus switching hotkeys... and use cursor keys when in focus.

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 am

That's exactly what i said. but that still takes at least 3 keyboard shortcuts. and if your clip is the most right one in the tile view, you have to cycle all the way to the left, and one down, if that makes sense.

what i mean is; when the viewer is active (in the edit/media page), just one button to make the next clip appear in the viewer. you can cycle way faster through your footage this way.

suggestion: arrow down/up is now jumping to the first and last frame of the clip, so maybe ctrl-down/up to make the previous/next clip appear.

i really think this could be one of those typical, small features that you would miss if it wasn't there anymore. i also don't see any downside of having this. and i think it's easier to implement than facial recognition.

Nick Mo

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 3:10 am

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to explore some of the options you all presented to me.

madwtf

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 am

I needed the same shortcut as you and I found this solution at the moment. I've got a Logitech G11 keyboard with programmable G keys. And programmed for the one key next functions:
Ctrl+2 to select Media Pool Tab
Arrow Down to select Next Clip
Enter to open it in Monitor.
It works great for me. In one press. But you just can reassign the window selection to something more handy if haven't got ability to programme buttons as I do. Also I narrowed the media pool window so it can only fit 1 column. In this case Arrow Down always means I select Next Clip ;)

Hope it helps) Sorry for English, It's not my native)
DR 16.2.055, Win10, Ryzen 2700X, 32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz, GTX1080, Studio 442.92, SSD (OS) + HDD 7200rpm

Nick Mo

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 5:46 am

Thanks for the tip! This i something I'll definitely look into more!

John Paines

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 pm

You can automate keystrokes in this way with any keyboard macro utility. On Windows, Autohotkey is free open source and works well with Resolve.

Nick Mo

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, John! I am working off of mac but I'm sure there must be something similar as what you are describing. I will look into this.

janobis

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Many people seem to use Keyboard Maestro. I still look for a free tool on Mac.

panteliz

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:56 pm

So finally what is the official answer on this question: "what key previews the next clip of the media on the preview monitor"?

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 3:01 pm

Arrow keys will navigate clips

Enter will load into Source Viewer

Ctrl+2 will change panel selection back to Media Pool

Repeat...
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

virgo47

PostTue Nov 01, 2022 5:18 pm

The workflow with arrows, Ctrl+2 and Enter more or less works. But first, you have to focus the right parts of the UI. After I clicked somewhere else on the Media page (e.g. the viewer), it stops working - I have to click into the media pool first. Also, the switch to Media page and back to Edit is annoying. I can choose I/O and append quickly on the Edit page and then I need to do these gymnastics to get to the next source media.

It's a bit easier in the source-tape mode on the Cut page, where I naturally get to the next source media. This does not require switching pages, just getting used to the different page.

Return to DaVinci Resolve