Color: version conflict

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

st23be

Color: version conflict

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 am

Hey,

My grader still has an old studio version (I think 12.5) due to incompatibility problems and not enough funds to upgrade their computer. Whenever I import a project in DV 12/16 90% of the footage looks amazing, but especially on FS7/FX9 footage the black level on my end is 5-10% too high. We've been looking at where this comes from, but can't come up with any evidence.
It's not an ideal situation, and we are looking into upgrading on their end, but it remains an interesting "bug" to figure out as we've been breaking our heads for so long.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Color: version conflict

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:56 am

There a numerous spec changes and improvements since v12.5, 5 years ago, so i would just accept the old projects and fix those that need it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:30 am

st23be wrote:My grader still has an old studio version (I think 12.5) due to incompatibility problems and not enough funds to upgrade their computer. Whenever I import a project in DV 12/16 90% of the footage looks amazing, but especially on FS7/FX9 footage the black level on my end is 5-10% too high. We've been looking at where this comes from, but can't come up with any evidence.

I would put color bars at the head of every timeline as reference, then check that to see if the color bars itself changes. If it does and you can see it on scopes, I would suspect a video/full data level problem, or an embedded LUT, or some other similar kind of setting. Barring that, I would just make a Timeline-level overall adjustment and call it a day.

What is the type of footage used by FX7/FS9 cameras? H.264? I have seen Raw settings change between 14.5 and 15, and had a catastrophe with that about 2 years ago. In that case, basically Resolve 15 ignored the Raw settings and a bunch of shots came up wrong. I still had the original 14 projects available on a Resolve 14 system, and was able to check the Raw settings and duplicate them in 15, and everything popped back in. That took me about an hour or two, and that was a very involved 90-minute feature with about 2000 cuts.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

st23be

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Yes it was RAW, but a timeline correction won't work as it is mixed with other footage which is still graded correctly. I split the footage in RAW and non RAW and corrected the RAW footage only.
thanks for your feedback

Return to DaVinci Resolve