Can I achieve this mixing setup in Fairlight? And how?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Denis Scholvien

Can I achieve this mixing setup in Fairlight? And how?

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am

I am trying to achieve the following but can't wrap my head around it.

I have a project with about 20 tracks.
There are 6 vocal tracks among those from 3 different people (2 tracks per person).
I now want to process these vocals separately.
I create 3 submixes for each person.
So the 2 tracks from each person are channeled to separate sub mixes.
On this submix channels I have EQ and compressor added.
I also have an 2 AUX channels, one with a reverb and one with a delay. All 6 tracks are sent to reverb and delay.
The output of all of this is sent to Main 1 out.

Now at the end I want to have another channel that sums all the processed vocals together, so that I can add bus compression or a limiter or whatever else if needed.

I do not want to do that on the Main 1 channel because the whole project is not only vocals, there are other tracks also.

Can that be achieved or did I set the whole project up the wrong way?
I wasn't sure if for this type of processing I should have used groups or sub mixes or another way or if I can only bounce the tracks.

So I am wondering how any of you would suggest to achieve this and what I should do different.

Thanks.
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 - Win 10 - i7-8700, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

Reynaud Venter

Re: Can I achieve this mixing setup in Fairlight? And how?

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Sum via M2 and route to M1 via a Timeline Track in "Thru" mode (Path Settings).

Denis Scholvien

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Thank you for the tip. I think I managed to get it to work. But have a few questions as well.

I did check page 2933 in the manual also on path settings but didn't understand it to be honest.

So I created M2 and routed the vocal subs there. It confuses me that after doing this nothing is output from M2. Shouldn;t it play the subs assigned to it? I still only get a signal on M1.

Anyways, as you said to route via a timeline track.

So I created a new one, called it Vocals Sum and then patched the input from this track like this:

Main out M2 L/R --> Main return M1 L/R

This immediately starts to output audio on M2 and sounds like I get the 3 vocal subs summed on there.
Did I do this correct? As I did not understand the "....via a Timeline Track in "Thru" mode (Path Settings)." part and what "Thru" mode in the path settings is. Is there any other setting to change?

I'd also like to understand why it is necessary to create a timeline track first and patch it. Is this the standard way to route subs to another main out?

Would there be any way to just create M2, assign busses, and get audio out of M2?
Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 - Win 10 - i7-8700, 32GB RAM, GTX1070

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:22 pm

Denis Scholvien wrote:So I created M2 and routed the vocal subs there. It confuses me that after doing this nothing is output from M2. Shouldn;t it play the subs assigned to it? I still only get a signal on M1.
If the Sub Busses are routed correctly to M2 then M2 should receive signal - assuming those Sub Busses are receiving input signal from the Timeline Tracks.

patched the input from this track like this: Main out M2 L/R --> Main return M1 L/R
Your patching is fine if M2 is the only source routed to M1, often this isn't the case.

The suggestion was to rather route through a Timeline Track as follows:
Source: Main Out (Main 2-L + Main 2-R)
Destination: Track Input (Audio 1-L + Audio 1-R)

Route that Timeline Track to M1.

Patch.png
Patch.png (24.21 KiB) Viewed 529 times

I did not understand the "....via a Timeline Track in "Thru" mode (Path Settings)." part and what "Thru" mode in the path settings is.
Via the Timeline Track's Path settings enable "Thru" in the "Record Level" section.

Mixer Channel > Input > Path Settings

"Thru" mode monitors the Track input ("Live Feed") and so doesn't allow enabling of Record for that Track.

If you require printing the input signal to that Track, disable "Thru" prior to enabling "Record".

Path Settings Thru.png
Path Settings Thru.png (97.44 KiB) Viewed 529 times

I'd also like to understand why it is necessary to create a timeline track first and patch it. Is this the standard way to route subs to another main out?
Routing between multiple Mains isn't possible.

If the requirement is to process a summing Buss prior to routing to a primary Main Buss, then the method outlined in my previous post would provide the option to do so.

Return to DaVinci Resolve