DTS:X

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Jim Simon

DTS:X

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Looking for those with experience listening to programs in DTS:X from their home theater receiver.

I have a Denon AVR-S720W which offers both Dolby Surround and DTS:X for stereo sources like older TV shows/movies and YouTube. Dolby Surround does a decent job with the processing, and a damn good job with the steering. I like the processing for DTS:X a little more, but the steering is waaaay off the mark.

Sounds that are clearly intended to be in the front speakers are often coming out the surrounds, or will start in the surrounds for a brief moment and then properly get steered to the front. It's very distracting, to the point where I just can't enjoy the superior processing of DTS:X because of the inferior steering.

What do you guys experience with DTS:X? Is this common for the format, or is my receiver in need of a firmware update (despite none actually being available)?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

juliadavid

Re: DTS:X

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 6:51 am

BTW, which is better Dolby Atmos or DTS X?

Jim Simon

Re: DTS:X

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm

I've always been a fan of DTS over Dolby.

But they usually are different mixes, so it's difficult to get an apples to apples "encoding" comparison.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Off-Topic