KYNO compatibility

• Author

RandyOK

KYNO compatibility

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 am

Allow KYNO https://lesspain.software/kyno/ to send media files directly to the Media Pool with metadata included like it does with Premiere Pro and FCPX.
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 18.5.3
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

Re: KYNO compatibility

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 2:59 pm

+1. Assuming we are talking about XMP metadata support. I believe Kyno works this way, but I don't think DR should be built for specific third party browsers. Open standard is best.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 am

i love kyno, would be amazing addition if we could have best of both worlds. digital asset management feels like an under-served market IMO. The media tab could be a complete kyno-ish thing

RandyOK

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Looks like they have it worked out for the Mac version in the upcoming KYNO 1.8 release

But there is still some things that need to be worked out with BMD on the XML in the windows version.
I am on Windows so I am hoping they get it working soon.
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 pm

watched the video -

OK, now that would be a feature of Kyno that I'm interested in. Hope to see it in Windows too. Still want XMP metadata though :)
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

RandyOK

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 1:28 pm

From what I understand, KYNO handles XMP, but Resolve does not. Is that correct?
Maybe they can add that soon?
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 6:09 pm

AFAIK, Resolve only has its own internal tagging/metadata system. It seems that Kyno also uses its own files for metadata, but has the ability to export XMP metadata for use in Ppro and Final Cut. A universal method for reading/writing metadata would be ideal, but maybe that's a bridge too far.

So the question remains: will Kyno be able to send metadata tags in some way (some or all) to Resolve?

Guess we will find out in the next few weeks.

kinvermark

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm

I have been testing the KYNO 1.8 beta for Windows.

The program is stable and has matured a lot from the earlier versions. From what I understand, Blackmagic needs to make some changes to the Windows version of Resolve to allow KYNO to send clip metadata (tags, markers, sub clips...) and add bins directly into Resolve.

I think this could be a really nice workflow. Let's hope the required changes are made in the next version of Resolve.

RandyOK

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 3:19 am

kinvermark wrote:I think this could be a really nice workflow. Let's hope the required changes are made in the next version of Resolve.

I agree! I hope that BMD makes the necessary adjustments to allow this workflow to happen.
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

RandyOK

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 3:29 pm

It looks like the windows version will work in Resolve in the next beta release of KYNO.

From Thomas Meyer at KYNO

Hi Randy,

The Windows download should be included in the link I sent you. BRAW playback should also work on Windows, it’s just the integration with Davinci Resolve which doesn’t yet work on Windows, but I have good news - it’ll work in the next beta and will be included in 1.8.

Best, Thomas
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 pm

@RandyOK

Good news. Thanks for posting that.

BTW, if you (or anyone else) have tried the Mac beta, does it pull groups of single still images into Resolve? (As opposed to seeing numbered images as sequences.)

RandyOK

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 am

Looks like it’s getting better all the time....

What's New (all editions):
Mac only: Integration with DaVinci Resolve - use the same simple "Send to" workflow you already know from our Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro integrations to import clips with metadata like markers & subclips to DaVinci Resolve (Send To > DaVinci Resolve... or Cmd-Shift-D)
New incremental transcoding workflow - transcode entire directory structures without worrying what you already transcoded last time, great for proxy or dailies workflows
Reconnect metadata that has been lost due to accidental file name changes for example (main menu > File > Recover Lost Metadata...)
Kyno now detects sidecar LUT files common with on-set color grading workflows using FIlmLight's Daylight for example - just place the 3D LUT next to the clip with the same name (e.g. "0001.cube" next to "0001.mov") and Kyno will automatically apply that LUT during playback
We've reorganized the context menu for files, putting our most popular features to the foreground. The "Export"-menu was split up into the new top-level items "Export Subclips", "Export Markers as Stills" and "Export Metadata"
Transfer metadata between copies of entire folder structures by a simple copy & paste operation using "Copy" and then "Paste metadata..." from the file context menu
We've added a browser column for "Date Recorded" - the date extracted from clip metadata not from file creation or modification timestamps. The corresponding renaming variables are also available
A browser column for the file path was also added
The Excel export now includes the following metadata: Date Created, Date Modified, Date Recorded, File path, File size, Reel, Scene, Shot, Take. Total number of clips and total duration are also exported
Added playback and decoding support for Grass Valley HQ and HQX (formerly Canopus HQ)
Drop files on the "Browser"-area to copy them into the currently selected folder
Allow drag and drop of single clips from Final Cut Pro to Kyno triggering import of metadata for that clip
Import and export the camera name metadata from and to Final Cut Pro (XML)
Allow importing legacy Final Cut Pro XML files (version 1.3) that are generated by 3rd party on-set systems such as LockitNetwork
Improve debugging tools available to users when troubleshooting
Allow advanced users to disable file system event monitoring for network, local or removable drives
What's New (Premium edition):
Blackmagic RAW support (playback and transcoding)
Integration with Avid Media Composer - send clip metadata to Media Composer using ALE and copy & paste markers from Kyno to Media Composer
Improvements
Metadata is now automatically updated while in list or thumbnail view, improving collaborative workflows on shared storage or remote collaboration using Dropbox or Google Drive
Kyno now carries over the content creation date metadata (aka date recorded) to MOV containers during conversion
Files are automatically indexed after verified copying, improving browsing speed after offloading
Improved performance of thumbnail extraction when low-res decoding is supported (RED RAW R3D, Blackmagic RAW)
Improved general indexing performance under certain circumstances
No longer display a warning in the transcoding dialog that a new folder will be created - we admit this was confusing :-)
Offloaded media files are automatically indexed and cached thumbnails and metadata are copied automatically
Fixes:
Fixed a bug that caused very short RED RAW R3D clips not to play back
Fixed an issue causing descriptive metadata changes not to be visible immediately on some forms of shared storage
Fixed a regression that caused cancel buttons to disappear from preanalyze and other progress dialogs
No longer allow empty file names in naming controls for batch renaming or transcoding
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I tried the KYNO beta I have with DR 16.2.1

There is now the ability in Windows for KYNO to "send to Resolve" but it does not seem to work as intended or completely. Might need another beta from KYNO before support is complete.

As of now: It can create a bin of clips in Resolve, but metadata tags don't come over, and individual stills are incorrectly appearing as image sequences that include all the stills from the parent folder.

Verhuus

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:57 am

Lesspain uses the FCP7-xml to import into Kyno; this doesn’t support tags/keywords...
Importing a serie of stills results in a videoclip in Resolve; this is a known issue, has nothing to do with Kyno
I am afraid that Kyno’s import function has limits

kinvermark

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 pm

You may be correct, but let's wait and see what KYNO can offer in the new release. No tags or ability to send stills as single images would be a non-starter for me. Might as well just use Bridge.

FYI, Resolve certainly can be set to distinguish stills from sequences, and 16.2.1 has extended this support past the media page so that you can drag and drop groups of single image numbered stills from Windows or applications like Bridge, etc.

Thomas from Kyno

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Chiming in with some information from the Kyno-side: Thanks to the work the Resolve-team has put into 16.2.1 you will be able to send-to Resolve on Mac and Windows using Kyno 1.8 (it's done via FCP7 XML as noted by you guys). We've even figured out a way to bring tags across as well which needs some more testing. We'll post a new beta some time soon. Anyone who wants in on the beta program drop us an email (support at lesspain dot software).

As for the image sequences - we haven't tested this ourselves, but I'd assume there isn't much we can do as that's an interpretation done by Resolve. Would love to hear your results on that using the soon-to-come beta.

Thank you @RandyOK for pointing me to this thread ;-)

kinvermark

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the update. Great to hear that there is a way to move tags over - that's an important feature to prevent duplicated effort.

FYI, I bring stills (as opposed to image sequences) into Resolve via FCP7 XML all the time (XML exported from Vegas Pro). Works perfectly, and even keeps all the applied motion keyframes and cross dissolves. So I don't think there should be any problem for KYNO to do this.

The KYNO beta I have will export an entire folder of hundreds of stills as a single sequence, even if I only select ONE photo for export - so something clearly isn't working right yet.

You have my email, so feel free to contact me if you need a sample xml generated by Vegas Pro.

GlueFactoryBJJ

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 7:44 am

I know I'm late to this conversation, but... ;)

Personally, I would like to see BMD buy Kyno (as they did with Resolve, Fusion, and Fairlight) and just incorporate it into Resolve wholesale as part of the Media and/or Cut and Edit pages.

Keep the standalone product so they can get people to try the "seemless" version in Resolve (no roundtripping), but, IMO, Resolve really needs something like this and something that can be incorporated into their existing database. Having Kyno functionality in the Resolve database system would really amp up its utility, especially for "cross project" searches.

Anyway, my $.02...

Scott
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

RandyOK

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 11:54 am

GlueFactoryBJJ wrote:I know I'm late to this conversation, but... ;)

Personally, I would like to see BMD buy Kyno (as they did with Resolve, Fusion, and Fairlight) and just incorporate it into Resolve wholesale as part of the Media and/or Cut and Edit pages.

Keep the standalone product so they can get people to try the "seemless" version in Resolve (no roundtripping), but, IMO, Resolve really needs something like this and something that can be incorporated into their existing database. Having Kyno functionality in the Resolve database system would really amp up its utility, especially for "cross project" searches.

Anyway, my $.02...

Scott

I Agree!
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

kinvermark

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm

You're more than a little late..... LessPain SW & KYNO were bought by Signiant some months ago.

Doesn't look good for the future of the software now. Check out their forum (dead) and soc. med. pages.

RandyOK

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am

Well crap! It is a great software!
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah its a pitty . I had invested 2 years ago in it and then they got bought out. No support/dev anymore.

Had been looking at a more server grade MAM solution since i finaly ditched my final cut server setup i had kept alive for years and Kyno was just an intermediate band-aid. Recently dove into editshare flow mam solution as gained a proper resolve 17 integration last year with nice proxy workflow options and a proper web based client, something i was sorely missing. Even integrated with my B2 cloud storage for archival of media.
So far pretty happy . Time will tell as only on it since a few weeks. But as its server based (running it on a linux vm) , the all important cross project/all media search performance is a billion times faster than with Kyno as that just scans your storage every time . Even preloading all metadata did not help at all.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

GlueFactoryBJJ

PostMon Aug 09, 2021 4:23 am

kinvermark wrote:You're more than a little late..... LessPain SW & KYNO were bought by Signiant some months ago.

Doesn't look good for the future of the software now. Check out their forum (dead) and soc. med. pages.

Dang! I hadn't looked at Kyno for a couple months and hadn't seen that. I was considering buying it, but had some UI glitches that made it unusable on my system. I liked what I had seen, but, privately, was hoping that if BMD had purchased Kyno, then they would fix the glitches so I could get at all of Kyno's "goodness".

Sigh!

Scott
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests