Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rhgkswhd

Re: Resolve UI Scaling for 5120x2160 screen

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi,

Thank you for preferring Blackmagic Design products.

DaVinci Resolve UI supports 1920x1080 resolution only. It does not support OS scaling.

Our developer is aware of this. It may require a total revamp of the software in order to support OS scaling.

This is reply from BM Asia.
It took years to fix Ableton Live UI scaling issue, so don't get your hopes up.
Windows 10 Pro, Davinci Resolve Studio
i9-9900k, 64gb, Nvidia RTX 4000
Eizo CG319X, Sony A7R4

SandroSchreiber

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 9:31 am

As noted by many users, the UI scales correctly under OSX. Is this so much easier to implement in OSX? I am not a developer and I am aware that there are huge differences between the two operating systems. But this problem was reported and documented by Windows users years ago. Just wondering...
Resolve Studio 16.1.2 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win10 1903
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x | GeForce GTX1080Ti (431.86 studio driver) | 64GB RAM | SSD | DeckLink Mini Monitor | BMPCC4K

Sulo Kokki

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 3:54 pm

OSX (up to El Cap) did not do UI scaling. Around High Sierra, some Mac models have seemingly adopted the ability.

Apple & UI scaling
Linux Mint 19.1 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.1.2 | 2700x 32gb Vega 56 | macOS Mojave

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 pm

You don't scale the UI.
UIs are not bitmap graphics.
UIs are not even supposed to be defined in pixels in this millenia.

You tell the applications about the DPI of each monitor and the applications are supposed to
render their fonts correctly. Separately for each window/dialog depending on what screen
it's shown on.
So a 10pt font is supposed to be 10pt = 3,53mm in physical size when rendered.
You support them by giving them rendering methods for fonts, helper methods for calculating
sizes and good documentations with examples that show these best practices.
In short the graphics API should make it easier to do it correctly then to make wrong assumptions
"because it was easier at that time".

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm

SandroSchreiber wrote:As noted by many users, the UI scales correctly under OSX. Is this so much easier to implement in OSX? I am not a developer and I am aware that there are huge differences between the two operating systems. But this problem was reported and documented by Windows users years ago. Just wondering...

Resolve uses the Qt Framework for cross platform UI. They mention some of the differences in the operating systems here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

pnguyen720

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 am

Joe Hudson wrote:an update. selecting the System or System (Enhanced) option in High DPI scaling override in the Resolve exe properties/compatibility options changes the text in Resolve back from comically big to about the right size, but it's then all blurry (on a 31" 4k monitor), where as text in other programs is a similar size but displayed nice and crisply.. I'm using Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Windows 10.

I just ran across this problem and tried this with the latest 16.2 release and noticed that it's still blurry on my 43" 4K monitor too.

I hope Davinci fixes this soon.

johnford

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 6:27 am

pnguyen720 wrote:
Joe Hudson wrote:an update. selecting the System or System (Enhanced) option in High DPI scaling override in the Resolve exe properties/compatibility options changes the text in Resolve back from comically big to about the right size, but it's then all blurry (on a 31" 4k monitor), where as text in other programs is a similar size but displayed nice and crisply.. I'm using Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Windows 10.

I just ran across this problem and tried this with the latest 16.2 release and noticed that it's still blurry on my 43" 4K monitor too.

I hope Davinci fixes this soon.

Me too...

HardRoosterLabs

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 12:18 am

4k 32" Monitor here as well. On Windows, I have the UI scaling set to 150% for the whole OS, and that works for me. Resolve looks good at that resolution for me as well.

But in Linux, the UI is tiny and I can't use it. I'm running Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, and I can double the DPI for the UI for the rest of the OS, but this has no impact on the Resolve UI scale. It's always tiny.

If I set the monitor to 1080p with no UI upscaling, the Resolve UI becomes workable, if a touch big for my taste.

I'll probably be using Linux mostly for Blender, but it would be nice to do a bit of video editing, and see if the performance is better. I tend to get a lot of input lag on Windows once I start getting my project built up.

It would be nice to have a UI scale option, like blender has.
Windows 10 Pro 1909 - Always kept up to date.
AMD Threadripper 1920X
64GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB VRAM - Always kept up to date.
(I also have 3x 1080ti's, used mainly for 3D rendering in blender)
2TB NVME RAID0 array for storage and caching of video files.

johnford

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 am

HardRoosterLabs wrote:4k 32" Monitor here as well. On Windows, I have the UI scaling set to 150% for the whole OS, and that works for me. Resolve looks good at that resolution for me as well.

I'm on Windows with WQHD scaled to 200%, and it still looks terrible. All other programs scale well, Resolve is the only exception.

lml591

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Hallo all,

This is my first post and i couldn't resist to post this.

Just found a youtube about someone called Jimmy Rig explaining some fixes for Resolve scaling issues. His second method is for AMD cards only.

Nvidia seems to also have a super resolution setting in control panel.

I tried this with an nivida 1080 and I'm getting quite good results, better than the thus far known work arounds like override dpi settings and the like.

In nvidia control panel go to "manage 3d settings", scroll down to "find DSR factors". I got mine set to 1.78x. DSR smootness is on 33%, didn't touch that.

I'm on a 27" LG 4k monitor.
Now I can set my display resolution to 5120x2880 with different scaling factors.
Fact is, resolve now looks quite good. There might be some very slight blurriness but barely visible compared to the other workarounds.

Resolve users in windows should try this. This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

johnford

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:44 pm

lml591 wrote:Hallo all,
I tried this with an nivida 1080 and I'm getting quite good results, better than the thus far known work arounds like override dpi settings and the like.

This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately for my Intel graphics card, there are 3D-options, but nothing comparable to your DSR settings.

lml591 wrote:This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

They don't seem to be interested in this issue.

pnguyen720

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 pm

lml591 wrote:Hallo all,

This is my first post and i couldn't resist to post this.

Just found a youtube about someone called Jimmy Rig explaining some fixes for Resolve scaling issues. His second method is for AMD cards only.

Nvidia seems to also have a super resolution setting in control panel.

In nvidia control panel go to "manage 3d settings", scroll down to "find DSR factors". I got mine set to 1.78x. DSR smootness is on 33%, didn't touch that.

I'm on a 27" LG 4k monitor.
Now I can set my display resolution to 5120x2880 with different scaling factors.
Fact is, resolve now looks quite good. There might be some very slight blurriness but barely visible compared to the other workarounds.

Resolve users in windows should try this. This doen't mean of course BM should fix this issue asap.

I just tried this using 135% custom scaling and didn't see any changes..

Guess I'm stuck at 150%.

Thanks for posting this anyways.

sixpack

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Ubuntu 20.04 on 4K monitor.

DaVinci is unusable. I have no problem to buy USD300 studio version on the spot, as long as the software looks correct on my 4K monitor. I refuse to do any workarounds. The software has to take care of its own UI resolution and scaling. I run Blender and it looks perfect out of the box. I had issue with Inkscape, emailed them, and they fixed it in 1 day, now Inkscape looks perfect on 4K.

I will wait another month till August 2020, and if DaVinci doesn't RESOLVE this GUI issue, I will have to purge it from my life. I am a software developer myself, and I would be ashamed if my software didn't scale itself to whatever monitor size and DPI and system resolution. There is no excuse whether they are using QT or whatever. Blender is using OpenGL to draw its interface, and believe me it looks beautiful.

So DaVinci guys: I will pay for the full version, IF it looks perfect on my 4K monitor. Otherwise I don't understand all the hype about this software. Software that produces graphical professional output can't RESOLVE itself to 4K monitor resolution? In 2020? Who are these people who develop software in 2020, which doesn't look great on ANY resolution. 8K is just round the corner. Will you take another 4 years to adjust from 4K to 8K? Will you be able to handle 8K in 2025?

DaVinci developers: hear my shout out: FIX THE BLOODY 4K GUI or stop developing software. If you were working for me, you would be fired if I couldn't see the menu text and toolbars on 4K monitor. It's a shame! It just shows you are not professional. I want to use your software. I want to pay for it. I'm sure many people will be happy to pay you. In 2020 we use 4K monitors. PERIOD. Your software doesn't support 4K monitors. PERIOD.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-06-15 23-11-52.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-15 23-11-52.png (128.88 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Last edited by sixpack on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnford

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 5:17 pm

sixpack wrote:Ubuntu 20.04 on 4K monitor.

DaVinci is unusable.

I will wait another month till August 2020, and if DaVinci doesn't RESOLVE this GUI issue, I will have to purge it from my life.

So DaVinci guys: I will pay for the full version, IF it looks perfect on my 4K monitor. Otherwise I don't understand all the hype about this software.

DaVinci developers: hear my shoutout: FIX THE BLOODY 4K GUI or stop developing software.

It is unusable. Not for people with cheap monitors, but for people with good monitors, which is ridiculous.

I've already given up on Resolve. This bug is at least 100 years old.

I wouldn't mind paying either, if they start addressing this ridiculous issue. Finally. Period.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:30 am

As far as I can tell High DPI support was added to QT in version 5.6 (release with LTS=long term support)
...in 2016

https://www.qt.io/blog/2016/03/16/qt-5-6-released

Luis Mendoza

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:42 am

HiDPI is supported in Resolve (Windows) The issue is with scaling in 4K+ displays. The UI is huge, at the point that is almost unusable. It doesn’t scale well, it goes from tinny (at 100% scaling) to very big at any other superior scaling options.

Many don’t notice but comparing with other apps like premiere, affinity photo, etc. (which scale well) is very apparent.

The problem is not present on macOS though.
Windows 10 Home
Davinci Resolve 16 beta 3
NVIDIA Titan X Pascal
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

peterjackson

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am

The worst thing is communication. While you see BM staff reply to trivialities all the time, there is nothing but silence on major issues like this.

Not sure what the idea behind that is. At best BM is demotivating their users to report issues leading to a less quality product.

Personally, I find it sad and disrespectful to have zero feedback, acknowledgement or basically any reaction for issues like this.

This is really the theme going on for years. The more serious the issue reported, you're guaranteed silence from BM. Doesn't mean they are not fixing it. Maybe at some point. Still, it's like talking to a wall. And not only talking, often users invest lot's of time to debug and create repos for issues and are usually rewarded with silence.

I certainly like BM as a company, but communication with their users certainly isn't a strength.
XPS 9750, i9-8950HK, 32GB, 2TB NVM, Intel 630, GTX 1050 Ti, 1080 Ti eGPU, Mini Monitor, BMCC4K. Versions: BIOS 1.7.0, Intel 630 24.20.100.6287, Nvidia 25.21.14.1881, Thunderbolt 17.4.77.13, Win10 Enterprise 10.0.17134.

MarcusWolschon

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 8:30 am

That's not only with professional and intermediate end users but also
with developers trying to use their SDKs and protocoll descriptions.

e.g. You still can't ask a Blackmagic camera via Bluetooth what firmware version it has
= what feature it supports and no longer supports
and there is still not even a documeted list of what exact names each camera identifies with.
Not to mention the crippled Resolve Python SDK with a tiny text file as "documentation" that
is 90% incomplete and 10% plain wrong.

herbiepowell

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I found instructions here on this youtube video (sorry it does not seem that I can post URL since I have just registered) Use the following ID after the "?v=" in a youtube URL: F_qgT9Nd1Dg
It addressed the HiDPI resolution problem.

The QT variables in the video above are:
export QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=true

Just launch resolve from within your term to test. It worked for me first time. You can adjust the way you launch Davinci Resolve based on your distro to have these QT variables added for each start.

HTH
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve