Fusion Audio

• Author

Jim Simon

Fusion Audio

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 pm

It'd be helpful if we could both see and hear audio in the Fusion page.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

Re: Fusion Audio

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm

Once we actually get audio on the Fusion page, we need to control it's monitoring volume. I think the following Feature Request would serve well here.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96327

To wit:

Fusion Volume.jpg
Fusion Volume.jpg (866.46 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Ashley Thomas

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:21 pm

+1 ... this would be nice.

Extra details about my current usage: When editing a photo montage using Fusion, it's cumbersome to flip back-and-forth to/from other tabs while tweaking fusion values to ensure affected fusion nuances are sync'ed with audio. When moving photos around in 3D space w/Fusion, it can be even more of a bear when wanting photos to move at certain cadences, in certain directions, with certain momentum along with music.

But really this seems as though it'd apply to any sync'ing, audio, music, photos, moving footage, and so forth.

Thanks,
Ashley

Derek Howard

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 pm

+1 Again for this.

The lack of audio preview really limits making any animation that needs to be tied to a voice over or music.

I've done a lot of motion graphics for ads with voice over and I can't consider using Fusion for that over After Effects until I could have a faster method of matching image to sound as I work. Which is a shame because I really love Fusion and greatly prefer it to AE.

MLanghausen

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

You could time out the audio with text generators in the edit page and place them on track 02, create a fusion clip with the content from V1 & V2 selected. The text generators will be your in/out queues for your animation.
ASUS Prime X299 - Deluxe II
Intel Core i9 7980XE
80 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA 3090Ti - Studio Driver
Intensity Pro 4k
Window 11 Pro

Resolve Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
Fusion Studio 17.3

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Nice trick Micheal! Very useful.

But I do hope the developers won't see that as the solution here. Seeing and hearing audio in Fusion is still an important feature to have, I think.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

RandyOK

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 pm

+1 on this!
To be able to time out effects in fusion to timeline audio cues would be great.
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 18.5.3
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

Alexandre Leclerc

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 6:49 pm

+1 for this feature.
It is a must in some use case, to sync action with sounds or speech.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12/24 Cores, 64 GB DDR4-3600, Radeon VII 16 GB, Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 2TB & 500GB SSD, Asus X570-PLUS.

John_H

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 6:11 pm

yes please!
Audio in Fusion standalone

Stranger92

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 3:41 pm

+1
Really hard to sync video to audio without the latter.

Gregory Douglas

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Being able to hear the audio while we work in Fusion is critical to being able to properly synch video with audio.

Mark Grgurev

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 7:40 pm

There's several problems I see with this.

First off, it seems like people in this topic are requesting two different things. Some want to be able to hear clips that are part of the composition. Like the following-

John_H wrote:"To be able to time out effects in fusion to timeline audio cues would be great.

Others want to be able to hear audio from the timeline while in Fusion.

RandyOK wrote:+1 on this!
To be able to time out effects in fusion to timeline audio cues would be great.

With others, it's ambiguous which they want.

These two suggestions aren't the same the thing. The former is needed, the latter is a bandage to one problem caused by Fusion's poor implementation into Resolve.

If you have a title open in Fusion, you won't even see the footage below it never mind hear it. That's because Fusion doesn't really work on a timeline scale, it works at a clip scale just like all other compositing software and that's fine. If audio from the timeline can be heard in Fusion then that's a bad thing because it means the compositions themselves would still exist within the timeline.

The problem with compositions existing within in the timeline is that very complex compositions can be accidentally be deleted during editing. You can save a composition to the bin to prevent that from happening but that's just a copy and there's no relation to them. This means that if you have the same composition used multiple times in the project, changing one won't propagate changes to the others. All copies are that composition are completely separate.

A better solution would be to take inspiration from Adobe's Essential Graphics or SideFX Houdini and create a panel that allows Fusion compositions to expose controls (start/end keyframe, position, colors, etc) to the Edit page without converting the composition into a macro. Doing this would allow a master composition whose changes would propagate to others and it would allow a bunch of parameters of the composition to be changed and keyframed within the Edit page.

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:hear clips that are part of the composition.

That was my intent with the original request. To hear the audio portion of any media actually in the Fusion Comp.

Combined with my second request (moving the Volume control), I think the needs of most would be well served.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mark Grgurev

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That was my intent with the original request. To hear the audio portion of any media actually in the Fusion Comp.

+1 then lol

Jim Simon wrote:Combined with my second request (moving the Volume control), I think the needs of most would be well served.

I've actually suggested something similar before but I thought adding it to the page navigation would be better since it's the volume for the program overall and having it in page navigation would keep it in one consistent spot. I'm not opposed to it being in the transport controls area though. That's still better than not having a volume slider in the Fusion page.

Derek Howard

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 3:46 pm

While having more integration of Fusion on the Edit page is great, my preference is primarily to be able to hear audio in Fusion during work there.

A reworked MediaIN node that supports audio could be great way to achieve this in Fusion. Especially if you could see both image and waveform (or waveform only if it's an audio only source).

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Derek Howard wrote:While having more integration of Fusion on the Edit page is great, my preference is primarily to be able to hear audio in Fusion during work there.

A reworked MediaIN node that supports audio could be great way to achieve this in Fusion. Especially if you could see both image and waveform (or waveform only if it's an audio only source).

Its out of the scope of this topic but, I actually feel that the Fusion page and Edit page should only really communicate via composition controls on the clip. MediaIns should only be used to represent arbitrary media or inputs and Loaders should replace MediaIns for an references to specific media. I go into it in this topic. The whole idea is to streamline Resolve to reduce the requirement of page changing and better conveying how Resolve actually works via it's interface.

Anyway, I don't want to veer the topic off-course. :-)

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 pm

Derek Howard wrote:A reworked MediaIN node that supports audio

That would do the job.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Timo92

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 1:05 am

+1
It's a necessity.

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 7:29 pm

COMING IN 17!!! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

halfmanhalfalligatorhalfshark

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 am

YES +1 +1 +1
never knew how much i used this in aftereffects/premiere until i couldn't have it
I'm losing my Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests