Unable to stream with ATEM Mini Pro directly on network

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

2xbass

Unable to stream with ATEM Mini Pro directly on network

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm

I am unable to stream when my ATEM Mini Pro is connected directly to my ethernet network. In this setup, I am able to control it from my computer, which is also on the network, and not connected to the Mini Pro by USB, but when I try to go on air the Mini Pro simply doesn’t start streaming.

I AM however, able to stream from the Mini Pro if I connect it to my computers’ ethernet port, and either share my computer’s Internet wifi connection or if I attach a second ethernet port on my computer, and share that.

There seems to be no easy way to debug why the ATEM Mini Pro can’t go on air when it is connected directly to the network. I’ve verified that through DHCP, or with a manual IP assignment, that it has the right gateway and DNS entries. And if I take that same ethernet that is plugged into my ATEM Mini Pro and plug it into my computer, my computer can get out to the Internet fine.

How do I debug this? Thanks for any help.

TonyThigpen

Re: Unable to stream with ATEM Mini Pro directly on network

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Back to basics.
Is the Mini-Pro set to use DHCP or hard-coded addresses?
Are you wired to the same hub/switch as the PC?
Does your pc and the Mini-Pro have addresses where the first 3 nodes are the same? (show us them)
Are the net-masks the same? (show us them)
Is the 'gateway address' the same? (show us)
Are the DNS addresses the same? (show us)
Tony

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:Back to basics.
Does your pc and the Mini-Pro have addresses where the first 3 nodes are the same? (show us them)
Tony

Hi Tony. I appreciate the quick response. I have tried both DHCP and hard-coded. Yes the Mini Pro is on the same switch as the PC. The gateway, masks, and DNS are all the same. Also, I have tried plugging the Mini Pro directly into my Internet connection (no switch) and it still can’t stream. To be clear, every physical network connection and network address/mask/gateway/DNS I have tried on the Mini Pro, works fine if I test the same connection and settings on my computer. There is no doubt that the Mini Pro is connected fine. I know because I can control it from my computer over ethernet when they are both connection to the switch. It’s just that, for some reason, it can’t go on air in that configuration.

It would be really helpful if there were some ways in ATEM Software Control to instruct the Mini Pro to do some basic tests to diagnose these kinds of situations to help determine why it can’t go on air. Thanks.

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 6:16 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:Back to basics.
Tony

Sorry, I missed the "show us" parts. So firstly, here is my setup on the ATEM Mini Pro when it is connected by USB:

Setup.png
Setup.png (151.94 KiB) Viewed 17372 times

Now when I unplug the USB connection, here is the Mini Pro with that address:

Configured.png
Configured.png (123.27 KiB) Viewed 17372 times

And here is the IP address on my computer along with terminal showing I can ping the Mini Pro. Again, to be clear, I can control the Mini Pro from my computer through the ethernet, with no USB, so the Mini Pro definitely has a connection.

However when I try to go on air it is not working. Again, it works fine if I plug the Mini Pro into computer and share the computer's Internet connection (either through wifi or a second ethernet). So there is something going on where the Mini Pro doesn't like the direct connection.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Computer.png
Computer.png (911.64 KiB) Viewed 17372 times

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Some more data:

When I have the Mini Pro connect directly to my network, there is something about it's connection that is not right, compared to how my computers are connecting to the network. Examples:

a) If I connect the Mini Pro directly to my Internet connection, with no hub/switch involved, I can get a connection but the Mini Pro can't go on air. Yet I can connect one of my computers to the same connection with the same IP parameters etc. and it can get out to the Internet fine.

b) If I connect a switch to my network, any computer on the switch can access the Internet. They can also see the Mini Pro. One of the computers running ATEM Software Control can control the Mini Pro (no USB involved) but again the Mini Pro can't go on air.

c) If I make the network a bit more complicated, and connect a wifi router to the Internet connection and then connect a switch to that, the Mini Pro and a computer connected to the switch can see each other, but a computer on the wifi network can only see the computer on the switch but can’t see the Mini Pro. The router diagnostics also do not see the Mini Pro but can see every other device on the router’s wifi as well as the switch. And again of course the Mini Pro can’t stream. This is further proof that there is something funny about the way the Mini Pro is connecting to at least my network. As I’ve mentioned, I can simplify the network down to virtually nothing and I can also have any computer successfully access the Internet in any place on a simple or slightly more complex network and it all works fine. There is something about the Mini Pro that is unusual.

The only ethernet setup I can make work is to connect the Mini Pro to my computer and share an Internet connection through there. However I bought the Mini Pro precisely to connect it directly to the network and don't want to have a situation where, if the computer crashes, that the Mini Pro loses its connection.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:14 pm

I do not think the ATEM Mini, or any ATEM can stream directly over the internet without a host computer making the connection. You should be able to connect the Mini to the host computer via a LAN on Ethernet RJ45 connection, but the video stream has to pass through the computer then to the world wide net.
You can do this with some of the NewTek Teicasters, but they have a computer built into them.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I do not think the ATEM Mini, or any ATEM can stream directly over the internet without a host computer making the connection. You should be able to connect the Mini to the host computer via a LAN on Ethernet RJ45 connection, but the video stream has to pass through the computer then to the world wide net.
Cheers

There are other people doing it including one thread here where someone mentioned it and there are YouTubers, including one whose livestream I was on the other day and who showed the setup, who are doing it. If it’s really not supported I’d like to hear from BM.

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:20 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I do not think the ATEM Mini, or any ATEM can stream directly over the internet without a host computer making the connection. You should be able to connect the Mini to the host computer via a LAN on Ethernet RJ45 connection, but the video stream has to pass through the computer then to the world wide net.
Cheers

If this configuration is really not supported, it should be much clearer because what it means is that a lot of people, who would not have two ethernet ports on their computer, would have to share the computer’s wifi connection through to the Mini Pro’s ethernet connection (to the computer). When we’re streaming it’s really preferable to be on ethernet but if the Mini Pro can’t stream directly through ethernet then it means the computer needs to have two ethernet ports with the Internet shared from one to the other which is what I’m doing now.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm

The ATEM Mini does not need to be connected directly to the computer, but it needs to be on the same LAN,with the computer, so it can connect to it via the LAN. You can use an internet switch, or better yet, a combined internet/router/switch which can setup a LAN for the computer, ATEM Mini and any other LAN connected devices. The ATEM Mini gets it streaming connection through the ATEM Control software, where the streaming XML file is located. You can use the Mini as a stand alone video switcher without the computer, but to get an internet stream going, you need a way to connect the Mini with an internet service provider, which is normally setup on the computer you are using to stream with.

Hope this helps, but I am not an expert on this either, we are all learning this together.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dmitrizigany

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 pm

This is just not true.
I've streamed with my ATEM Mini Pro directly just fine without a computer connected.

dmitrizigany

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Well, you need to get the settings to the ATEM Mini Pro from the Control Software, but after that you can disconnect the computer... no signal need to pass through the computer to stream directly from the Mini Pro...

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm

So once you have the Mini Pro configured by the ATEM software, you can stream directly via Ethernet RJ45 to a live streaming service or UTube with out going through a computer. How are you making an internet connection to the host?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:So once you have the Mini Pro configured by the ATEM software, you can stream directly via Ethernet RJ45 to a live streaming service or UTube with out going through a computer. How are you making an internet connection to the host?
Cheers

The Mini Pro has a streaming engine built in and it has an ethernet port. It should be able to do this. Whether it’s connected to the ethernet port of a computer (sharing it’s Internet connection to that port) or to the ethernet port of a switch/hub that has Internet on it, should not make any difference. It knows the gateway and it knows the DNS servers. It should work.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Thanks, sent a query to BMD to confirm this, will report back their reply.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:58 pm

It's so easy to get Mini and Mini Pro confused when talking about connections. So we are clear, the ATEM Mini would use a computer via the Webcam interface to stream over the USB connection. The ATEM Mini Pro can do this as well. The Mini Pro can also stream directly to the internet using the Ethernet connection. The setup for this is done via the computer, but once set up, the computer is not needed.

The OP seems to have done everything correctly but still cannot directly connect. The clue here is a direct connection is made when using Internet Sharing but not directly. To the ATEM Mini, there is no difference in how it works, so I feel the Mini is working correctly in this case. But there remains the problem. Not to make things complicated, I'll pass along this from another thread where a user had a special configuration on their Router causing this. I'm not an IT person but it might be worth a check. The core router was set to the wrong MTU due to an old special program. The Mini now works perfectly after setting MTU to 1500. This may or may not be the problem, but worth a check. And I would use DHCP in the ATEM Mini just for testing to make sure it works this way first.

I hope this helps. Stay safe.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 pm

as usual i'm sure we aren't getting the whole story here. if turning on internet sharing allows it to work, then WHAT internet is being shared? you can't share internet from the ethernet port back to the same ethernet port. this isn't an option in internet sharing so there must be other internet (wifi, other port?) being shared here. good luck sussing this one out :-) and where's the new streaming forum section???
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Gary Adams wrote:I'll pass along this from another thread where a user had a special configuration on their Router causing this. I'm not an IT person but it might be worth a check. The core router was set to the wrong MTU due to an old special program. The Mini now works perfectly after setting MTU to 1500. This may or may not be the problem, but worth a check. And I would use DHCP in the ATEM Mini just for testing to make sure it works this way first.

Thanks Gary. I had actually seen that thread and had posted in there originally. Unfortunately neither my hub nor my switch have any way to set the MTU and I’ve never had to do this for any other device. I have also found the ATEM Mini to be very finicky with getting an address by DHCP. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. In theory it really shouldn’t matter how it got the address. Once it has an address and connection, the fact that I can control it from my computer over the ethernet (through the switch) means it clearly is communicating fine with the network. It’s just very finicky with regards to communicating with the Internet through that connection. The MTU is potentially one of those things it is sensitive to. There is another possibility which is that it is really not getting the right gateway or DNS despite the fact that I’ve given those settings to it.

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:08 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:as usual i'm sure we aren't getting the whole story here. if turning on internet sharing allows it to work, then WHAT internet is being shared? you can't share internet from the ethernet port back to the same ethernet port. this isn't an option in internet sharing so there must be other internet (wifi, other port?) being shared here. good luck sussing this one out :-) and where's the new streaming forum section???

Actually I think I’ve been very detailed in describing the setup. I never said I was sharing the Internet connection from the computer’s ethernet back to its ethernet as that would obviously not make sense. If you check my previous posts, I mentioned that I’ve made it work in two configurations.

a) I plug the Mini Pro into the computer’s built-in ethernet and I share the computer’s Internet wifi connection to that ethernet port. The Mini Pro can stream fine.

b) I plug the Mini Pro into the computer’s built-in ethernet and I plug a second ethernet connection into the computer (a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter). I then share the computer’s Internet connection from that Thunderbolt ethernet adapter to it’s built-in ethernet. The Mini Pro can stream fine.
Last edited by 2xbass on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for chiming in Gary. That makes sense, so the Pro has a small purpose built computer built in it, and the XML file has all the stream routing info in it.

Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

2xbass

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:23 pm

Gary Adams wrote:I'll pass along this from another thread where a user had a special configuration on their Router causing this. I'm not an IT person but it might be worth a check. The core router was set to the wrong MTU due to an old special program. The Mini now works perfectly after setting MTU to 1500. This may or may not be the problem, but worth a check. And I would use DHCP in the ATEM Mini just for testing to make sure it works this way first.

I should also mention that if it’s really true that the Mini Pro is very finicky with the MTU then this appears to be something I’d have to change in my Internet router because I’ve tried plugging the Mini Pro directly into that and still no success. In any case I don’t have any ability to make that change and I have a whole network of other devices that work fine. Apart from the fact that things are not working for me one of my main gripes it that it’s too difficult to debug this because there’s no diagnostics or additional status in the Mini Pro to help figure out what it’s having trouble with. For example, once it has been configured with the network info via USB, if you unplug the USB and look at the Mini Pro’s settings through the ethernet connection, it only shows the address it has and doesn’t show that it also has the gateway and DNS entries. Perhaps they are also supposed to be listed there and their absence means it didn’t get them or perhaps they just don’t show them. In any case it doesn’t help with debugging.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Thanks for chiming in Gary. That makes sense, so the Pro has a small purpose built computer built in it, and the HTML file has all the stream routing info in it.
Cheers

YEs .. But it was described in BMD promo video .. PRO expanding MINI with build-IN H264 encoder .. Whitch is used for direct streaming via ethernet and recording wia USB onto usb disk (both use same H264 encoder) ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

TonyThigpen

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 am

Can you show us the rest of the network settings on the Mini-Pro?
Using a shared connection can 'correct' some settings like net-mask and gateway.
Also, check and make sure you do not have 'Jumbo Frames' set 'on' in your router.
Tony T.

Denny Smith

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Thanks for chiming in Gary. That makes sense, so the Pro has a small purpose built computer built in it, and the HTML file has all the stream routing info in it.
Cheers

YEs .. But it was described in BMD promo video .. PRO expanding MINI with build-IN H264 encoder .. Whitch is used for direct streaming via ethernet and recording wia USB onto usb disk (both use same H264 encoder) ..

I got that part Roman, but missed that the XML file included the needed routing address setup to connect on line directly.But, I got it now. Thanks.
Cheers
Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:25 am

TonyThigpen wrote:Can you show us the rest of the network settings on the Mini-Pro?
Using a shared connection can 'correct' some settings like net-mask and gateway.
Also, check and make sure you do not have 'Jumbo Frames' set 'on' in your router.
Tony T.

Tony, that's all there is to show. To be clear, in the post above with the screenshots, I showed you the settings I gave the Mini Pro with the USB connected and then I pulled the USB and it was connected only by ethernet (to the switch) with the IP address I gave it. But that's all it shows. It doesn't anything else like the mask, gateway or DNS. Is that an indication there is a problem with those other settings? I don't know but I don't think so because...

When I connect the Mini Pro to my computer's ethernet, and I look at the settings (without the USB connection) I see the same thing with just an IP address. And in that configuration it all works fine and I can stream from the Mini Pro. So this like it is normal that it shows only the IP address, even though it's definitely not helpful.

For someone else who has their Mini Pro connected only with ethernet (and no USB), when you go into the "Configure" tab in the setup, does it only show just the IP address and nothing else?

No "Jumbo Frames" set here to my knowledge but I can't be sure. I have no way to check such things and no way to change any defaults on the various networking gear I have.

TonyThigpen

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Sorry. Missed the scroll bar where you pasted a picture of the IP settings in your previous post. I was only seeing the iP address and not the other stuff.
The Jumbo Frames setting would be in your router.
My Mini-Pro has not yet shipped from B&H, but your network settings panel appears to be different from what I have in my current non-Pro Mini. I have more, non-network stuff that I can scroll down to. (Now, if I just had my Pro.)
Tony T.

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:43 pm

goran diffner wrote:If you still need a laptop to fire it up what is the use of direct streaming from the mini? I also watched a live stream the other day with someone doing directcstreaming and the quality was worse than what I could stream with an intensity pro card and fmle like 8 years ago.

For one thing if the computer crashes the Mini Pro will keep on streaming. It also reduces the load on the computer or reduces the system requirements for whatever computer you need. I’ve also found the streaming engine to be very solid and putting out a pretty high-quality stream.

David_Anderson

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:24 pm

I've tried to follow along as best I could. What if you set the Mini Pro to DHCP? Can you share those results?

Set it to DHCP, connect USB, verify what IP it is receiving and then see if you can stream via that.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
goran diffner wrote:If you still need a laptop to fire it up what is the use of direct streaming from the mini? I also watched a live stream the other day with someone doing directcstreaming and the quality was worse than what I could stream with an intensity pro card and fmle like 8 years ago.

For one thing if the computer crashes the Mini Pro will keep on streaming. It also reduces the load on the computer or reduces the system requirements for whatever computer you need. I’ve also found the streaming engine to be very solid and putting out a pretty high-quality stream.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:31 pm

David_Anderson wrote:I've tried to follow along as best I could. What if you set the Mini Pro to DHCP? Can you share those results?

Set it to DHCP, connect USB, verify what IP it is receiving and then see if you can stream via that.

David, unfortunately while DHCP can be used with the Mini Pro connected to my computer’s ethernet port, when I have it plugged in directly to the switch, it gets useless settings from DHCP. If I take the same cable and plug it into my computer it gets an address with all the right details without any problem. That’s why I’m having to assign it manually. In any case it really shouldn’t be the issue as the settings I’ve given it are identical to those the computer has (except for the actual IP address) and the computer can get out fine to the Internet.

TonyThigpen

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 pm

I am beginning to suspect that your network is not a simple one with just a router, hub/switch and devices. I am starting to think that you have multiple networks and may or may not know it. And, your WiFi is not on the same network as your physical Cat5.
Plug your PC into the Cat5 and see what DHCP addresses and gateways are assigned.
Tony T

David_Anderson

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:47 pm

If it is getting a 169.x.x.x then the Mini pro is not receiving DHCP from the host. I would try moving the Mini to another network to see if it gets DHCP. If it won't even get that, it may be a defective unit. It sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting possible. It is possible that the router that hands out DHCP has blocked the MAC address of the Mini. Depending on your ISP you may be able to login to that router and reset that or call the ISP.

My contact info is in my signature if I can be of assistance.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:I've tried to follow along as best I could. What if you set the Mini Pro to DHCP? Can you share those results?

David, unfortunately while DHCP can be used with the Mini Pro connected to my computer’s ethernet port, when I have it plugged in directly to the switch, it gets useless settings from DHCP. If I take the same cable and plug it into my computer it gets an address with all the right details without any problem. That’s why I’m having to assign it manually. In any case it really shouldn’t be the issue as the settings I’ve given it are identical to those the computer has (except for the actual IP address) and the computer can get out fine to the Internet.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:I am beginning to suspect that your network is not a simple one with just a router, hub/switch and devices. I am starting to think that you have multiple networks and may or may not know it. And, your WiFi is not on the same network as your physical Cat5.
Plug your PC into the Cat5 and see what DHCP addresses and gateways are assigned.
Tony T

I’m very willing to have this be a problem with my network but that’s why, as I mentioned in some of the previous posts, I’ve tried pulling out every other possible device. I’ve tried:

a) Mini Pro connected directly to my Internet router. Nothing else on the network. No switch or hub. Can’t stream.

b) Mini Pro connected to wifi hub. Can’t stream.

c) Mini Pro connected to switch which is connected to Internet router. Computer also connected to the switch. Can’t stream. Computer works fine.

I’ll do some more testing today but I’ve been working with networking gear for decades and I can’t help but think there’s a problem with the device or there’s something that needs to be fixed in firmware to handle certain cases where it is not handling certain networks. Unfortunately it’s not easy to easy to determine what those parameters might be as there’s no diagnostics at all and not much in the way of status except to say that it got an address.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

David_Anderson

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:05 pm

Please feel free to call me and we can do a zoom to see if I can help you out.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
TonyThigpen wrote:I am beginning to suspect that your network is not a simple one with just a router, hub/switch and devices. I am starting to think that you have multiple networks and may or may not know it. And, your WiFi is not on the same network as your physical Cat5.
Tony T

I’m very willing to have this be a problem with my network but that’s why, as I mentioned in some of the previous posts, I’ve tried pulling out every other possible device. I’ve tried:

a) Mini Pro connected directly to my Internet router. Nothing else on the network. No switch or hub. Can’t stream.

b) Mini Pro connected to wifi hub. Can’t stream.

c) Mini Pro connected to switch which is connected to Internet router. Computer also connected to the switch. Can’t stream. Computer works fine.

I’ll do some more testing today but I’ve been working with networking gear for decades and I can’t help but think there’s a problem with the device or there’s something that needs to be fixed in firmware to handle certain cases where it is not handling certain networks. Unfortunately it’s not easy to easy to determine what those parameters might be as there’s no diagnostics at all and not much in the way of status except to say that it got an address.

I appreciate all the suggestions.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Eric-Jan

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Without USB connection the Atem mini Pro can't control the network settings/communication of the Atem software on the computer ? (that's what the 2 screencaptures tell me....)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Without USB connection the Atem mini Pro can't control the network settings/communication of the Atem software on the computer ? (that's what the 2 screencaptures tell me....)

That’s correct but you can make the changes and then pull the cable out. That definitely works and because I can control the Mini Pro by ethernet (with no USB) I know that part works.

timgregory

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:01 pm

Are you on a network where IT admin needs to allow the mac addresses of devices for them to access the internet?

2xbass

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm

timgregory wrote:Are you on a network where IT admin needs to allow the mac addresses of devices for them to access the internet?

No it’s just my home network. I’m going to try some other options today including going and getting a completely different hub but the fact that the device is so finicky is concerning. For any situation I’ve tried where it either can’t get an address through DHCP and/or can’t stream, I can put any one of five different computers on that same ethernet port and I can get an address and I can connect to the Internet. I agree it would be ideal that it would be ideal for the Mini Pro to work with DHCP on the network but it really shouldn’t be required to make it work as long as it is taking the manually supplied settings.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Without USB connection the Atem mini Pro can't control the network settings/communication of the Atem software on the computer ? (that's what the 2 screencaptures tell me....)

NO U can control Atem mini PRo with ethernet .. when U connect USB disk , u cant connect with computer wia USB ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

2xbass

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 1:01 am

So I've just completed exhaustive testing with my Mini Pro after buying and trying it with yet a fourth router and the results are disappointing:

1) SIMPLEST CASE: Mini Pro connected directly to Internet modem
a) Can't get DHCP address
b) When assigned an address manually, it can't stream and I suspect it is never actually even getting a connection (see other cases below)

2) MY ORIGINAL NETWORK: Mini Pro connected to ethernet port of original wifi router (which is also connected to the Internet modem by its uplink ethernet port)
b) When assigned an address manually, the router shows that it never connects

3) REPLACE ROUTER WITH SWITCH WITH NO WIFI: Mini Pro connected to switch connected to Internet modem
b) When assigned an address manually, it can be controlled by my computer over the ethernet (no USB) which is very promising but still can't stream

4) NEW ROUTER: Mini Pro connected to new router connected to Internet modem
b) When assigned an address manually, the router shows that it never connects

5) CONNECTED TO COMPUTER WITH TWO ETHERNET PORTS: Mini Pro connected to second (Thunderbolt) ethernet port on my computer and computer connected with built-in ethernet to anything be it Internet modem, router, switch connected to router, or whatever, and with computer sharing that Internet connection to the Thunderbolt ethernet port
SUCCESS! Mini Pro can stream

Basically at least my Mini Pro is EXTREMELY finicky and I have to wonder whether there is something faulty. There are also at least two other configurations I tested including with one other router as well.

For every case where I plug the Mini Pro into a network device and it either can't get an address by DHCP, or can't get a connection, or can't stream, I can plug five different computers into the same cable and they get an address and have no issues using the connection. I've tried the most simple cases to rule out problematic network devices.

I've now bought a new switch and a new router to try to rule out possible problems and none of them help the situation but yet any computer I have is fine with any of the above configurations.

TonyThigpen

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:19 am

Are you, or do you have any friends, with wireshark knowledge?
Have you tried different Cat6 rated cables?
I think it's time to call BMD about a repair.
(FYI, Just found out my Mini Pro is shipping tomorrow.)

Tony T.

2xbass

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 am

TonyThigpen wrote:Are you, or do you have any friends, with wireshark knowledge?
Have you tried different Cat6 rated cables?
I think it's time to call BMD about a repair.
(FYI, Just found out my Mini Pro is shipping tomorrow.)

Downloading Wireshark now :) Good luck with your Mini Pro and thanks for all your input here. I will be interested to see how you go getting yours on the network. At least I can stream through my computer's connection but still using the Mini Pro's streaming engine. I like the idea of taking the streaming load off the computer.

FredBauer

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Looking at the screen shots, when you manually configure an address does it also let you configure netmask, gateway, and DNS? I would hope so, but if it doesn't at least have the gateway that could explain why it would work through the PC but not directly.

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 1:46 pm

FredBauer wrote:Looking at the screen shots, when you manually configure an address does it also let you configure netmask, gateway, and DNS? I would hope so, but if it doesn't at least have the gateway that could explain why it would work through the PC but not directly.

Fred, it does let you configure mask and gateway (but not DNS but it shows the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ones) but for some reason it doesn’t show all the additional details when you connect with USB. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that that is normal since when I connect it to my computer’s ethernet port and it gets a DHCP connection and can stream fine, that it still only shows the IP address and nothing else. The fact that it is not showing all the details definitely is not helpful.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Simplest test:

Plug in Mini to PC - set to DHCP.
Plug PC into new router - make sure PC gets DHCP address
Plug mini into new router (doesn't have to be connected to internet)

If the PC gets a DHCP from the brand new router and the Mini doesn't I'd call support. It sounds like you have a defective mini.

The router doesn't have to be connected to the internet - basically we just want to see if the Mini can get DHCP from ANY DHCP source.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
FredBauer wrote:Looking at the screen shots, when you manually configure an address does it also let you configure netmask, gateway, and DNS? I would hope so, but if it doesn't at least have the gateway that could explain why it would work through the PC but not directly.

Fred, it does let you configure mask and gateway (but not DNS but it shows the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ones) but for some reason it doesn’t show all the additional details when you connect with USB. I believe, but am not 100% sure, that that is normal since when I connect it to my computer’s ethernet port and it gets a DHCP connection and can stream fine, that it still only shows the IP address and nothing else. The fact that it is not showing all the details definitely is not helpful.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm

David_Anderson wrote:Simplest test:

If the PC gets a DHCP from the brand new router and the Mini doesn't I'd call support. It sounds like you have a defective mini.

The router doesn't have to be connected to the internet - basically we just want to see if the Mini can get DHCP from ANY DHCP source.

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

Hi David. I’ve already done those tests and the Mini can never get an address through DHCP on anything other than the computer’s ethernet port. That’s trying with four different hubs. In every case any computer I try on the same port with the same cable can get an address just fine.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm

I think you have a defective unit. It shouldn't be this hard. Looking back through this thread I don't see at any time where your Mini got a DHCP address. The only time it worked was when you had it set to static and then routed through a PC. Is that correct?

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:Simplest test:

Hope this helps.

Best,

David

Hi David. I’ve already done those tests and the Mini can never get an address through DHCP on anything other than the computer’s ethernet port. That’s trying with four different hubs. In every case any computer I try on the same port with the same cable can get an address just fine.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:57 pm

David_Anderson wrote:I think you have a defective unit. It shouldn't be this hard. Looking back through this thread I don't see at any time where your Mini got a DHCP address. The only time it worked was when you had it set to static and then routed through a PC. Is that correct?

I agree it shouldn’t be this hard.

The only time it ever gets a DHCP address and can stream is when it is connected to my computer’s ethernet port which also means the computer needs to share the Internet connection through a second ethernet port or its wifi.

There is one case where I can statically assign an address, which is when the computer and Mini Pro are on a switch, and in this case it will get a connection, and I can control it from my computer (no USB) but it can’t stream so it probably doesn’t have the right gateway but it’s impossible to know since you can’t get those details from it when you connect to it via USB.

Every other case, even when given a static address, it actually doesn’t even connect. I can tell this by looking at the hub it is connected to and seeing that it doesn’t appear in the list of devices.

As you say, it shouldn’t be this hard. I have many other devices I can attach by ethernet with the same cable and none of them act this way.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Unless the computer you are connecting it to is a DHCP server there is no possible way for it to get a DHCP address. In the one example you showed, it was a static configuration. I just want to be clear that your Mini when set to DHCP mode NEVER gets a DHCP assigned address.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:I think you have a defective unit. It shouldn't be this hard. Looking back through this thread I don't see at any time where your Mini got a DHCP address. The only time it worked was when you had it set to static and then routed through a PC. Is that correct?

I agree it shouldn’t be this hard.

The only time it ever gets a DHCP address and can stream is when it is connected to my computer’s ethernet port which also means the computer needs to share the Internet connection through a second ethernet port or its wifi.

There is one case where I can statically assign an address, which is when the computer and Mini Pro are on a switch, and in this case it will get a connection, and I can control it from my computer (no USB) but it can’t stream so it probably doesn’t have the right gateway but it’s impossible to know since you can’t get those details from it when you connect to it via USB.

Every other case, even when given a static address, it actually doesn’t even connect. I can tell this by looking at the hub it is connected to and seeing that it doesn’t appear in the list of devices.

As you say, it shouldn’t be this hard. I have many other devices I can attach by ethernet with the same cable and none of them act this way.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 pm

David_Anderson wrote:Unless the computer you are connecting it to is a DHCP server there is no possible way for it to get a DHCP address. In the one example you showed, it was a static configuration. I just want to be clear that your Mini when set to DHCP mode NEVER gets a DHCP assigned address.

So that’s a good question and thanks for helping to clarify. It certainly never gets a DHCP address when connected to any networking hub that has a DHCP server. Now when I connect to my computer’s built-in ethernet port or a Thunderbolt ethernet adaptor, it is getting an address. The computer is obviously not a DHCP server for the same subnet it is on otherwise that would be causing all kinds of troubles. However it COULD be a DHCP server for a different subnet (which is used purely for that ethernet port).When I plug it into the computer’s port (either of them) it definitely does get an address by DHCP every time and it streams perfectly.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:18 pm

So what IP address is it getting when you plug it into the computers ethernet port?

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:Unless the computer you are connecting it to is a DHCP server there is no possible way for it to get a DHCP address. In the one example you showed, it was a static configuration. I just want to be clear that your Mini when set to DHCP mode NEVER gets a DHCP assigned address.

So that’s a good question and thanks for helping to clarify. It certainly never gets a DHCP address when connected to any networking hub that has a DHCP server. Now when I connect to my computer’s built-in ethernet port or a Thunderbolt ethernet adaptor, it is getting an address. The computer is obviously not a DHCP server for the same subnet it is on otherwise that would be causing all kinds of troubles. However it COULD be a DHCP server for a different subnet (which is used purely for that ethernet port).When I plug it into the computer’s port (either of them) it definitely does get an address by DHCP every time and it streams perfectly.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 3:24 pm

David_Anderson wrote:So what IP address is it getting when you plug it into the computers ethernet port?

I’ll let you know shortly when I get back to my studio but I recall it is somewhat odd and the mask is a “partial” one but it does all work. Thinking more about this, my guess is that, not only can’t get the unit get an address by DHCP (whatever the Mac is doing to give out an address on one of its ethernet ports aside) but I am starting to think the Mini Pro can only function when it gets an address by DHCP. Really it should not matter if it gets a static assignment as long as that assignment has all the correct details, doesn’t conflict, etc. One thing that makes me think this is that on p. 83 of the manual it says:

NOTE ATEM Mini Pro is slightly different as it doesn’t have a set IP address. That is because ATEM Mini Pro is designed to use the dynamic host configuration protocol and has DHCP set as the default IP setting. Once the DHCP has assigned the unit an IP address, you can see this address in Blackmagic ATEM Setup’s network settings. This is helpful when you are connecting an ATEM hardware panel to an ATEM Mini Pro so you can tell the hardware panel the switcher’s assigned IP address.

Now when they say “is designed to use” it’s not clear what that means. I believe it just means that out of the box it has no default IP address whereas the standard ATEM Mini does ship with one.
Next

Return to Live Production