Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jukka Tallinen

Re: Official

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 am

rick.lang wrote:So sweet, Jukka. Perhaps you’ll post more someday... say a two hour feature.

Thank you Rick. Working on it actually, but as expected the talents are stuck halfway around the world :|
Stay safe & inspired.
www.jukkatallinen.com

rick.lang

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:57 am

Thanks for the reminder of what’s most important.

It’s seems our cinematography life is on hold in terms of production where a crew and cast is required. Disappointing, but staying alive just means some things are going to be “better late than never.” We can use the pause in our plans to be sure our next projects are the better for it.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks for the reminder of what’s most important.

We can use the pause in our plans to be sure our next projects are the better for it.

Yes, this 100%.
I've been taking time to delve into mastering Color Grading, camera movement, script writing, etc.
Before, i would take an idea and want to go implement it ASAP. now, i'm forced to mull over it and really craft something great with reproofs.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 5:55 pm

Add to the list: (with lots of help from Rakesh and others) learning how to multi-camera shoot with the URSA Mini 4.6K and the BMPCC4K and the MixPre-6 II and the ATEM Mini Pro and a MultiView monitor all in video and audio sync.
Rick Lang

Jeffrey Chance

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 3:02 am

Jukka Tallinen wrote:Couple of national tvc's for a jewellery brand. UM46K & P4K.

holy **** this is great; do you mind telling us more about how you lit this/ lensed it?

Jukka Tallinen

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 11:45 am

Jeffrey Chance wrote:holy **** this is great; do you mind telling us more about how you lit this/ lensed it?

Thanks Jeffrey. We used mostly Aputure lights, LS120D with a dome, couple of LS1S through Skylite scrims (0.75, 1.25 stop), Ikea bedsheet for windows. Very basic tools used creatively. The wall texture in the first video was made with a LS120D through a chandelier.

We shot four commercials with four sets in one day so we had to work rather quickly. I have a great guy Akseli doing lighting, http://www.akselimuraja.com.

I used Zeiss ZF 50 2.0 and 25mm in couple of shots in the rocking chair video, otherwise its all Sigma Art 18-35 and 28-70. Shot in Prores and all post production done in Resolve. I direct and shoot and very much enjoy the simplicity of Blackmagic cameras, one button to turn on the thing and start/stop is plenty for what I do :)

Below is a bts video and here are some bts pics: https://www.tallistudio.com/work/lumoava

www.jukkatallinen.com

Jeffrey Chance

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Jukka Tallinen wrote:
Jeffrey Chance wrote:holy **** this is great; do you mind telling us more about how you lit this/ lensed it?

Thanks Jeffrey. We used mostly Aputure lights, LS120D with a dome, couple of LS1S through Skylite scrims (0.75, 1.25 stop), Ikea bedsheet for windows. Very basic tools used creatively. The wall texture in the first video was made with a LS120D through a chandelier.

We shot four commercials with four sets in one day so we had to work rather quickly. I have a great guy Akseli doing lighting, http://www.akselimuraja.com.

I used Zeiss ZF 50 2.0 and 25mm in couple of shots in the rocking chair video, otherwise its all Sigma Art 18-35 and 28-70. Shot in Prores and all post production done in Resolve. I direct and shoot and very much enjoy the simplicity of Blackmagic cameras, one button to turn on the thing and start/stop is plenty for what I do :)

Below is a bts video and here are some bts pics: https://www.tallistudio.com/work/lumoava

Lovely! Relatively simple setup for such gorgeous results

KonradRussegger

PostSun Apr 12, 2020 6:21 am

My 1st try on a kind of short film.
Shot on Nikon Z6 / Atomos Ninja 5 in ProRes 422
Edit an grading using Resolve 16
Interested to hear your comments.
Stay save

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Adam Langdon

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 12:06 pm

What started out as a lens test turned into a prelude for a short film I’m working on. I ended up pushing the low light capabilities of my Ursa Mini Pro.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 1:34 am

Here's the hotel commercial shot back in January. Mixture of UMPG2, Pocket 4K, and a DJI Mavic Drone.

And, here's the official video from the marketing company: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Fc8nXpcF6 ... _copy_link
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 5:06 am

My 1st try on a kind of short film... Interested to hear your comments.
Stay safe.

Superb, Konrad. We want more!
Rick Lang

Adam Silver

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 3:34 pm

KonradRussegger wrote:
My 1st try on a kind of short film.
Shot on Nikon Z6 / Atomos Ninja 5 in ProRes 422
Edit an grading using Resolve 16
Interested to hear your comments.
Stay save

Nice job Konrad. Good story and great cinematography.

morecroft

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 6:00 am

Todd Davies wrote:Hi all,

Just some stills shot this on the weekend with the BMCC with a 16-35mm f2.8l in ProRes. All shot in 25fps and graded only from the film original in FCPX.

BMCC 6.jpg

BMCC 5.jpg

BMCC 4.jpg

very cool shot !

Abhirajnair23123

MADHA FILM

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 6:42 am

HI EVERYONE, I AM A DP FROM INDIA, SHOT A FEATURE FILM WITH BLACK MAGIC URSA MINI, IT IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON PRIME.
Attachments
29744492_1773701629355533_4524460638746183734_o.jpg
29744492_1773701629355533_4524460638746183734_o.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 15813 times

ghobbs

MUSTANG

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm

An unlikely voice on his navigation radio throws a WWII fighter pilot into a tailspin as thoughts of a lost love renew his resolve to fight.

Shot on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.
Edited, mixed, composited, and finished in DaVinci Resolve + Fusion.

Background

This is a project I recently put together for my old 7th-grade history teacher (from back in the day). The book trailer was written, storyboarded, produced, directed, designed, built, planned, shot, edited, and finished by me, based on trailer concepts by John J. Dwyer and scenes from the book. Gimbaled cockpit fabricated at Dallas Makerspace with tons of generous help from David Schirato and other members at the space, without whom I am sure I never would have completed this project.

The gimbaled cockpit was obviously inspired by the one used in the movie Dunkirk, and featured pitch, yaw and roll; a cockpit-area mockup of a P-51C based closely on original North American Aviation engineering drawings; and a practical mockup of an instrument panel with working pneumatic and electronic components that could be driven either directly by gimbal movement or via a custom iPad control surface.

More trouble than it was worth? Maybe.

But I learned a lot.

Stills

4-shots.jpg
Stills
4-shots.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 15583 times

Cockpit construction timelapse

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Fantastic, Grant! What a memorable project and so well executed.
Rick Lang

robedge

Re: MUSTANG

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 6:50 pm

ghobbs wrote:An unlikely voice on his navigation radio throws a WWII fighter pilot into a tailspin as thoughts of a lost love renew his resolve to fight.

Background

This is a project I recently put together for my old 7th-grade history teacher (from back in the day). The book trailer was written, storyboarded, produced, directed, designed, built, planned, shot, edited, and finished by me, based on trailer concepts by John J. Dwyer and scenes from the book. Gimbaled cockpit fabricated at Dallas Makerspace with tons of generous help from David Schirato and other members at the space, without whom I am sure I never would have completed this project.

The gimbaled cockpit was obviously inspired by the one used in the movie Dunkirk, and featured pitch, yaw and roll; a cockpit-area mockup of a P-51C based closely on original North American Aviation engineering drawings; and a practical mockup of an instrument panel with working pneumatic and electronic components that could be driven either directly by gimbal movement or via a custom iPad control surface.

But I learned a lot.

Stills

4-shots.jpg

Post this on the X-Plane forum and you’ll be a hero. There’s a Mustang modeled for X-Plane, and a lot of simulator fanatics actually build cockpits :)

ghobbs

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 9:59 pm

rick.lang wrote:Fantastic, Grant! What a memorable project and so well executed.

Thank you, Rick!

robedge wrote:Post this on the X-Plane forum and you’ll be a hero. There’s a Mustang modeled for X-Plane, and a lot of simulator fanatics actually build cockpits :)

Haha, I met some of those people through this project—they are indeed very passionate. Actually, it would probably be fun to convert the gimbal and/or cockpit for use as an X-Plane simulator at some point. A few people have offered thoughts on motorizing the gimbal already. But of course the current movie prop version is a far cry from a full-blown sim pit.

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 am

ghobbs wrote:An unlikely voice on his navigation radio throws a WWII fighter pilot into a tailspin as thoughts of a lost love renew his resolve to fight.

Background

But I learned a lot.

Stills

4-shots.jpg

Huh, I watched this 2 months ago and was impressed. And, I see you finally responded to my comment on Vimeo. Again, great job!

Ric Murray

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 pm

My updated reel for Summer 2020

Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Tbaker

What’s Going On. Quarantine video

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:38 pm

I recorded this with my girlfriends daughter in my studio last week . Shot with 2 Pc4k. I’m still a beginner but working to get better Any critique welcome. This of course is what I call quick and dirty

robedge

Re: What’s Going On. Quarantine video

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Tbaker wrote:I recorded this with my girlfriends daughter in my studio last week . Shot with 2 Pc4k. I’m still a beginner but working to get better Any critique welcome. This of course is what I call quick and dirty

Hi Tim,

Did you record that on tape? If so, as a matter of curiosity which recorder and how did you do the digital transfer?

The following comments respond to your request for critiques.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be that the guitar, except for the solo, should remain in its accompaniment role. It's pretty far forward, visually but especially acoustically. I think that it is competing with, rather than supporting, the vocal, and that the reverb is contributing to the problem. If you agree, as you know it's easy to change the relationship between the guitar and the vocal/reverb from a sound perspective.

I would follow through with the same comment visually. I think that the video should be about the singer and her performance, and that there are shots that detract from rather than support that, including at the end, when what we see is the guitarist, with a brief glimpse of her almost as an afterthought.

I don't think that it would make a difference, but I should note that my perception of the sound is based on listening via headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro open back) rather than speakers.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Timothy, that’s a very good start to a music video. You’ve done very well with the tools you have in the studio! I agree with robedge in terms of the rhythm guitar which is better as light background except when it’s the lead guitar.

But I think this is just a beginning and I’m sure you are up to the challenge: to balance out the singer and instrument, it would be wonderful to take the cameras outside and record some things that help visualize the lyrics, show us the empty streets, show us people social distancing, show us longing, show us the weather, show us spring flowers, show us wondering, show us grieving, show us found love. That’s all!
Rick Lang

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Grant. That’s hell of a “showreel”. It really shows what can be done with hard work and mind on details. The sound design is epic as well. Looking forward seeing more from you.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:28 am

That tape deck looked like a multi-track audio recorder. Sweet video.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

robedge

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:16 pm

Denny Smith wrote:That tape deck looked like a multi-track audio recorder.

It looks like it’s a 16-track version of an MCI JH-16 or JH-24 tape machine.

Wikipedia, Music Center Incorporated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Center_Incorporated

Mara Machines (MCI restorations): https://maramachines.com/

Vintage King/Mara Machines videos:

Part I

Part II

KonradRussegger

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Tim, I find the 2 perspectives a bit confusing. It’s almost the same framing - just from the opposite side. Would suggest a different framing as a second perspective. Perhaps a wider shot where you can see the singer and the guitar player in the background (if it is possible)

Henchman

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Video I made this week of a cover of the song "My best friends girl"

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

rick.lang

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Mark, lots of fun there but, “she’s so fine, she should be mine.” And I’m not talking about your best friend’s girl!
Rick Lang

Henchman

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 am

Here's a short video of before and after color I did in Resolve of the above video.

Henchman

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:36 am

Here's another music video I did for a friend.
These are pretty much all solo shoots.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Henchman wrote:Here's another music video I did for a friend.
These are pretty much all solo shoots.

Gorgeous.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Alibi is very impactful; good work, Mark. What off-speed frame rate and project frame rate were used?
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Very nice indeed Mark, nice recording studio setup also.
Cheers
Denny
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tbaker

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Yep its a 16 track Mara Machine old MCI

robedge wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:That tape deck looked like a multi-track audio recorder.

It looks like it’s a 16-track version of an MCI JH-16 or JH-24 tape machine.

Wikipedia, Music Center Incorporated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Center_Incorporated

Mara Machines (MCI restorations): https://maramachines.com/

Vintage King/Mara Machines videos:

Part I

Part II

Tbaker

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback! from everyone! Yes I agree its not the best job of setting up the shots etc We were pressed for time and I had mom in the control room running the tape machine for us and I was doing the camera work.

Personally from a musician perspective Im not finding the rhythym guitar to be too overbearing but maybe thats because its me playin it lol.. I do like the idea of maybe expanding the footage to some outside shots to tie things in with the real world... Can still do that. Shes going back to hawaii to school next week so Ill try and get some good shots before she goes Here's another one I did where Sabrina (thats her name) ran the camera. first time ever using a gimbal lol so the focus isnt great. Sorry if the subject matter is a little corny

KonradRussegger wrote:Hi Tim, I find the 2 perspectives a bit confusing. It’s almost the same framing - just from the opposite side. Would suggest a different framing as a second perspective. Perhaps a wider shot where you can see the singer and the guitar player in the background (if it is possible)

Henchman

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 pm

rick.lang wrote:Alibi is very impactful; good work, Mark. What off-speed frame rate and project frame rate were used?

Project frame rate is 24.

Offspeed frame rate?
No idea. Hahahahaha.

It's been quite the learning curve since I bought my first Blackmagic camera last year.
Last edited by Henchman on Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Csaba Nagy

PostFri May 01, 2020 4:29 am

Recently completed a short sci-fi concept film. Was shot on the A7SII and the BMPCC4K.

The first sequence in the film was shot BMPCC4K, however after some re-considerations with the rough cut... made the decisions to not use it. ( opted to source this footage given the difficulties with shooting within the current circumstances in the near future. )

So the BMPCC4K was used for lots of inserts and VFX shots ( screens ) coming from a VFX/Compositing background I understand the work it takes in making good screen inserts, so In light of that I prefer to shoot this practically ( in cam ) whenever possible.

Love to hear feedback, enjoy! :)

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

ghobbs

PostFri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Huh, I watched this 2 months ago and was impressed. And, I see you finally responded to my comment on Vimeo. Again, great job!

Thanks again, Tim! Small world.

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:Grant. That’s hell of a “showreel”. It really shows what can be done with hard work and mind on details. The sound design is epic as well. Looking forward seeing more from you.

Thank you!

KonradRussegger

PostFri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm

@ Adam und Rick - thank you for your positive comments! Working on more :-)

timbutt2

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Coming soon, a car detailing commercial video.

Putting the finishing touches on this week. Wait till you see the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Langdon

PostMon May 04, 2020 5:57 pm

here's a quick video i shot for my work with a different edit:

Adam Silver

PostTue May 05, 2020 9:58 am

Some nice shots there, Adam.

Valeriu Campan

PostWed May 06, 2020 12:28 pm

This video - ESOTERIC 2020 AFTERMOVIE - was shot with a Pocket 4k. Produced by Jurassic Melbourne: https://www.facebook.com/esotericfestiv ... 0803163078

Adam Silver

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:21 am

A music video I directed and edited 2.5 years ago for a heavy metal band. The drummer is a close friend of mine. The band wanted a hardcore, gritty performance video. No tube lights. Just sweat, heart and hardcore music. I was hoping to do something with a mix of performance and narrative. The experience was a lot of fun though.

We shot this on the Red Weapon. I edited a bit different than many of the performance music videos I was observing at the time. Most of them have fast cuts, you don't get to enjoy any individual performance for very long. Hope you like it.

The Pain Method: "Gone for Good"

timbutt2

PostFri May 08, 2020 5:23 am

This is pretty much ready to go. So I'll share it here first since I teased it as coming.

Shot on URSA Mini Pro G2 with Rokinon Cinema Lenses. Edited & Graded in DaVinci Resolve.

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Adam Silver wrote:A music video I directed and edited 2.5 years ago for a heavy metal band. The drummer is a close friend of mine. The band wanted a hardcore, gritty performance video. No tube lights. Just sweat, heart and hardcore music. I was hoping to do something with a mix of performance and narrative. The experience was a lot of fun though.

We shot this on the Red Weapon. I edited a bit different than many of the performance music videos I was observing at the time. Most of them have fast cuts, you don't get to enjoy any individual performance for very long. Hope you like it.

Love it! We have done a couple of live shows these days for metal bands with several ursa and pocket. Would be nice to get this kind of quality live in these pandemic times.

Novica Milic

PostFri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm

This is a short video I made yesterday. After several weeks of quarantine I went for an evening walk in nearby wood, and I took BMPCC (original). All is hand held, with small old Lumix 14-42 PZ lens, then edited in DaVinci. (I had to sell my old BMPCC year and half ago as a part of package, but recently I bought it again, and I still thinki P2K is great tool).

MacMini 2018. BMPCC 4K. BMPCC. Canon XC10. Leica Q. Fuji X-H1.

Adam Silver

PostFri May 08, 2020 8:34 pm

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:
Adam Silver wrote:A music video I directed and edited 2.5 years ago for a heavy metal band. The drummer is a close friend of mine. The band wanted a hardcore, gritty performance video. No tube lights. Just sweat, heart and hardcore music. I was hoping to do something with a mix of performance and narrative. The experience was a lot of fun though.

Love it! We have done a couple of live shows these days for metal bands with several ursa and pocket. Would be nice to get this kind of quality live in these pandemic times.

Thanks Oyvind! I appreciate the love! :D

timbutt2

PostThu May 14, 2020 12:39 am

Got another car detailing video for you. This one is more an advertisement for a product used for car detailing.

Shot on UMP G2. Rokinon Lenses. BRAW.
Edited & Graded in DaVinci Resolve.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography