Dynamic zoom does not work with playback proxy modes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RichardCambs

Dynamic zoom does not work with playback proxy modes

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 11:51 am

This problem (bug) has left me very confused for the past hour, until I realised that Resolve isn't accounting for the playback proxy mode (half or quarter resolution) when interpreting the size and position of the red/green rectangles when using the Dynamic zoom mode.

See the attached image - this is with the rectangles reset and in 'half' resolution proxy mode. It will result in the entire image being visible by the end of the clip - despite the fact that the red rectangle illustrates a significant zoom factor. Making the red rectangle any bigger results in the image being cropped - black borders.

If you switch to the 'quarter' proxy mode the length/width of the rectangles halves again when reset.

In both cases it makes any adjustments to the in/out dynamic zoom rectangles very difficult.

Essentially you have to toggle the proxy mode off/on again when adjusting the dynamic zoom rectangles, or the resultant zoom will be incorrect.

dynamic zoom problem.PNG
dynamic zoom problem.PNG (879.35 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

Jim Simon

Re: Dynamic zoom does not work with playback proxy modes

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I have seen other oddities when using Proxy mode. Seems like another one here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

isaacpaterlini

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:51 am

Hi there,
I have experienced the same problem with dynamic zoom when the half or quarter proxy mode is selected.
I am working with Davinci 16.2.
does anyone have suggestions?
thanks a lot
Isaac

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 4:54 pm

I think until the Proxy issues are worked out, all we can do is not use Proxy mode when an issue rears it's head.

Perhaps Optimized Media is the better option here. (I'm partial to Cineform at 1/4 resolution.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

chemicalsand

PostFri May 01, 2020 6:31 am

Was having this issue and this fixed it, thank you!

RichardCambs

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm testing on the Beta version of Resolve 17 and this problem still hasn't been fixed. It's been the same in versions 15, 16 and now 17.

The nature of the bug is clear - the reduced resolution isn't being taken into account when the crop is applied - instead, the calculation is based on the resolution of the original file. This results in the crop factor being calculated incorrectly. I've experienced similar problems with the crop tool.

Optimized media also creates similar problems - but less frequently. Sometimes it works, only to break after you've been working on your project for a while.

Proxy files are much better, but even then there are a could of quirks - and they naturally have the downside of having to create proxy media.

Please, can we get this fixed. With all the incredible features in Resolve 15/16/17 I would have thought that your software engineers could fix a bug which simply involves taking the reduced resolution into account when applying the crop.

a666a666

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 10:01 am

i hadn't this issue in resolve 15, but i do in 17.1. changing proxy mode or optimized media doesn't help. nor working at 100% view. an additional issue i have, when i active the dynamic zoom, is to see all elements at original size at a given keyframe at original paste-in size (above on attachment). note: these are just transformed objects, no dynamic zoom is applied to them. the effect disappears when playing the video in edit page (below on attachment) and the exported video of course.

unsing dynamic zoom for simple pan over the center works, but start/stop (green/red) is inverted.

Unbenannt-1.jpg
Unbenannt-1.jpg (168.06 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

amadeus67

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi,

this issue is still present in Davinci 17.2.1

Bye

Christian

AindreaBurns

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Confirmed still buggy in 17.2.1 -- this was driving me crazy until I found your post!

acvisuals

PostSat Aug 05, 2023 4:17 pm

Issue is still present in 18.5 :/

echoblaster

PostTue Sep 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Issue is also still present in 18.5.1 Build 6.

Using a half size proxy, toggling the timeline resolution between "full" and "half" changes the size of the dynamic zoom handles. Completely removing the dynamic zoom from the clips I still get some ghost "jump" zooms in the preview window. Other times, adding new dynamic zooms won't preview at all.

Return to DaVinci Resolve