Unable to stream with ATEM Mini Pro directly on network

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

2xbass

Re: Unable to stream with ATEM Mini Pro directly on network

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 pm

David_Anderson wrote:So what IP address is it getting when you plug it into the computers ethernet port

So according to the ATEM Setup when I connect via USB to check the IP address the Mini Pro got 192.168.2.2 and this does allow it to stream fine through the computer.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 9:32 pm

So I'm guessing you configured your Mac to share the internet connection which makes it a DHCP server.

I'd call support. It's really odd what's happening.

Best,

David

2xbass wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:So what IP address is it getting when you plug it into the computers ethernet port

So according to the ATEM Setup when I connect via USB to check the IP address the Mini Pro got 192.168.2.2 and this does allow it to stream fine through the computer.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

2xbass

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 pm

David_Anderson wrote:So I'm guessing you configured your Mac to share the internet connection which makes it a DHCP server.

I'd call support. It's really odd what's happening.

Yeah I’m not sure precisely what the Mac does when you share the Internet connection but it definitely does work flawlessly in that configuration. The thing is, the way I have it working, is the way Grant Petty demonstrated it in the launch video. You connect the Mini Pro to the computer’s ethernet and share the connection. However it’s not a great setup. If the computer dies for some reason, the streaming will die. It also means, if you want to avoid wifi, that you need to setup your computer with two ethernet ports. I have not seen Blackmagic say that streaming with the Mini Pro directly into a network is not supported and plenty of other people, including some on this forum, have it working, so I’d really like to get that working if possible.

Yeah I was hoping that Blackmagic might chime in here but I’ll have to try some other channels. Thanks for chiming in David.

TonyThigpen

PostFri May 01, 2020 11:26 pm

I received my Mini-Pro unit late today. I can tell you that the DHCP did not originally display the DHCP addresses correctly until after I set it to a hard-coded address, then switched it back to DHCP and hit the save button at the bottom. Although it did not display the addresses, it did display the correct DNS addresses used by my network. I am not sure if this is a display issue or a DHCP client issue. If I get a chance later tonight, I will do some wireshark traces and see what I find out.

I can also confirm that when set to static, the DNS entries can not be set. This is definitely a bug.

I will not be able to test streaming until I get to the church building tomorrow and replace my current Mini.

Tony T.

2xbass

PostFri May 01, 2020 11:29 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:I received my Mini-Pro unit late today. I can tell you that the DHCP did not originally display the DHCP addresses correctly until after I set it to a hard-coded address, then switched it back to DHCP and hit the save button at the bottom. Although it did not display the addresses, it did display the correct DNS addresses used by my network. I am not sure if this is a display issue or a DHCP client issue. If I get a chance later tonight, I will do some wireshark traces and see what I find out.

I can also confirm that when set to static, the DNS entries can not be set. This is definitely a bug.

I will not be able to test streaming until I get to the church building tomorrow and replace my current Mini.

Tony T.

Thanks for the update. I’ve not done any further testing and have to livestream tomorrow and I’m just glad I have it working in some kind of configuration. I also contacted Blackmagic Support and asked them to take a look at this thread.

Robstar

PostSat May 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Hello Tony,
I received my Mini Pro last week and I have experienced the same issues as you described.

Addionally:
- I cannot live stream to Youtube from the Mini Pro, but from OBS software.
- In the Atem Software control the Mini Pro is not foundwhen connected to an Ethernet switch/hub being in the same network as my computer and the cable router. It doesn't matter if I use DHCP or a fixed IP address
- with direct connection to my computer's ethernet port I can at least connect over Ethernet to the Atem Software control software without the USB cable. But again, I cannot stream live.

I opened a ticket at the support yesterday and hope to get this solved soon.

Please let me know if you get any information from the Support Team first. I will post any news I will receive here as well.

Thanks,
Robin

macmedia

PostSat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm

I have the same issue, will work via usb but not directly via ethernet. I have done everything with no success.
Like you said, it shouldn't be that hard.
I sent Atem MP back for them to look at, as I believe the ethernet port is not operating/working correctly. Hopefully I will get it back soon.

Very frustrating!
DRS 18.0.4 Build 5 | W11 Pro (22H2) | i9-12900K 3.20 GHz |128 GB | RTX3090(24gb) | M.2 (Boot) 1TB XPG GAMMIX S70 | M.2 (Projects) 1TB Firecuda 530 | M.2 (Cache) 1TB XPG GAMMIX S70 | M.2 (Assets) 4TB Firecuda 530 | NVME (3D Prod) 1.6TB Samsung MZPLJ1T6HBJR

TonyThigpen

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

What a day! Took many hours to convert from ATEM Mini to ATEM Mini-Pro. Some things that happened:
1) I was able to use the setup at home with a USB cable. Everything worked as expected.
2) When I got to the church building, the Win-10 laptop that we used for the Mini would not see the Mini-Pro over the USB. (The home laptop was not close enough to retrieve.)
3) We were able to install the the software on a mac and configure the IP addresses.
4) Back to the Win-10, we uninstalled the ATEM software and re-installed it multiple times but the display looked "wrong" (buttons missing titles, no option to stream). I manually uninstalled the software, re-downloaded it and re-installed (including re-boot between steps). We finally got to where I had a valid display using IP to control the Mini-Pro.
5) Still could not get the setup to see the Mini-Pro using the USB.
6) ATEM install program *did* work with the Mini, but not the Pro.
7) Did another 'uninstall' and 'install' and now, for some reason, the ATEM install program *did* work with the Mini-Pro.

I personally think there is something very flaky about the USB driver and the ATEM install program.
Tony T.

TonyThigpen

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Back to the network issues.
The Mini and the Mini-Pro have different network setting panels. The one for the Mini does not have a DHCP option, nor does it have an option to set the DNS1/DNS2 addresses.
The Mini-Pro does have the DHCP option and it does display the DNS settings, but it will not let you change the DNS settings. They are set to the Google sites 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. While I use these at home, they are not what I used at the church building. I can verify that they do *not* change based on the DHCP information. While this normally would not cause a problem, some facilities, (like our church) use special DNS values as smut prevention methods. I have one network that will not let you use an external DNS (such as 8.8.8.8) and will block any attempts. My second network, which is where all the video capture stuff is located, does not have that same block because the only computers that can be on it are secured and there is no wi-fi access to this special network. So, I was able to stream directly to YouTube with the Mini-Pro.
This means that if you are at a site that blocks 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers, the Mini-Pro will fail to connect to YouTube, Facebook, or any other named service. And to cap it off, many cable modem companies force you to use their DNS and block other DNS sites. With Comcast, (as of a few years ago when I had them) you have to go into your profile at their site and disable the use of their DNS. With my home Frontier Fios, I was able to go into the local cable-modem/switch/hub/wi-fi and turn it off. (I *always* turn it off at my home for other reasons.)
Could this be the OP's base problem? I don't know, It could be that Windows when sharing a port, might act as a proxy and convert the DNS calls to something that is ok.
Tony T.

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:40 am

TonyThigpen wrote:Could this be the OP's base problem? I don't know, It could be that Windows when sharing a port, might act as a proxy and convert the DNS calls to something that is ok.
Tony T.

Thanks for all the details. Very interesting to hear about some of the problems you had.
The DNS issue you mentioned is possibly one problems. One problem is getting an address via DHCP but a second problem is that even when I have a connection (statically assigned) that it can’t stream is possibly because either the gateway or DNS are not correct.

TonyThigpen

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:53 am

Another thing. You have to scroll down on the "set network" page to actually see the "SAVE" button. This tripped me up initially. If you look at your screen-print post of Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:16 pm, you are not showing everything. But there is a small scroll bar on the right (of the jpeg, not of the forum software) that you can use to scroll down to the save button.

I can't remember any other panel in the software for the ATEMs that actually has a "save" button. They normally just save as soon as you tab out of the field.

Tony T.

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:23 am

TonyThigpen wrote:Another thing. You have to scroll down on the "set network" page to actually see the "SAVE" button. This tripped me up initially. If you look at your screen-print post of Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:16 pm, you are not showing everything. But there is a small scroll bar on the right (of the jpeg, not of the forum software) that you can use to scroll down to the save button.

I can't remember any other panel in the software for the ATEMs that actually has a "save" button. They normally just save as soon as you tab out of the field.

Tony T.

Yep I’m definitely hitting that save button.

MambaFiber.com

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:45 am

TonyThigpen wrote:Back to the network issues.
The Mini and the Mini-Pro have different network setting panels. The one for the Mini does not have a DHCP option, nor does it have an option to set the DNS1/DNS2 addresses. Yadda yadda yadda

All ATEM models except for the Mini Pro have the same IP setup. Since none of these models have any need to go online there is no need for DNS settings. The port is only used for control on the LAN. Static addressing is used so the software ALWAYS knows where to find the switcher, even without a router present.

The Mini Pro on the other hand does go online for streaming and interacting with a router/DHCP server makes a lot of sense. We all need to be patient with BMD as this is their first product to offer this feature. They have given it a good go, but as usual Ver 1 isn't ready for primetime.

The DNS fiasco as you noticed isn't a problem for a lot of people, but they need to make this field programable for a lot of scenarios I'm sure they just never considered. Like your church. Comcast routes thru their own DNS to make their parental control work. Many corporate networks block outside DNS servers. In any event these should (have already) be able to be set by the user. Fix coming someday...

Also when in DHCP mode, the Mini Pro fails to properly initialize the IP address assigned by the DHCP server at first. If you boot up and wait for the first DHCP event (wait 60 seconds), then briefly disconnect/reconnect the Cat5 cable it will refresh the assignment and after this second attempt it works properly. BMD is aware of this issue-expect a fix sometime in the next decade :-) Until they fix this glitch, I recommend setting a static address so this isn't an issue.

Bottom line, if your Streaming "ON" light is flashing red, you aren't sending video anywhere.

If this is greek to any other readers, please take the time to take some basic networking instruction. There's tons of websites and how to videos, but please look to instruction from IT vendors like Cisco, Netgear, or a real IT/Tech school. There's some really good vids on youtube, but for every good one there are about 100 vids of people spreading completely bad setup info. Consider the source and find the real deal, save yourself a ton of headache. Once you have a good understanding of networking, the ATEM world gets a lot easier.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

TonyThigpen

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Greg,
Thinks for pointing out the timing issue with DHCP. I had not seen that posted anywhere.

As for me, I *AM* impressed with both the Mini and the Mini-Pro units that I have. Yes, not all is there now, but I know it will be there at some point. I adopted the ATEM 1-M/E (gen-1) back in 2012. It took another year to get to the level that provided everything 'prommised'. For our church, at 2 years, it had the features working that we needed and was so stable that we stopped updating it. I expect the same time-fame for the Mini Series.

Can this unit replace my 1-M/E? No. Does it provide me a good streaming option? I thank so. Will it frustrate me a little? Yes. Would I have wanted BMD to hold back the product for a longer 'beta' phase, No! No! No!

Tony T.

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:46 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:
TonyThigpen wrote:Also when in DHCP mode, the Mini Pro fails to properly initialize the IP address assigned by the DHCP server at first. If you boot up and wait for the first DHCP event (wait 60 seconds), then briefly disconnect/reconnect the Cat5 cable it will refresh the assignment and after this second attempt it works properly. BMD is aware of this issue-expect a fix sometime in the next decade :-) Until they fix this glitch, I recommend setting a static address so this isn't an issue.

Thanks for this. I will have to see if this fixes my issue although I’m not hopeful. It sounds like you’ve had discussion with support about this?

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 5:27 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:Also when in DHCP mode, the Mini Pro fails to properly initialize the IP address assigned by the DHCP server at first. If you boot up and wait for the first DHCP event (wait 60 seconds), then briefly disconnect/reconnect the Cat5 cable it will refresh the assignment and after this second attempt it works properly. BMD is aware of this issue-expect a fix sometime in the next decade :-) Until they fix this glitch, I recommend setting a static address so this isn't an issue.

Thanks for this. I will have to see if this fixes my issue although I’m not hopeful. It sounds like you’ve had discussion with support about this?
Last edited by 2xbass on Sun May 03, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyThigpen

PostSun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Update.

My first church stream using the Mini-Pro direct to YouTube went well today. The Pro was connected directly to the router. I managed it from a Win-10 laptop and a large TV for the multi-view. I also fed the USB out to a mac and streamed to Facebook at the same time. (For the last two weeks, I used the non-Pro Mini to double-stream using the same mac and sending to both Facebook and YouTube.)

So, I am still thinking that Adrian has either a bad unit or a network issue.

Tony T.

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Unfortunately nothing has changed for me. Mini Pro plugged straight into new router and computer also plugged into the router. Mini Pro can't get address by DHCP and even when given a static assignment it never makes the connection. Plug the Mini Pro into the computer's ethernet port and it immediately makes gets an address by DHCP. So frustrating.

TonyThigpen

PostSun May 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Do you have another location you can try it from? Maybe a business with a "real" internet connection, not a cable modem? (If you were in Orlando, I would let you test at my church.) Or, a friend that uses a different cable company?
Tony T.

2xbass

PostSun May 03, 2020 8:55 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:Do you have another location you can try it from? Maybe a business with a "real" internet connection, not a cable modem? (If you were in Orlando, I would let you test at my church.) Or, a friend that uses a different cable company?
Tony T.

Yes possibly next week. The thing is that some of these issues have, or should have, nothing to do with the Internet connection. For example, the address assignment by DHCP or static should work regardless. I've also tried with no connection to the ISP.

bming1

PostMon May 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi Adrian, I struggled with a similar issue for a few days, and while I *just* discovered the fix, my limited testing indicates that it may solve the problem. Check the MTU settings on your router - I had to change mine from 0 to 1500 to allow the stream to work properly. If you've already done so, my apologies - I didn't read through every single reply. Hopefully it's as simple a fix as this!

macmedia

PostTue May 05, 2020 2:14 pm

2xbass wrote:
TonyThigpen wrote:Do you have another location you can try it from? Maybe a business with a "real" internet connection, not a cable modem? (If you were in Orlando, I would let you test at my church.) Or, a friend that uses a different cable company?
Tony T.

Yes possibly next week. The thing is that some of these issues have, or should have, nothing to do with the Internet connection. For example, the address assignment by DHCP or static should work regardless. I've also tried with no connection to the ISP.

I wrote a message that wasn't added. Anyway I sent my ATEM MP back, as the unit was giving the same problem as your unit. They contacted me to say there was a problem with the ethernet port and will replace my unit.

Might be an idea to return yours because like you said 'it shouldn't be that hard'.
DRS 18.0.4 Build 5 | W11 Pro (22H2) | i9-12900K 3.20 GHz |128 GB | RTX3090(24gb) | M.2 (Boot) 1TB XPG GAMMIX S70 | M.2 (Projects) 1TB Firecuda 530 | M.2 (Cache) 1TB XPG GAMMIX S70 | M.2 (Assets) 4TB Firecuda 530 | NVME (3D Prod) 1.6TB Samsung MZPLJ1T6HBJR

2xbass

PostTue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm

macmedia wrote:I sent my ATEM MP back, as the unit was giving the same problem as your unit. They contacted me to say there was a problem with the ethernet port and will replace my unit.

Might be an idea to return yours because like you said 'it shouldn't be that hard'.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for chiming in. This is a relief to hear of your experience. It’s frustrating to go through all of this and have everyone assume it’s user error. I’m already in the process of trying to get a replacement but of course that’s tough since the product is so scarce right now. Cheers.

2xbass

PostTue May 05, 2020 8:24 pm

bming1 wrote:Hi Adrian, I struggled with a similar issue for a few days, and while I *just* discovered the fix, my limited testing indicates that it may solve the problem. Check the MTU settings on your router - I had to change mine from 0 to 1500 to allow the stream to work properly. If you've already done so, my apologies - I didn't read through every single reply. Hopefully it's as simple a fix as this!

Hi Brandon. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I already checked and the router I am currently using it with has the MTU set to 1500. In any case, while I have one configuration in which I can get a connection via a static connection (but still can’t stream) in most other cases I’ve even get to this stage as it can’t get an address via DHCP or refuses to get a connection with a static assignment either.

robertsmu

PostTue May 05, 2020 8:52 pm

I have been following this thread with curiosity, since I had a mini pro on order. It arrived last night.

So today, I unboxed it, plugged it into my little Netgear switch, updated the software as instructed, connected some sources, put in my Twitch key and was streaming (at over 8.5 mb/s) within 3 minutes. No muss no fuss.

2xbass

PostTue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm

So good news. I got a replacement unit and plugged it in and it immediately got an address from DHCP and I could control and stream from it with it directly connected to my switch and no USB involved. Just as easy as it should have been in the first place. Blackmagic support were no help at all and just kept insisting it was my network configuration. I wasted so much time on this. Thanks to everyone on this thread who chimed in with help and suggestions.

vlegallic

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello,

It seems i have the same issue with an ATEM Mini Pro version. the ethernet link does not go up on the network. I've tried several routers, DHCP and manual network configuration it doesn't work :/

2xbass

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm

vlegallic wrote:Hello,

It seems i have the same issue with an ATEM Mini Pro version. the ethernet link does not go up on the network. I've tried several routers, DHCP and manual network configuration it doesn't work :/

I’m sorry to hear that. Are you able to get a link through the computer’s ethernet port?

mirakle

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Is anyone able to provide assistance on this issue?
I have spent several days trying to connect my brand new ATEM mini pro direct from the Ethernet port but it simply does not work. I have tried many different network configurations in an attempt to achieve this.
I have contacted black magic direct via email but have not received any replies.
Is there any possible way of receiving some form on online assistance?
I noticed that some owners have simply sent their products back, is it possible that that my ATEM mini pro is faulty?
Thanks.

2xbass

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:13 pm

mirakle wrote:Is anyone able to provide assistance on this issue?
I have spent several days trying to connect my brand new ATEM mini pro direct from the Ethernet port but it simply does not work. I have tried many different network configurations in an attempt to achieve this.
I have contacted black magic direct via email but have not received any replies.
Is there any possible way of receiving some form on online assistance?
I noticed that some owners have simply sent their products back, is it possible that that my ATEM mini pro is faulty?
Thanks.

From my experience and from at least one other poster on the forum who had the same experience, it’s entirely possible it’s faulty. In my case I got zero help from BMD Support other than them essentially telling me I was an idiot. The only recourse I got was through the dealer I bought it from.

GJLewis

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 pm

I have the same problem connecting my Atem mini pro to my laptop via ethernet. No such problem connecting via USB C. I've tried two different cables. Basically my macbook does not see the Atem.

Da_DOC

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 8:37 pm

I‘ve also something interesting to report here. I have the „Atem mini pro“ and this device works like a charm. Plugged it in and it got the correct IP from my Router (Fritz Box) an I can stream to Youtube, etc. Now I bought the „Atem mini pro ISO“ and this thing doesn‘t communicate with my router at all. It insists on getting a 169..... IP and I can‘t make this thing talk to my router at all. I reinstalled the firmware, plugged it in and out the whole day - nothing. Connecting the „old“ pro again and everything works ... When I read this post, I will send back my ISO ...

Update: Send mine back and got a new one. The new one works like expected.
Last edited by Da_DOC on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundman5857

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 am

2xbass wrote:I am unable to stream when my ATEM Mini Pro is connected directly to my ethernet network. In this setup, I am able to control it from my computer, which is also on the network, and not connected to the Mini Pro by USB, but when I try to go on air the Mini Pro simply doesn’t start streaming.

I AM however, able to stream from the Mini Pro if I connect it to my computers’ ethernet port, and either share my computer’s Internet wifi connection or if I attach a second ethernet port on my computer, and share that.

There seems to be no easy way to debug why the ATEM Mini Pro can’t go on air when it is connected directly to the network. I’ve verified that through DHCP, or with a manual IP assignment, that it has the right gateway and DNS entries. And if I take that same ethernet that is plugged into my ATEM Mini Pro and plug it into my computer, my computer can get out to the Internet fine.

How do I debug this? Thanks for any help.

Hi got the same problem with my MINI PRO just will not stream have tried everything I think these units have a fault and Black magic is not addressing the issue , just giving me the run around about xml text editors and crap.

Soundman57

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 12:03 am

soundman5857 wrote:
2xbass wrote:I am unable to stream when my ATEM Mini Pro is connected directly to my ethernet network. In this setup, I am able to control it from my computer, which is also on the network, and not connected to the Mini Pro by USB, but when I try to go on air the Mini Pro simply doesn’t start streaming.

I AM however, able to stream from the Mini Pro if I connect it to my computers’ ethernet port, and either share my computer’s Internet wifi connection or if I attach a second ethernet port on my computer, and share that.

There seems to be no easy way to debug why the ATEM Mini Pro can’t go on air when it is connected directly to the network. I’ve verified that through DHCP, or with a manual IP assignment, that it has the right gateway and DNS entries. And if I take that same ethernet that is plugged into my ATEM Mini Pro and plug it into my computer, my computer can get out to the Internet fine.

Hi got the same problem with my MINI PRO just will not stream have tried everything I think these units have a fault and Black magic is not addressing the issue , just giving me the run around about xml text editors and crap.

Finally gave up got a RMA # sent it back , so I wait to see.

garyhowell

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Just chiming in on this conversation. We had an ATEM Mini Pro with the same problem this week (no DHCP allocation when plugging into a regular router, but OK when Internet sharing with iMac).

I tried the BMD support workaround without success.

I ran Wireshark on the iMac and captured both the DHCP negotiation (all done through MDNS broadcasts) and an eventual TCP connection from the BMD Software Control software which should definitely show the MAC addresses of the devices in communication.

As you can see on the screen shot, the MAC address on the Mini Pro is indeed all zeros on the TCP packet. It would certainly seem that the Mini Pro Ethernet NIC has not been set with a proper MAC address.

I've sent mind back for analysis via the distributor which I expect will be replaced rather than repaired.
My main concern is there is a batch of Mini Pro's in distribution with faulty NIC configs which means we will have to test each one before sending to clients.

Gary
Attachments
2020-09-14_11-56-31.jpg
2020-09-14_11-56-31.jpg (275.01 KiB) Viewed 10942 times

garyhowell

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:55 am

Keeping you folks updated on this one.
We tried a 2nd unit (which we bought at the same time) which worked fine over the same network connection.

I have reported the serial numbers of the good and bad units to BMD support to see if they can identify a bad batch from the ones they have had back.

Releaux

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 am

Hi all,

I posted about this issue as well (my post), but since I was brand new on the forum it got held up for a few days waiting for approval. Since this thread has sort of become the de facto home for the bad ethernet / DHCP issue, I thought I'd chime in here as well.

Symptoms:
  • My ATEM Mini Pro ISO won't pull an IP address from DHCP.
  • My previous unit (ATEM Mini Pro) had no network issues, and I haven't changed anything. The ISO was a drop-in replacement in my rig for the Pro, which had developed a bad fan.
  • If I attempt to force a DHCP refresh in the setup software, it immediately goes to a self-assigned IP (169.254.1.0)
  • An arp -a command doesn't list it in the arp tables, but eventually returns:
    Code: Select all
    atem-avc-000000000000.local (169.254.1.0) at 0:0:0:0:0:0 on en0 [ethernet]
  • When I assign a static, it will respond to pings and the ATEM software can see it, but it's otherwise invisible on the network.
  • An arp -a command with a static IP configured doesn't show it in the arp table, but eventually returns the line above (which may just be a cached result) as well as
    Code: Select all
    ? (10.1.1.203) at 0:0:0:0:0:0 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
  • Attempting to start streaming only results in the "On Air" light blinking. It never connects to the servers.
  • When first powered up, both the green and amber leds light up on the ethernet jack, but amber immediately goes out and never comes back on. Green occasionally blinks, but it's not typical traffic blinking, and there's no correlation with communication to the control software.

I've been back and forth with BMD tech support this week, but they've been having me try tier 1 things like power cycling the unit, unplugging / replugging the ethernet cable, and plugging the ATEM directly into the computer instead of a switch.

I initially thought that maybe the 8.4 update was buggy, but some of the reports of this issue predate that release. I agree with Gary that it seems like they got a bad batch of ethernet controllers. I'm expecting that an RMA is in my near future. Hopefully the third unit won't have any manufacturing defects.

Releaux

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

As expected, BMD has advised me to return it to the vendor for a replacement. Two bad units in a row... not feeling warm fuzzies on the manufacturing QA given all of the various defect reports here. Has anyone else solved this bad networking issue on a Pro or ISO without getting a new unit?

TK-421

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 5:23 pm

It looks like I may have the same issue. I successfully did stream within a week of when I got the device back in May 2020, but went to do something yesterday and couldn't get it to work.

Same symptoms as most of this thread. I can ping the device by IP from a computer on the same home network and I can control it, but for some reason it cannot reach outside on it's own.

Submitted a support email request; we'll see what happens. I included a serial number, don't know if they can track troublesome components by that. Would also be nice if there was a definitive test that could be done to determine if the port itself was the issue or it is something else.

UPDATE: 26.OCT.2020
Finally got my RMA returned and I was sent a brand new, in-the-box unit, with no comment on my previous unit. I assume this means the old unit was not working and cheaper to replace than repair.

Will follow-up with a stream-test shortly.
Last edited by TK-421 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marquisashley

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm in the same boat. Have tried 4 routers, 3 locations, different cables and ports. Can't get my unit to broadcast. Keep getting a 169 IP that won't connect and the blinking on air light. Just sent mine back and ordered a new one from another company to see if it was part of a bad batch. I'll update when it comes in.

*Update - Just unpacked and setup the newly purchased unit and it's working perfectly right out of the box. IP is good and broadcasting via Restream.IO to both YouTube and Facebook. My first unit SN started with 6 and was from B&H. My new unit SN starts with 7 and was from Adorama. Guessing there was a bad batch somewhere in the 6XXXXX's. If yours doesn't work like you'd expect, I'd simply return it and get another one. I spent a crazy amount of hours assuming it was user error, but not the case. Looking forward to putting my Mini Pro to use... Finally.

marquisashley

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 12:58 am

I had the same issue. Bought a new Insignia USB-C to Ethernet adapter for my MacBook Pro and also realized that you have to plug all your cables in and then plug in the Atem Mini Pro and everything launched and worked like it should for me. I was streaming via ethernet and recording to SSD via usb-c at the same time no problems.

MacBook Pro USB-C to Ethernet Adapter (and cable) to Router
Atem Mini Pro Ethernet to Router
Atem Mini Pro USB-C to Samsung SSD T5

*Plug in power to Atem Mini Pro last and then open Software Control

philipt

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 am

We're having streaming issues that, at first, I thought was related to the Facebook connection. The URL field simply shows "Default" and doesn't allow an entry of the Facebook URL.

I can input the Key successfully. It wasn't until I was reading through this thread that I found out the red "Live" light flashing means we are not streaming..

I have an IP address on the mini pro and laptop we have it connected to and the software is communicating successfully with the mini pro.. I can browse the internet using the connected laptop via wireless. Again, reading through this thread, I'm not sure where our disconnect is.

We have re-connected the ATEM Mini pro in the software by name (not static IP address). Is there anything else we need to do to get Facebook streaming working? I'm not a networking guru :(

Any information to point us in the right direction will help.

philipt

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 1:01 am

2xbass wrote:I AM however, able to stream from the Mini Pro if I connect it to my computers’ ethernet port, and either share my computer’s Internet wifi connection or if I attach a second ethernet port on my computer, and share that.

Hi: We have our ATEM mini pro connected via Ethernet to a laptop, which has a wifi internet connection. My question is simple: how do you share the internet with the mini pro in Windows 10?

thanks

Varantar

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 5:44 am

I have the same problem. tried DCHP and manual ip. the only way i can see it on the network is with manual ip. but is not streaming at all . have the blinking light and no link. i tried the wifi share method and it did not work neither. the only way i could make it work was bridging the two connection wifi and network from my laptop. this is a work around is not the way it should work. i will send it back and see what happen. i hope they release a firmware update.

josephkf92

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 12:41 pm

I am having a similar problem,
I don't know much about router settings or IP addresses , but here it goes.
I got the Atem Mini Pro connected to my router using ethernet cable , and my computer to the same router using Ethernet cable. My computer can detect the Atem mini Pro, and the setting i set to DHCP instead of Static IP.
I can go live on youtube with no problem, however when i go live on facebook, the on air signal keeps blinking. And in my facebook live studio it's not receiving any video signal.
I've tried many things, like resetting stream key, going live on personal profile and also on page, all doesn't work. WHY???
I bought the Atem mini PRO so i can go live with just ethernet and using computer for control, and now it doesnt work!

philipt

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 12:59 am

I have found success in streaming to Facebook!, it was quite by accident.. over the last couple of days, I did the following:
1. Connected the mini pro to the router, did a power cycle on the mini pro (unplugged and Re-plugged it in)
2. Disconnected the mini pro from the router and re connected to the windows 10 laptop (both cat5 and USB) and went to mini setup to check the network settings.
3. Re did the network settings because I didn’t think they were right.. be sure to check another computer on the network for its IP settings using “ipconfig /all” after getting a dos window (type “cmd” in the search window. You need IP address, dns address, default gateway from the computer on the network. If not, get this info from the router itself.
4. In the mini setup program, enter a slightly different IP address for the mini pro (or confirm it’s similar to the other computer’s iP address (the first 3 sections must be the same as other computers on the network)
5. Check the dns address for the server in the mini pro. The other fields must match your network in the mini pro. Save the configuration
6. In the ATEM software control app, make sure you save the configuration frequently, including the startup configuration.
7. On the laptop, I made sure I could see the mini pro in the control software. I don’t think it matters that the ip is static or dynamic as long as your network ip addresses are correct.
8. You HAVE to bridge the Ethernet connection (mini pro) with the wireless internet connection in windows 10 (which is our case).

Follow this link for detailed instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7f0d899d5a

9. After powering off and on for both the mini pro and laptop, you need to be logged in to Facebook to get the stream code when going live. As well, you need to give the live stream a title and description when you’re ready to stream. Copy the stream code from Facebook to the ATEM control software and save the configuration for startup. It might be wise to do another power cycle of the mini pro and laptop.
10. In all cases, power up the mini pro first, before the laptop
11. In the ATEM control software, go live. You will also need to be logged in to Facebook and the go live button will light up if you have configured everything correctly. Click on the Facebook go live button and you will be live (again, if you have been successful in configuring the software).

We were shocked that the stream worked.. after so many tries that were unsuccessful, this was expected to happen again.

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:09 am

timgregory wrote:Are you on a network where IT admin needs to allow the mac addresses of devices for them to access the internet?

Yes. What does one do about that?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

philipt

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:43 am

Jim Simon wrote:
timgregory wrote:Are you on a network where IT admin needs to allow the mac addresses of devices for them to access the internet?

Yes. What does one do about that?

I’m no IT specialist. What I do know is that the MAC address is allowed in the router configuration for the network. If running a windows computer, go to a DOS prompt (type “Cmd” in the search window) and type the command “ipconfig /all”. You will get the network configuration settings of the computer on the network, including the MAC address. This address is needed to be included to access the internet on the network’s router. Usually the IT person will know how to access this and make the configuration change.

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks Philip.

But it's the address from the Mini Pro that will be required here. I was wondering how to find that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

philipt

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Thanks Philip.

But it's the address from the Mini Pro that will be required here. I was wondering how to find that.

I am presently not in front of the software or mini pro. If you launch “ATEM setup” program and look at the IP address window in the software, will you see the MAC address of the mini pro? (I am relying on my poor memory here)
PreviousNext

Return to Live Production