Location Sound Summit 2020: Oct 1-2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

Location Sound Summit 2020: Oct 1-2

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm

[EDIT: The first part of this thread is about the Sound Summit held in April 2020. The second Summit is October 1 & 2, 2020. See the Sept. 30 post below for details.]

Here’s the lineup for tomorrow and Friday: https://thesoundsummit.org/

Streaming is 10:00 a.m. to about 2:00 p.m. CDT each day.*

* GMT 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
EDT 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
PDT 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Got a smile from the distinctly unslick teaser. Additional companies have joined in since this was made:

Last edited by robedge on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

robedge

Re: Location Sound Summit 2020: April 30/May 1

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:34 pm

About 700 people watched today's live stream. Jon Tatooles did a great job of keeping the schedule on track. I thought that it was sufficiently tight, but he plans a faster pace tomorrow and says that the stream may end a bit sooner than scheduled.

There are some interesting new products coming and I found that I prefer presentation via live stream to trade show craziness.

A few things that interested me personally:

Ambient is about to release a new timecode box and a much smaller version III of its universal microphone power supply.

The Sound Devices Series 8 mixer/recorders already contain the hardware for 32-bit float, so making it available is just a firmware upgrade. That surprised me, as it clearly did other viewers. However, it was clear from comments by people watching that post operations are not yet interested in receiving 32-bit files, and that there is not even a recognised post workflow.

Paul Isaacs, in response to a question, said that a MixPre v.2 can record to an iPhone and that it requires nothing more than a USB-A to Lightning cable. For some purposes, this could be very useful, although my experience is that the variable frame rate used in all smartphones causes issues with synchronisation with image. In any event, Isaacs said that Sound Devices may make a short video about recording from MixPre to iPhone.

There's an interesting new timecode box that gets its time from satellites and apparently works indoors as well as outdoors. As far as I can tell, there are not yet any resellers, and price is certain to be a significant question.

There was quite a lot of interest by viewers in lavaliere mounts and condenser wind protection products. For some reason, Cinela participated in the chat, but not in the presentations. I would like to have seen Philippe Chevenez talk about Cinela products. Daniele Turi, the owner of Viviana, gets the prize for high energy. Good discussion about the implications of Covid-19 for recording sound.

It looks like they're using Ecamm for the live streams rather than Zoom, which gives me a chance to see it in operation. I plan to try out Ecamm when I can find a camera/webcam adapter that isn't sold out :)

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Thanks so much for the update and observations.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm

rick.lang wrote:Thanks so much for the update and observations.

Try checking it out tomorrow. Today's session was quite good and well-attended.

Picking up on you being in Vancouver...

One of the odder moments was when Jacques Sax, owner of Sonosax, was asked whether the U.S. would be getting a different version than Europe of Sonosax's new US$4500 SX-AD8+ preamp. Evidently there's yet another patent issue relating to a particular U.S. company. Sax's reply was that Americans should buy the SX-AD8+ in Europe or Canada or, if purchased in the U.S., send it across the border for change-out of the part in issue, free of charge :)

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 pm

Tricky. Does Sonosax have a US retail company? If they do have an American presence, I believe an American can’t purchase in Canada for shipment to the US. Sonosax CA would have to decline that. If Sonosax US doesn’t exist, then Sonosax CA do as they suggest.

I learned that lesson years ago when trying to purchase my Sennheiser MKH416 mic from B&H Photo; B&H told me they could handle everything except the mic which I had to purchase from Sennheiser CA or their Canadian dealers.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 pm

rick.lang wrote:Tricky. Does Sonosax have a US retail company? If they do have an American presence, I believe an American can’t purchase in Canada for shipment to the US. Sonosax CA would have to decline that. If Sonosax US doesn’t exist, then Sonosax CA do as they suggest.

I learned that lesson years ago when trying to purchase my Sennheiser MKH416 mic from B&H Photo; B&H told me they could handle everything except the mic which I had to purchase from Sennheiser CA or their Canadian dealers.

Sonosax has distributors in the U.S. and Canada, but it isn't Sennheiser/Neumann.

Sonosax is a Swiss, old-school, niche maker of quite expensive sound gear. Its location sound products are much more common in Europe than in the U.S. or Canada, although Brad Hurley wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about Sonosax's new M2D2 preamp, which he has and which Sonosax discussed during its presentation. Jacques Sax joined the stream from Lausanne, where he appears to have very nice offices in a building constructed in 1813 :)

History of the company: https://www.sonosax.ch/sonosax-history/

I think that most of the people who watched the stream know which company is causing the problem in the U.S. and that very few would be dissuaded from purchasing Sonosax's new preamp. I just mentioned it because it was kind of an amusing moment.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Yes, there's some sort of patent restriction with Zaxcom, I believe; the Sonosax R4+ recorder sold in the US has a reduced dynamic range compared with the versions sold elsewhere (including Canada). Oddly enough, though, the M2D2 preamp does not have a different US model and if you buy it in the US you get the full dynamic range. Maybe the restriction depends on the number of inputs or something, it's very mysterious.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

robedge

PostFri May 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Today's session featured presentations by Lectrosonics, Sound Devices/Audio Limited and Sony on wireless, and Jon Tatooles and Paul Isaacs gave an intro to Dante. Detailed info on Dante here: https://www.audinate.com. Sony also talked about an interesting new lavaliere called the ECM-90.

K-Tek has new boom poles, including a 6' pole that collapses to 21", and new Stingray bags as well as several accessories. Good presentation by French boom pole maker VdB, intriguing enough that I want to look at one. In the U.S., Gotham Sound and Trew are dealers and carry spare parts.

As someone who uses Schoeps microphones and may soon purchase an additional preamp, I was interested in its presentation about the new CMC 1. This preamp is significantly shorter than the CMC 6. This makes it attractive, with the caveat that the short length has ramifications for wind protection. Cinela and Rycote have made special shock mounts, etc. for the CMC 1, but that's because the preamp is too short for current mounts. It's also unclear what the wind protection solution is if one doesn't want to use a shock mount. The preamp is too short for the Cinela Leo, which I often use without a shock mount with CMC 6 preamps.

Jacques Sax showed a video of sound mixer Stuart Wilson working a Sonosax analogue mixing board on the set of 1917, for which Wilson won the Academy Award. The video shows a true master at work, and impressed even highly experienced viewers of the stream. Alas, the mixing board is way out of my price range.

Both days’ sessions are now available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_fjEF ... eVjtO1jfzw

robedge

PostFri May 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Here’s Sonosax’s video presentation from earlier today on its analogue mixing boards. The overhead footage of Stuart Wilson mixing on the set of 1917 is from 05:35 to 08:42. Wikipedia entry on Wilson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Wi ... d_engineer)

If you want to purchase the compact version of Wilson’s mixer, here’s the order page with options :)

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-es64-es84/

rick.lang

PostSat May 02, 2020 12:23 am

That’s another very informative day! Thanks very much for the links and comments.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostSat May 02, 2020 1:41 am

rick.lang wrote:That’s another very informative day! Thanks very much for the links and comments.

Hi Rick,

I think that Sound Devices did a great job organising this and I hope that it becomes an annual or semi-annual event. I got a better feel for some of these companies, and have a couple on my radar that weren't before, without having to spend a day walking off my feet at the New York NAB/AES show. The video presentations weren't slick, but I liked them the better for it. Unusually for YouTube, the questions and comments in chat were mostly knowledgeable and useful.

There are things that an event like this can't accommodate, such as getting a demo of Meyer Sound's $80,000 speaker system, but for many purposes it strikes me as more efficient than a trade show with far less hassle.

Cheers

rick.lang

PostSat May 02, 2020 3:43 am

I’ve been disappointed that more firms haven’t taken this approach. Inviting a variety of experts and vendors to show their wares and participate in a discussion. You don’t get that cooperation of course at NAB where each vendor is an island. The folks who put on NAB 2020 Las Vegas said they had a virtual show in the works, but I don’t know when we’ll see it if ever.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:24 pm

I should have mentioned that Ambient is replacing its entire QXS series of boom poles. So far, Gotham Sound is the only reseller to list the new poles on its web site, although without prices or launch date. Ambient’s US distributor, Redding Audio, says that the new boom poles should be available in about six weeks.

Brad Hurley

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks for that news. I've had my eye on the Ambient boompoles for a while and plan to get one later this year. Since I record in M/S I need one with 5-pin (stereo) XLR and surprisingly not all boom pole manufacturers offer internally cabled poles with this option. Ambient does.

robedge

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Thanks for that news. I've had my eye on the Ambient boompoles for a while and plan to get one later this year. Since I record in M/S I need one with 5-pin (stereo) XLR and surprisingly not all boom pole manufacturers offer internally cabled poles with this option. Ambient does.

Hi Brad,

I’ve been looking at stereo options myself. VdB also offers 5-pin stereo XLR. From the video above, it looks like the new Ambient poles will essentially copy VdB’s 1/4 turn locking system and ability to pass through an XLR connector.

Also, Gitzo is back in the boom pole business. Its four poles are variations on their monopods, one of which I have and am very happy with. Gitzo’s pricing of these poles is quite competitive. They are sold uncabled, but I’m sure that one could use a 5-pin stereo cable. On one of the poles (GB4541) the top and bottom diameters are both quite wide enough to pass an XLR connection through both ends.

This was VdB’s presentation. Located in south-west France, it is Sound Devices’s French distributor. Trew and Gotham Sound sell its boom poles in the US/Canada. There might also be a reseller in Montréal.

Last edited by robedge on Sun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:03 pm

robedge wrote:This was VdB’s presentation. Located in south-west France, it is Sound Devices’s French distributor. Trew and Gotham Sound sell its boom poles in the US/Canada. There might also be a reseller in Montréal.
I

Et voilà! The place where I get all my audio equipment sells VdB: http://www.economik.com/products/shop-b ... boompoles/

I'll check 'em out.

robedge

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Et voilà! The place where I get all my audio equipment sells VdB: http://www.economik.com/products/shop-b ... boompoles/

I'll check 'em out.

In addition to the boom poles shown on the Montreal site, VdB makes a 5' model called a BB. Even with the exchange and sales tax, the prices quoted are high. On a purchase, it might be worth checking Trew in Toronto or Gotham in New York.

On April 10 on its Facebook site, VdB also showed some quite short poles that are not on its web site:

:
VbB.jpg
VbB.jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 4757 times

robedge

PostSun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm

I've also thought about addressing the "stereo on a boom" issue by using the monopod part of this rig and cabling externally. The monopod is not terribly long (64"), but the tripod could be retained and collapsed for additional length, or alternatively a longer monopod could be purchased. The new Gitzo boom poles, according to one of its reps, are essentially variations on its monopods, and I think that this would work fine with ORTF, XY or Mid-Side.

Once you're talking about using a boom pole to record in stereo, I don't see that internal cabling has any advantage over external, and a setup like this kills two birds with one stone.

That said, I'm interested in adding to my K-Tek Klassic boom pole, and a pole designed with stereo as well as mono cabling in mind is like chicken soup, couldn't hurt :)

3-mikes-rear.jpg
3-mikes-rear.jpg (479.69 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

rick.lang

PostSun May 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Excellent information on boom poles. I like dealing with Trew in Vancouver and the VbB option available from Trew seems like a good choice to me. The sincere daughter of the founder could sell me a “swamp in Arizona” so anyone who develops a boom pole from a fishing pole sounds perfect.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostSun May 03, 2020 10:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:Excellent information on boom poles. I like dealing with Trew in Vancouver and the VbB option available from Trew seems like a good choice to me. The sincere daughter of the founder could sell me a “swamp in Arizona” so anyone who develops a boom pole from a fishing pole sounds perfect.

Plus it's a great excuse to drop by the Pyrénées-Atlantiques, pick up a bottle of Irouléguy, some Pau/Bayonne ham and Ossau-Iraty, one of my favourite cheeses, and drop by VdB to pick out a boom pole :)

Mr. Hurley, who appears to spend a good deal of time in France, might be thinking that himself.

rick.lang

PostMon May 04, 2020 3:47 pm

And pop into see Proaim gearheads and how they manage Dutch angles.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostMon May 04, 2020 6:51 pm

rick.lang wrote:And pop into see Proaim gearheads and how they manage Dutch angles.

Different montagnes, that would be the Rocheuses Pacifiques :)

robedge

PostWed May 06, 2020 3:21 am

As a result of the Sound Summit, I had a look at VdB’s lineup, and I ordered VdB’s short Hand QT-2 today (see six posts up or VdB’s April 10 Facebook entry). There are a number of hand grips on the market for pencil condenser mikes, made by Rycote, K-Tek and others, but this is the only one, outside of selfie sticks, that can be extended. It has a minimum length of 24cm and a maximum length of 40cm/16”.

This telescoping grip/pole is going to be very handy, and will also give me a sense of VdB quality before I compare a couple of its boom poles to the new Ambient poles next month.

I expect to receive the VdB Hand next week and may post one or two photos of it in use.

robedge

Re: Location Sound Summit 2020: Oct 1-2

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 6:55 pm

The second Sound Summit will be held tomorrow (October 1) and Friday (October 2). There is no fee. Details here: https://thesoundsummit.org

Jon Tatooles, co-founder of Sound Devices, moderated the April Summit. It was not a slick event, which is one of the things that I liked about it, and I doubt that this will be slick either.

This is the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_fjEF ... eVjtO1jfzw

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.54.00.jpg
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.54.00.jpg (115.85 KiB) Viewed 3487 times

robedge

Re: Location Sound Summit 2020: Oct 1-2 (Free)

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 8:17 pm

The playlist for last week's Sound Summit is now up, although I think that there's more to come: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9famjsG_Qa

DPA showed a number of mikes, including this 4097 "micro shotgun" (actually a supercardiod). I would like to have heard a comparison with a DPA 4060 omni during the car sequence, but in principle it's an interesting mike. I have the MMA iOS interface that the presenter talks about toward the end of the video. As he says, it's also an interesting option as a top of camera mike. At US$510, I think the 4097 is attractively priced, and I may purchase one:

B&H link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... otgun.html

DPA also did a good overview of its line of microphones:

Last edited by robedge on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robedge

Re: Location Sound Summit 2020: Oct 1-2 (Free)

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Jacques Sax presented several videos, including this one with French sound recordist/mixer François Musy. Musy has won two César awards for sound. Stuart Wilson used the same Sonosax mixing board that Musy uses for 1917. The price of the board is out of my league, and I don't need one anyway, but I'm still trying to come up with an excuse to buy a Sonosax recorder:

This Sonosax video with classical music sound engineer Hudson Fair was an eye-opener on recording music. Also, the first time I've seen someone provide an intelligible, and in this case interesting, reason to record the human voice in stereo:

robedge

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 7:05 pm

The playlist now includes another Lectrosonics presentation and Schoeps's presentation of a new microphone preamp called the CMC 1 L. The theme of the Schoeps video is miniaturisation. After talking about the company's history with miniaturisation (I found it interesting), the presentation on the preamp proper starts at 7 minutes:

For me, the practical issue with Schoeps's new line of preamps, which started with last year's CMC 1 U, is that these microphones (preamp plus capsule) are too short to use in existing shock mounts and windjammers. The CMC 6 preamp in the first screen capture below is what most Schoeps owners are using. The Cinela and Rycote wind protectors that I use with CMC 6 preamps just won't work with these new ones. So far, Cinela seems to be the only company making shock mounts for them (second screen capture, MINIX and OSIX), and like everything Cinela makes they are expensive.

Two screen captures from the video...

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 2.42.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 2.42.04 PM.png (192.33 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 2.43.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 2.43.51 PM.png (206.41 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

robedge

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Sound Devices has added more videos to its Sound Summit Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9famjsG_Qa

This Ursa Straps video, at 0:30, mentions its Head Strap. This strap was developed for Simon Hayes for Cats. DPA says that the acoustically best place to mount one of its lavaliere microphones, and I suspect other lavs, is on the forehead. I've found that the Ursa Head Strap is perfect for that, and also eliminates the problem of clothing rustle. It can be hidden with a wool hat. It's also very useful for managing cable if you want to use two lavs, one in each ear, to record binaurally. I've also used one to record narration for video.

At 0:45, he talks about the flexible Q5X transmitters that professional athletes use, and that are also used on reality TV shows. I'd love to try one. The video is mistaken about where these transmitters are made. Q5X is located in London, Ontario, Canada: https://www.q5x.com

Ursa Head Strap video:

Q5X Transmitters:

Q5X.jpg
Q5X.jpg (167.44 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

Return to Cinematography