--- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide --- The best way to do it

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Eric-Jan

--- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide --- The best way to do it

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm

2023 update:

Warning: this guide needs to be followed exactly into detail, capturing analog video is getting harder these days, with recent (new) computer hardware and operating systems, using new hardware it would be better, to use non consumer analog to digital converters like to SDI or HDMI, and use a SDI/HDMI PCIe card to record.

Equipment used:
    1. VCR-DVR combo Panasonic DMR-ES35V (SCART version) (USA NTSC version has also TBC functionality)
    2.Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt2)
    3.MacBook Pro 13" (early2015) MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

Before buying any of the Intensity series devices, look for what interface you need on your PC or MAC computer, Thunderbolt 2, or USB 3, old MAC's have Thunderbolt 2, the newer have Thunderbold3/USB-C/USB-3
(Thunderbolt 2 is faster then USB-3)
(Thunderbolt 2 works only with Thunderbolt 2)

For any capture or converter device it should support PAL 625i or NTSC 525i this is the analog format,
that needs to be converted to digital > 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC)

Check your Apple hardware version for interface compatible devices < link

For Windows you need to have the corresponding interface also, PCI, or USB3,

List of computers that works with BMD USB3.0 products <link

The Intensity series capture devices have different resolution options, check this before buying,
it could be a deal breaker in your use case scenario.

Install the software that comes with the Intensity, in this case: the Desktop Video Setup utility and Media Express (BMD app) (the Desktop Video Setup utility will be installed in the System Settings of the Launch Pad with Mac OS)

Better... download the latest Desktop Video software (Media Express is included) on the BlackMagic Design website > Support tab > scroll page > left collum frame, Latest Downloads also scroll here, until Desktop Video, > choose your Operating System button, choose for registration or Download Only, when complete, start the file, and follow instructions.
(Due to stronger security features on latest MAC OS versions, you must be very alert)
(if you have added codecs from 3rd parties, you need to re-install Desktop Video Setup)

You only can set the capture input specs in these apps when the Intensity (Shuttle) is operational,
(check these settings before each startup of the device and the software, with me it was sometimes changed for no reason, in future versions this might have been solved)

Most important: know your hardware !, and it's limitations, depending where you live, or the tapes you want to capture, The (analog) tv sytem can be:

NTSC or PAL
SECAM is used sparingly around the world and can be found in France, parts of Greece, Eastern Europe, Russia, and Africa.

BMD software has no SECAM/MESECAM settings, the vcr needs to be compatible/convert SECAM/MESECAM
(most of the time only NTSC or PAL will be outputed, conversion is done within the VCR/DVR)

be sure the VHS tape is in the correct tv system standard as the playing VHS player/VCR, (or switch to it) adjust tracking for optimal video and sound quality, before capturing.

Important:

Your VCR needs to give a stable video signal , (the BMD products are "semi professional" products)
A Super VHS VCR with a feature called: TBC can give good results, but is no guarantee

The Panasonic DMR-ES35V has component (RCA red,green,blue) video output,which does a good job, if your vcr/combo has also component video out for the VHS part (in case of a VHS vcr or combo), check in the manual how to put it in progressive mode,
The ES35V (recorder combo) gives on the RCA, s-video, and component video output a stable video signal, setting the combo/dvd recorder to progressive will also give YUV output, not RGB, (YUV is what you need to capture)

Trying to capture from HDMI on consumer devices output will fail most of the time, (Copyright protection precaution) (HDCP) with exeption of video/photo camera's and DSLR's (with HDMI connection) ( but for video camera equipment... the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder will do also fine, which has a HDMI and a SDI input, but has only a Thunderbolt 2 interface mostly used on older Mac's, Mac's from make year of 2016 and onwards have Thunderbolt 3. Check for max resolution frame rate limit on the Intensity interlaced and progessive, with specs of camera in that case)

Capture will also fail due to build-in copy protection or encryption, (or Macrovision)(PAL60/NTSC50 will also not work) BMD hardware/software will not defeat any copyright protections, and should not be asked for on any BlackMagic forum, due to legal issues.
-

The PAL/NTSC system specs (interlaced most of the time) should be set in the Desktop Video Setup utility, (also select the input you are going to use of the Intensity Shuttle) Media Express should be set with these also, (checkout the tabs) plus the codec you want to use: compressed, or uncompressed, uncompressed will need more storage space, and is overkill for the VHS quality, compressed will give slower data transfer rates, which is an advantage with "not so" fast storage devices.
This said, you can get dropped frames by using a too slow storage device during the capture, try to use a stronger compressing (ProRes?) codec
Fast storage like SSD/m.2 is preferred.

Connections:

Depending on the VCR, try to use the optimal quality output connection present, in this order: component > red,green,blue RCA plugs, S-Video > mini DIN plug, composite > yellow RCA plug, audio/sound (analog) > right channel > red RCA plug, left channel > white RCA plug.
when component video output is available.this will be the best option for VHS capture. component video output will sometimes also be available on DVD recorders, on combo devices this is sometimes only for dvd player output and not for the vhs "player" check this with the manual.

(s-video connection might also be available through a SCART connector (if this is an option) check the manual also for this)

also important:
Old equipment

Old equipment not used for a long time, should first be on room temperature, then checked with tapes you can spare: empty/no recordings on, to be sure the cassette/tape loading mechanism, and tracking still works correctly, if the player does not track correctly after adjusting, the tape can also be damaged, or the tape becomes "salad" in the player, and has to be cut out of, or the cassette can't be removed, and the player/vcr needs to be opened, to save some of rare recordings you made in the past, repair of this machine is in most cases not an option, and you have to search for a 2nd hand replacement player/vcr

Capturing:

If all has been correctly set, and you have Media Express running, select the red capture tab, and if the tape is running in the VCR you should now see the video capture, and see moving sound bars, (capture starts when you click on the red capture button) if the green audio bars are showing red tops, the sound is too loud, and you should un-check the HiFi option under the audio tab of the Desktop Video Setup app in the System Settings app from the Mac Launch Pad app. you also need to slide the linked audio sliders to the left, to decrease the sound volume, with me sound was way too loud with some tapes.
(Some VHS combo's/recorders you can set for a grey screen-output when there's no video input, this will help to see if the resolution is correctly set in the Shuttle software, with no video at all, the software will also create a blue screen)

Capture codec setting:

In Media Express you can choose for uncompressed, or ProRes422 codec (compressed format) as your capture file format for VHS, ProRes422 LT is good enough is my experience (ProRes422 might be slightly better, but gives larger files), it doesn't make too large files, and has a low transfer write speed to a (internal/external) storage drive, SSD or HDD (too fast data rate can cause dropped frames)
Uncompressed codecs will have have high data transfer rates, and will create (very) large files,

ProRes422... (compressed) codec(s) are designed (by Apple) for having smooth post edit work, and are used professionaly, checkout Apple's white paper about this for details, > file sizes & quality

Your digital capture (output) resolution format will be: (NTSC= 720x480, PAL=720x576 )
the frame rate in progressive of interlaced mode will be that from the source you are capturing from.
(These digital formats will show more of the "image" you used to see on a CRT tv > overscan)

Best results:

It's best to try with short captures, to see the results at once, and experiment with different settings,
(check if "tracking" is optimal, if this is not done automaticly, or you want to set this to "manual" if this causes the On Screen Display to appear, and adjust by hand before captures are made)
(sound drop outs could come from not optimizes tracking)

Keep in mind you will see much more detail now, then when you watched it on a regular Cathode Ray Tube Television, in "the olden days" :)
If you want to burn your video to a video DVD, you should compress the capture to MPEG2,
Check your edit prog. which input file formats it will accept, otherwise use Davinci Resolve, this free version does not de-interlace.

Tips:

Using Davinci Resolve you have some nice options, like Crop, and Transform, because you see much more of the image surface then on an analog CRT tv at the surrounding borders of the capture, and in the end you put a clean 720x480 or 720x576 (depending on NTSC or PAL) capture in your "render/deliver" list in Davinci Resolve.
You may prefer to "mask" the "dirty" borders, or you might want to remove them, by removing them, you will slightly enlarge the video image, which gives a lower resolution, which might not be prefered.
(You can't capture from within Davinci Resolve, or it should be corrected in later versions, but not that i know of)

final notes
Recently i also did some tests with the JVC HR-S8960 which has aslo some sort of TBC, but this recorder gives some more noticeable "video-dirt" artifacts, (using composite/s-video output) if you have a choice, test with different playback recorders, depending on the video material this will matter.
Long play VHS recordings will best be played on multiple heads vcr's (4 or 6) since these extra heads were designed for that purpose,(if you still get dropped frames, try transfering through a DV box or a DV/Digital8 camera)
(DV/iLink/Firewire is not well supported on the MAC OS, Window$ does a better job at that)

A professional TBC can make a analog video signal steady, this is something i don't have any experience with, these devices are hard to get and can be expensive, a suitable "consumer" VHS/DVD recorder combo or DVD-recorder as passthrough device might be easier to find 2nd hand, and will be cheaper.
(Try your local thrift store for that.

I only changed the sound settings in the Desktop Video Setup app. so no color corrections during the capture.
You might want to set the video settings if you are using a different video in/output, and watch for skin tones, or use a recorded (color) test pattern, once set, leave these so, and only correct in post if needed.

You can convert to MP4 depending the usage: storage, Youtube, Vimeo, iPhone iPad, Smartdevice, (BMD Davinci Resolve) h.265 will make even smaller files but is mainly used for compressing 4K resolution footage.

Davinci Resolve has also options for easy color correcting, a white and a black pipet, to set and pick the colors, between the white and black levels from there, you can do some final fine adjustments.

I hope i covered some "needs" this way for starting in video capturing, otherwise, let me know... and feel free to comment.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:47 am, edited 50 times in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Eric-Jan

Re: --- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide ---

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 9:26 am

Update: i recently did some adjustments in the video settings for the component input, (Video Desktop Setup) which is a bit "flat" in default settings, when you compare them to the original or s-video color input colors.
Upscaling during capture does not work for me, maybe this is only for the HDMI input, i have no experience with that sofar, Davinci Resolve can do everything you want in post, before importing your capture in Davinci you can set your project settings in Davinci, and after the import, you can "fit" your captured video within that quiet easily,
and you see the result instantly.
Because my VCR can output progressive over de component outputs, i don't need to de-interlace in Davinci,
which is a paid function in the Studio version, so you can do first a Quicktime ProRes422 "Delivery" with Davinci, and render with a converter of your own choice.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Shannara

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you for this guide!

I have a few VHS tapes from the 90s, and a mini-dv tape of my wedding from 2001. I really, really, need to get them converted to digital.

Thank you for the guide. It points me in the right direction to get this done.

~Shann
Windows 10.0.17134.285 Pro X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.1.1

Eric-Jan

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Thankyou for your praise,
Do you already have some equipment ? VCR/DVR ? do you have still a miniDV camera, does it have a Firewire connection ? do you have a capture device, Mac or Windows pc or laptop ?

Shannara

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Good Morning :)

I think I might have the miniDV camera in a 10 year old box somewhere. It is firewire, and I have (or had) a firewire PCIe card somewhere. I still have the tape though.

I am thinking, I might have to find some sort of player only for VHS and mini-dv and plug it directly into my windows box.
Windows 10.0.17134.285 Pro X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.1.1

Eric-Jan

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 3:01 pm

A VHS VCR from JVC or Panasonic might be a good choice, some of the later models have a build-in Time Base Corrector, well.... some sort because you can't compair it to a broadcast quality one...
A DVD recorder can also be used, as a passthrough, if it is not a combinaton of VCR & DVD...
if it has also component video output that would be even better, composite and s-video outputs give a foggy smeared image compaired to that.
The Infinity Shuttle USB3 version can only be used with a select choice of USB chip sets/motherboards, (there's a list on the BlackMagic Design website in the Support section.
Don't know if your miniDV camera has a video input....
Davinci Resolve runs on my MacBook Pro (early2015) on a Windows PC/laptop, it needs a fair amount of resources.
With Media Express you can capture compressed to storage in ProRes, which saves CPU resources.
Just a "normal" old VCR will be no good to capture, and to find a good TBC is not an easy task, you should not try to find a TBC, an good VCR would be a better choice, and save a lot of troubles.
the recycle store has often one that can be used, better name the type here, before buying, a PDF manual of it is easy to find online.

Piercarlo

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Great stuff, thank you very much!

I'm on the verge of buying a Blackmagic Instensity Shuttle, but before making up my mind (it's not cheap!) I need to know a couple of things. Hope you can help me.

The reason of my purchase would be converting my old VHS tapes to transport stream (ts) files. I already have a vintage DVD recorder and it coverts my tapes to DVD in decent quality. But the resolution is only 720*576 pixels. I thought about buying a device which can capture in bigger resolution (the aim is 1920*1080) in the hope of getting even better quality. In theory, the quality of a 1920*1080 pixel file is better than a 720*576.

Let's say I buy a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. Would I be able to capture VHS videos in 1920*1080 (interlaced, 25 fps) resolution? Is it possible with a Media Express software? Would the quality be better if I use 1920*1080 pixels instead of 720*576?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jack Fairley

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Quality won't be better, the source material is not 1920x1080.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Eric-Jan

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 pm

(VHS is not 1920x1080, only when it is upscaled by a device, but quality=analog PAL/NTSC)
Your tv/screen will scale it to full screen, no need to scale your capture, there will be no difference, it only could make things worse.
see it as a chess board.... enlarge the board, and you will also enlarge the "places" on it.
so transferring to DVD will be just fine for you, because DVD quality is allready higher in quality than VHS,
in fact, capturing (by composite?) could give some losses through the composite video connection(s)
A VHS/DVD combo recorder would be a good choice if you "only" need DVD as end result, DVD recorders will also give the choice of amount of compression.
You could also use these files created,(DVD Recorder/video converter) in a DVD authoring application, to add nice graphical menu's

ghammons

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 am

Eric, will the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt work with a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 3? If so what adapter would I need?

Eric-Jan

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Don't have experience with that, i have a MacBook Pro early 2015 which is Thunderbold2,
You should ask this in the "Live Production" BMD forum group, if it can be "adapted" you should look for a Apple brand adapter. only trust answers from BMD or people talking from their own experience.

I found these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55599
It looks like the BMD-IS is detected, but it will not capture through a Thunderbolt 3 >2 adapter.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

better is to contact BMD by email for this, i could not find a real conclusive answer yet.

It also seems to be a power issue, the Intensity Shuttle receives no power to operate through the adapter.

genti77

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Hello,

I've got Intensity Shuttle USB and I'm looking to capture some of my VHS and Video8 tapes.
I read some posts regarding TBC, and since my Sony handycam flickers I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed keeping in mind I can't afford a proper TBC.

I don't have a VCR but I have a chance to get a Panasonic NV-FS200 (i.e. AG-1980) since I see in some forums say it can do pretty decent job. Now my question is can I also use the NV-FS200 as a 'passthrough' for the handycam. If not I read that some DVD recorders or VCR/DVD combos can be used for that purpose so I would appreciate if some one can advice on a brand/model. (I could get SONY RDR-VX410 for $30)

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 5:50 pm

You should allways go for a VCR or DVR with build-in TBC, most "normal" VCR's or analog handycams give not a stable signal to have it to be captured in a good way on a BMD device, (BMD have only pro devices)
I presume you have your Intensity Shuttle working in a good way with your PC over USB....
An option without the Intensity Shuttle would be a DVD/HDD recorder, and capturing the video input on DVD RAM disc/HDD if that's an option, and converting those MPEG? files to what ever format, the low resolution VHS or 8mm video quality will alow to do this.
With analog video, the BlackMagicDesign products expect a clean, good analog video signal,
Some VCR's without build in TBC give that, but that's more an exeption than a rule, and you will have dropped frames, these kind of questions about vcr's or DVDr's you should ask in fora like the one on Videohelp...
BTW... TBC is a wide understanding, different machines with it have different qualities in that range.
If a device like recorder has an option to output VHS over component video, you should go for it, but watch out, not all combo's output VHS over component uotput, it was mostly done for the DVD player on most models,
my Panasonic ES35V VCR/DVR combo does output VHS over component i discovered, since i did not expect this at first, you also have the advantage/option to output straight into progressive mode like 720x480p or 720x576p since this was meant to be an output for a LCD/Plasma screen in those days.
You should avoid any HDMI connection because of it's "communication" protocol or build in encryption...
BMD hardware does not defeat any protection sceme, like present on copyright protected media or streams,
you should look elsewhere if that's the case.
Hope this answers your questions, i will be happy to help you further if needed !

edit>
by reading the manual just now, of the SONY RDR-VX410, i see, has also component video output, but the manual doesn't mention if this is also for VHS playback... so maybe it can output VHS over component... it's a gamble if it wil work for VHS, but i would take the gamble,(for that price) this combo has some nice features ! go for it,(if it's working model) VHS machines are running scares anyway, even more like this one with DVR ! it will also play those chinese video-cd's, no compatability with dvdram discs though :(
Since the SONY RDR-VX410 is a recorder combo you make a good chance it will meet your requirements.
The AG-1980 is a edit VHS deck i see.. with a TBC,(so it can be used as a pass-through) this would also an option for you, but i like SONY RDR-VX410 more, if it can play VHS also over it's component video output, this would be ideal in combination with the Intensity Shuttle !

btw. i read in the forums that the Panasonic NV-FS200 is a PAL version of the AG-1980, you have PAL VHS tapes & the 8mm camcorder has PAL video output ?

edit>
just found it in the manual: VHS will also output over component video output, (see attachment), but the manual doesn't mention any build in TBC....
The Panasonic NV-FS200 (PAL) does have a TBC, and can be used as pass-through,
If the Panasonic NV-FS200 is fully functional, and comes with it's remote, it's a sure bet,
For the price you mentioned and if functional with remote, i would buy the SONY RDR-VX410 also :)
you can allways compare quality, and see if you get better captures with it's component video output.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 15.18.57.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 15.18.57.png (44.13 KiB) Viewed 256924 times

genti77

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Eric-Jan Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer.

I will get the equipment and try the setup, hopefully I'll get some good results.
I also did a gamble and purchased a Panasonic DMR-ES15 from ebay (owner says cant try it since doesn't have a power cable) and if it works I plan to use it as external TBC for pass-through.

So my setup would be:
for VHS: FS200 -> DMR-ES15 -> BMD Shuttle
for Video8: Handycam CCD-TRV45E -> DMR-ES15 -> BMD Shuttle

In this case I probably don't need the SONY RDR-VX410 though.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Well if it does not work as a TBC, and the DVD burner still works, you can make DVD copies of your tapes.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostFri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm

I just checked the DMR-ES15 manual, and the component video output will have best result connecting it to the Intensity Shuttle, You should also set the progresive mode, so you don't have to do any de-interlacing in post,
Because it's progresive, you can use Davinci Resolve to do your editing and color correcting, Davinci Resolve is free, and easy to work with, and has many options, if your system can't handle Davinci Resolve, Movavi or Openshot are also some feature rich video editors.
First try the FS200 without the DMR-E15, The FS200 should be enough in both cases for you, as player for VHS, and as passthrough for de 8mm camcorder, i have my doubts about the DMR-E15, because what that seller says about it.
I like the Sony option more, because of the features,(dvd & vhs recorder) but having no TBC, makes it only usable for straight to DVD transfer, where you can use the disc, or it's MPEG2 files.

Martin Nelson

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Eric-Jan,

What a generous sharing this is. Thank you. I feel I may have simply overlooked this, but I did not find in your posting, nor have I found anywhere else, what connector I should use when trying to input composite from a single (as opposed to R,G and B) output.

I hope to capture some old VHS from an old VCR. I have the Intensity Pro 4K and the breakout cable. I know from reading your post that I may have no luck as it is unlikely my VCR has a built-in TBC. But I would like to see what happens. However, the deck has only a single composite (RCA connector) output for Video and only one for Audio. Obviously, I can simply choose left or right input for Audio.

But what do I choose for Video input when I only have a single output?

Thanks,
Martin

MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core
OS10.13.6
Samsung 850 EVO system drive
32 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Intensity Pro 4K 10.11.4
Media Composer v2018.11.0
Premiere 2019 v13.0.2
Media Encoder v13.0.2.39
Character Animator v2.0.1
Photoshop 2019 v13.0.2

Eric-Jan

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Thank you for your compliment !
quote:

"Depending on the VCR, try to use the optimal quality output connection present, in this order: component, S-Video or Composite, and audio will come from the analog (red=right white is left) RCA connections, ..."

I did not mention the type or color, though... my mistake.. (i'll update that soon)

if s-video mini-DIN (output) is available,(on the back of the vcr) this would be better then composite.
, composite would be the yellow RCA (tulip?) connector
If your vcr has also SCART connectors on it's back side, the S-video connection might be available through that connector, you should check your vcr's manual for that.

btw .. keep in mind that R, G, B, only refers to the color of the RCA plugs, not to R, G, B, from a SCART plug,
R, G, B, will, in this case be intended for RGB for input to a CRT tv for better picture quality.

Martin Nelson

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:53 pm

composite would be the yellow RCA (tulip?) connector

Eric-Jan,

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. This is a pretty basic VCR and the single RCA connector and a coaxial are all that are available.

The 'Y In' connector (which is green on my breakout cable, despite representing yellow) worked. And, by the way, even without any sort of TBC, I seem to be getting a stable signal. Footage is pretty ugly after a decade plus of looking at HD, but I'm getting what I came for.

Thanks again for your help.
Martin

MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core
OS10.13.6
Samsung 850 EVO system drive
32 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Intensity Pro 4K 10.11.4
Media Composer v2018.11.0
Premiere 2019 v13.0.2
Media Encoder v13.0.2.39
Character Animator v2.0.1
Photoshop 2019 v13.0.2

Eric-Jan

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 12:59 am

Nice to hear ! There's a big chance your device(s) already have build in TBC, or are just in good state,
I like to know the brand, and type for further refference, it could also help other people with the same equipment, or for which equipment to buy.
I also will look into the manual specs, because it's easy to find (pdf) manuals online.(even service manuals, with "secrets") :)

balmyhoney

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 am

Hi Jan, thank you for all the information and dedication to others.

I have a very similar problem to the one described by Martin Nelson. Please excuse, I am an absolute beginner. I am looking to digitize a large number of VHS tapes with an Intensity Pro (not 4K) that I just bought and installed into my Windows 10 PC for that purpose. I also bought an Sony SLV-N71 on craigslist, and it seems to be playing the tape. I want to digitize the tapes strictly for the documentary evidence they provide--that is, image quality and even skipped frames doesn't concern me.

I do not seem to be getting a signal: "If all has been correctly set, and you have Media Express running, select the red capture tab, and if the tape is running in the VCR you should now see the video capture, and see moving sound bars"

I have the tape on play, but only see black in the "capture" window. I have a yellow composite "out" on my vcr, as well as white and red audio "outs." I am assuming that, just like Martin, I should connect the composite yellow "out" to the green "8 Y In" on the breakout cable, and the red and white audio "outs" to the red and white audio "ins." Then I should select "composite" as my input connection in the desktop video setup application.

Nothing is working, even if I shift to the other "in" cables. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Best,

Oskar

Eric-Jan

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 9:41 pm

What i don't see you mentioning, is the tv settings format, this should be correctly set in both the Desktop Video Setup util/driver and Mediaexpress (prefferences) 525i59.94 NTSC if NTSC is your tv system...
or 625i50 PAL if PAL is your tv system
Otherwise your VCR can't deliver a stable enough video signal, looking at the manual for this vcr, i can't discover an build in TBC function, a JVC or Panasonic vcr or combo recorder with TBC would be a better "workhorse"
I guess you want the MP4 video format as end result ? if not you could look for a DVD recorder and burn discs directly that way. best option would be a VCR/DVD combo recorder, which you also can use as passthrough.

btw. A VCR/DVD recorder combo is a easy to do option, because of the build in functions, if i want to duplicate straight onto DVD, i set the counter of the tape to 0000 at the start and fastforward to the end and watch where the time counter stops at the end of the planned playback piece of the tape, i rewind the tape to 0000,
and program the DVD recorder to COPY that time segment of the tape.
That way it is a automated process, if the disc needs no further recordings, you can program it also to finalize,
this is a harware only setup this way,

Capturing on the pc you would capture the tape completly, and edit/cut parts not needed later, if that's possible in your case, I use the ProRes422LT codec, which doesn't make a too large file.

Clinton Vadnais

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks for this guide and information. I'm setting up my latest rig to finally try to capture my VHS collection. Mostly concert bootlegs recordings and the like. One thing I still get a little confused with. I'm NTSC and I guess since I have only S-Video and Composite on my S-VHS I have to go interlaced. I used to try to use scaling hardware to upscale but found that the interlacing always or often left artifacts even when the scalers should have been dealing with it. When I look at the Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) for the capture device the specs mention SD Video Standards:
625i50 PAL, 525i59.94 NTSC, 625p50 PAL, 525p59.94 NTSC. Why is 720x480 not there? What are you doing in your workflow? Thanks so much.

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Actually, 525i94 is 720x480, just another way of noting it, like some manufacturers use 60i to deonote 59.94i. So for NTSC SD, use the 525i94 setting, and it should work just fine, as long as the VCR is outputting a good continuous time code signal, otherwise you may need an goo time base corrector between the vcr and computer.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Eric-Jan

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm

when you capture an analog signal that are lines, you convert it to digital,
so, NTSC = 525lines interlaced = one frame = two interlaced fields.
Your capture result will be digital 720x480i good de-interlacing will make aprox. 60 (59.94) pictures per second out of that.
There's a lot to google about de-interlacing, Yadif seems a good one, like i said with me the VCR does this job for me, so i don't have much experience with that, some people say you shouldn't de-interlace.

Because movement in the video image isn't allways within the two fields of a frame, making analog to digital picture quality suffers from this, and you have jagged artifects with movement in the video image,
so an image doesn't seem to be " complete" not one sharp image.
Sometimes the field order is in an other order, and picture seems to go back one step before it goes forward,
then some settings need to be changed, depending on which software you are using,
When i searched one time for this, i noticed there's a lot of confusing among FinalCutProX users,
so my guess is that FinalCutProX does not handle this well, de-interlacing is not much needed, only with
analog video capturing i guess...
I'm going to do some research, Youtube :) and i will add this also to my original post, "work still in progress" :D
https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x- ... -timeline/

the frame rate depends on the AC frequency of the mains in your country, it's a "legacy" of the "olden days"
i live in the Netherlands (PAL) here the frame rate is 50(Hz)
It's a subject on it's own > frame rate, and why the movie industry choose for 24 frames/second > sound.....
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Actually, 525i94 is 720x480, just another way of noting it, like some manufacturers use 60i to deonote 59.94i. So for NTSC SD, use the 525i94 setting, and it should work just fine, as long as the VCR is outputting a good continuous time code signal, otherwise you may need an good time base corrector between the vcr and computer.
Cheers

remark: Some people are very relaxed to talk about external Time Base Correctors, this is also a subject on it's own, where there are different TBC's for different "corrections", so which, or even when available, not an easy task for someone to start with, a VCR or VCR/DVD recorder combo with build-in TBC would be easier to find, and a good chance for it to work with a BlackMagic Design capture device. Panasonic or JVC are populair for this reason, also, once when all the analog material is transfered, the equipment is not needed anymore, most of the time.

The options given in MediaExpress for PAL are also a bit confusing: 625i50 PAL & 625p50 PAL ....
capturing 625i50 will give 720x576i25
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 20.45.17.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 20.45.17.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 255585 times

Clinton Vadnais

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:40 am

Denny Smith wrote:Actually, 525i94 is 720x480, just another way of noting it, like some manufacturers use 60i to deonote 59.94i. So for NTSC SD, use the 525i94 setting, and it should work just fine, as long as the VCR is outputting a good continuous time code signal, otherwise you may need an goo time base corrector between the vcr and computer.
Cheers

Okay. Thanks. I still find it a little odd. I would think the 525 is vertical lines and if that is actually 480 it seems like the setting should show 480i59.94 NTSC. Oh well it doesn't matter I guess. I'm sure it will make sense someday. I do have a TBC thankfully because I've never been able to get the Intensity to lock onto VHS without one.

Regarding deinterlacing. I have been wanting to try QTGMC method but it appears to be harder to accomplish on a Mac. Does anyone by chance know anything about that? Thanks a lot for the knowledge!

Eric-Jan

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

A lot of the lines of the analog video signal where never shown on CRT tv's, vcr dirt, Macrovision on prerecorded video tapes, Closed Captioning data for subtitles, Teletext/Ceefax (info text service in Europe) where all hidden in those lines outside the CRT "image".
de-interlacing:
MPEGstreamclip is also available on mac, it is a encoding/rough edit tool, and has an option for de-interlacing, you should try it, it also accepts .mov files, i guess tools to de-interlace have lots of settings, but you need to know a lot about, to make good use of them.
I try to avoid that, and start first with free versions, Youtube is also a great help for "how-to's"
I will do some experiments on de-interlacing in the future, when i have some interlaced captures, and will add this to my original #1 post,

btw. the multipass function of MPEGstreamclip does not work properly with me on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 grapics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.
without multipass it works fine.
With anamorph you would keep the same resolution, with LetterBox you would loose resolution either way.

The lines are allways horizontal, When WideScreen came into play, you could watch it either LetterBoxed, or Fullframe on a 4:3 screen, later, other "in between" options became possible, to "bridge" things to keep everybody happy, depending on content or tv.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 am

Denny Smith wrote:Actually, 525i94 is 720x480, just another way of noting it, like some manufacturers use 60i to deonote 59.94i. So for NTSC SD, use the 525i94 setting, and it should work just fine, as long as the VCR is outputting a good continuous time code signal, otherwise you may need an goo time base corrector between the vcr and computer.
Cheers

To the previous poster:
The difference is : we are talking about two different formats, one is analog, (lines) the other is digital, (pixels)
The analog signal is: PAL = 625 lines (two interlaced fields) and NTSC = 525 lines (two interlaced fields)
PAL becomes 720x576 pixels digital resolution, NTSC becomes 720x480 pixels digital resolution,
most of the time progressive, which means the "frame" is a complete picture, which is part of amount of pictures per second,
a WIKI can explain it much better than me... you should check the software you are using, which other settings are used, and google for the specs of those.
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krikro1952

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 7:39 pm

There is a lot of good info on this thread. Thanks. I'm digitizing svhs through Media Express on a mac. I've tried all of the codec options. They all look the same to me. You used ProRes422 and ProRes422 LT for your vhs. What is the best codec to use for svhs?

Eric-Jan

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:23 am

krikro1952 wrote:There is a lot of good info on this thread. Thanks. I'm digitizing svhs through Media Express on a mac. I've tried all of the codec options. They all look the same to me. You used ProRes422 and ProRes422 LT for your vhs. What is the best codec to use for svhs?

Well you've said it yourself in your answer,

The quality of SuperVHS will be a good source, where you maybe won't see any degradation in the first generation of it, when using the Proxy version of ProRes, as soon you have any noise patterns in bad quality VHS recordings, you will see difference soon,
ProRes is meant to offload the hardware/software the workload it must do, like "transport" in a system,from one point to the other point, like from capturing en going to storage on a HDD or SSD, or during editing and adding effects.

So, if you have a good quality source, you don't have much to worry.
When quality of a VHS tape is bad, you should be using a version that will compress less, ProRes is a codec
from the Apple (Mac) company, they have a "white paper" there's table graphic which shows how compression relates to quality and file size, also to x generation from copy of a copy where de-generation can occur, you get a idea what /where it all relates to.
https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/doc ... _Paper.pdf

I hope you get a good idea from my answer, if you really want highest possible quality from ProRes, you should look with which version you get dropped frames during capture, or hickups during your post production,
Then you know what your hardware or software can handle, but large files is just overkill when you don't see any difference, and you're using it at just a step during your post production.
The compression of ProRes differs from a codec like MP4, each frame is reworked with ProRes, while MP4 stores parts that not have changed, if there's still some fine noise in your final ProRes, result, your coding to MP4 will sometimes "filter" this away :)
If you want to store the ProRes files as backup, for future "re working projects" you can make other "setups" i guess ...
MP4 or MKV as an end product is maybe more important, bitrate video (how big the file gets) and what quality, is a balance between quality and filesize, and if you play it on a big display or just your smartphone,
A lot of it is just experimenting with it... and if is it for yourself or somebody else.
Storage on 2.5 HDD is more safe for backup, 3.5 HDD drives get hot, and have more troubles over time is my experience, DVD or CD's aren't that bad like they thought in the early days , though should be stored out of direct light.

okay, this is it for now, ask me again, if i missed out on something,

bye,

Christer Hiort

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 5:42 pm

I apologize if this has been answered, but would this capture work?

PAL Video Cam output with SCART ->SCART to S-Video converter -> S-Video input on Thunderbolt Shuttle

I guess what is important as noted on previous posts is that the Shuttle capture software is set to PAL ?

I.e. I would NOT need a PAL/NTSC VCR (mutisystem) to capture ?

Thanks

Eric-Jan

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 7:47 pm

Christer Hiort wrote:I apologize if this has been answered, but would this capture work?

PAL Video Cam output with SCART ->SCART to S-Video converter -> S-Video input on Thunderbolt Shuttle

I guess what is important as noted on previous posts is that the Shuttle capture software is set to PAL ?

I.e. I would NOT need a PAL/NTSC VCR (mutisystem) to capture ?

Thanks

First of all.... a video cam recorder/player ? I never heard of such a thing with SCART connection, you are sure this is not a japaneese or China product ? SCART is/has being/been used in europe or PAL regions.
Could you give more info on the "cam" ? brand and type name/number ?
Avoid converters, most of the time they do not what they promise,
Also... the s-video connection could already be a connection/pin in the SCART connector !
That's why (good) info on the "cam" is important for this, and what you are trying to achieve,
because there could be an other solution for a good capture.

indeed you can setup the Shuttle for PAL or NTSC, no need for conversion, conversion/converters will give quality loss.

your capture will result in a 720x576 or 720x480 format, depending the tv standard, and if both tape and player are of the same tv system, or switchable, if the "cam" serves as player, (only PAL60 or NTSC50 could be a problem)
If the cam is indeed just a video camera, (no tape involved) the camera signal should be stable enough to capture, when used on a tripod, The Intensity Shuttle needs a good stable video signal, most "normal" VHS VCR's can't deliver that, because once the video signal is put on tape, it's a mechanical "thing" that makes the signal, and the quality of the mechanism is important in such a case, only good electronics can make this better, internaly or externaly, already mentioned in the previous posts here.

Christer Hiort

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 10:01 pm

The camera is a Philips VKR 6837 Explorer.
It has an A/V out with a DIN looking round connector. I remember that it had a SCART in the other end.
I bought this in Holland in 1988.
However, I have bigger problems with just getting it to start up properly. :oops:
It turns on and then off like it is loosing power. (While connected directly to power)
But that would be for another Forum.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 11:22 pm

I found the manual online for this camera recorder/player, for use with vhs cassettes, although old, this is a very advanced camera ! it can do insert editing, to begin with :)
You can connect a title generator, which means it synchronizes the title signal with the tape/camera signal,
it uses VITC which could be a sign that this "device" has a signal to sync up with a second device for editing of scenes, or maybe could help you to get a clean video signal (with extra device) for capturing.
so, for now i can say there's a good chance that you can capture in a good way, from this camera, and that the recordings made with this camera are of good quality.
this camera also uses a button cell battery, did you know that ? if not, you should maybe put a new one in, so it remembers stored settings.(this button cell is also used for the timecode it records with the video signal, is my guess)
The camera itself uses RCA connectors, so it will give no s-video output on the optional SCART cable, converting to s-video is also not much of use, you gain nothing with that, composite is what you will need to use for capture, in this case, so you should try that with the Intensity Shuttle, if this will not work, you should try a passthrough option with a VHS/DVD (recorder) combo, or a DVD/HDD recorder, as passthrough or making Mpeg 2 or Mpeg 4 files etc.....

Oops, i see i overlooked a question from you, regarding PAL/NTSC,
converting from one to the other is not needed, as long your equipment and tapes are of the "same kind" you set the Intensity Shuttle in that mode, If you have a multi-system device, the question is, if there's a conversion "going on" is it true PAL or true NTSC, for meeting the capture "demands" this is because PAL countries and NTSC contries have different mains (AC) frequencies, but i guess the camcorder and Intensity Shuttle are the only ones "in play" so there should not be any inconvenience of some sort of that.

The problem of switching off could be a powersupply problem, electrolitic capacitors that are "worn out" over due time wise, have gotten old... or also in the camera itself, and need replacing, i'm no expert in that so you should ask for a second opinion for that.
An other option would be to use an other player, and put your camera tape(s) in a VHS VCR, for capturing your camera tapes.

hope this helps,

new_user

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Hello,
First off, thanks for posting this info.
Unfortunately I'm still having an issue that I'm wondering if you might understand better than me...

I got my Intensity Extreme all rigged up to my Panasonid 4-head VCR. I figured out all the composite/rgb configurations and compressed codecs and such. But I'm still having problems, ONLY ON CERTAIN TAPES.

Of maybe 30 VHS cassettes so far about 6 of them are playing back (and being captured) with intermittent hiccups. I've noticed the faster the speed the tape was recorded at, or the nicer the tape itself, then better the playback/capture from the BLD (in general, though not always). Some tapes are jumpy at the beginning and then settle into a relatively smooth capture (there might be dropped frames but if so they are not enough to notice). Conversely, some tapes are smooth for a while and then start to have the issue as the tapes wares on. I don't know if this is a TBC issue but my first guess is no, since some tapes are fine and others are fine for long portions of the tape. I'm guessing it is just damaged portions of tape but when transferring digitally it is hard to stomach the dropouts. At least in the analog world distortions are a little "scratchy" or the image gets wavy for a moment, but these dropouts are just a harsh CUT/CLIP.

I would love if you have any insight into this, even if it is just confirming what you've mentioned above.

Thank you in advance,
Craig

Eric-Jan

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 12:04 am

@new_user: Looks like your VCR isn't that suitable for capturing, Don't expect long-play recorded VHS tapes to capture at all..... the video signal is way too dirty to capture from any VCR.
(a vcr with more heads can bring some improvement)
A VCR with build-in TBC should work better, but is also no guarantee.
Try to get hold of a passthrough device, like a DVD recorder,(some also have a HDD) or a combo recorder (DVD&VHS).
There's also an option so the capture won't stop at dropped frames, at the Preferences of Media Express, if you had not already have set that.
With dropped frames you will loose sound sync.
The combo i use has internal electrical "video cleanup" (it's no TBC) why and how this works i don't know, i don't know if other VHS "devices" have this same thing....

(A DV camera or Digital8 camera could be your "last resort" but you need Firewire on your PC/Laptop, and you don't need the Intensity in that case)

you can do a test:a tape that has some dropped frames: copy this tape to an other one, and see if the dropped frames are gone, the disadvantage is that you loose picture quality this way....
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

new_user

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 am

Thank you! I just transferred a tape that was recorded on SLP an after 10 min the tape played smoothly for another 4 hours. I'm going to try the pass-through method next for the tapes that haven't worked.
Best,
Craig

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm

After some experiments, due time, I "discovered" some facts about how to get the video signal clean, (by means of a passthrough device)
and give acceptable capture quality, these are some of the main things:
Using a passthrough device: these can be different types: a VHS/DVD combo recorder >that's not a VCR with build-in DVD player ! a stand-alone DVD recorder, sometimes also equipped with a hard-disk (HDD)
these devices have already the specs to transfer VHS to HDD or DVD
Using a TBC will also work (if you know what you are doing) for the Intensity Shuttle, but the ones that will work, are 2ndhand professional ones,
Which are hard to find, and will also be expensive because of that, and you should consider, if you want to spend that much money, for what VHS quality offers you.
What I recently discovered , with the help of Pascal, an other video enthusiast, is, that you can use a converter if anything else doesn't work.. there will be some slight quality loss, also depending on the quality of such a converter....
The converter in question is the AH-31, it converts composite video (RCA yellow) and analog audio (RCA red-white) to HDMI 1280x720/60p or 1920x1080/60p, this will be the VCR signal (4:3) stretched into 16:9 format.
(setting it for the "720" mode is preferred, which is already slightly upscaled, and doesn't do any good)
This converter will accept PAL, NTSC, PAL60, and NTSC50, but one should use this "option" only when everything else fails, because there is some quality loss this way.
I think it's an advantage of the Intensity Shuttle, that it has multiple inputs/outputs.
The stretched output is easy to convert to 4:3 in post, this converter costs about 60 euros, during conversion it seems to have some stabelizing "features" but, you must decide for yourself if this is acceptable.

new_user

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 pm

new_user wrote:Hello,
First off, thanks for posting this info.
Unfortunately I'm still having an issue that I'm wondering if you might understand better than me...

I got my Intensity Extreme all rigged up to my Panasonid 4-head VCR. I figured out all the composite/rgb configurations and compressed codecs and such. But I'm still having problems, ONLY ON CERTAIN TAPES.

Of maybe 30 VHS cassettes so far about 6 of them are playing back (and being captured) with intermittent hiccups. I've noticed the faster the speed the tape was recorded at, or the nicer the tape itself, then better the playback/capture from the BLD (in general, though not always). Some tapes are jumpy at the beginning and then settle into a relatively smooth capture (there might be dropped frames but if so they are not enough to notice). Conversely, some tapes are smooth for a while and then start to have the issue as the tapes wares on. I don't know if this is a TBC issue but my first guess is no, since some tapes are fine and others are fine for long portions of the tape. I'm guessing it is just damaged portions of tape but when transferring digitally it is hard to stomach the dropouts. At least in the analog world distortions are a little "scratchy" or the image gets wavy for a moment, but these dropouts are just a harsh CUT/CLIP.

I would love if you have any insight into this, even if it is just confirming what you've mentioned above.

Thank you in advance,
Craig

UPDATE:
I was able to rectify this issue by using a passthrough device (in my case a basic Pioneer DVR HDD/DVD Recorder). I'm sure I lost a little fidelity by adding another analog device to the chain but it was better than the cutting-in-and-out that I was getting.

Eric-Jan

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Good to hear ! maybe you can skip a shackle in the audio chain ?
put the (original) audio source directly into the capture device ?
any sync issues can be corrected, in post, if any.
Also, you could lower the audio volume during the capture in the BMD Video Setup, this will also lower the weak sounds.

genfersee

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm

Hello!

Did you ever try the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle in SECAM mode? Does it work? :shock:

Thanks in advance!

Eric-Jan

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:09 am

I did not come accross any SECAM setting in the BMD software, SECAM has a different color sceme,
you should just try it, or did you allready ?
Maybe start a ticket/email at BMD tech service they might put it in the next software update.
Or you should dive into the settings of the playin device in question, (menu system)
and look for any video output setting.
or try to use a passthrough device, converter, or scaler that will adapt this for you.

btw. if you are using the Intensity Shuttle, you might try the AH31 it adapts also PAL60 and NTSC50,
maybe SECAM will also work in this case....
(AH31 is a composite to HDMI converter)
It will give slightly some artifacts/quality loss though...

genfersee

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:I did not come accross any SECAM setting in the BMD software, SECAM has a different color sceme,
you should just try it, or did you allready ?
Maybe start a ticket/email at BMD tech service they might put it in the next software update.
Or you should dive into the settings of the playin device in question, (menu system)
and look for any video output setting.
or try to use a passthrough device, converter, or scaler that will adapt this for you.

btw. if you are using the Intensity Shuttle, you might try the AH31 it adapts also PAL60 and NTSC50,
maybe SECAM will also work in this case....
(AH31 is a composite to HDMI converter)
It will give slightly some artifacts/quality loss though...

Thanks a lot the the info, advices! Could not try it because I do not have yet the Intensity Shuttle.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:16 pm

Did find some more info in a wiki:
Many PAL VHS recorders, with MESECAM, have had their analog tuner modified in French-speaking western Switzerland (Switzerland used the PAL-B/G analog broadcast standard while the bordering France used SECAM-L; nowadays both countries have switched their broadcasting to digital-only). The original tuner in those PAL recorders allows only PAL-B/G reception. The Swiss importers added a little circuit, with a specific IC, for the French SECAM-L standard; the tuner thus became multistandard, but the VCR recorded French broadcasts, in MESECAM. Such tapes are played in black and white on "native" SECAM VCRs, and native SECAM tapes are also played in B/W in these modified tuner VCRs. A specific stamp was added on the machines saying "PAL+SECAM".

However some special VHS video recorders are available which can allow viewers the flexibility of enjoying PAL-M recordings using a standard PAL (625/50 Hz) color TV, or even through multi-system TV sets. Video recorders like Panasonic NV-W1E (AG-W1 for the USA), AG-W2, AG-W3, NV-J700AM, Aiwa HV-MX100, HV-MX1U, Samsung SV-4000W and SV-7000W feature a digital TV system conversion circuitry.

The chance is it will be normal PAL because it was converted before recording, or the recorders mentioned above wil do the conversion for you, it's a bit of a gamble.
I see my Sony multi-system vcr does play MESECAM, question only is will it make the conversion, or will it passthrough the same signal, then one should also need a compatible tv, and the Intensity Shuttle will not capture.
but the best advise can only be given by a technical person of BlackMagic Design, by email.

Robert Khnanisho

Re: --- My (VHS) Video Capture Guide --- The best way to do

PostSat May 02, 2020 4:45 am

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. I've attempted to follow it but am running into an issue and was hoping you'd kindly try to shed some light on what could be going wrong.

My setup: VHS>Panasonic DMR-EZ48V>Component Cables>Intensity Pro 4K PCIe.
Software: Desktop Video Setup 11.5; Media Express 3.6.1
Desktop Video Settings: Video input set to component

Issue: When I set the Panasonic to progressive mode, the Desktop Video Software can't recognise an input. If I switch progressive off, there is no problem. I can even switch between NTSC/PAL with no problem as long as progressive is switched off.

Something I find odd also is this, in my Media Express, I don't seem to have the options that others mention on this forum. I've attached screenshots below to show you.

I am not sure where I am going wrong. I have captured in from the Panasonic in non-progressive mode 625i50 PAL, however, when I play it back, the video seems "slow" and not smooth like when viewing it in Media Express during capture.

Thank you.

BMD Project Video Format.png
Media Express Project Video Format
BMD Project Video Format.png (26.55 KiB) Viewed 239687 times

BMD Capture File Format.png
Media Express Capture File Format
BMD Capture File Format.png (31 KiB) Viewed 239687 times

Eric-Jan

PostThu May 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Just to be sure: you do set both BMD apps to progressive too i guess, you tried both 8 and 10 bit capture options ? i just noticed i still use an older version of Desktop Video, you're using the latest version, that should be good in this case i guess..

Robert Khnanisho

PostThu May 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Just to be sure: you do set both BMD apps to progressive too i guess, you tried both 8 and 10 bit capture options ? i just noticed i still use an older version of Desktop Video, you're using the latest version, that should be good in this case i guess..

Eric, I hope you're well.

Upon further investigation, it appears that for some reason BMD has decided to drop support for SD Progressive on the Intensity Pro 4K PCIe.

Please see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=112808

My needs are only to capture VHS, so I don't know if I should try and sell this card and buy the USB3.0 version which captures SD Progressive or just keep it.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostFri May 08, 2020 11:22 am

Generally speaking, it's always preferable capturing in interlaced mode in order to obtain the best results and avoid loss of quality. You may convert the footage into progressive via software afterwards.

From my own experience, the only way to provide any BM card with component using a Pana DVD recorder is setting progressive out "off", otherwise it won't work. That's it.

Eric-Jan

PostFri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Massimiliano Celindano wrote:Generally speaking, it's always preferable capturing in interlaced mode in order to obtain the best results and avoid loss of quality. You may convert the footage into progressive via software afterwards.

From my own experience, the only way to provide any BM card with component using a Pana DVD recorder is setting progressive out "off", otherwise it won't work. That's it.

Only the Intensity Shuttle has a setting for capturing in progressive mode from component video, with te Panasonic DMR-ES35V progressive mode this works perfect!
But maybe the Studio (version which i don't have) does even a better job in de-interlacing...
Another strange thing is: composite and s-video out in interlaced mode are also rock-steady, while the ES35V does not have any "TBC" feature, and also no Super VHS model... the electronics for component and DVD transfer "does the trick" and no MPEG2 files are needed, VHS plays over component when set to "video with component" it's possible to set the progressive mode after that.(this depends if the combo/DVD recorder has SCART connections, the RGB mode over SCART must be switched off.)
I will do some tests again, when i have the Studio license, for de-interlacing option, and noise filters for some "clean-up" of dirt that was at time of broadcast on the VHS tape.

btw @Robert Khnanisho: you can't set 625p50 in the BMD software ? (Video Setup & Media Express)
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sat May 21, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Getting Started