Hair inside camera

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MNelson

Hair inside camera

PostSat May 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi everyone I'm very new to resolve 16 and I am learning a lot. I've been successful in doing a lot of operations mainly by using goggle but I'm stumped on this. I have a .dpx sequence of a 8mm film which has a hair on every frame at the top. I assume that it was inside the camera as it's there even on different rolls of film. This is 300 feet of film about 19,000 frames. Is there a way to eliminate that hair? I tried a few different ways but when the scene changes it's messed up in that location. I would like something fairly simple as I don't want to work on all those frames one by one that would drive me more insane than I am now. I can live with the hair but would like to.get rid of it if I can.Thank you for any and all answers.

Mary

MNelson

Re: Hair inside camera

PostWed May 13, 2020 2:31 am

Is this not possible to do? If is not please let me know so I won't worry about removing it. Thank you.

Dermot Shane

PostWed May 13, 2020 6:43 pm

film restoration software can sort this, but it's not inexpensive or fast or easy to get comfortable and productive on

Resolve does have a number of the tools from the now EOL'd "Revival" software in it's tool box, so i'd try those first, for the price and ease of use, and good first place to turn to

MNelson

PostWed May 20, 2020 3:39 am

Yes Resolve does have some tools maybe too many. The ones I have fumbled with didn't work as I thought they should. When a moving object crossed the area it was obvious something was wrong. Changing scenes was a problem too. Would I have to make a repair of some type for every change of scene? How do you handle .moving objects? I'm sure Resolve can do this I just dont know how. For one roll of film I'm not going to try and learn the 1 million things Resolve can do. I've already invested more than a week trying to do this now. Can anyone point me at the correct tool for doing this and how it works please. Maybe there's a youtube video somewhere? I cant find anything like this. Maybe it's impossible but I would like to know that too. Thank you.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Silhouette Paint comes to my mind, but you'll need the standalone since the plug-in for Resolve is unfinished (only working in 8 bit). Even with professional restoration software, this will involve a lot of manual, tedious frame-by-frame work.

Film restoration is expensive because of this, not just the software. 19.000 frames? Ouch. I'd say: wait a few years until an AI can handle it. Or live with what you get, the shortcomings you describe are typical for today's automatic tools. Applying them on a clip-by-clip base will help with the effect on cuts.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

MNelson

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm

This is what I was afraid of. I can crop it but that would take a lot of the image away. It's not so bad if I don't stabilize because it just stays there but when stabilized it jumps around and is a distraction. Thanks for the information.

Harold Tomlinson

PostFri May 22, 2020 12:59 am

The success of this will depend on the angle and size of the damage and what is moving across the area. What if you overlay the film on itself, make the damaged area transparent, and offset the underlying footage. You may need to make a number of cuts and adjustments when a brighter, more obvious object passes by the damaged area underneath, but if the damage is small enough, you might get away with this.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

MNelson

PostFri May 22, 2020 7:52 pm

That is something I didn't know you could do. Like I said Resolve can do a million things and I only know a handful of easy stuff. Thanks for this and will it a try but it may be way more work than it's worth. This is just a home made 8mm film and probably doesn't warrant untold hours of work. Thanks again.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 22, 2020 9:08 pm

I'd try the Automatic Dirt Removal. Make a vignette for the hair with very soft edges and play with the parameters. But it'll only work if that hair is moving from frame to frame, like vibrating around, which it often does due to the movement of the film. The other tool for restoration, Dust Buster, involves too much manual work.
If the hair stays fixed, better try what Harold suggested.

The external tool I mentioned, Silhouette, is for perfection, but too much work for that much footage.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production