Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

antoine

Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

PostTue May 05, 2020 9:27 am

Hi,

I'm part of the team working on BRAW Studio a Blackmagic RAW importer for Adobe CC

It seems to me that the latest Blackmagic RAW Player 1.7 installed by Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.7 on Windows is not shipping and registering BlackmagicRawShellExtension.dll anymore hence there are no thumbnails anymore in Windows Explorer (but old thumbnails are still there, loaded from cache).

Why did you do that ? Are you going to bring this feature back ?

Did you have trouble / interactions issues between shell thumbnail generation and the Blackmagic plugins for Adobe ? We've seen file error access issues (on both our plugin and Blackmagic official Adobe plugins), it might be related and need to know. Also, some users are still using an older version of the Player / SDK with the thumbnail generation so if there are issues they're still out there happening we need to address them

Thanks,
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic RAW Player : no thumbnails on Windows anymore

PostWed May 06, 2020 2:03 am

We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

svdstaak

PostSun May 10, 2020 2:55 pm

CaptainHook wrote:We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.

This slows down my workflow tremendously, having to check all files one for one. I've got around 160 shots from a shoot last weekend and organizing them is a true hell right now. Any workaround to get this working again please? Even if that bug is trying to delete Windows, I'd rather have that than missing this. :P

antoine

PostTue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Steven, you could always install back again 1.6
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

antoine

PostFri May 15, 2020 1:33 am

CaptainHook wrote:We had to remove it to workaround a last minute bug that was found in 1.7 just before release. We do plan to bring it back in future releases, yes.

Thanks for the feedback. Will the next update be released soon ?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 15, 2020 3:25 am

In general we can't comment on future releases/plans sorry so I can't say when this may get re-introduced.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

antoine

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:27 am

Always worth trying :D

karpenko_a

PostFri May 15, 2020 7:16 pm

What needs to be setup so that thumbnails of braw files 6K in windows 10 work again?

antoine

PostSat May 16, 2020 7:03 am

As said earlier in the topic, reinstall BRAW SDK 1.6.1

karpenko_a

PostSat May 16, 2020 8:53 pm

antoine wrote:As said earlier in the topic, reinstall BRAW SDK 1.6.1

Files Recorded in braw 4K 50p OK. Files recorded in braw 6K 50p are not visible thumbnail (windows 10)

123123.JPG
123123.JPG (132.35 KiB) Viewed 36606 times

antoine

PostSat May 16, 2020 9:37 pm

For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

svdstaak

PostWed May 20, 2020 10:39 pm

antoine wrote:For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

This didn't work for me. Uninstalled all BM software, installed BMRaw SDK 1.6.1. Nothing... deleted thumbnails, restarted etc etc.

antoine

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:47 pm

svdstaak wrote:
antoine wrote:For anyone wondering here, BRAW Studio doesn't make Windows Explorer thumbnails, you need to either go back to Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.6.1 or wait for the next update 1.7.1 (or 1.8 ?)

This didn't work for me. Uninstalled all BM software, installed BMRaw SDK 1.6.1. Nothing... deleted thumbnails, restarted etc etc.

Maybe try with version 1.6 then. I'm not from Blackmagic Design so I don't know when they removed the feature

karpenko_a wrote:Files Recorded in braw 4K 50p OK. Files recorded in braw 6K 50p are not visible thumbnail (windows 10)

123123.JPG

I don't think it's about 4K vs. 6K it's about : if thumbnails were generated with a previous version (that had thumbnails generation enabled) then they were cached (Thumbs.db), all new .braw that appeared after the new version was installed don't have thumbnails generated anymore.

tycooko

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Would there be a reason why neither version 1.6.1 nor 1.4 display any thumbnail for me?

I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1909 (18363.836) and the clips are UHD 8:1 BRAW clips out of a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with the latest firmware.
Resolve Studio 18.6.2 (BUILD 2)
macOS Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)
2023 16-inch M2 Max MacBook Pro (Mac14,6), 12 CPU cores, 38 GPU cores, 64 GB LPDDR5X RAM

tycooko

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am

Wow. So much help! xD
2023 16-inch M2 Max MacBook Pro (Mac14,6), 12 CPU cores, 38 GPU cores, 64 GB LPDDR5X RAM

antoine

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 pm

At least if we could know when BRAW 1.8 will get out that would be helpful

antoine

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Since this is affecting our users in all Adobe apps, especially After Effects we published an article to warn our users :

Blackmagic RAW 1.7 Bug : no thumbnails and file access issues

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Blackmag ... ess-Issues

Bryan Rai

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 5:06 am

1.8 was released a day ago.
And the thumbnail issue still continues.
The worst part is if my premiere project was saved with a 1.7 then installing 1.6 will cause vertical red lines to appear on the footages.

xchrisx

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Blackmagic PLEASE fix this issue on Windows!!

antoine

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 am

Bryan Rai wrote:1.8 was released a day ago.
And the thumbnail issue still continues.
The worst part is if my premiere project was saved with a 1.7 then installing 1.6 will cause vertical red lines to appear on the footages.

You can use BRAW Studio to avoid glitches decoding Blackmagic RAW in Adobe

UserOS

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm

return thumbnail
Ryzen 9 5950X / MSI RTX 4090 Liquid X / DDR4 64Gb / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb / Windows 11 Pro 23H2 / BMPCC 4K

antoine

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:37 pm

Captain Hook has indicated that a BETA of BRAW API 2.0 should be coming soon for Windows. Let's hope thumbnails will be back ! :)

DerPaule13

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 10:19 am

+1
Please bring thumbnails back :)
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

antoine

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 5:03 am

Thumbnails are back in the Windows BETA2 of Blackmagic RAW SDK 2.0. Could anyone from Blackmagic confirm this has been fixed in this version ?
Thanks

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 9:13 am

Yes it was addressed in the 2.0 Beta2 release.

antoine

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks for the confirmation, that's great !

tycooko

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 9:21 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Yes it was addressed in the 2.0 Beta2 release.

I still don't see the thumbnails.
I've uninstalled the old version of the player, cleaned the cache, rebooted my system, installed the new version, rebooted again, and I still just see the player's logo as a thumbnail.

antoine

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:28 am

Seems to work for me. Matteo what if you copy paste a .braw does the newly created .braw has a thumbnail ?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:28 am

tycooko wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:Yes it was addressed in the 2.0 Beta2 release.

I still don't see the thumbnails.
I've uninstalled the old version of the player, cleaned the cache, rebooted my system, installed the new version, rebooted again, and I still just see the player's logo as a thumbnail.

Have thumbnails for Blackmagic RAW ever worked for you? (on 1.6 etc?) Do thumbnails for other media types work for you?
What are your machine specs (CPU/GPU)? Is Windows set to english on your system or another language?

tycooko

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 8:38 am

CaptainHook wrote:Have thumbnails for Blackmagic RAW ever worked for you? (on 1.6 etc?

I seem to remember that they have, although the last time they did must have been at least one year ago, and since they started not to work, they haven't worked anymore with any version (even the oldest ones) of Blackmagic RAW.

CaptainHook wrote:Do thumbnails for other media types work for you?

Yes, they do.

CaptainHook wrote:What are your machine specs (CPU/GPU)?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 4150 Mhz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 590 Series, 8 GB VRAM, GDDR5 2000 Mhz
RAM: 64 GB

CaptainHook wrote:Is Windows set to english on your system or another language?

No, it is set in European Spanish.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks for the details, we will try to reproduce it.
Are there any non-standard English chars in the path names to where your Blackmagic RAW clips are? We had an issue before where some characters in other languages could cause some problems but we believe we fixed that issue - we haven't had a report like yours for thumbnails not working at all even with older builds so just trying to narrow down the differences in your setup. Thanks!

tycooko

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:55 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Thanks for the details, we will try to reproduce it.
Are there any non-standard English chars in the path names to where your Blackmagic RAW clips are? We had an issue before where some characters in other languages could cause some problems but we believe we fixed that issue - we haven't had a report like yours for thumbnails not working at all even with older builds so just trying to narrow down the differences in your setup. Thanks!

So, the short answer is no (and I know which issue you're referring to, and it affected me in the past, but not anymore). Moreover, I don't think that's it, because my boyfriend (with another European Spanish OS) has downloaded 2.0 and can perfectly see the thumbnails. It doesn't even seem to be connected to old clips: I've just downloaded new BRAW trial clips from the official website and they appear as icons and not thumbnails, too. My system must keep a cache somewhere...

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:33 am

It does seem if you have tried with new clips and its still not working that the cache wouldn't be involved, but if you want to try fully clear the cache (which can be aggressively persistent) try these steps to clear the cache fully and let us know if it makes a difference:
  • Type command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
  • Right click on the command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
  • Paste the following commands and press Enter after each command:
  • ie4uinit.exe -show
  • taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
  • DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
  • DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
  • shutdown /r /f /t 00

tycooko

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am

CaptainHook wrote:It does seem if you have tried with new clips and its still not working that the cache wouldn't be involved, but if you want to try fully clear the cache (which can be aggressively persistent) try these steps to clear the cache fully and let us know if it makes a difference:
  • Type command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
  • Right click on the command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
  • Paste the following commands and press Enter after each command:
  • ie4uinit.exe -show
  • taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
  • DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db"
  • DEL /A /F /Q "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*"
  • shutdown /r /f /t 00

Nothing! :(
Thanks for suggesting it, though.

antoine

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Matteo, when you double click on
Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic RAW\Blackmagic RAW Player\BlackmagicRAWPlayer.exe
and go in the About do you see Version 2.0 written ?

Does the following file exists ?

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic RAW\Blackmagic RAW Player\BlackmagicRawAPI\BlackmagicRawShellExtension.dll

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 2:22 am

tycooko wrote:Nothing! :(
Thanks for suggesting it, though.

Just to rule out the obvious, thumbnails are definitely enabled in explorer for you? You mentioned thumbnails for other media work so I assume so, but just to double check maybe check here for reference on how to make sure they're enabled:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/188 ... -10-a.html

Also, do previews in explorer work for you? Press alt+p when in Explorer to open the preview pane, and select a file.

tycooko

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am

CaptainHook wrote:You mentioned thumbnails for other media work so I assume so, but just to double check maybe check here for reference on how to make sure they're enabled:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/188 ... -10-a.html

I've just followed that guide. I have the options that are supposed to be checked, checked, and the options that are supposed to be unchecked, unchecked; but it isn't surprising as the result is what one would expect: all the image or video files show their respective thumbnails.
It's particularly evident in some of the folders where I stored my .braw files, where, at the very side of these, are .mp4 files with their correct thumbnails displayed.

CaptainHook wrote:Also, do previews in explorer work for you? Press alt+p when in Explorer to open the preview pane, and select a file.

Yes. .mp4 show a thumbnail in that pane, too, while .braw trigger a blank pane.

antoine

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Once you answer my questions I will give you how to check in regedit the .dll is registered

tycooko

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 pm

antoine wrote:Once you answer my questions I will give you how to check in regedit the .dll is registered

Sorry, Antoine! I didn't see your post! My bad!
The answer for both your questions is yes. I see version "2.0" written there and I see that file in that folder.

tycooko

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 7:15 pm

?

antoine

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:47 am

Press Windows key and R key then type "regedit", Enter key, CTRL+F, copy paste "BlackmagicRawShellExtension.dll" there and give us all the occurrences you find (the path on the left navigation bar), F3 to jump to next occurence.

What could help maybe is to click right "Export" the .reg related to each key you find. Maybe one is missing

Do you ever get the Windows Explorer crashing by the way ?

tycooko

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am

Since I didn't know where to click "export" (whether the main "category" where it's found that element or the exact folder inside the category), I've clicked both and generated two exports: --> https://we.tl/t-85484dpLZ4 .
These are the only instances it has found (please, see attachment, too).

Windows Explorer has never crashed on me, no.
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (258.12 KiB) Viewed 34400 times

antoine

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:37 am

Looks good... How weird.

Could you try re installing BRAW API v1.6 ? See if the thumbnails are back. then uninstall, install again v2.0 BETA to be sure.

Maybe CaptainHook will have more ideas of things to try

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:44 pm

We have tried to reproduce the issue with a similar CPU so far but no luck (thumbnails work on our test machines).
If you can think of anything else unique to your setup that may help us reproduce please let us know.

tycooko

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:36 pm

antoine wrote:Looks good... How weird.

Could you try re installing BRAW API v1.6 ? See if the thumbnails are back. then uninstall, install again v2.0 BETA to be sure.

Maybe CaptainHook will have more ideas of things to try

No luck. I still only see the logo.

tycooko

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 pm

CaptainHook wrote:We have tried to reproduce the issue with a similar CPU so far but no luck (thumbnails work on our test machines).
If you can think of anything else unique to your setup that may help us reproduce please let us know.

The only thing that has always been weird is that, at some point, I don't know when and how, .braw files have connected to uTorrent. I can't remember exactly if someone using the PC has selected uTorrent as the application to open every .braw file or if it was something else, but, since then, uTorrent seems to have become the default program to open .braw files, unless I manually select something else.
For instance: to follow Antoine's suggestion and try Braw 1.6, I had to uninstall the version I had in my PC. The very moment that happened, without selecting any other application myself, my PC "decided" that it would open .braw files with uTorrent and said application's logo appeared in the place of the Braw Player's logo for each .braw file.
I have tried everything to get rid of uTorrent from the list of "Open with" apps when I select a .braw file, but to no avail.
Even Adobe Bridge is "convinced" that uTorrent is the default application to open .braw and when I tell my OS to always open them with Braw Player, that doesn't have any change inside of Bridge, which keeps trying to open them with uTorrent.

Maybe this has something to do with what's happening?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 1:03 am

Could very well be the course of the problem, yes.
Have you tried this method?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/hel ... t-programs

Otherwise, could you try uninstall uTorrent from your machine completely, then remove/reinstall Blackmagic RAW?

tycooko

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 11:24 am

CaptainHook wrote:Could very well be the course of the problem, yes.

Otherwise, could you try uninstall uTorrent from your machine completely, then remove/reinstall Blackmagic RAW?

When going to that section of my settings, before uninstalling anything, Braw Player is correctly configured as the default app to use to open .braw files.
When I uninstall uTorrent, Adobe Bridge keeps trying to use it to open the files. It looks for uTorrent, and simply warns me that it can't find it in its normal path. There is absolutely no way to change the application within Bridge as the people at Adobe, after months of supporting Blackmagic's codec in Premiere Pro, have yet to add it in the list of file formats in Bridge...
I then uninstall Braw Player and the .braw files, obviously, turn "blank" (the standard white box in Windows that signals that there's no application to open a file).
Installing Braw Player again (before installing uTorrent again) doesn't change the end result: now I can play .braw video files again, but I still can't see their thumbnails.

[UPDATE]
One thing I was finally able to do was disconnecting uTorrent from .braw files: there was some old copy of the program hidden within the mess that is Windows' folders system (I really regretted giving it a try after 15 years with Macbooks) and now, after installing uTorrent again, my OS doesn't list the application in the "Open with" dialog of .braw files and Adobe Bridge correctly opens the files with Braw Player instead of uTorrent. Still no thumbnail, though. :(

tycooko

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:11 am

tycooko wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:Could very well be the course of the problem, yes.

When going to that section of my settings, before uninstalling anything, Braw Player is correctly configured as the default app to use to open .braw files.
When I uninstall uTorrent, Adobe Bridge keeps trying to use it to open the files. It looks for uTorrent, and simply warns me that it can't find it in its normal path. There is absolutely no way to change the application within Bridge as the people at Adobe, after months of supporting Blackmagic's codec in Premiere Pro, have yet to add it in the list of file formats in Bridge...
I then uninstall Braw Player and the .braw files, obviously, turn "blank" (the standard white box in Windows that signals that there's no application to open a file).
Installing Braw Player again (before installing uTorrent again) doesn't change the end result: now I can play .braw video files again, but I still can't see their thumbnails.

[UPDATE]
One thing I was finally able to do was disconnecting uTorrent from .braw files: there was some old copy of the program hidden within the mess that is Windows' folders system (I really regretted giving it a try after 15 years with Macbooks) and now, after installing uTorrent again, my OS doesn't list the application in the "Open with" dialog of .braw files and Adobe Bridge correctly opens the files with Braw Player instead of uTorrent. Still no thumbnail, though. :(

So, "unfortunately", the only thing that did it was to completely wipe everything out, format the whole system and do a clean install of Windows 10: now I can see the thumbnails again! ;)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 10:03 am

Glad you got it going but unfortunate that we never learned the cause of the issue. Thanks for reporting back.
Next

Return to Software Developers