Audio help when using Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with PS4

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

arcane-mystic

Audio help when using Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with PS4

PostSun May 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi there, I'm really new to all of this so I'm sorry for the ignorance. I'll try my best to explain everything but I may get things wrong so bear with me. I am so frustrated as I've been trying to solve this issue for days and I'm at a loss. It possibly cannot be done. But let's try, anyway.

I'm trying to stream my PS4 gameplay to Twitch using Streamlabs OBS on a Mac and the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt. The connection path is PS4, HDMI out into the Shuttle, HDMI out in the TV.

Now, I can get the video working fine. It displays in the OBS preview window and my HDMI out to the TV is displaying fine. But the audio is the problem. It's like I'm losing audio channels - I can't hear any sounds that are supposedly behind me or on top of me in the game. This does not occur when I go straight from the PS4 to the HDMI in on the TV. I can hear in perfect Surround when I do that. What is it about the Shuttle that is fooling my PS4 into only generating 2 channels, left and right, when the PS4 is set the Surround Sound? I can't change the PS4 settings off Surround Sound, either - it's either 5.1 or 7.1ch. I've poked around the audio settings for the Shuttle but I can't work it out.

The other problem I'm having is that if want to listen to the game through headphones while I steam, and also let the Shuttle capture the audio from the PS4 at the same time... but I can't. This is because when you plug a headset into the PS4, it stops outputting sound through the HDMI path, so the Shuttle isn't picking anything up. And I can't route the audio through the TV because I lose those audio channels. Is there a workaround for this? I know this isn't a PS4 forum but I thought if anyone would know, it would be you guys.

Please - I don't know where else to go. Is there ANY help you guys can give me? I'm at a loss. I spent so much money on this streaming setup only to be stumped at the last moment by this audio issue and I'm tearing my hair out.

Return to Post Production